Stuck in the Past

Reality or Make Believe

A/N: I kind of wasn’t going to complete this, but I might as well, I’ve got nothing to lose by completing as much of everything as possible. I won’t make this long, six chapters at most. Please enjoy 

 

Sponsor mentions:As always, thank you very much to my sponsors. I appreciate all of you so much: fabricsoftener, AvryGeist171, royalshipper2122, DTHDHR, Bernkaset, Casti1004, jasonds,  ZombieJuhyun, Rita_1211, 112714, Karasxo, falsuki, wittyadie95, Fantasiii, Km62201n, Eris78, captainsnsd, User_name1200, Androsssss, hiraiim-trash, theRequiem78, jyrus_21, Seosunny, kingdomcomes, sleepyhead, Jewster88, InformedPuppy, Fladoodlem8, ericakate, dga214, pinkpinkypin, Moonstunt, Cheorrybat, Sarcasaticree, PandaExpress69, j33200, shinneay, dmac20, Chan_94, Tashphobic, NoJamDubu, kiyomamoo, iamforeverlame, Mmm2392, CheezeeMyoui,  aya_ah98, bangton, blazeaf, Supergirl, Revelsone, madam_mac, aya_ah98, Nyssa21, Icantstandtofly, Lelouch99, tay_84, Mooncrush22, sawyer09, taeyang729, Once1864, tinybean, kaikaitheartist, Normallyotp, argonots, RedPaint, Maraga, Kasey_1432, PengusTigerClub, Shouto818, KetchupPeng, Zeliex, and Cristianul18. Thank you so much for being sponsors. :)

 


 

 

The doctors wait until  Tiffany regains consciousness again. "Are you okay to talk?"

 

"Yes." She gives a nod.

 

"Okay, do you remember anything at all about what happened, or why you're here?"

 

The raven-haired female has no idea why she's here in this hospital, or even what happened to her. Tiffany feels frightened and she really wants Seulgi with her.

 

"No, I don't. Where's Seulgi? Did you call her?"

 

There's that name again. She mentioned it twice already. They also realize there needs to be a gentle approach in this situation.

 

"Who's Seulgi?"

 

"My girlfriend." Tiffany answers. "Kang Seulgi."

 

The two doctors exchanged looks with one another. "Ms. Hwang, we have to tell you that you were in a car accident."

 

The raven's eyes go frantic. "W-What, how bad, and was Seulgi hurt too?"

 

"Ms. Hwang, you must try to calm down. You're okay and will be fine. Just take a few breaths." The doctors instruct her. Tiffany has no time for that, if she was in a car accident it’s likely that Seulgi was also, and that is worrying.

 

"Will you please call her? I need to see that she's okay for myself. Are you sure that Seulgi wasn't hurt too?" There are tears in her eyes at thoughts of her girlfriend being hurt.

 

"Okay, Ms. Hwang, we will call her for you. Please try to relax, alright."

 

The doctors give her a mild sedative to prevent her from becoming further overwhelmed.

 

"Kang Seulgi? Do you think she means that famous artist?"

 

"Well there's only one way to find out. There's a listing for her studio in the phone book."

 

Seulgi does go into her studio to work on some preliminary sketches of a mural she's been tasked with painting. She does get large scale projects like this and the pay is always good. Sometimes she even gets to travel around specifically for art related jobs. It also allows her to express her creativity so it's a win-win for her. She's in the middle of sketching when her studio office rings.

 

"Kang Studios."

 

"Hi, is this Kang Seulgi?"

 

"Yes, may I ask who's calling?"

 

"Yes ma'am. Do you know Hwang Tiffany?"

 

Seulgi pauses and nearly drops the phone. Why is someone calling her out of the blue to ask about. Tiffany. She wonders briefly if this is a prank but no one would be that cruel.

 

"I do. But what's this about?"

 

"She's been here in our hospital for the past year in a coma."

 

"What?" Of all the possible scenarios Seulgi could have imagined about her ex-girlfriend’s whereabouts,  this certainly wasn't one of them.

 

"Okay," Seulgi breathes out uneasily. "But why are you calling me?" It doesn’t make sense for the doctors to be calling her. She’s not next of kin to Tiffany. Seulgi isn’t anything to Tiffany, and hasn’t been for a long time.

 

"She's been asking for you since she woke up. Perhaps you can come to see her. There are some things you need to hear in person."

 

Seulgi has no idea what to do. She takes down the hospital information but is so confused about whether or not she should go. The brunette has not heard from or seen Tiffany in years. She feels terrible about the car accident though. What she can't understand is why Tiffany is asking for her of all people, when they have not spoken in years. She calls Joohyun because she really needs to hear her voice. She ends up with the voicemail though, as she is no doubt still in the studio.

 

"Hyun, hey I know you're probably busy. But, babe call me back okay when you can. I really need to talk to you."

 

Seulgi is at a loss for awhile, but eventually she ends up deciding to go to the hospital. It's not as if she doesn't care about what happens to Tiffany. It's just been so very long since they've seen one another. Maybe  Tiffany called her because it's possible she doesn't have anyone else to call. Seulgi doesn't know what to expect when she gets there, or how she will really deal with whatever she ends up facing. The artist supposes she’ll deal with it when she gets there.

 


 

 

The doctors immediately realize that Tiffany doesn't remember anything except for past events. She explains to them that she's with her girlfriend Kang Seulgi. From what is public knowledge Kang Seulgi is with singer Bae Joohyun, and in an effort to not upset her. They choose to be very careful around her and what information they can or can't give her.

 

"You're sure that Seulgi wasn't hurt in the car too?"

 

"No, Ms. Hwang,” the doctor smiled reassuringly. "We called her just like you asked."

 

"Okay." The dark-haired woman sighs in relief. "I'll feel alot better when she gets here. You said I was in a coma. She must have been very worried about me."

 

Under normal circumstances Seulgi probably would have been. They need to talk with Ms. Kang before she sees the raven. It's a lot to ask but they don't feel like Tiffany can handle too much emotional stress. She was already very upset about the possibility that Seulgi had been hurt as well. It would be ideal for Ms. Hwang to remember certain facts on her own, rather than have it pushed upon her suddenly.

 

"She does seem happier that we did get in touch with Ms. Kang."

 

"Yes but she's living the past right now. A lot  has changed for everyone since then."

 

"Whatever happens from here on out. We must be gentle with her."

 

Seulgi checks her phone to see that Joohyun hasn't called her back yet. She really would feel alot better if her fiance could talk right now. Seulgi nervously enters the hospital where staff lead her to a doctor.

 

"Ms. Kang?"

 

"Yes, hi." Seulgi nods. "I'm here to see Ms. Hwang." even saying Ms. Hwang sounds weird to her.

 

"Hi, I’m Dr. Jung Jessica,” the brown-haired doctor offers her hand for Seulgi to shake.

 

"Hi, Dr. Jung.”

 

" Thank you for coming. I briefly spoke to you on the phone. As I said we've been treating Ms. Hwang here for the past year. She has just recently woken up from a coma, and she asked for you right away."

 

That is what confuses the artist. If anything Tiffany should have asked for a family member or something.

 

"I don't understand, though. She shouldn't have asked for me."

 

Dr. Jung nods. She understands the current situation very well, and how logically Tiffany shouldn’t have asked for Seulgi, but they’re here now. "I do understand why you say that. Ms. Hwang has lost much of the present time. In fact she believes that the two of you two are still together."

 

Seulgi looks like the wind has just been knocked out of her. She doesn't know what to feel about this. It sounds so absurd like she's living some sort of dream.

 

"Wait, are you seriously saying she thinks we're still together. That was years ago."

 

"I'm aware, and I know that this is asking a lot of you. But for now and her emotional state you need to pretend for a while. We think that she will eventually come out of it."

 

There is no way that Seulgi can pretend to still be dating Tiffany. She has a fiancé and none of this situation is okay at all.

 

"No, I can't. It's been 9 years. I can't go in there pretending we're still together. I just got engaged to my girlfriend."

 

Dr. Jung does look sympathetic. It really is asking a lot, perhaps even too much. But as a doctor concerned about her patient. Jessica has to worry about Ms. Hwang’s best interest, at least until the raven can mentally handle it.

 

"Okay. But at least go talk to her,  and please be gentle. She thought that you were in the accident as well."

 

The brunette sighs but agrees to see Joohyun, someone she hasn't seen in 9 years. A woman who broke her heart and doesn't have any idea that she did. "How the hell am I supposed to do this?" Dr. Jung warns her once more to be gentle, or in other words lie. Tiffany looks up the minute she hears the door open and smiles. She definitely doesn't know that they broke up, not with the way she's smiling at her. Like she has done many times in their past.

 

"Seul, oh thank god, you’re not hurt." Tiffany is motioning for the brunette to come closer. Reluctantly Seulgi does come closer and Tiffany is hugging her tightly as if she is truly afraid of letting her go.

 

"I'm fine, Tiffany. I'm really glad you're okay." She isn't lying about that part. Seulgi is glad for the most part the raven is okay from her accident. The dark-haired woman leans in to hug her more.

 

"When the doctors told me what happened. I was so worried that you were hurt too."

 

It sounds like Tiffany from before. When they were still together and happy. Not like the woman who randomly ended their relationship.

 

"I'm fine. Don't worry."  The artist pulls away from the hug and sits by her bedside. Right away Tiffany takes one of her hands and starts kissing the warm skin. Something that was not unusual for them.

 

"Do you remember anything about your accident?"

 

"No, everything's so fuzzy. I do remember us going out to celebrate our 4th year anniversary though." She smiles. "You remember right Seul, you had that really good salmon, and..."

 

"You had the best strawberry cake you ever ate in your life." Seulgi finished as she remembers Tiffany’s exact words from that night. The raven reaches over to touch her face.

 

"Baby? Do you know how long I've been out? Why can't I remember anything?"

 

She can't simply just shrug away from Tiffany’s touch. It would raise some immediate questions. The raven was always very affectionate with her during their relationship.

 

"No, I'm sorry, Fany." Seulgi says the nickname she hasn't said in years. Tiffany will get suspicious if she doesn't start hearing pet names or nicknames soon. "Why don't we ask your doctors, okay?"

 

"Yeah, Seul, it feels like I've been away from you for so long." Tiffany wipes away tears forming in her eyes. 

 

“You have no idea,” is what Seulgi actually wants to say, only doesn't. 

 

"Um, Fany…”  Seulgi stops looking down at her ringing phone in her hand. She sees it's Joohyun calling her back. The smiling image of her fiancé  brings her back to reality.

 

'I need to take this." Seulgi gets up but the raven holds her arm.

 

"No, baby, please don't leave."

 

"I just need to answer this. I'll be back, okay." The minute Seulgi gets out of the room she answers.

 

"Hyun?"

 

"Seul, honey? What's wrong? Your voicemail sounded so upset. Are you okay?"

 

"No." The artist admits. Then starts walking over to the waiting room area. "Hyun, I'm in the hospital and...."

 

"What? Are you hurt? What happened? I'll come to you right away."

 

"No, babe. I'm not hurt, I promise. But I do really need you here, okay."

 

"I'm coming. I'll be there in like 10 maybe 15 minutes. I love you."

 

"I love you too, Hyunnie." It was difficult to stay out of the raven's room because Tiffany kept wanting to see her,  and asking doctors where she went. 

 

“'Fany, hey, don't cry. I'm back." Seulgi speaks when re-entering the room.

 

"Oh, I thought that you were leaving me." Tiffany hugs who she thinks is still her girlfriend, and Seulgi knows it's only a matter of time before Tiffany wants kisses. She has to try her best to avoid that from happening.

 

"Fany, do you need anything, water, something to eat?"

