CLOUD TO GLASS

CLOUD EYES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter





 

The eyes are the windows to the soul, they said. For Her, it truly was.

 

Her is an ordinary 18-year old girl with an extraordinary gift --- she could see, hear, and feel what people are thinking as long as she looks into their eyes.

 

Eyes never lie, she believed.

 

She can see what people really want to say at that current moment in time without saying it. It’s a very handy gift and she uses it to her advantage. She can see the answer in her teacher’s eyes when they ask a question in class. She wins almost every chess game, being able to monitor her opponents thoughts and being always 3 steps ahead. She can land a job easily because all interviews really are for her are mind games. She acts as a mediator in her family and can appease everyone in fights, a time when people typically don’t say how they really feel, or even worse, the opposite. Whatever it was, all Her had to do was look into their eyes.

 

However, sometimes she wants her gift to disappear. It can be the most inconvenient gift at certain times. It distracts her from watching TV shows, plays, musicals, and movies as the actors never mean what they say. She becomes jealous of others as she can never be fully immersed or happily fooled by magic tricks. On a heavier note, she can see when people are bored and are only trying to be polite to her; when people lie to her for multiple reasons, maybe to salvage their self-esteem or their pride or even take advantage of her; or when people think ill of her to the point that she becomes insecure about herself. Sometimes, she thinks, it’s best to not know.

 

Ignorance is bliss, she also believed.

 

Only one friend is constant in her life and that girl was Rose. They met in elementary school and ever since then, not once did Rose say anything that she meant differently. Friends over the years come and go, but she always find herself reconnecting with Rose as she is the only friend that has always been truly genuine with her. She’s been genuine from the day they met that there was no point in keeping her secret. Rose is the only one who knows about her gift. As close as they are, circumstances arose and they lived hundred of miles apart. Her’s family always moved, but from time to time, they meet each other again to reconnect.

 

Now, Her lives in a very small state and is about to embark on a new journey— college. There were no doubts she’d succeed as she’s known to always plan ahead. That’s how she grew up and that’s how her parents raised her to be. Her parents and most of her family members are medical professionals and are very responsible people, and Her was no different.

 

Her thinks about using her gift to her advantage to become a forensic nurse.

 

In 1 year, I will volunteer at the hospital. In 2 years time, I will get a job in the field to get my foot in the door. In 3 years, I will become a teaching assistant. And in 4 years time, I will graduate and work at the local hospital.

 

Everything is always set because she made it so.

 

+++++++++++


 

“You should come to this club with me. My other friends are telling me to check it out,”

 

“What kind of club is it?”

 

“It’s an Asian cultural club.”

 

If there was one word to describe how Her started her college career, it would be undoubtedly the word ‘boring.’ She didn’t meet new friends but kept her blinders on to focus on the path to her goals. Perhaps it was also the fact that she commuted to school that made her a loner. The only friend she engaged with is an old friend from high school, who she dubbed as ‘the girl with a perfect smile,’ named Emily.

 

Emily was a good friend. She could see it in her eyes. However, Her did not feel satisfied with their friendship as they did not have a lot of things in common, except for the fact that they were both science majors. This only similarity leads in unfulfilling conversations about nothing else but school whenever they hang out at her dorm after classes. Therefore, Her decides she wants to make strides to make new friends. Plus, being Asian herself, she might learn a thing or two about her own heritage.

 

“Sure, I’ll check it out with you,” Her said.

 

+++++++++++

 

Her met a lot of new people at the club. The good news was that many of them had a similar background to hers resulting in easy conversations and light banters for good fun. She can see it in their eyes that they enjoyed talking to her as much as she enjoyed talking to them. She received countless invitations to visit their dorms to hang out and some of them were even surprisingly near Emily’s dorm. The energy was pleasant and amiable, and Her didn’t have trouble to make acquaintances until they piled up. She decides she wants to keep coming to the club and learn more about the wonderful people she’s had the fortunate opportunity to meet.

 

++++++++++++

 

2 days after going to the club, Her is at Emily’s dorm after a long day. Her is finally thankful they now have other things to talk about other than school to be able to unwind properly.

 

“Did you meet Taylor?” Emily asked, referring to one of the girls she met at the club.

 

“No, I must have missed her,” Her said.

 

“She is so funny! She’s so outspoken and so open. She has a crush on this guy, Jungkook,”

 

“I met Jungkook, the tall guy right? He’s tall and cute, I see why she would like him,”

 

“I heard he’s apparently really religious,”

 

“Oh really? I never would have known! But...is Taylor the same way?”

 

“Haha no, she’s far from that! But she’s still trying! It’s actually interesting to see. In fact, I think she’s in there right now.”

 

“In where?”

 

“In Jungkook’s room. Jungkook only lives 2 doors away. Should we visit and see?”

 

“Sure!”

 

Her feels exhilaration and great anticipation about getting to know more about their acquaintances, Her follows Emily to Jungkook’s dorm but they see that the door is already wide open. She notices the baby-faced but tall man sitting on the bed, scrunching over to fit in between the bunks with notes in his hands.

 

‘Lord God, please tell me why does this girl keep coming here?’

 

Her sees another person sitting on a desk. She is glowingly brown-skinned, curly-haired, and has a distinguished perky face. From process of elimination, Her arrives at the conclusion that she is the girl named Taylor.

 

‘He won’t give in to have lunch with me!’

 

As the two people look over to see who arrived at the door, Taylor jumps from the desk yelling,

“BABY! COME IN! COME IN!” and gives Emily a hug.

 

“Oh, hi Her, hi Em,” Jungkook greeted.

 

“Your name is Her? What a unique name! I love it.” Taylor said. It’s a common compliment that could be thrown around but Her detects in her eyes that she’s being genuine.

 

“Yeah, she was at the club too but I think you guys missed each other,” Emily said.

 

“There were a lot of people so I’m not surprised. And thank you!” Her said.

 

The four people in the room talk about school at first to break the ice, however, it doesn’t take long for all of them to hit it off. When she looks into Taylor’s eyes, her thoughts always fly as quickly as they disappear that it requires Her to sometimes give it her full attention. It’s as if it’s a fast-forwarded tape recorder. As for Jungkook, she sees that he’s as religious as Emily describes he was and talks to his God 24/7.

 

Her learns that Taylor and Jungkook have been going to the club since the beginning of college and they enlighten the newcomers a thing or two about it.

 

“Yeah, some of these people go WAAAAY back -- back to high school, back to middle school, back to kindergarten even!” Jungkook says. Her, being raised in different states as she grew up, was foreign to the concept of seeing the same people over and over again.

 

“Remember, Hoseok? I haven’t talked to him since middle school, and we found each other in the club. Now, we couldn’t be closer,” Jungkook said. Her giggles to herself as she uncovers that Jungkook really thinks this Hoseok person is annoying but he’s too polite to say.

 

“What about you, Taylor? Did you know anybody there before?” Emily asked.

 

“Me? No...I grew up in Maryland. I’m from out of state,” Taylor said.

 

“Yeah, she’s a rural girl raised amidst a wheatfield, but she has a big ol’ mansion and some slaves to do her chores,” Jungkook jokes.

 

“Jungkook! Yeah, my parents can afford out-of-state tuition, but that’s far from saying I’m that rich! What about you, allowance boy? Got your weekly $500 yet from mom and dad?” Taylor retorts and Jungkook makes a disgusted expression.

 

‘Oh sweet Lord Jesus, please give me the courage not to MMMMM at this girl.’

 

‘Oh my god oh my god oh my god, he’s so cute when he looks so dumbfounded.’

 

Her finds their dynamic amusing and the more she talks to them, the more they become comical even to the point of being campy. Her thrill and eagerness almost couldn’t be contained as she waits for next week.

 

+++++++++

 

Her comes home from school after having an enjoyable talk with the two new characters. The first thing she does always when she arrives home is to take a shower, and after that, homework. When she comes out, she receives an unexpected text message.

 

(555)-583-9034: Hey Her! It’s Jimin. Just wondering if you can hang this Saturday? Most of us are going to the city to get some good food! We’re also going to the arcade to play some games! You can meet other people you haven’t met if you want to come!

8:54 pm

 

Getting this text message from Jimin excited her. She hasn’t gone out to the city in a long time, especially not since college started. She stretches across her bed and smiles at her phone as she replies.

 

Her: Yeah! Sounds like a lot of fun! I can drive if you want. I know most of them don’t commute like I do lol

8:55 pm

 

(555)-583-9034: Yes! TY!!! That would be a big help! Let’s meet at the building outside of the club by 9:15! (:

8:57 pm

 

Her: Got it! No prob!

8:58 pm

 

Her saves Jimin’s number before throwing it across her bed. She finishes her homework for the day and prepares for bed. As she lays in her bed with eyes closed, sniffing the fresh scent of her covers, she ponders who she could be close to in the club -- who she would want to share her secrets with, who she would want to go to certain places with, who she might be interested in, and if Taylor would ever be able to get Jungkook to like her.

 

She can already tell it’s going to be an interesting semester being part of a community. It’s a small university in a small state and they’re all relatively the same age -- they’re bound to meet each other again and again at different points in time, just like how Jungkook described. Her wants that. She longs for it. She wants to have history with other people as she felt secluded all her life, moving from one state to another since childhood, having no option but to say goodbye to her friends. Connecting through social media is a good consolation but it’s not the same-- she can’t see their eyes.

 

Her has had trouble sleeping ever since college started and she doesn’t know why. Maybe it was from anxiety of trying not to forget something in the morning, or that she perhaps doesn’t get physically tired enough arising from the fact that she has to sit in lecture for hours. Whatever it was, it takes Her a long time to eventually fall asleep. As she tosses from her bed in an attempt to knock down her consciousness, Her thinks of another goal, a personal one, which is different from the others.

 

In 1 years time, I hope I won’t be lonely anymore.

 

++++++++

 

Saturday comes and Her drives and parks in front of the building. She walks towards the huddle of people and socializes with some more new faces as they wait for others to arrive. She meets Peter, Tiffany, Matthew, Yoongi, Jin, Nicole, and many others she can’t remember the names of. However, she realizes that Emily is not amongst the crowd.

 

Her: Wher r u? I’m here.

9:03 am

 

Emily: We’ll be there! Give us like 10 mins.

9:10 am

 

Her: Who’s we?

9:11 am

 

Emily: Me, JK, Taylor, and JK’s friend. He’s not in the club but he invited him along...idk. We’re on our way.

9:13 am

 

Jungkook’s friend is not in the club? Isn’t this for club members only? I guess he can check it out and join if he wants.

 

Her is tremendously optimistic about others joining, as she herself felt the warmth of the people who welcomed her for the first time.

 

In the middle of exchanging conversations with the new characters, an old beaten-up white sedan pulls up to the curb and catches her attention. She observes a tall cute guy, a curly-haired spunk, and a girl with a perfect smile come out from the car’s crooked doors.The last figure to come out, however, is unfamiliar to her. He was as tall as Jungkook but with long hair that kisses his strong eyes and flirts the back of his nape. His stature was broad and he walks with his hands in his pockets, seemingly sheepish and reserved. His smooth skin ethereally glows from under the ray of sunlight that beams from above and Her finds herself captivated.

 

Who is he?

 

“I-I-Is that Taehyung?” a hovering whisper cuts the air as the huddle that Her is in all look at the mysterious figure coming out of the car.

 

“Oh my- Wha- I can’t believe he’s coming out,” another whisper said. Her tries to look into their eyes to enlighten herself of the gossip but all eyes stuck to him. Her’s curiosity piques at its maximum.

 

The four figures join her huddle and she greets them briefly. However, she saves her greeting from the mysterious figure as she feels somewhat intimidated by his presence.

 

“Ok guys! I think everyone’s here! Everyone we’re going to eat first and it’s a 45 minute to an hour drive to the city! Drivers who don’t have the address, I have it here so you can put it in your GPS!” Jimin yells loud enough for all to hear.

 

Her gets the address from Jimin and the four figures follow her to her car.

 

“Hey Her, can Taehyung ride with us?” Jungkook asked.

 

“Y-yeah no problem. I-I’m Her by the way, nice to meet you,” reaching out her hand for a handshake.

 

“Taehyung,” he says stoically as he receives it. Her becomes surprised as she hears for the first time Taehyung’s unique deep and velvety voice. But what catches her attention the most is not Taehyung’s good looks or his voice, it’s his unusually cloudy and murky brown eyes.

 

‘She- SHHHHH- I don’t- SHHHHH good’


 

W-What’s this?

