Epilogue

Third Time's a Charm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                It was the hottest summer yet and Haneul cursed her air conditioner for choosing to break down at such a time. Sweat dripped from her temples and down her back where her tank top clung to her skin. With her hair piled high on her head, she looked ready like she ran a marathon despite having been stuck to her couch the entire day.

                Glancing through the corners of her eyes, she caught a glimpse of Jackson fanning himself frantically where he was slumped on the other end of the couch. He had completely underestimated the heat of the sun and had arrived at her apartment in a hoodie and jeans. The moment he stepped through the door, he had immediately regretted his choice of clothing. Now, Haneul could see his clothes discarded on the floor, leaving him in a thin black wife beater and a pair of basketball shorts he had found in her room.

                On any other day, she would have used this as an opportunity to make fun of him but she found that she hardly had the energy to do so in this heat. Instead, she settled for using all her energy in fanning herself violently in an attempt to ward off the unbearable heat.

“Baaaaaaabe,” Jackson whined from across her. “Can’t we go out where it’s not hot? I can’t take it anymore!”

                Haneul gave him a blank stare. “And what?” she asked. “Risk facing the sun’s rays head on? No thanks.”

“C’mon,” he continued to complain. “It’s better than staying in a room that has absolutely no air flowing through it. I feel like a chicken roasting in an oven!” In a desperate attempt, he crawled over and pushed his face close to hers. “Please, Neul-ah!”

                Haneul pushed his head away from her, hating how his sticky skin felt against hers. “Fine, fine! We’ll go out, so long as you keep your sweaty away from me.” She wrinkled her nose at him in disgust.

                Ignoring her request, Jackson excitedly planted a loud kiss on her cheek. He immediately regretted it and hastily wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “Ew. Maybe we should both take a shower before we leave, though.”

                Jackson quickly dodged the fist aimed at his stomach, cackling. He raced towards the bathroom, ignoring the insults hurled at him.

“Yah!” Haneul screamed, running after him. “Come back here, you insufferable idiot!”

“Love you too, babe!” he yelled back before he shut the bathroom door in her face.

                Cheeks aflame, Haneul glared at the door and willed it to open with her eyes. When it didn’t, she went back to the kitchen to get a glass of water. As she did so, she couldn’t help the grin that crept onto her face. Said smile was gone the moment she saw the mess of sweaty clothes her boyfriend had left on the floor.

“Aish, what a slob.”

 

“Do you ever wonder what it would be like if we never gave up on our childhood dreams?”

                Jackson turned his head to raise an eyebrow at Haneul questioningly. They were both lying on their backs at the rooftop of his apartment building, gazing up at the starless night sky. Though it was a pointless activity, living in Seoul of all places, but Haneul thought it would be nice even if they had to use their imagination the entire time. He didn’t mind since it gave them a break from the chaos that came with graduating and let them just be Jackson and Haneul in their own little world.

“What do you mean?” he inquired, propping himself on an elbow to get a better look at the girl beside him.

                Haneul gazed at the moon that hung in the sky, illuminating the otherwise dark sky. “I mean,” she began. “Don’t you regret not taking up the offer from that entertainment company all those years ago? What about your career as an Olympic fencer?”

                He couldn’t suppress the small chuckle that escaped him. This caused her to tear her eyes from the moon and settle on his bright eyes. Under the moonlight, her eyes sparkled with an ever-present curiosity that never left her face. She looked somewhat ethereal with her hair glowing as it surrounded her like a halo, and it made his heart race like it always did when he was with her.

“Of course, I wonder about that,” Jackson answered honestly. At this, a frown formed on his girlfriend’s face. Jackson was quick to reach over and reassure her, caressing her cheek with his thumb gently. “But it really doesn’t bother me, Neul-ah. I’ve got a great life now and no amount of fame or money can make me think otherwise.”

                Staring into her eyes, Jackson knew that Haneul understood. A soft smile graced her face as she leaned into his touch.

“I guess my life is pretty great too, don’t you think?” Haneul pres

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter