Truth Hurts

Reality or Make Believe

A/N: Welcome to chapter 5, just one more to go, and then another fic will be complete. Let’s see how Seulgi handles this, and how difficult it will be letting Tiffany know the truth, she has to know what’s really going on, of course. Please enjoy

 

Sponsor Mentions: As always, thank you very much to my sponsors. I appreciate all of you so much: AvryGeist171, royalshipper2122, DTHDHR, Bernkaset, Casti1004, jasonds,  ZombieJuhyun, 112714, falsuki, wittyadie95, Fantasiii, Km62201n, Eris78, User_name1200, Androsssss, hiraiim-trash, theRequiem78, jyrus_21, Seosunny, kingdomcomes, sleepyhead, Jewster88, InformedPuppy, Fladoodlem8, ericakate, dga214, pinkpinkypin, Moonstunt, PandaExpress69, shinneay, dmac20, Tashphobic, kiyomamoo, iamforeverlame, Mmm2392, CheezeeMyoui,  aya_ah98, bangton, Supergirl, aya_ah98, Nyssa21, Icantstandtofly, Mooncrush22, sawyer09, taeyang729, RedPaint, PengusTigerClub, Shouto818, anijit, chomisus, SleepyRu, tay_84, jjlevi93, Tekiii, LOCOppl, AliyaViktoria, YANGx_, hanz316, Samlion, Normallyotp, j33200, atlastheresam, kasey_1432, Seulsbear, Karasxo, Mehrus, izujon, Chan_94, blueam, Renhye143, Queen_ren, HornedDevil, hazelpunch, Destitutefate, fakehersmile, angeljenkins,Geekspeak00, 49ae23b700190d3928bc s1786343, Badgalval, Mavok_, Cianne, Darthhearts, bongdrr, problematique9,  Laneajasmine, Alexotto, meganz21, Shaolan Thank you so much for being sponsors. :)
 



 


 

Seulgi is engaged. She is engaged to the most amazing and wonderful woman she has ever met standing right beside her, and as much as wants to scream it out to the world, her love for Bae Joohyun. It’s not a huge secret, everyone already knows she is in love with the woman. Now is not the time that she wants to cause pain to someone she once loved too, with that being said, Seulgi knows she has to tell the truth now. She sees Tiffany staring at her with this hopeful smile, and she hates to take it away from her. However, the worst thing the artist could possibly do is prolong this.

 

“Tiffany.”

 

“Oh, we must be. We always did talk about getting married one day, remember? Once you were more stable in your career, I was trying to talk you into us maybe moving to America?”

 

This is really hard for Joohyun to hear, as Tiffany talks so much about their past, and how excitedly she looks doing so.

 

“But, Tiff…”

 

“I was planning our wedding in my head, babe, you have no idea. You know I’ve always only loved you so much.”

 

Joohyun grips her fist, how can she not even let Seulgi get a word in. The woman is continuing to talk about how much she loves Seulgi, their plans, their future, when in reality, it’s Joohyun who is the one planning her future and plans with Seulgi.

 

“Tiffany.” Joohyun gently cuts her off, and the other woman eyes her curiously. “Seulgi really needs to say something to you, can you let her talk.”

 

Tiffany stops talking then, wondering why Seulgi's friend has such an opinion in the first place. However, she chooses to not be rude, and focuses only on the monolid woman who does look distressed now that she really does look at her. In fact, Tiffany can’t recall seeing Seulgi looking quite so troubled in a long time, and that worries her very much. She grabs her hand again.

 

“What’s wrong, why are you looking like this? Can you two please leave us alone a minute? Baby what’s wrong?”

 

“She’s not your baby.” The singer has to stop herself from voicing that out loudly. Surely, this will be the last time Tiffany touches Seulgi or calls her with such affection, once she finally listens to what Seulgi has to tell her.

 

“No, they don’t need to go anywhere, but you do have to listen to me, Tiff.”

 

“Seul, whatever’s wrong it should be between us. It’s not Dr. Jung or Irene’s business, I mean no offense here, it’s our relationship, so we should talk privately.”

 

“It’s not…” Seulgi takes a breath, and slowly removes her hand. “I’m sorry, Tiffany, but it’s not what you’re thinking. You and I, we’re not engaged, we’re not even together anymore.”

 

“What?” She laughs, uneasily. Tiffany feels like the wind has been knocked out of her, the rugged pulled out from underneath her feet, or that someone has decided to play a very cruel, and unfunny trick on her. 

 

“Seul, very funny. Don’t be funny now when I’m in the hospital like this, if we’re not engaged, that’s alright, but don’t say we’re not together.”

 

“But, we’re not, Tiff.”

 

“Seul, don’t say that to me, it’s not funny…” She pauses, suddenly feeling like she could cry, unsure why the feeling is strong. Seulgi looks like she’s being serious, and not joking, and perhaps that’s why Tiffany herself feels like she might cry. She has known Seulgi a long time, and the monolid woman is not the type of person to joke and be cruel, not about anything that would hurt someone intentionally. That’s not the kind of person Kang Seulgi is.

 

“You’re not funny.”

 

“Ms. Hwang…” Jessica begins softly. “Ms. Kang isn’t trying to play a trick on you, I’m sorry.”

 

“What are you even saying to me right now, Seul, hm? What’s going on then….” Tiffany looks at the way Joohyun stands by Seulgi, and it dawns on her, something she should have noticed a lot sooner, how the other woman is trying her best to resist holding her hand, or comforting her. And then, it hits her too, another thing she notices, the other woman is wearing a ring on her finger. She is the one engaged to Seulgi, not herself. It makes sense now, when it hadn’t before. This woman isn’t Seulgi’s friend, she is Seulgi’s fiance. They are together, and it’s why she’s always here anytime Seulgi comes to the hospital. Everything hits Tiffany fast, and the tears come down her eyes faster than she can even stop them.

 

“You’re not her friend, are you?” She asks without even looking at Joohyun.

 

“No, I’m not. I’m sorry for lying to you before, but we were worried about how you would react.” Joohyun answers honestly. The truth is out now, there is no sense in further lying. 

 

Tiffany says nothing for a long moment, which is worrying. No one knows what she’s thinking or what she’ll do next, Jessica especially worries for her patient, will she break down? Will she slip into a deep denial? Whatever happens the doctor will do her best to help the situation, it is for the best Tiffany knows the truth.

 

“Seul, I don’t understand, the last thing I remember is us being together, so how is it that you love someone else so suddenly?”

 

She wouldn’t understand, because for Tiffany no time has really passed. She only knows she has been in a coma for a year. But for Seulgi it has been much longer since the woman broke her heart and ended their relationship, and giving her that time to heal, fall in love with Joohyun, who is going to be her wife.

 

“Tiffany, I know you’ve been in a coma for a year, but we’ve not been together in years.”

 

“W-What?” That news throws her off and she listens as not only Seulgi tells her what is her reality, but Dr. Jung also confirms that it has been several years since she and Seulgi were a couple. They are no longer dating, Seulgi will never forget the vacant and blank look on the woman’s face, nor will she forget the pained scream from her lips when Seulgi confirmed that Tiffany broke up with her years ago, and how she is truly engaged to Joohyun. It got so intense that Dr. Jung had no choice but to sedate Tiffany and have staff take her back to her room.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” Seulgi whispers, in shock a bit about what just happened. Joohyun right there with her arms around her fiance.

 

“Don’t apologize.” Although, she herself was also shaken by the display of seeing Tiffany so upset to the point of screaming and the tears too. The singer knew it would probably not go well, but she didn’t think it would get that bad, for now comforting Seulgi is all she can think about, and so she pulls the woman she loves to the side. 

 

“Hey, it’s not your fault. We knew something like that could happen, and now the truth is out, so we’ll deal together, like we said we would, right?” Joohyun touches her cheeks, gently wiping away some tears with her fingers. Seulgi nods and thanks her softly. That went terribly, and she knew it wouldn’t have gone any other way. 