 

"No. My nurse will probably bring something. Just don't leave."

 

She nods but keeps her eyes glued to her phone. In case she gets a call or text from Joohyun.

 

"Seul, hey put your phone down. You should be focused on me." Tiffany smiles, reaching for both the monolid woman's hands. 

 

“Sorry,, habit. Do you maybe want to call your mother?"

 

"My mother?” There’s a pause.

 

"Yeah, she must be worried."

 

"My mother." The dark-haired woman repeats, letting out a pained moan while  clutching on to her head.

 

"Oh, Fany, what's....

 

Dr. Jung rushes in at the exact moment. She has seen enough. "Ms. Hwang, here this will help calm you." She gives her sedatives and pain meds as well.

 

"No,  I don't want to sleep again. Seulgi you'll still be here right?"

 

Seulgi nods and that seems to pacify her. Dr. Jung leads the monolid woman out into the hall.

 

"What the hell was that?" Seulgi questions right away.

 

"What did you two talk about?"

 

"I just asked her if she wanted to call her mom. Then she reacted to it."

 

"Talking about her mother must have upset her for some reason. I'm sure you see now how fragile of a state she's in."

 

"I do. But I can't keep pretending she and I are still together. I already told you that I have a fiance not only that, Tiffany and I broke up years ago."

 

Seulgi can't see how any of this could work. She can't keep up a lie like that and pretend that she isn't getting married. Or that she isn't in love with Joohyun. And for what, so everyone can feed into the reality that Tiffany has right now.

 

"Ms. Kang, I apologize. I know it's a lot to ask and I certainly wouldn't want to compromise your engagement. She is my patient and I am just concerned."

 

"To be honest. How long can you possibly lie to her? My relationship is very public news."

 

This was true, picking up any magazine or going online and the news is indeed public. Only people living under rocks don't know about the artist and singer's relationship.

 

"Ms. Kang. I know you don't have any obligation to Ms. Hwang, but please consider the state she's in. She is actually very lucky to be alive. That crash should have honestly killed her."

 

Seulgi sees Joohyun is texting her that she's here at the main desk. Seulgi says a hasty goodbye to Dr. Jung and goes to meet her fiance. The dark-haired woman looks very nervous, no doubt she probably thought that Seulgi was hurt.

 

"Hyun."

 

"Seul, babe. You're okay." Joohyun immediately hugs her. "What's going on?"

 

"Let's sit down." She takes her hand. Then they sit down together. The shorter woman squeezes her hand in an attempt to comfort her.

 

"What's wrong? Why did you have to come to the hospital?"

 

"Hyunnie,  you won't believe this. But I got a call today about Tiffany. She's here, and has been here for a year in a coma."

 

"Oh, no. Is she okay?" There is her considerate Joohyun again, naturally she would be concerned about someone else. Seulgi nods but knows this next part isn't going to be easy to hear.

 

"She's not....well she thinks she's in the past. She has no idea what's happening right now."

 

Joohyun’s eyes have a look of shock but there is also understanding. She knows what Seulgi is actually saying.

 

"She thinks that you two are still together."

 

"Yes, I didn't know what to do. I had no idea what I was walking in on, Hyun. She's not in a good place right now."

 

The singer feels for Tiffany. She really does. It must be difficult mentally to think you're still in a life when you aren't. But what does this mean for her and Seulgi, her fiance.

 

"Honey? What do you want to do? You know that I'm here to support you. I just need to know what you're going to do."

 

Joohyun knows how kind her soon to be wife is. She'll no doubt want to do the right thing, even if it ends up hurting. 

 

“Hyun, I don't know."  Seulgi hugs the shorter woman. "I just really want to go back to this morning. When it was just you and me in our bed. And none of this right now, we don't need this."

 

Joohyun nods and kisses the side of the brunette's face.

 

"I'm here. sweetie. Whatever happens I love you and I'm here."

 

A/N: k, so chapter 2 done. Hope you all are still interested in this. Comments are appreciated ^^