Chapter 38 - Realize

4D: Book of Friendship

3rd Person’s POV

Jeril was sleeping in the couch by the time that the rest of the 4D came home. Erika carried her up to her bunk and decided to ask what happened tomorrow. But noticing the cans of beers, it obviously didn’t go well. Jeril would have to explained a lot, and pays a lot.

The next day, Jeril woke up with a hangover. Her head is pounding, making her groan as she stood up from her bed. That’s when she realized that she was in her bunk bed.

She didn’t jump down like she always used to, making the rest of the girls see how much she lost her energy. They all sat down to eat breakfast but Jeril didn’t have the appetite.

“Do you want me to grab you some medicine?” Anika asked worriedly.

“No, I’m fine. It’s just the usual hangover, it’ll go away.” Jeril assured the girl.

“Alright, if you say so.” the main vocalist stated. “Then, atleast eat something.” she added, pushing a plate of pancakes towards Jeril. And who is she to deny her bestfriend’s request?

“If you say so.” she echoed Anika and started eating the pancakes infront of her.

“You know, I really don’t want to bring this up during breakfast but…” Erika trailed, looking at Anika and Lei for confirmation to continue. “…we wanted to know what happened.”

“Yeah, we do. It seems serious, and it also looks like you weren’t happy about it.”

“It’s fine, it wasn’t a big deal.” Jeril said, waving her hand dismissively.

“It is a big deal, Chase.” Anika joined in. “You got drunk, you rarely do that. And I know that we promised the no secrets thing, but I’m asking as your bestfriend to tell me. Please?”

The number one spot of ‘People Whipped For Choi Anika Iniel’ definitely belong to Jeril, she just couldn’t say no to the nor deny her request. Especially, when she says please.

“Well, do you want to hear the short version or the long version?”

“The long version.” the rest of the 4D said in unison.

“Geez, calm down.” Jeril muttered, rolling her eyes. “So, I never told you this before but my father’s other job is the chief of Kyoto Police Department. He’s a police and a yakuza.”

“That’s ironic.” Erika commented, and the girls to glare at her for interrupting. “Continue…”

“Next month, there’s going to be a yakuza war. It’s what you see in the movies, the all out war of yakuzas clan.” Erika looked shocked while Anika and Lei shuddered. “He doesn’t want our clan to be part of it, so he’s going to be the head chief of Japan Police Department.”

“And he came here just to tell you that?” Lei asked this time, but there was no glaring now.

“He did…” Jeril let out a sigh. “…but it wasn’t just about that. He also told me that since he’s going to be busy in his police work, he needs someone to take care of our clan. Me…”

Jeril didn’t got the reaction she expected. There wasn’t any screams, only gasped followed with the unbearable silence as the rest of the girls processed what’s happening right now.

“You…what?” Jeril did expect Anika to be the first one to break the silence, though.

“I’m taking over the clan while my father is away, someone needs to command our clan.”

“And does it really have to be you?” Jeril let out a sigh and nodded. “What about Ivan? He’s your older brother and he’s a guy, he should be the one taking over the clan instead.”

“He’s not a Jeon. I mean, he is by blood but not in father’s eyes. He doesn’t deserve it.”

“I agree with your father on that, but I disagree in letting you go kill yourself.”

“I’m not going to die, I’m just going to supervise.” then, Jeril bit her lips. “Besides, I don’t really have a choice even if I don’t want to. I already said yes to my father, okay?”

“YOU DID WHAT?” there’s the screaming. “Jeril unnie, why did you say yes?”

“Because he’s my father, I don’t have the courage to say no to him. Yeah, I know. The great gangster, Jeon Jeril Chase, is afraid of her dad.” Jeril muttered with a bitter scoff. “Don’t worry about it. I didn’t want to be an idol, anyway.” then, a solid fist landed in her face.

It hit her hard right on the jaw, causing her to stumble backward and fall down from the couch. With wide eyes, she looked up to see Erika with a stern look in her face. Uh-oh.

“What the fck did you just said?” she cursed, this is bad. “Are you picking a fight with me?”

“I should be asking you that, you’re the one who threw me a punch. And that hurts!”

“Yeah? Well, I thought it would somehow make you take your out of your head.” this is one of the rare times that Erika is so angry that her calm tone is actually chilling to hear.

“What the hell are you doing?” Jeril asked in urgency as Erika grabbed her collar and lift her.

“I’m making you realize something.” was all she said before throwing a punch, and it had hit Jeril’s left eye this time. She staggered backward at the force, and Erika really hits her hard.

“Ked unnie, stop it!” Lei and Anika had now stood up from their seat to held Erika together.

“Let me go, I still need to teach her some more.” Erika practically growled, but the two vocalist didn’t let her go so she opted to glare at Jeril instead. “Don’t you fcking dare to say those words to me again, because I really hate it when I’m being lied to.” then, it clicked.

Jeril finally get what Erika wanted her to realize. And seems like Anika and Lei did too cause both of them had loosen their hold on the oldest girl. Seein that, she approached Jeril again.

“You…” Erika trailed before lifting Jeril by the collar once more. “…are an idol. Understood?”

It took a beat before Jeril could respond. “No.” Erika clenched her fist tighter but Jeril just smirked and continued. “But I want to be one.” that got the idol to stop. “With you guys.”

“Oh.” Erika slowly letting go of Jeril and smirked. “Great. I’m glad you finally get it, buddy.”

========================================================================