 

It was unlike other people’s thoughts, which are typically crystal clear. To Her, Taehyung’s thoughts are like a radio being browsed in a short amount of time. She could only hear one word at a time before the white noise interrupts everything else and she has never encountered anything like it.

 

Her becomes perplexed and even spooked, but she turns around and walks to her car to try to act normal. She jumps in at the driver’s seat and notices the three familiar figures squish at the back. She deduces that Taehyung will sit in the passenger’s seat next to her, and she becomes nervous as she foresees the obligation to speak to him for the whole car ride.

 

“Hope you don’t mind I sit here. I have long legs,” Taehyung said as he takes the passenger’s seat.

 

“No no, I don’t mind,” Her said. I mind a little.

 

On the way to the city, the front half of the car sits in silence as the back fills with conversations and laughter. Her tries to cut into the conversation, as did Taehyung, but the two ignored each other. At times, Her pretends to check the right side mirror, trying to get a glimpse of the boy.

 

He’s beautiful but...intimidating. Almost as if he’s always mad or he’s troubled. It must be his eyes. His eyes are cloudy- muddy- murky...like they’re trying to cover something. I can’t read him. C’mon Her, talk to him.

 

“S-so how do you know, Jungkook?” Her gulps as she attempts a conversation.

 

“We went to the same high school together,” Taehyung says timidly.

 

“Ohhh, yeah I heard a lot of people at the club knew each other before college”

 

“I actually know most of them,” I shouldn’t be surprised since they were whispering about him. But why were they so shocked to see him? And to see him “out”?

 

“Must be just me who doesn’t know anybody then, even Emily knows some of them,”

 

“Yeah I’ve never seen you before. Not Emily either. I just met her last night at Jungkook’s dorm,”

 

“Oh, where do you live on campus?”

 

“I don’t go to school at you guys’s university. I go to the local community college,” Local community college? He doesn’t even go to school here? Technically he can’t be a part of the club then. What’s he doing here then?

 

“I see...I commute also. My parents and money...you know how it goes,”

 

“I know how it is,” Taehyung says. “I hang out at Jungkook’s dorm in between or after classes sometimes. Come hang out with us there if you want,”

 

“Why does everybody try to dominate my dorm?!” Jungkook suddenly cuts in frustrated. “Taehyung’s inviting people over, Taylor is weirdly cleaning and folding my clothes, and even napping in my bed!”

 

Oh Jungkook, if only you could take a hint.

 

“Jungkook! Your dorm is just the hangout place! It’s near everybody’s room and you can’t expect otherwise after buying that Mario Kart!” Taylor laughs as her curly hair bounces from her head.

 

Her and the other four meet the other people in the club. As they explore the city, Her learns more about Taehyung. She notices he has a sarcastic sense of humor and one peculiar fang shows itself when he flashes a boxy smile. When they reach the arcade, she notices he’s amazingly good at games and has the tendency to always apply strategy no matter how insignificant the game might be. Her observes Emily and Taehyung from afar fight over how to throw the ball to get the most points as she thinks of many possible reasons why his thoughts are the way they are.

 

He’s very friendly...in contrast to his looks. But he’s rather odd...I just can’t put my finger on it. He’s quiet and a little antisocial...speaks in short sentences but he’s trying.. Maybe that’s really how his mind is?

 

“He’s weird, isn’t he?” Jungkook leans on the claw crane machine by Her’s side, waiting for the others to be done with their game. They observe Taehyung from afar, laughing and teaching Emily how he thinks the ball should be thrown from their angle.

 

“A little. I’m afraid I can’t specify though,” Is it obvious to other people too?

 

“Yeah, he’s always been weird since I’ve met him. He’s quiet- introverted...and hides in his cave when he’s stressed out. So I talked him into coming today-- you know, let him have fun a little.”

 

“Stressed out? Why’s he stressed out?”

 

“Personal reasons. Mostly family. His life’s been a little rough. He’s not really close to his dad and sister, the only family he has, and he hasn’t seen his mom since he was nine.”

 

“Oh my God,” Her exclaims.

 

“It...gets sadder. He was so close to his cousin in high school. Actually, all three of us were really close. Me, him, and Joon. We hung out everyday until Joon died a fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter