Wishful Thinking.

Memories: After. {On Hiatus}
Please log in to read the full chapter

- And so, what am I going to do now? - Yeeun asked Eunwoo that night after they came from the amusement park. They were in front of the building where Eunwoo lived and Yeeun was going to take the bus to go home. As always, Jungkook offered to take her but she declined. She needed to talk to her best friend first about her newly discovered feelings. 

Feelings she wasn't especially proud of. She felt dumb for falling for someone she clearly knew was interested in another person. Someone who was doing the extreme to get the attention of his crush. 

Although there were the thoughts of all the things, of all the suspicious actions Jungkook had towards her. Was he just being nice? She knew he was playful, that he liked to joke with her. But, was calling her pretty or going to her house to return a book something he would simply do? 

Maybe he saw her as a friend and this was the way he acted with his friends.  Maybe she was misinterpreting his actions. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. 

- What do you mean what you're going to do? Just tell him. It's easy. - Eunwoo replied. 

- Just tell him? How? How can I tell him I like... him... when it's just pretending. When he likes somebody else. - Yeeun lowered her head. 

- But you could get an answer you don't expect. Maybe he likes you, too. - Eunwoo said and it made Yeeun get excited for a second but then all her doubts came rushing to her again. 

She didn't want to believe it because if it was not true it was going to hurt a lot when she got rejected. 

- I don't think so. - Yeeun sadly said. 

- Okay. Then, let's look at it differently. It could be that you're just confused. It could be you don't like him for real. -  

Yeeun stayed in silence for a moment and then awkwardly agreed. 

- Yes... it could be. I mean, it all happened in the span of a few weeks. I couldn't have fallen for him in such a short time. - she added and struggling to believe in those words herself. 

She couldn't have fallen for his playfulness, for the fact that he never seemed to be afraid of her. She couldn't have fallen for how he tried to protect her from Jeongmin, although she didn't buy it at first. Nor for how he protects his other friends, Seokmin in particular. Or what he can do for them. Nor was for how he listened to her story and didn't blame her. He didn't hesitate in pointing out her own fault for letting that affect her until then either.  

With a heavy heart, she said goodbye to Eunwoo and got on the bus to go home. Her friend watched her go and took a picture of her back. She sighed as she thought about how she was going to label that photo as. 

"It looks I'm going to have to step in again," Eunwoo said to herself as she grabbed her phone to make a call.  

Next day at school things seemed normal at first. At least for Yeeun, who had decided to wait a bit more and observe Jungkook's behavior better until she could see if she could confess her heart or not. 

Since it was Monday morning she got to school early and the place was empty. Except for one motorcycle that was parked right next to Yeeun's bike. She knew to whom it belonged to and just the thought of it made her heart beat fast. She went around the school looking for that person. 

She found Jungkook sitting on the bench of the outdoor basketball court. He was looking down playing a game on his phone but looked up once she approached him. 

- What are you doing here so early? - she asked him and sat next to him. The boy put his phone down and smiled at her. 

- Seokmin called me last night and said he needed help with something and asked me to meet him at this time but he's nowhere to be found. - 

- At this hour? Well, I'm sure he'll be here soon. - Yeeun replied but Jungkook laughed. 

- I doubt it. He most likely woke up but fell asleep again. - Jungkook said and then laughed again as he looked at the patio and pointed to the place the pictures of Jeongmin once were. - You know, that day we put up the banner, Seokmin was supposed to be outside to stop anyone that entered the school. But, he failed. - 

Yeeun laughed thinking about it because she never saw anyone outside. But it made her understand more about that day. 

- So that's why you knew I entered. I know you saw me at the bicycle parking but you turned around as if you knew someone was there already. - she said and Jungkook turned to her. 

- I did know you were there but because I know you always get here early on Mondays. - 

His answer surprised her and she tried to laugh it off. 

- How did you know? Are you a stalker? - 

- It's more like you're oblivious to your surroundings. You're not the only one that comes early. I bet you the basketball team will be here soon since they use this hour to practice outside. There were sometimes you and I were alone in the classroom but you never paid attention to me. I even tried to talk to you but you were always in your own world. Reading. - Jungkook finished saying with a bittersweet smile that somehow made Yeeun feel sad. 

It was true. She didn't recall any time she saw him in the classroom until classes started and she put her books away to take notes and listen to the teachers. Was he being honest? Did he really try to talk to her? 

Yeeun took a deep breath and ask him why he wanted to talk to her as she nudged him to which he replied nudging her back. 

- Why do you think? I wanted to be your friend. - 

And with that, she was sadder. He said to her she locked herself up. She used to believe she was lucky to have met Eunwoo because she was not only her best friend, she was her only friend. And in fact she was lucky to have her friend, but, it wasn't that Eunwoo was an incredibly nice person what made her Yeeun's only friend. It was that Yeeun never bothered in making more because she isolated herself to that point. 

Even when she liked Younghoon, she never approached him. She was not a coward but she never talked to him before. Because a part of her didn't really want to. She was comfortable the way she was.  

- Well, now we are friends. - Yeeun added with humor to which Jungkook replied in the same tone. 

- I thought we were more than friends. -

They both laughed in unison but they started to feel strange, they felt awkward. You know how people say there's part of truth in a joke and it was as if Yeeun and Jungkook could feel it.  

At this point, both had their feelings clear and without knowing they were trying to figure out if the other felt the same before they made the first move. Still, they wanted to know. 

- About that... - they said at the same time interrupting each other's sentences. 

Before they could talk again they heard people coming and saw Jaehyun, Younghoon, and Minho who came for practice but they went straight to the bench to sit next to Yeeun and Jungkook. 

- Why did we have to come so early if the others won't be here? - Minho claimed annoyed and behind them, another voice spoke. 

- That's what I'm saying. Why are you here so early interrupting people? - 

It was Seokmin looking hilariously mad. Eunwoo came with him with a sheepish smile that Yeeun caught a glimpse of.  

"Did they set this up?"     

But the boys weren't the only there. Chaeyeon and Hyunggu came from the patio to sit on the bench in front of them. Chaeyeon was holding a notebook that they were reading and discussing. Aside from the day before, the both of them had been seen together and it made people speculate about it. They weren't classmates, it was strange how they appeared to have become friends. Minho, as the King of gossip, tried to know more.  

- Why is Chaeyeon with that guy again? Are they dating? - he asked Jaehyun. 

- She says they're study partners. - 

- She's a senior. What could they be studying together? - Youngho

Please log in to read the full chapter