First Team Up

Of Robbing Banks and Stealing Hearts

“Explain.” Jihyo said tightly. “I assume you and Sana were behind the hack on Chanmi?”

“Well…” Nayeon gulped. “Honestly, I’d say we were forty per cent behind it?”

“Forty per cent, huh?”

Jihyo was dangerously calm, and behind her Chaeyoung was making frantic x signs with her hands, but Nayeon ignored her. If she was going down she was taking them all down with her.

“Well first of all, Chanmi is completely responsible for her own downfall. It’s no one’s fault that she said all those things about everyone, and it’s definitely her own fault that she bullied you.” Nayeon shrugged. “But if we take her own accountability out of it and also ignore the dumb driver who covered her in radioactive waste… Basically if we focus on who drove her to target Chungha and probably you next, then the blame can be evenly split between Jeongyeon, me, Sana, Chaeyoung and Chungha.”

“I see.” Jihyo said. “Chaeyoung don’t you dare run.”

Chaeyoung froze, one leg stuck out in an attempt to sneak away. She glared at Nayeon, who stuck her tongue out.

“So I’m guessing Jeongyeon told you about Chanmi, you got Chaeyoung to hack her, and then you and Sana gave that information to Chungha?”

“You’re so smart Jihyo. Have I ever mentioned how smart you are?”

Jihyo gave Nayeon a flat look, and Chaeyoung mouthed “ha” behind her back.

“Ok.” Jihyo said slowly. “We’re going to put aside how ridiculously overprotective you all are and the lack of respect you show me when it comes to letting me deal with my own problems, just for a moment. Right now, there’s a deranged supervillain on the loose who is an actual threat, and we’re going to need all the help we can get to stop her.”

“Hey, what do you mean an ‘actual threat’? I’m a threat! I can be threatening!” Jihyo glared at her again, and Nayeon wilted. “But, uh… not right now obviously. I’ll help you guys stop her.”

“Yes you will, and it won’t just be you and Tzuyu. I’m getting the whole gang in on this.”

Jihyo strode over to the door, and before Nayeon could stop her she’d pulled it open.

“I saved up to buy that and you just ate it without even asking me!” Momo cried.

“I didn’t realise it was so expensive! Why am I not allowed to eat your food but you share it with Mina sometimes?”

“I don’t share that often with Mina, she just buys her own food instead of trying to steal mine like you do! Besides, Mina’s my girlfriend!”

“And I’m your best friend! Or at least I was!”

“Of course you’re my best friend! I’m just saying that we have a different relationship!”

“So I’m worth less to you, is that it?”

“I never said that! Why are you twisting-”

Jihyo coughed loudly, and Sana and Momo froze, both of their mouths open and ready to yell.

“I’m aware that you two are working out some issues, but we’ve got a bigger problem right now.” Jihyo walked into the centre of the room. “There’s a new supervillain on the loose and she’s coming after me. Now, since Sana is partly responsible for this she’s going to help out, aren’t you Sana?”

“I helped create a supervillain!” Sana gasped, delighted. “That’s so-”

She noticed Nayeon making throat slashing motions behind Jihyo, and her eyes widened.

“so…terrible?” she finished weakly.

“Considering Chungha’s in the hospital and I’m Chanmi’s next target, yeah, it’s terrible.” Jihyo snapped.

“Wait.” Momo looked so baffled Nayeon almost felt bad for her. “What’s going on? What happened?”

“Your best friend here helped piss off a woman who’s just gained the power to control people’s minds. Since you’re all meant to be a team, I assume you’re going to help us too?”

“O-of course.” Momo actually seemed a little intimidated, which Nayeon found very relatable. “We fought a mind controller before, remember Sana?”

“Yeah, in Kyoto last year. Mina took him down in the end, right?”

“Right.” Momo nodded. “Mina has some mind magic power of her own, and she’s got much better control than any of the bad guys. If this Chanmi woman just got her powers I know Mina can take her. She can make us all immune to Chanmi, and then if we can subdue her Mina can get into her mind and block her powers.”

“I can?”

They all turned around to face the newcomers. Chaeyoung, Mina and Tzuyu stood in the doorway, two of them looking nervous. Tzuyu just looked tired.

“Of course you can!” Sana and Momo said at the same time.

They glared at each other, and Mina seemed to shrink back behind Tzuyu.

“Alright, how about we give you three five minutes to work this out?” Jihyo suggested tactfully.

“No!” Sana stood up suddenly. “There’s no need, this is all so dumb and unnecessary. Momo thinks I left Japan and became a super villain because I’m still in love with Mina, and that’s just not true! Yeah, I used to be in love with Mina. I mean look at her, she’s great!”

Mina gave a shy smile and an awkward wave. Nayeon wondered if she should be worried, but she trusted Sana.