 

“Ms. Kang, please don’t feel bad.” Jessica tells her. “The truth is out now, and I believe with time, everything should be okay. Why don’t you and Ms. Bae go home for now, get some rest, I’ll handle it from here, and if anything I’ll call you.”

 

That sounded like a plan, there was nothing either she or Seulgi could do at this point, and the two of them could use time to be together. Tiffany was here at the hospital which in truth was the exact place she needed to be.

 

“Come on, honey. We should go, there’s nothing more we can do here.”

 

Seulgi nods, and takes the shorter woman’s offered hand. Joohyun has an idea, and once out of the hospital, she gives Seulgi a moment to sit, calm down, take some deep breaths until she’s able to drive. From there she makes a suggestion of ordering their takeout to go, sensing that her partner is not in the mood to sit inside of a restaurant right now, and truth be told, Joohyun herself isn’t all that in the mood either. Now sounds like a time for being home together, enjoying the peace and quiet, talking if necessary or not, whatever they both need. Today has turned out to be one of those intense sort of days, where the couple just need to be together in whatever form that takes. Having arrived in separate cars, Joohyun can’t check on her like she wants until they are home.

 

And even when they get there, Seulgi doesn’t say much, not while they are unpacking their bags of food, or washing their hands to prepare to sit down to eat. Many times Joohyun wanted to shake her to get her attention, only deciding to wait until Seulgi felt ready. She knows today couldn’t have been easy for Seulgi at all, essentially having to break Tiffany’s heart in a way, even though her own heart was broken years ago. Because Seulgi is a kind person, who doesn’t seek the pain of others. That’s why Joohyun is patient with her, and that’s why the artist does speak, just before they officially start to eat.

 

  

Seulgi wraps her arms around the woman she loves with Joohyun wasting no time in hugging her right back. She knew that if she gave Seulgi space, no matter how hard it was, that Seulgi would come to her, because she knows Seulgi well.

 

“Hey, I love you, Hyun. I love you very much.”

 

“I love you too, Seul. Let’s eat, we didn’t go get all this delicious food for no reason, right?” Joohyun gives a warm smile that makes Seulgi smile back, being around Joohyun is enough to make her smile, even if she might not necessarily feel up to it. 

 

“Yeah, there’s a lot of food here. We shouldn’t let it go to waste, let’s eat.”

 

“Yes, let’s.”

 

And so they sit down to eat, at least for the moment they don’t have to think about what happened at the hospital. Seulgi distracts her mind by asking Joohyun about her day. She genuinely does want to hear about what happened at the studio, and how recording is going for her album. Joohyun welcomes the distraction, it’s nice to talk about work, or things going outside of the current situation.

 

“You’ll be ready to promote again soon sounds like.” Seulgi says.

 

“Well, I would probably way before we get married. I want to have my promotions done, that way we have all the time we need to focus on our wedding, not to mention a well deserved break for our honeymoon.”

 

“That sounds nice, I should be finished too with my own work long before our wedding. Being married to you is all I’m looking forward to, starting that next chapter.”

 

That’s what Joohyun looks forward to as well, taking that next step, in a more committed statement, the ultimate commitment of marriage to someone she loves more than anything. She reaches over for one of the taller woman’s hands and gives it a firm squeeze 

 

“Joy and Yerim will be happy to know that, I know they’re eager to help us figure out our wedding details.”

 

Seulgi chuckles lightly. “Oh, I’m sure they are. If we let them, they'll plan both the wedding and honeymoon too, Hyun. We can’t let that happen.”
 

“No, we can’t let that happen.”

 

After they finish eating, Joohyun ends up having to handle a work related call, probably from the company and while she’s doing so. Seulgi gets an idea. They’ve both been stressed lately with what has happened in their lives, and she thinks a quick getaway would be ideal for them both, as she’s making the arrangements, nearly finished doing so when Joohyun comes up behind her, wrapping her arms around her waist and placing her head onto her back.

 

“Hey, I was coming right back, you know.” The raven says softly. “How about we watch a movie, do you want to pick since I picked last time? It could be a good way to distract us both?”

 

Seulgi turns around and leaves a soft kiss on top of Joohyun’s head. 

 

“I think a movie is a good way to distract us, but how about getting out of here for a day or so at least, if you have time for a mini vacation? A change of scenery could be good for us both, right? I made some plans in surprise, but if it doesn’t work for you, Hyun I…”

 

Seulgi gets cut off with a kiss to her lips. Joohyun thinks that’s a wonderful idea, she actually did request a few days off, and as she is an established artist, it wasn’t too difficult in asking, despite the fact she does have an album in the works at the moment, her company is relatively understanding. Joohyun knew what's going on in her personal life at the moment, so some time off was necessary.

 

“It’s perfect, sweetie.” She assures with a kiss again. “I think we could use a break, and change of scenery sounds wonderful. I’ll pack an overnight bag, this will be great for us.”

 

“I thought so, I hoped getting away for a bit would be a nice gesture, away from all the stress we’ve been dealing with lately.”

 

The singer agrees completely, they could use time away for themselves with the sudden craziness that happened, and she thanks Seulgi again with another warm hug and kiss.

 

“I know we’ll still have to deal with everything when we get home, but at least for now all we need to do is think about one another.” The monolid woman speaks when they’re both in the car and ready to go. The best thing to do is think about the moment now, being with Joohyun, anything else can be dealt with much later on.

 

“We will, Seul. We’ll deal with everything else later, right now will be for us.”

 

With one last kiss, Seulgi starts the car, and they head off for their destination. That doesn’t mean she isn’t hoping Tiffany is being taken cared of well, because she does want for her to be alright. 


 

Hwang Tiffany wakes up to see Dr. Jung by her bedside, the woman looking at her with concerned eyes, and a hint of apology.

 

“Ms. Hwang, I apologize. I’m sorry for…”

 

“Did you know the whole time?” Tiffany slowly asks, remembering everything that happened earlier when Seulgi told her that they are no longer a couple, and in fact several years had passed since the ending of their relationship. Tiffany knows she had a terrible reaction to the news, but how else should she react when it’s someone she loved, someone she still loves.

 

“I’m sorry, most of this is my fault. I should have told you the truth sooner, I was worried about your reaction. You see, time might have stopped for you in a sense, but for Seulgi many years have passed. She has moved on, has put her life back together, and is engaged to someone else. It wasn’t fair to me to have her lie, but I was looking out for you as your doctor, which I admit I handled wrongly.”

 

Tiffany hears the concern, and while she appreciates it. Perhaps it would have been easier to tell her the truth as soon as she woke up, because this hurts much more knowing she isn’t actually still with Seulgi, and Seulgi has another person in her life. Not just a girlfriend but someone she loved so much that she wishes to marry them. Tiffany closes her eyes and leans back against the pillows.

 

“I can understand I guess, but this kind of hurts a lot more, you know.”

 

“I am truly sorry, Ms. Hwang, sorry that you are hurting right now. It is my hope that with time you will recover your full memories, and start to heal properly, not just physically, but mentally too.”

 

Tiffany doesn’t say anything, she only remains laying there still in bed, gazing off into space. She hears the doctor, processes the words that she’s saying, and it makes sense logically, but her feelings are all over the place. Her mind knows the truth, but try telling that to a heart that still feels another thing. Her heart needs the time to catch up with her mind, and stop loving someone who she still feels feelings for.

 

“I should let you get some rest, but the nurses will bring you some food soon, please try and eat.”

 

Jessica is close to leaving when Tiffany calls out to her.

 

“Dr. Jung, can I please have access to a phone or computer, anything? I need to…”

 

“Say no more.” She nods. “I understand, I’ll make sure that you have your access.”

 

The truth was out now, and there was no sense in lying any further. Tiffany knows she isn’t together with Seulgi. She knows that Seulgi is engaged, and there was no point in hiding anything else. If she wished to know the full details then she should, it could possibly help with her own healing process in some way. The moment Tiffany is alone all she can do is sob quietly, she wants to remember everything, what happened to her and Seulgi, why did she break up with her? What would make them break up when they were once so in love? She wants to understand, and yet she isn’t sure if she wants to remember because maybe the memories of the past are too painful, perhaps she is better off not recalling, since for now this hurts too much as it is.

 

“Maybe, I’m better off not remembering. Maybe it’s better to live like this, in whatever reality I’m in now.”

 

She might still love Seulgi very much, but Kang Seulgi loved someone else. 

 

Kang Seulgi looked over to her dark-haired fiance, who lay laked in bed beside her, Joohyun with her head onto a tanned chest, and absentmindedly tracing circular patterns on Seulgi’s abs. They arrived at the hotel suite nearly an hour ago, with plans to sleep, but plans changed, as reconnecting on an intimate level seemed more important. Seulgi takes her hand with her engagement ring and leaves a kiss on her knuckles.

 

“Honeymoon in somewhere like Fiji, what do you think?” Seulgi asks.

 

“Yeah, I’ve never been there, and I’ve seen pictures. It looks beautiful, anywhere with you would be perfect, Seul.”

 

Joohyun doesn’t mind where they go, as long as it’s with her soon to be wife. Anywhere really would be perfect, since she will be married to the love of her life, Kang Seulgi. She grows silent for a moment, and Seulgi can tell it’s probably because she’s thinking about earlier too. Tiffany did talk a lot about how excited she was about planning a wedding to her, and Seulgi hopes that didn’t bother her fiance too much.

 

“Hyun, try not to think too much about what Tiffany said earlier. She was talking about something from many years ago, things I haven’t thought about anything like that in so long.”

 

“I know, Seulgi. I trust you, but that was a little hard to hear, having someone else be so in love with you, even though you’re mine.”

 

Seulgi gently lifts her chin toward her own to plant a tender kiss against Joohyun’s lips, one that the dark-haired woman doesn’t resist, placing her hand onto Seulgi’s cheek to deepen their kiss further.

 

“Say that again.” Seulgi whispers when they break for air.

 

“That you’re mine?”

 

“Yes, I’m yours Bae Joohyun. You healed me when I didn’t think I could be healed. You made me believe in love again, when I gave up on it for myself, and I belong only to you, alright?” The monolid woman smiles in a way that reaches her eyes, a way that eases Joohyun’s fears and makes her smile back brightly. God, does she love Kang Seulgi with all of her heart and more.

 

“I’m yours too, Seulgi, always. We should get some rest, you promised me we’d sightsee tomorrow, yes?”

 

Seulgi agrees, wrapping her arms around the singer’s waist. There was no telling how much time they had before they needed to go back and face reality, as the situation at home wasn’t yet over, until they had final closure for everyone involved. Still, the couple agreed they would make the most of their mini vacation, and sightseeing sounded like a good idea, tomorrow after a good night’s rest, of course.

 

“Yeah, we’ll go sightseeing. Should we go incognito and wear disguises, so no one will recognize us?” The artist is only joking, Joohyun knows that, and still she lightly pats her face.

 

“No need for hiding, we’re going to go out there holding hands for the world to see us, because guess what?”

 

“What, Hyun?” Seulgi plays along.

 

“Singer Bae Joohyun and Artist Kang Seulgi are so in love with one another, and they don’t care who knows it.” She whispers to her fiance and kisses the taller woman’s lips. Seulgi agreed wholeheartedly, they were in love with one another, and they didn’t care who knew that very obvious fact.

 

“And guess what else, Hyun?”

 

“What else, Seul?”

 

“They’re going to get married, did you know that?”

 

Joohyun chuckles lightly. “I might have heard that they’re going to be getting married too. Sounds like they have no reason to hide, right?”

 

“Yeah, they have no reason to hide.”

 

There was no reason at all to hide their love, not from the world, not from anyone. Seulgi had a feeling that everything really would be okay, the hardest part was over, and although she and Joohyun were not out of the woods yet. They would be okay, because they loved one another, they were a team, and there wasn’t anything they couldn’t face as long as they did so together.



 

A/N: Originally, I had more planned for this chapter, but it was also fine to end it this way. I will end everything in the next chapter, with all three of our main characters, so look forward to that, and thank you again for reading