A Type.

Memories: After. {On Hiatus}
Please log in to read the full chapter

"How should I start? How should I ask him? Do I go straight to the point? Or do I start a conversation first?"

Chaeyeon questioned herself Tuesday afternoon when she was having coffee with Rowoon. They had watched a movie after the private lessons and all the time Chaeyeon kept looking for the perfect moment to ask Rowoon what he liked about Minji.  

They talked for two hours and Chaeyeon pretended to understand everything he said about the management of his club, his work, and his life as a college student. She realized time was running out and she needed to get the words out. She just needed to ask him. 

- I'm glad you agreed on coming with me because there's something I wanted to talk to you about. I wanted to ask your advice on something. - she said with a smile. 

- Yeah, sure. Tell me what is it. - Rowoon replied. 

- So... there's a boy I like. - Chaeyeon paused to look at Rowoon's expression. She wanted to see through his eyes if he had some sort of feelings for her. But his expression did not change at all. He motioned at her. 

- Yes, go ahead. - 

- There's this boy I think I like but I'm not so sure about it. I don't know if I like him enough to go out with him, or if we should remain friends. - 

- Well, what do you like about him? - 

- He's hot. - Chaeyeon answered thinking about him in specific. Rowoon laughed. 

- And what else? - 

- Uh... he's really smart and he's a gentleman. - she added as she remembered how he opened the door for her every single time. 

- What about him? What does he feel for you? - 

Chaeyeon looked down and bit her lips. That was a tough question. 

- I don't know. I'm not sure. - she ended up saying and Rowoon let out a sigh. 

- Oh, that's a problem. I'm all in for confessing to the person you like with confidence. But I think you should take into account the other person's feelings before confessing if there's a friendship between the two that could be jeopardized. Is that why you're doubting? - Rowoon asked her. 

- Yeah, that's why I don't know what to do. - Chaeyeon agreed and watched him stayed quiet as he thought about what to say so she hurried to speak.

- If you don't mind me mentioning this. What was it like for you and Minji? Was there a friendship between the two that could be ruined or how did you two starting dating? What did you like about her? - Chaeyeon took a sip of her coffee and acted like the questions were asked randomly instead of having been rehearsed like they really were. 

Rowoon drank from his cup as well as a soft smile spread across his face. Chaeyeon noticed it. Ouch. It was a bad sign. 

- Ok, I'll tell you. This might help you with your problem. - Rowoon said as he sat back. - I actually liked Minji's friend first. -  

- What? Really? - 

Chaeyeon was taken aback. Before she knew about Rowoon dating Minji, she could have sworn he was not interested in anyone. How did she miss he liked somebody else? 

- Yes. That friend is more my type. Minji is not the usual type of girl I like. - 

- You don't say. - Chaeyeon muttered under her breath. 

- The story is I liked this girl and I asked her out but she declined me. You know I'm not a quitter. I don't give up that easily. I figured that if she got to know me better, maybe she'd change her mind. Or maybe she wouldn't but that way I could move on and it was worth the shot. So I started hanging out with her circle of friends and that's how I met Minji. - 

- Oh, so you met through common friends. - Chaeyeon said and he nodded. 

- Yes, it's funny how I didn't meet her through her brothers considering how long I've known them or through the private academy. - 

"That is funny." Chaeyeon thought to herself.  

- I saw Minji for the first time and I immediately knew what type of girl she was. A girl coming from a private school. A religious girl with very strict parents. That girl that has never skipped a single class and she's always studying. A girl that has never cheated on a test or has never smoked. I knew she was a good girl. And I was not wrong. But, the more I got to spend time with her, the more interesting she became. She turned out to be this cool girl that was so fun to be around with. And I liked her. - Rowoon said. 

- And you asked her out. - Chaeyeon guessed but Rowoon denied with his head. 

- Eventually, the friend agreed on going on a date with me and it was the most boring date I've ever had. For the both of us. We had nothing in common, nothing to talk about. Maybe because I was no longer interested in her. Anyway, it was with her help that I came to realize I was interested in Minji. And then I asked her out. She said yes and the rest is history. Did you understand the point I tried to make? - he finished saying. 

- That Minji is not your type. - Chaeyeon said with a smile that he gave back. 

- Close to that. I meant to say you shouldn't give much importance to your "type of guy", cause at the end of the day you'd like someone even if they're not your ideal image of a partner. I noticed you mentioned first that this guy is hot but the outside shouldn't matter either. Sure, it's okay to be attracted to a person because you like the way they look but make sure you also see what's beyond that. You'll end up surprised most of the times. I guess it's not the advice you wanted but I hope it works for you. - 

Yes, it wasn't the advice Chaeyeon wanted and it was not what she wanted to hear. She got from his words he really liked Minji. He liked all the things he mentioned about her, even if they were the things he never thought he would like in a girl.  

Rowoon took Chaeyeon home a bit later and on their way there, the girl noticed he was singing the same song she had heard him sang for the past weeks. She asked the name to look it up later. They said goodbye with Rowoon opening the door for her once again and the night was over. 

Next day in school, Chaeyeon searched for Hyunggu but the boy seemed to be avoiding her and it was until Thursday at lunchtime that she got the chance to talk to him. They went to the patio and stood behind some trees.

- Are you hiding from me? - she asked him. 

- No, I'm not. I was just busy yesterday. - he replied and she didn't buy it not one bit. 

- Right. Did you talk to Minji? Did she tell you what she liked about Rowoon? -

- I did ask. I asked her and she did tell me. But... - 

- But what? - 

- I didn't hear it. - Hyunggu said with a low voice that could barely be heard. 

- What was that? - Chaeyeon asked again. Hyunggu smiled nervously. 

- I said I didn't hear it. Sometimes I get distracted with Minji's voice, and her sweet smile, and the way her eyes shine. With the lessons, I can ask her to explain it again but this time I couldn't ask for a second time. I'm sorry. - 
Chaeyeon was too stunned that it took her a few seconds to react. She grabbed her hair in frustration when she finally could answer.

- Oh my God, Hyunggu. That was your only task! - she claimed and the boy looked down embarrassed. 

- I can't believe it. - she said once more. - I can't believe you. How can you say you like Minji and not pay attention to her? The first thing you need to learn about girls is that we like to be listened to. We like to be heard. - 

Hyunggu nodded in silence and he looked like such a sad puppy that Chaeyeon just sighed and told him it was okay. 

- You're right. You can't ask Minji again and we could go on without knowing what she liked about Rowoon but I think it'd help us to know. So I'll ask her now. The bad part is that unless I wait until next Tuesday, I'll have to go see her to her house and I don't want to go there. I don't want to run into her Mother cause she's always trying to set me up with Younghoon. -  

- Tell her you already have a boyfriend and she'll leave you alone. - Hyunggu said, trying to be helpful. 

- Wow, Kino. What a naughty boy you are. You want me to lie to an elder like that? Wow. - 

- You lied to my Dad when you first met him. - Hyunggu defended himself. 

- You truly are something else, Angel. Shame on you. - Chaeyeon said with her typical mischievous smile as she walked away from Hyunggu, leaving him confused and amused at the same time. 

Yet the fact that she had a boyfriend was the first thing Chaeyeon said when she went to Minji's house and met Mrs. Kim. She had asked Jungkook where she could see his sister but it wasn't useful.

- A boyfriend, you say. You're in your senior year, you should be focusing on school. - Mrs. Kim said with a disapproving look.

Disapproving because she wanted her to be her daughter-i

Please log in to read the full chapter