For the first time, she realised that thought didn’t scare her. She trusted Sana, and that wasn’t a bad thing.

“But she chose Momo and I meant it when I said I would be fine with that!” Sana continued. “What I’m not fine with is Momo acting like The Trinity means MiMo plus their third wheel!”

“I didn’t-”

“You did! You were my best friend and you changed! It hurt, and it’s still hurting because you won’t accept that you had a part in this! You keep trying to act like this is some love triangle nonsense when I’m really just sad that my two best friends got so wrapped up in each other that they basically forgot I existed!”

There was silence in the room after Sana had finished. Nayeon was tempted to break into a slow clap, but that would probably ruin the intensity of the moment.

“I’m sorry.” Mina said, the loudest and firmest words Nayeon had heard from her so far. “I really am, Sana. I had no idea you felt so left out, and that’s on me. You and Momo were so close, and I hate to think that I ruined-”

“Hey, hey, hey, don’t even try to go there!” Sana pointed dramatically at Mina. “You are a loved and valued member of this team, and you becoming our friend was not a bad thing and it never will be. I mean, you’re basically the key to stopping our latest enemy, right? I appreciate your apology, but don’t you dare think this is all your fault, because it most definitely is not!”

“It’s not her fault at all!” Momo cut in angrily. “Maybe we did neglect you when we first started dating, but can you look me in the eye and tell me your hurt feelings aren’t in any way related to Mina picking me over you?”

Sana looked at Momo, and the room fell silent. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath, waiting to see what would happen next.

Then, surprisingly, Sana looked over to Nayeon.

“I can.” Sana spoke clearly, looking directly into Nayeon’s eyes. “I can tell you here and now that I love you and Mina as my best friends, and that’s as far as it goes. I didn’t realise just how over her I really was until I fell in love with Nayeon, but that’s the truth. I left because you two were being bad friends, and now I’ve found someone who makes me happier than I’ve been in a long time. You can keep denying it if you want Momo, but right now I need us to put aside this fight and help the girl I love protect the people she cares about.”

She turned to glare at Momo. Momo glared back. Mina sighed, and shared a knowing look with Tzuyu.

“Fine.” Momo muttered. “A temporary truce then? Save the day, then fix our own problems.”

“Deal.” Sana stuck out her hand, and she and Momo performed an intricate handshake involving claps, slaps and hip bumps.

“They do that every time we knock down a bad guy.” Mina whispered to Tzuyu. “I keep telling them that it gives the enemy time to get back up, but they still won’t stop.”

“Uh... guys?” Chaeyoung sounded worried. “I think Nayeon’s broken. She hasn’t moved or reacted to anything since Sana said she loved her.”

“What?” Jihyo walked over and snapped her fingers in front of Nayeon’s face. “Nayeon come on, now is not the time for this.”

Nayeon continued to stare blankly into the distance.

“I warned you guys that one of these days she’d snap.” Tzuyu said, almost cheerfully. “But no, instead of getting her the help she needs, obviously the best thing to do is let her run around being a supervillain.”

“For the last time, we are not sending Nayeon to an asylum Tzuyu. This isn’t a Batman comic.”

“But it could be!”

Jihyo looked so ready to fight that Chaeyoung ended up stepping in front of Tzuyu to shield her, not that it did much good. Normally Nayeon would jump on the opportunity to make another joke about their height difference, but… Chaeyoung wasn’t exactly wrong about her being broken right now. Nothing going on around her was registering properly. Her brain seemed to be stuck in a constant loop, repeating ‘the girl I love’ over and over again.

“I’ll handle this.” Sana stepped in front of Nayeon, and smiled.

“Hey.”

“Hey.” Nayeon echoed.

“I love you.”

“Yeah.”

“You’re still in shock over that?”

“Very much.”

“I get it. I kind of dropped that on you out of nowhere. I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s ok.”

“It is?”

“Yeah.” Nayeon blinked, and suddenly everything got a whole lot clearer. “It’s completely fine actually, because I love you too.”

“Oh.” Sana’s eyes shone so bright, Nayeon felt like she was looking into stars. “I was really hoping you’d say that.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“Cool.”

“Yeah.”

“Great!” Chaeyoung threw her hands up in the air. “They’re both broken now!”

“Oh this is getting ridiculous.” Jihyo marched over to them and shook Nayeon’s shoulder. “Nayeon, I’m really happy for you, but there’s a maniac probably on her way here to kill me so maybe you two could celebrate this lovely milestone in your relationship by taking her down?”

“Sure.” Nayeon said, still staring at Sana. “That sounds cool.”

“Nayeon!”

“What?” Nayeon finally looked away, right into Jihyo’s impatient glare. “Oh right, Chanmi. That’s still a thing. Let’s go stop her I guess.”

“Glad that we’re all finally on the same page.” Jihyo’s voice oozed sarcasm. “Does anyone have any other drama they’d like to get out of the way?”

Chaeyoung hesitantly took a ring box out of her pocket. Tzuyu gently pushed it back in, smiling as she shook her head.

Everyone else made a mutual unspoken agreement to ignore that.

“Great.” Jihyo said, hands on her hips. “Now we can actually start making a plan.”

“A plan. Yes. Right.” Nayeon looked around the room, only now noticing how everyone was staring at her. “Well, Mina can make us immune right? But if we’re going up against an army of brainwashed civilians, then Mina probably won’t be able to free all of them. We’ll need to fight our way through to Chanmi, then keep her down until Mina can block her powers.”

“How do we do that?” Chaeyoung asked. “Momo’s got her speed, and Tzuyu’s got her strength, but the rest of us can probably only handle one on one confrontations. Even if we get Jeongyeon and Dahyun to help, who knows how many people we’ll have to fight?”

“We’ll need weapons.” Tzuyu said, sighing when she saw Nayeon’s smile. “Let me guess. You know a guy?”

“I know a guy.” Nayeon grinned.

“A guy who deals weapons to supervillains?” Jihyo’s smile did not reach her eyes. “Well there’s no way this could go wrong.”


The store Nayeon led them to was situated in a stereotypically grim alley in the worst part of town. The inside was lit by dimly green light, the walls covered with shabby wallpaper and faded posters. A strong smell of weed hung in the air, most likely coming from the boy lying on top of the counter, smoking. He turned his head and noticed the seven of them, then promptly tumbled off the counter.

“Oh no! Tae we’ve got customers!”

“I’m in the bathroom! Deal with it!”

“Are you sure? Because I am really high right now!”

“Just do it Kookie!”

“Right, right.” The boy spun around to face them. “Welcome to Bulletproof Boy- Nayeon! Is that you!”

“Hey Jungkook.” Nayeon smiled, stepping forward. “I’m back again for more. Brought a few friends with me this time.”

“Nice.” Jungkook grinned, clearly not noticing the way half the group was wrinkling their nose at their surroundings. “So what’ll it be this time? You want guns? Grenades? Finally going to try that rocket launcher I was telling you-”

Tzuyu stepped forward, and Jungkook’s eyes widened.

“-that we do not sell, because that would be illegal and we respect the law here. No guns or grenades in this shop, nope! Nothing that would cause a superhero to arrest us.”

“It’s fine Kook, she’s with me.” Nayeon enjoyed the look on Tzuyu’s face when she said that. “We’re working together to catch someone a lot more dangerous than you.”

“So…” Jungkook squinted suspiciously at them. “If we potentially did possibly sell some form of weaponry to you, hypothetically speaking of course. Hulk wouldn’t arrest us?”

Nayeon elbowed Tzuyu, who sighed.

“Not this time.” Tzuyu said reluctantly.

“Sweet.” Jungkook laughed. “In that case, we sell a ton of illegal stuff here. So how about that rocket launcher Nayeon? We’ll throw in a discount for one of our best customers.”

She could feel the glares on her back, but Nayeon kept her smile perfectly friendly.

“Thanks, but I think for what we’re dealing with we need the nonlethal options. Bats, staffs, maybe some knuckle dusters. Anything that could knock a guy out without killing him.”

“Going for the head trauma, I like it.” Jungkook gestured behind him. “Blunt force weapons are down the back towards the left. Help yourself.”

Nayeon felt a certain sense of vindication at how eagerly the girls grabbed the weapons, measuring the bats and testing out the various clubs and staffs on the racks. The heroes may act like they were too good for this place, but Nayeon could see the excitement on their faces. She almost said something about it, but then she got distracted by how hot Sana looked holding a baseball bat. Sana noticed her staring and winked, tilting her head towards the supply closet to the right of them. Nayeon laughed, but shook her head. Sana’s pout almost made her reconsider, but Jihyo’s warning nudge was enough for both of them to knock it off.

Around fifteen minutes later, they exited the store, everyone smelling a lot worse and carrying at least one weapon.

“Jeongyeon and Dahyun said they’ll meet us at the hospital.” Jihyo informed them. “They think Chanmi and her goons are probably headed there to finish Chungha off.”

“Alright gays, we know what needs to be done.” Nayeon swung her bat in front of her, narrowly avoiding Chaeyoung’s head. “Let’s go beat up a bunch of brainwashed, innocent victims in the name of peace and justice!”

Sana was the only one who seemed enthused by Nayeon’s speech. She cheered, lifted her bat in the air, and then dropped it on Tzuyu’s foot.

Nayeon had the best girlfriend.