Pretend.

Memories: After. {On Hiatus}
Please log in to read the full chapter

Two strange incidents happened on Monday. Out of nowhere, Chaeyeon came to Yeeun's class sparking a commotion with the students who lined up to see her passing by. She stood by the door and with a soft smile called out one of Yeeun's classmate. But it wasn't Jungkook. 

- May I speak with you for a moment, Hyunggu? - she asked. 

The boy in question just looked at Chaeyeon with surprise but politely agreed. The whole interaction created a buzz because Chaeyeon only spoke and hanged out with her circle of friends that composed of Jaehyun's friends. 

The other incident was Eunwoo's behavior. She was quieter than usual and Yeeun could still see her puffy eyes. At lunch, Yeeun didn't hesitate in finally asking her what was wrong. Eunwoo cried when she began to explain it. 

- On Friday, I heard... -

... And stop! 

This part is important but it will be for another story. So we're skipping it, and go back to Yeeun.

- What? Did he really say that? I can't believe it. - 

- It's my fault, actually. - Eunwoo answered with tears in her eyes. 

- No, it's not. It's Jaehyun's, he's just... a moron. I don't even know how you like him in the first place. - Yeeun added trying to make her friend laugh but Eunwoo was still hurt that she couldn't, she just kept crying and Yeeun comforted her. 

- I will bring you a drink. - she said after a while and headed to a vending machine. 

On her way back, she encountered Younghoon and she almost smiled until she recalled the events of the day prior. She continued to walk but was stopped by him. 

- It looks like apologizing to you will become a habit of mine. - he said nervously. - But, I just wanted to ask you to not take to heart what my mother said to you yesterday. She believes in the method of tough love to bring the best out of people. Minji and I know how to handle it because that's how we were raised, Jungkook, on the other hand, is not so used to. And I guess you aren't either. So, don't feel bad about it, please. -

Yeeun listened to Younghoon's explanation and nodded in silence. What Jungkook had already told her made her feel better but she was not going to say that to Younghoon. She accepted his apology and smiled reassuringly to him. It was not that big of a deal and they could just move on to start the friendship Yeeun always wanted. 

- I was kind of surprised to see you yesterday with Jungkook. Don't get me wrong, but, I thought the rumor of the two of you dating was a lie. - he said later with humor and Yeeun was taken aback. 

- Why did you think that? - she asked and felt weird that was her first reaction since she had planned on telling him the truth for days. 

- Well, because I thought Jungkook liked Chaeyeon. He's had a big crush on her for so long. I thought he was using that rumor to get Chaeyeon's attention. - 

Yeeun kept quiet and stared at Younghoon as she understood what he was saying. She had to admit she never considered that option. Bringing up the rumors, Yeeun took the opportunity to ask what she wanted to know. 

- I thought you like Chaeyeon. There are also rumors of you. - 

Younghoon sighed and lowered his head. 

- Yes, those damn rumors were part of the reason why Jungkook and I fought. It's not true. I've never liked Chaeyeon. She's Jaehyun's sister and that's a big no for me. - 

Yeeun had to contain herself and hide the smile that almost spread on her face when she heard him. It made her really happy to know Younghoon didn't like Chaeyeon. Although that didn't assure her he would like her. It was just a step closer. 

- But, if Jungkook now likes you then, maybe we could go back to... - 

Younghoon was interrupted when Minho came to look for him. They had another meeting with the coach and he said goodbye to Yeeun before he left. 

She returned to Eunwoo and told her everything that happened in Jungkook's house and what she had found out from him and Younghoon.

- So, it did involve Chaeyeon. - Eunwoo said. 

- Apparently. But I would like to know exactly what happened to them because I have the feeling it was just a misunderstanding. - 

- I don't think we will ever know. Or you could just ask your boyfriend, Jungkook. - Eunwoo jokingly replied and Yeeun smiled. She hoped Eunwoo would soon go back to her old bubbly self. 

However, that idea lingered in Yeeun's head. She thought about it during cleaning duties as she carefully stared at Chaeyeon. She thought of asking her but since they weren't close she decided against it. 

Later that day when she was on road to her home, she saw Jungkook and Chaeyeon hanging out together. The two looked to be really close, they were laughing as Jungkook was taking a leaf off of Chaeyeon's hair. Then they got on Jungkook's motorcycle and left the school. 

Now Yeeun didn't have a doubt Younghoon was right. Jungkook still liked Chaeyeon and used the rumor to get her attention, which appeared to have worked. 

For the rest of the week, things got back to normal. Yeeun could focus on her classes, continued to read all the time, and didn't have to worry about any rumor. It was dying out. Jungkook didn't come close to her nor even talked to her. Occasionally she bumped into Younghoon but it seemed he was busy practicing for the upcoming game. Eunwoo didn't want to go to the practices and didn't want to eat in the cafeteria, all to avoid Jaehyun. So other than that, things were really like nothing have ever happened. 

Friday came at last. Yeeun parted ways with Eunwoo and went to get her bike at the parking lot. She was about to get there when she caught a glimpse of Chaeyeon and Hyunggu leaving the school together. She had her arm linked in his and people around them just couldn't stop pointing at them. 

Please log in to read the full chapter