After: Bet.

Memories: After. {On Hiatus}
Please log in to read the full chapter

Monday mornings used to be simple and normal like any other day for Yeeun. Ironically, she had gone back to have a routine this day. In high school, she always got first in school. Now for the past two months, she was getting late to work.

- Come on, Yewon. Hurry up, I need to get to work. - Yeeun honked for the third time as she waited for her sister to get in the car.

- I'm here. You don't have to yell anymore. - Yewon rolled her eyes.

- I told you I need to be on time and you're always late. -

- And I told you, you can't rush me. You know how much time I need to get ready and go to school. We're working on developing a new way of playing video games, we're going even further than virtual reality. Do you know what that means? No, of course, you don't. -

- You know, when I was your age, I bought an apartment for myself close to school. You should start thinking about that. - Yeeun added.

- That's because you don't have a big sister. I do, and I get to live with her for free and get a ride to school. I'll be busy with my projects so don't wait for me. - Yewon said as she grabbed her phone.

Yeeun was forty minutes late when she reached HighEnd, the classy magazine where she worked. She looked around hoping she wouldn't get caught by... uhm... (I forgot the name of Yeeun's boss so I'll just call her Rina).

Yeeun walked slowly to her cubicle scared to see Rina only to find her sitting at her desk, waiting for her.

- Good morning, Yeeun. -

- Good morning, Rina. I'm so sorry I'm late. It's just that my younger sister recently moved in with me and it's chaotic. But it won't happen again. -

- This is the eight-time you come late. - Rina responded and Yeeun bit her lips before she let out a nervous smile.

- Oh, did I mention that I finished the interview? I sent it to you last night, did you have the time to... read it? - she said, hoping to please her scary boss. But Rina was not happy at all.

- Yeeun, do you remember when I asked you if you knew a doctor that could help us with the article of the alleged negligence that occurred in a heart transplant three months ago? -

- I remember you asking me if I knew a heart a surgeon and I said I didn't, yes. -

- Well, there's a young doctor in the lounge room that says he's an old friend of yours and is waiting for you. -

- A young doctor? - Yeeun asked confused because the only doctors she knew were Chaeyeon's parents. Rina stood up.

- Networking is everything if you know how to use it. - She said as she handed Yeeun an invitation of a silent auction that would take place next Friday night organized by the journalist committee. - Make sure he goes. -

As Yeeun walked to the lounge room, she kept wondering who might be the doctor asking for her. But when she opened the door and she saw the tall man's back, she knew who he was.

- Yeeun, it's been a while. How are you? - he said after he turned around to face her.

- Jaehyun... yeah. I'm fine, thank you. How are you? -

- Great. I was reading this article. - he said pointing to the wall. - I remember reading it months ago and I loved it. But I had no idea you wrote it. -

- Thank you. I appreciate it. - Yeeun smiled but she stared at Jaehyun, who smiled as well.

- I'm sorry to come here unannounced and uninvited. You must be wondering why I'm here. -

- It's okay... but...oh, is everything alright? Is Chaeyeon or your parents...? - she hurried to ask once it dawned in her that he must be there for an emergency, though he didn't look to be alarmed.

- Everything is fine. But it is about Chaeyeon that I've come here to talk to you. Do you have time to have coffee with me? - he asked.

She just got to work a few minutes ago but Yeeun knew that Rina would not mind if she went to have coffee with Jaehyun if it meant she could convince him to go to the silent auction.

So they enjoyed a cup of coffee at the coffee shop across from her workplace. The conversation was pleasant. Jaehyun was still the same well-mannered person and he was easy to talk to. He had always been a charmer.

- Anyways... I know you need to go back to work so I'll be frank with you. You know Chaeyeon and Hyunggu got engaged last week. - Jaehyun said.

- Yeah, and I won't say I didn't see it coming. -

- It was obvious for all of us always. And I don't know if you're aware that both Chaeyeon and Hyunggu kept in contact with Jungkook. We're all still close friends. -

Yeeun felt a tickling in her stomach when Jaehyun mentioned Jungkook's name. It had been a long time since she heard it. But she acted like it didn't affect her at all.

- Well, they never said it but I knew it. He was friends with Chaeyeon long before I became friends with her. So I knew. - she said and he nodded.

- Then you must know that he will be at the wedding and that from now on, you two may cross paths again. Right? - Jaehyun added feeling awkward to say it. He felt terrible for being the one to point it out in case Yeeun hadn't figured it out.

And he was right. Yeeun hadn't thought about the possibility of running into Jungkook after so many years. It was because thinking about him was so difficult that she didn't connect the two dots.

- Chaeyeon is very sorry that she didn't tell you she was still close to him and even though she always tried to keep both friendships apart, now you'll have to interact again. She's sorry about this. - Jaehyun said again and he sighed because he could see the emotion's in Yeeun's expressive eyes.

When Chaeyeon had told him that this is what she wanted him to do, he almost told her he preferred to be her slave. But in the end, he decided this could be better for Jungkook and Yeeun. Maybe what they needed was to meet again. As Chaeyeon said.

- She shouldn't be feeling sorry. I know why she kept it a secret. - Yeeun said later.

It was all because of what had happened at Coach Jeong's wedding a year after they broke up. When Jungkook came and sat down at the same table as all his friends were, including Yeeun, she stood up immediately and left.

She later felt stupid for reacting that way and came back, acting as if she went to make a call but it was too late. The air was tense after that and Jungkook deliberately ignored her even when she tried to talk to him.

That was the last time she saw him and the last time she saw Jaehyun, Younghoon, and Seokmin. Yeeun was grateful that Chaeyeon and Hyunggu remained her close friends. They could've done what the others did and slowly lose contact with her.

Now Chaeyeon was thinking the same would happen at her wedding and instead of feeling excitement for her happy day, she was worried that Yeeun would be uncomfortable.

- She shouldn't be feeling sorry. - Yeeun said again. - Jungkook and I broke up years ago. We're adults now. Nothing bad will happen to us for being in the same room. - she laughed.

- Exactly. - Jaehyun agreed. - We're not the same people we were in high school. You must have moved on. I mean, Jungkook is in a serious relationship right now and I will not ask you about your private matters, but, I'm sure it's all in the past now. -

Yeeun forced a smile in her face hoping to not let it show her real feelings, unaware that Jaehyun could see it all.

- It's fine. I'm not dating anyone. As of this moment. And you're right. It's all in the past now. -

- I'm glad to hear it. And I have to tell you that it was very nice to see you again and learn about your life and your work. - Jaehyun told her.

- You too. Doctor Jung. - she smiled.

They continued to talk about other matters but Jaehyun had to leave and she needed to go back to work. When he was getting ready to leave, Yeeun called out to him.

- I do have one favor to ask you, though. - she said.

Four hours later at the top of a building on the opposite side, the meeting room was in absolute silence as everyone was waiting for the approval of the person sitting at the head of the table.

- Let's go ahead with the project. - the man said and the rest of the people leat out a relieved sigh and began exiting the room.

Jungkook lifted an eyebrow as he wondered why people almost twice his age were scared of him. Younghoon, sitting by his right side, was the only one relaxed and moving comfortably in his chair.

- Well done, Mr. vice president. Another day you make them run off in fear. - Younghoon .

- It's not funny, you know. They shouldn't be scared of me. -

- It's a gift, what can you do about it? - Younghoon said and Jungkook stood up when he saw his assistant, Hyuk approaching him.

- This is the list of appointments for the week. I made the changes you requested, Mr. Jeon. - Hyuk said.

Jungkook left the meeting room and headed to his office as he read the list Hyuk provided him that he gave back to his assistant when he noticed a tiny mistake.

- It's still wrong. That auction this Friday night, I told you I'm not going. -

- And I told him you are. - Younghoon interjected.

- Why? -

- Our father always goes to this type of event. It's part of the J&E image. -

- Then you go. You're in charge of public relations. - Jungkook added.

- I've attended all types of social events for the last six months. It's your turn to go now. It's for a good cause, Jungkook. -

- Right, for a good cause. But for those journalists, it's the perfect place to make connections and ask for interviews. Do you remember the last time I went to a social event? I say hello to one actress and there were articles the next day saying we were dating. -

- I remember. - Younghoon nodded.

- When I left high school, I thought I wouldn't have to worry about people making up rumors about me but now I have to deal with the press. Why are they even interested in me? Don't they have idols to go chase? - Jungkook complained and Younghoon laughed.

- They're interested because you're a multimillionaire, you're good looking and you're only thirty years old. Plus, you have not given a single interview. They're curious about you. -

- Well, let them be curious. Let me have the mysterious image of the J&E Group. Look, I promise I'll go to the next event, you go to this one. -

Younghoon agreed to Jungkook's proposal and the two brothers entered the latter's office to find Jaehyun throwing a dart at the dartboard fixed on the wall. And beating Jungkook's record.

- Oh, yes. Now we have to start with even scores again. - Younghoon smiled.

- Why are you here, Jaehyun? Don't you have lives to save? - Jungkook bitterly asked for being defeated. He went to sit at his desk.

- It's always a pleasure to come see your grumpy face. How many villagers did you scare today, big ogre? -

- 35. But we

Please log in to read the full chapter