Chapter 2

Mayday
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Doctor Oppa!" 

I give my wide smile when I hear someone calling me from far. I bend my knees down, open my arms and hug those tiny bodies in my arms. Our interaction has attracted a few people in the ward and they just shake their heads while chuckling. We pull away from the group hug and I was attacked.

"Doctor Oppa, you are late."  The girl with a short hair says with her pouty lips. They are all standing in front of me in a line as I am still bending my knees. 

"Aigoo, oppa is sorry. I was a little bit busy but look. I am free now and it is my lunch hour. Should we eat together ?" I ask them making all of them nod their heads before we were interrupted by a voice.

"They refuse to eat because you weren't here. It is their lunch hour, Dr." One of the staffs informs me and I give her a smile in return. I can see her cheeks getting red and she looks down while holding her clipboard.

"It is okay. I will eat with them. Thank you, Nurse." I thank her and look at the kids back. 

"Let's eat our lunch. Also, I brought fruits. Halmeoni wants you guys to eat fruits." I say showing them a bag of fruits from my mother. I then stand up and try to bring all of them in their own room. 

Yes. I work in one of the hospitals in Seoul and am currently doing residency programs which is my last year before I got my license as a doctor. I grew closer with the kids when I was assigned to do my residency programs in Pediatrics department in my first year as residency. 

They have been staying in and out of hospital for a few times due to their illness. Everybody in the hospital knows them since they are the most playful kids. We have a special area in pediatrics ward where all the kids play together. 

My mother who visits me a few times in the hospital has met them too. There was a time where I could not go home and was on on-call, she would come to the hospital to send me food and clothes. The hospital literally is my second house. The kids also called her halmeoni since she asked them to call her that way. She  never forgets her grandchildren though. Whenever she brings me food, she will also pack for the kids.

I live with my mother. Just the two of us. We are not that rich just so-so but I am glad that my mother has raised me well. She works hard to feed me and to raise me after my father passed away when I was in middle school. We live in a house that my dad left for us in Seoul. I actually had one baby sister. She passed away due to an illness. My father also passed away due to an illness and that is the strong reason why I want to be a doctor. I want to help people.

We did not have much money to cure my father and my sister's illness. One of the reasons why I want to be a doctor is because I want to give my mother money. She did a lot for me. I want to pay back all her hardwork. Just one year more and I will officially get my certificate to become a doctor. 

After having lunch with the kids, I quickly march back to my ward. I just remember that I will be having another rounds with my physician after lunch. I need to be there before he arrives though.

**

"Are you on-call tonight ?" Youngjae, my friend asks me as soon as I close the door. I assisted my surgeon just now in operation room and how I wish I could lie down on the bed straight away. By looking at him, he just came to the hospital.

"No. I was on-call yesterday." I answer as I rest my back against my chair. It is tiring since I have been working for 24 hours. Youngjae is a doctor to be too and we are from the same university.

He comes from a wealthy family but he chooses to be a doctor which make me do not understand why until now. His family owns a business and it is well known in South Korea. 

"So, it's me and Seulgi tonight ? Heol." Youngjae scoffs which makes me laugh. Seulgi is a part of our team and she has crush over Youngjae while that guy is not interested in her. No. I do not think so he is a gay. 

We are startled when the door suddenly swung open that make us stand and bow. It is one of our surgeons. Oh yeah. My surgeon that I assisted just now.

"Are you going home, ?" Dr. Choi asks me as he packs his backpack. 

"Yes, Dr." I say and stand up when seeing him walking towards me and Youngjae. 

"Alright. Rest well tonight." He pats me and turns to Youngjae before he speaks.

"And you. Do your work. Do not flirt with Seulgi."  He teases Youngjae and I cannot stop laughing so hard while Youngjae gives us his -.- face. Seulgi is actually a hospital director's daughter and was placed in the same department as us. I am glad that she never has eyes on me but Youngjae. Well. I am handsome too for your information. Maybe more handsome than Youngjae. 

I am waiting for the bus to arrive and my eyes are looking at those people who are walking to their office. Hopping in the bus, I then sit at the back and I am so thankful whenever I finish my on-call, the bus do not have many passengers. 

The journey from my hospital to my house took about 15 minutes. I cannot count how many times I have been yawning as I walk to my house. I just need some sleep as soon as I arrive.

"Son ?" I lifty head when I hear my mother's voice. I smile in return as I hug my mother. We pull away from the hug and she cups my face.

"Tired?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter