I Can't Go.

Memories: After. {On Hiatus}
Please log in to read the full chapter

Let's rewind for a bit and go to that Tuesday afternoon. Hyunggu was in his lessons with Minji. He was repeating in his head the advice Chaeyeon had given him. Could he do it? Could he ask Minji out? 

"No, I don't think I can do it. Or can I? Should I? Chaeyeon said I should. She said I have to fight for what I want." 

Hyunggu was having a bit of a conversation with himself in his head and didn't notice that he was even making gestures with his hands so it made Minji pay attention to him.

- Are you okay? - she asked and he was brought back to reality. 

- Yeah... yeah. - he said with mild voice. - I was just... - 

Hyunggu gave himself a bit of a pep talk before he blurted out the words.

- The amusement park it's quite fun and I was wondering if you'd like to go. - 

It was definitely weird to ask out a girl who had a boyfriend and Hyunggu knew it way before he said it but he still did it. Minji looked at him for a few seconds and then smiled. 

- Sure. I really want to go but Rowoon is going to be busy these days. We'll have to go next week. - 

With her response, Hyunggu realized he made a mistake. He asked if she'd like to go but forgot to add to go with him, though it was implicit in the question. So he wondered if Minji tried to avoid it by responding differently. 

Then he thought it was a better idea to let it slide and not correct himself. He was then going to follow the original plan he and Chaeyeon had. 

- I'm also going next week. Which day are you going? Maybe we can meet there. - 

With that reply, he saved himself from being embarrassed and could go as if nothing had happened once the lessons were over. 

Next day he waited after class to go looking for Chaeyeon to tell her about his encounter with Minji but he didn't see her. He instead bumped into Jiyeon. He felt awkward after the girl smiled while blushing as she stared at him.  

- Sorry. - he said and try to go but she called out to him. 

- Every year my parents throw me a birthday party. It's a silly thing but they want to do it and I let them. - Jiyeon said sheepishly. - It's going to be this Friday and I'd like you to come. I mean, if you want to come, of course. -  

- Uhm... - Hyunggu's already hesitating answer made Jiyeon to drop her smile instantly.

The boy felt so bad about it but he needed to be honest with her. He was like that. 

- I'm sorry, Jiyeon. I can't. - 

- Oh, sure. I'm so stupid. I'm telling you with so short notice. You probably already have plans. - Jiyeon said with her face completely red from embarrassment. She turned around to walk away. 

Hyunggu saw how she tried to walk with her head down low and the tone of Jiyeon's voice rang in his head. He couldn't help but shout at her. 

- Wait. I... I'll go to your party. - he said and Jiyeon's eyes immediately shined with her illusions restored. 

- Really? That's great. I'll text you the address. - 

- It's okay. I know where you live. - Hyunggu added and she just smiled brighter. 

- Good. Then, I'll see you there. - Jiyeon bid goodbye but remembered something and face him up again. - Also, you don't have to get me anything. It's just a party to have fun. - 

Hyunggu stood in the hallway for a long time after Jiyeon left. The excitement he had before was all gone. He didn't understand how he promised Jiyeon he'd go to her party when he knew very well he will not go. 

If Jiyeon felt sad when he first declined her invitation, how much more hurt she will be when she realizes he's not at the party? Because Hyunggu was certain she will notice his absence and then she will definitely be left heartbroken.  

He was so worried about it that he couldn't go home directly. He ended up at the playground near his house and sat on the swing for a while going over everything in his head. 

Finally, he sent a text to Chaeyeon. He had thought long about it before he sent it. He thought if it was a good idea to tell her but she had said to him they were friends, and so, maybe she could help him with his problem. 

Chaeyeon texted back soon after and asked him where he was. It didn't take her too long to get to the location. She saw the posture of his body and immediately knew something was wrong but still spoke with a happy voice. 

- So, what's up? Why did you want to see me? - 

She sat on the swing next to his and looked at him expecting a reply. But Hyunggu didn't talk for a whole minute. He was just staring at his phone.

- Jiyeon invited me to her birthday party this Friday. - he said at last. 

- Oh, did she? - Chaeyeon asked in a fake surprised tone. Of course, she knew Jiyeon would invite him.

- Yeah... but the thing is I can't go. - 

- Why? - 

- I have something to do. I can't go. - 

- Alright, then don't go. What's the problem? - Chaeyeon questioned him not understanding the issue. 

- The problem is I already told her I'd go. I'm obliged to go but I can't. So I was thinking if you could help me get out of this. - 

- What? Is that why you needed to see me? - 

- Yes. I've been trying to come up with a good excuse to say to Jiyeon but I can't think anything good enough because I don't want to hurt her. - Hyunggu said. 

- And you think I can come up with something good? - Chaeyeon asked. 

- Yeah. You lie easier than I do. Besides, you know Jiyeon better. You could find the words to not hurt her. - 

Chaeyeon laughed with disbelief at his words and for a moment she believed that he was joking. I mean, do his words sound logical? I don't think so. But Chaeyeon saw he was serious and she sighed wi

Please log in to read the full chapter