Fooling Peter Burke

The Reason Behind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: THOUGHTS ARE IN ITALICS. Font in purple is spoken in English

 

Author POV

 

Ayana couldn’t help but smile at how cutely confused Jaejoong looked.

He sure was a tad bit too slow wasn’t he?

But she knew he wasn’t so. He simply couldn’t help being slow because he was with someone like Reya. Her intelligence results in her quick, precise deduction and decision making.

It didn’t take much time for Ayana to have a check on Reya sine Mike, a werewolf working in the FBI was a colleague of Reya’s. He fed her with the required information about her – that she was an orphan with no record of how she ended up in the US and was living under an alias “Bella” the whole time. As per Mike’s intel, Reya would have lived under the disguise of a man too for some part of her time. Ayana also got the records of the people she had been suspected to work with/for, giving her shivers realizing that they were very powerful and bad people who could, if they wanted to, kill Reya for conning them.

Only then did she understand why Reya convinced the FBI to take her in. Because in prison, her life isn’t safe. Her enemies could easily get someone, like another prisoner, to kill her. But here, in the outside, she is more protected, especially with the tracker.

Clever girl, wasn’t she? Hiding in plain sight to make sure she lives another day.

But for how long can she survive like this?

Ayana bit back her laughter listening to Yoochun’s rather erted retort. He seriously wanted Jaejoong to let loose and live his life. Because Jaejoong was too careful of his image as an idol and didn’t want even one scandal to mess up his career. Jaejoong was therefore the type to sacrifice his needs as a man for his passion.

But what of Baekhyun? How is he involved with Reya? Did Reya, like previously save him from trouble?

Those were questions even Mike didn’t know the answer to.

Yoochun ran past her and disappeared from the line of her sight. She bit her lip looking towards the stairs, waiting for Yoochun to stop Peter who seemed to almost reaching his destination.

Thankfully though he was stopped.

“She isn’t there!”

Peter stopped, his left foot almost reaching to the higher step. His face was tensed, concerned that she would have done the unnecessary. Elizabeth, who woke up with him when he got the call assured that she wouldn’t have done it but the fact that Reya didn’t answer her phone gave him second thoughts. The fact that this boy, whom Peter didn’t notice was there, stopped him, brought a frown over his tired face.

Not giving the officer a second to think Yoochun ‘broke the news’ .

“She’s downstairs with my friend.”

Peter now turned. “Is that so?” He raised a brow. Something didn’t seem right now.

“Yes.” Yoochun gave one swift nod. “She is with him now. I saw her going into the room with him”

Peter narrowed his eyes at the newcomer but Yoochun didn’t waver. “You must be thinking I am scheming something,” Yoochun began, deciding that being truthful was the best way to save Reya. “Thinking that she had removed the anklet” Again, the truth “And I’m stopping you from finding it out”

Something about his words made Peter to shoot Yoochun a questioning look. Yoochun maintained his composure and smiled. Peter was about to speak when a loud bang was heard downstairs. 

Both looked at one another and towards the bottom of the stairs.

Go on with it Park Yoochun, Save your friend's woman.

“I guess they’re on it again” He began his act, heaving a defeated sigh.

“On what again?” Peter’s frown deepened.

“What would you think a man in love would do to his woman in a locked room?”

Utter horror filled his veins as Yoochun’s words finally made sense. Without a second’s hesitance Peter, instead of bothering his sixth sense which told him to go to her room, followed his heart and skipped down the stairs instead as a very recent memory of an undercover operation where she had to get into the suspect’s apartment disguising as a one night stand ran through his mind.

“Peter, you will come before things get out of hand right?”

That look, those almost pleading eyes of hers stirred something within him. If was only then did he realize that she had never been with a man despite her unbeaten record of conning men. All he did was nod at her but wowed to himself to never have her in any uncomfortable situation.

From his knowledge Reya wasn’t attracted to any male, which only meant that this man was forcing himself on her.

And that was something he wouldn’t let happen.

As Peter Burke took one last step in the stairs he stilled hearing what sounded like clothes being ripped and Reya gasp loud.

“Sheez. What more is there to rip?” Yoochun snickered from behind.

Peter only swallowed his spit. Suddenly he was hesitant to go to her aid. Yoochun noted this change and smirked. Their plan was working.

“Your friend..” Peter’s words replaced the smirk in Yoochun’s face with his ‘embarrassed’ look.

“The name’s Kim Jaejoong. KPop Idol singer. Been single almost his whole life. Was waiting for the right girl to come by. And I guess he finally found her.”

Was this the guy his wife was giggling of the other day?

“Singer you say?”

“A good man who genuinely wants a chance with Reya. So don’t worry officer, she is in good hands”

Somehow Yoochun read that this man cared of the girl. That look on his face wasn’t anger but concern and no higher officer would show such concern for a mere employee, especially a criminal. Peter met Yoochun’s assuring smile.

His phone then rang. It was from the office. Clearing his throat, Peter answered it. “False alarm. She’s home” He informed with no hesitance.

“Copy that.”

“Trace the number of the caller ASAP”

“On it Peter”

He ended the call and shoved the phone back in his sweatpants. Taking a deep breath he turned, only to meet DiDi smile at him.

“You should sleep” He suggested. “Preferably upstairs”

“Was about to do that.” 

“Sorry about this. She should have ideally taken him elsewhere...”

D

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter