Jell-O Shots

Same Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Happy belated birthday, Joohyunnie!”

Irene’s eyes sparkled at the ring. It was a thin platinum band, curved to a tip to replicate the shape of an ocean wave.

“Wait…” She trailed off, grabbing Seulgi’s right hand and holding it close to her face. “It’s the same as yours?”

Seulgi nodded sheepishly. “Surprise couple rings?”

She stared at her girlfriend with an indecipherable expression. Irene remembered when Seulgi bought that same ring for herself as a congratulatory present for getting the competitive internship last summer. It was one of her most prized possessions and Irene had never seen her without it. And the fact that she wanted to share it and turned it into a couple thing warmed her heart in a dangerous way.

“So, uh, will you wear it?” Seulgi asked nervously.

Irene snapped out of her faraway day dreams of wearing actual wedding rings instead and turned to shoot her girlfriend a wide grin. “Of course! Wait. Is this a couple ring or a promise ring?”

“Is there a difference?”

A giggle escaped Irene’s lips at the way Seulgi tilted her head cutely, brows furled slightly. She stole a peck on her cheek.

“In Korea, yeah. Couple rings are exchanged on their 100 days. Promise rings are the step before engagement rings. It’s like saying ‘this is my promise to marry you someday.’ When we both have our together basically.”

“Ah,” Seulgi nodded seriously. She then beamed at the older girl. “It’s both then. We already passed our 100 days, so it’ll count for both.”

“You want to marry me someday?”

“Duh. I tell you how we’re gonna get married and have 10 kids all the time. Do you not listen?”

Irene squinted at her girlfriend suspiciously, unsure if she was being serious or shamelessly flirty like usual. “You’ve been saying you’re going to marry me since before we even became an official couple.”

“What’s your point?”

A slow flush rolled through Irene’s cheeks. She was thankful for the lack of lights in the car, lest Seulgi’s teasing would be relentless. This just meant Seulgi had wanted to marry her since they practically met. Seulgi had been in love with her since the beginning. She bit her bottom lip, fighting back a smile.

“Ring ding dong. Earth to Bae Joohyun?” Seulgi waved her hand in front of the other girl’s face.

“C’mere,” Irene murmured suddenly, grabbing her girlfriend by the back of her neck and pulling her into a searing kiss. She felt the familiar rise of butterflies fill her stomach and part of her wondered how she ever thought she could end up with anyone other than Seulgi.

Irene had her fair share of relationships, but if Seulgi gave her butterflies, everyone else couldn’t even conjure up a caterpillar in comparison.

They broke the kiss when they heard her manager coughed, eyeing them with a knowing smirk from the driver’s seat. The car had stopped moving and neither even noticed.

“Not that I’m complaining, but what was that for?” Seulgi asked, blinking and breathless.

“Don’t worry about it.” Irene chuckled, reaching over the taller girl’s lap to push open the door. “Lead the way.”

Seulgi slipped out first, waving to a group of familiar faces hollering hellos from the entrance of the bar. She waved back enthusiastically and held her hand out for Irene to take as she stepped out, milky legs making the first appearance followed by the fitted red dress.

(When she first tried on the dress for Seulgi, her dork of a girlfriend shot her a cheesy smirk, saying, “Red Velvet wearing red velvet. Sounds about right.” Irene just shoved her and walked away.)

She turned to wave goodbye to their manager. “Thanks for the ride oppa! I’ll let you know when we’re ready to go.”

He nodded, shifting the car into drive. “Be safe! Have fun you two!”

“Bye op~pah!” Seulgi yelled, clearly tipsy from their private pregame from earlier. She was practically bouncing on the balls of her feet with excitement. “Come on, come on!” She took Irene’s hand and half dragged her towards the door. Seulgi couldn’t wait to finally introduce (show off) her girlfriend to her friends.

“Wow, the nerd finally comes out to play!” A tall girl greeted, lanky arm going over Seulgi’s shoulder and putting her in a playful headlock.

“Shut up Kino! I’m here now, that’s all that matters!” Seulgi faked annoyance but grinned nonetheless. She pushed Irene in front of her, right in the center of her friends. “Guys, this is Irene—as most of you guys know. Babe, these are my friends, Kino, Rei, and Mina. But you already knew that too.”

Which they definitely did. One of the first things her American friends learned about Seulgi was that she had a best friend turned girlfriend named Irene back at home. They had more than a typical couple’s share of obstacles due to the long distance, but they all watched happily as Seulgi would FaceTime Irene at random odd hours. It only took a matter of time for them to start barging in the calls too and soon enough they became friends with Irene too.

Imagine their shock when Seulgi FaceTimed her one day just as Irene was getting ready to step on stage. They knew of k-pop as a concept, but to actually know an idol on a personal level was even cooler.

“It’s nice to finally meet you!” Irene squealed, only to have the same hyper energy mirrored back.

“She’s been practicing her Engli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter