Rescuing Her

The Reason Behind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: THOUGHTS ARE IN ITALICS. Font in bold italics are the flashback while the font in purple is spoken in English :)

 

Author POV

 

A huge banquet was organized commemorating the brave act of the King’s soldiers. Being the leader of the squadron, the young prince had no option but to join it. Jaejoong who loved being praised shockingly didn’t want to be part of it for he wished to be by the side of the injured girl he saved. She was still unconscious and it was getting him on the edge. A part of him wanted to take her to the royal surgeon but something held him back. Yes, he didn’t want the hassle of answering their questions about her identity but something more than that made him keep her in his safe house.

There had to be a reason for her to hide her identity and Jaejoong didn’t want to risk that. Once she wakes up he would investigate further, maybe get more information on the smugglers’ plans, also help her out.

The little girl stepped to him. The prince immediately smiled, falling to his knees to see her eye-to-eye. He wasn’t sure why but he already liked the little girl, especially her fondness towards the unconscious girl.

“Nari” She softly called him

“Yes”

“Are you leaving us?”

The prince sighed. “Only for a short time. I promise to be back before dawn”

He expected the child to panic, surprisingly though she was calm.

“I will protect my lady nari. Please do not worry”

Her words shocked him completely. She wasn’t speaking like a child at all. It was as if she understood his worry and was assuring him.  

“Really?” He asked, managing to maintain his smile

“Yes.” She nodded, “She protected me nari. So I will protect her with my life. I promise”

Such brave words from a child, he did not expect it. But the determination in her eyes made him smile. Jaejoong affectionately held the top of her head. “Neh… you protect your lady and I’ll bring you something nice to eat”

Her smile widened. “Yaksuk?” the child in her was back

“Yaksuk”

 

Making sure that the house was covered by the broken branches, he did a quick scout of the area and made his way back home.

The palace halls were decorate with lanterns, dancers and the aroma of food welcomed Jaejoong as he rode on horseback into the palace. After a quick wash, Jaejoong changed into a fresh hanbok and entered the celebratory grounds.

“There he is! Finally making his grand entrance!” The happy king announced with pride, “My brave son! Your leader! Our prince!”

The arriving prince smirked in pride, loving that the king himself was on his feet. Growing up in the palace Jaejoong has always been a man of pride but was always given second preference since he had an older brother, hence he has always strived for his father’s recognition since he knew that there would be no chance for him to show what he is capable as king.

It was something that was embedded in his head since the day he was born – that he would never become King.

Besides, he is happy where he is, with the people, fighting for their peace and rights day and night.

And if he wasn’t in this position, he wouldn’t have met that unknown beauty….

Oh god! Not that again… He bit his lip hard as the memory of her bare body flashed in front of his eyes. Even with her hair cut short, oh, was she beautiful! The most beautiful he had seen in his life!

Only if I brought her here now, these women here would be put to shame, he couldn’t help but think to himself and smiled as his imagination began to work on how they would react by her arrival with him.

“Why were you late my prince?! We were waiting for you!”

Jaejoong was showed with hugs and cheers, making him stop to converse with the happy battalion listening to their praises and thanks for his leadership. Some were narrating how he fought against the men, not just this evening but also in the past, marveling at his ever-improving sword fighting skill.  He spent around 20 minutes with the people before walking to the royal table. His majesty was with the queen and the crown prince, along with some dignitaries, including his deputy– Jung Yunho and the minister of education's son – Shim Changmin, a childhood friend of Jaejoong, sitting in position where they faced the happy men. He walked past the guards on duty who respectfully bowed at him and pushed the see-through curtain that separated the men from the royalty and stepped inside.

“Is there no one to beat my son at sword fighting?” The King praised his son. “Hail to my son and his men for their 25th successful raid with zero causalities each time!”

Jaejoong simply smiled and walked his seat by the left of king. On the right was his brother, the crown prince dressed in his gland official robes, smirking at him. Jaejoong smirked back and took his seat. His fingers reached to the drink that was served to quench his thirst and made him comfortable.

“Ah ha! I finally see a smile in the Lady Ha’s face” The crown prince teased, making the Prime Minister’s daughter burry her face to hide her blush.

“By the looks of it, I think the crown prince can’t take his eyes off the lady Park Ha” Jaejoong smirked. “My King, why don’t we just set them up now that the girl he wished to marry doesn’t want him?”

The two brothers glared at each other until the king intervened. “Boys, marriage isn’t a game” He reminded.

“Then tell him to stop teasing me. Doesn’t he know that it’ll affect the lady?” Jaejoong bit back

The Crown Prince smirked. “Why are you not seeing the obvious little brother? She likes you!”

“Kim Heechul. Stop it now” The King ordered sternly. The crown prince cleared his throat and softly apologized to his father.

Never has he called him by his name – only when he steps his boundaries will the King use his name, and not in an affectionate manner.

But it was too late, Jaejoong had already gotten hurt.

Jaejoong stood up and bowed. “Do enjoy the feast everyone. I don’t see the need to be here any longer”

Not a chance was given to anyone to speak, let alone react. Jaejoong walked from the royal table and made his way inside the palace instead of going out and showing his mates that he was in a foul mood. Call it a brotherly competition or just plain I-wanna-show-father-I- am-better-than-you competition, the both of them always competed in everything, from studies, to their appearance. The both of them were gifted with God-given looks, both very handsome with a slight feminine touch to it, driving every woman not only in Joseon, but as far as the Imperial Kingdom to want to marry them.

Too bad, the crown prince has already made his mind on a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter