1. Hi

Our Paths Crossing (Was no mistake)

“Hi”. It’s a short simple word, but that’s how love starts.

 

--

 

TAEHYUNG’S POV

 

They said that once you lost someone or something, it’s not exactly the same thing if it comes back to you.

 

True. Because many times in my life have I lost something. The difference is that, it never actually comes back, so maybe I’d rephrase that saying.

 

Once you lost it, it will never come back.

 

How many times have I lost something important to me?

 

There’s a lot but there is one thing that I’d lost that I really wish to come back to me.

 

What was his name?

 

Ah. Kookie.

 

Back when I was seven, I met a kid two years younger than me. My family owned an apartment complex and we got the top floor as our home, making the lower floors under us be the rental ones. This kid’s family just moved in when I am to start my first grade.

 

I saw him standing close by as he watches the movers help them with their things. For what I can remember, they moved because of the kid’s mother’s job.

 

Kookie owned a bunny stuffed toy and he was holding onto it as he watches people let down their things. He got an older brother, I believe he was ten back then, and his father. Both are helping the movers organize their things.

 

My mom brought me along to greet them, that’s why I’m there standing beside her as she greets the new tenants. They are very nice.

 

But my eyes landed on the boy aged five because he was very quiet. He’s wearing a onesie, colored pink, and it’s also has a bunny design. The tail behind it is so fluffy and cute. And his hood, though it’s down behind his nape, is expected to be just as cute once put on.

 

I let go of my Mommy’s hands to approach the kid aged five.

 

He was looking down on his feet that time when I approached him so by the time I came closer, he looked up to me after noticing my feet standing a few centimeters away from him.

 

“Hi.” I said, giving out my smile that according to my Mom and teachers, could charm anyone. “My name is Taetae. You are?”

 

The kid looked away. He’s shy. I can see it as he tried to ask his mom for help but  they’re too busy to care.

 

“I’m seven years old and I own a onesie pajama like yours but mine is designed as Pikachu.” I tried again, this time earning the kid’s attention. His eyes are wide, shining even, if that’s even possible.

 

“I…” he starts and I wait patiently but he looks away again. At first I thought he wouldn’t say anything anymore but, “I own one of those kinds too… and I’m Kookie. I am five years old.” He showed me his tiny hands, all five fingers open. “We just moved in and… please take care of me.”

 

That was the start of our friendship. We became inseparable.

 

When I leave for school, Kookie is with me because we’ll be passing by his kindergarten school. We walk together and I’ll leave him there. Once school is over, Kookie will be the first one to come home waiting for me and we’ll play in the nearby park.

 

There are a lot of times of us being together that I remember us taking a bath together, sleepovers, catching bugs. There is that one time too when we encountered older kids and they wanted our candies but Kookie push me behind his back and punched one in a face. We run our fastest that day to get home.

 

He was just five but he knew how to punch.

 

Those little hands really knew how to punch.

 

But of all the times that I remembered being with him, I remember one thing about Kookie very clearly.

 

His warmth.

 

Everything about him is warm. His hands. His whole body. EVERYTHING.

 

Kookie gives the warmest hugs too. He made me stop crying when the teacher didn’t pick my drawing for our banner contest back then.

 

Kookie gives the warmest and softest kisses too. He kissed me on my cheek to stop me from crying when we fall off our bikes.

 

His smile warms me up. And I don’t know but it triggers a smile out of me too.

 

The smile that triggers a smile out of me too…

 

Huh?

 

I wipe away the tears that left my once closed eyes because, huh, that dream again.

 

Why do I always dream of someone that I know will never come back even if I asked them too?

 

And why of all the people that I’ve lost, it’s him I’m dreaming of?

 

The day Kookie and his family moved out, not too long after that, my Dad died in a car crash. I lost them almost at the same time so why am I only getting dreams about Kookie?

 

The last time I heard from my Mom who kept in touch with their family, they went back to Busan because Kookie’s mother is permanently re-assigned there. And like your typical childhood friends that got separated, Kookie and I managed to give each other something we can get reminded of about each other.

 

It was a distant bracelet. It’s bigger when we’re just kids and was gifted to us by my grandmother but now it fits my wrist and it never leaves unless I take a bath.

 

I actually don’t know why I still keep it. I don’t even know if Kookie still remembers me. And if he still does, wouldn’t he at least call? We’re in that age where we can call each other now, right?

 

Maybe I’m the only one who cares?

 

I let out a frustrated sigh as I came out of my room. The spacious home I grew up with my mom and dad is now even more spacious knowing Dad is not around anymore.

 

That day that I lost my dad, I wished Kookie was there to make me stop from crying. I actually wished for him to come back and hug me or even kiss me just to make me stop but it ended as one of those wishful thinking that never come true.

 

I get ready for school that morning. Put on my uniform and tidied myself up. I greeted my Grandma a good morning before leaving the house and soon, I’m on my bike on my way to school.

 

A truck was making its way to our house and I suddenly got reminded of someone is moving in again that day.

 

That’s probably them, then.

 

I give it no attention for I don’t want to be late in school.

 

Also, I’m in my last year of high school now so I better be serious.

 

My name is Kim Taehyung, currently enrolled in one of the biggest school around Seoul for it consists of middle school. High school and college levels only separated buildings to buildings. The college department is of course bigger because of the offered courses, so that’s understandable.

 

“Tae!”

 

I slowed down and let my best friend who was the one that calls out my name behind me. “Good morning, Chim.”

 

His name is Park Jimin. We met each other in middle school and become best friends till then. Up until now, we couldn’t believe the consistency of us being classmates.

 

“The first years will be having their freshmen walk around campus today. Shouldn’t you be there already? Mr. President?” he snickers and I snorted.

 

“Shut up. Besides, I wasn’t told to come early. Hoseok-hyung will be the one to tour them around the school.”

 

“Oh yeah, I forgot.” I heard him giggle.

 

On our way, other students that are coming to our school greeted us. It’s not very rare for them to see us riding my bike in the morning. The President and the Vice President is always running late and that’s a common occurrence.

 

I parked my bike to where I usually leave it and run after Jimin who greeted the others.

 

“President, good morning.” They all greeted and I of course, shyly clear my throat and just nods.

 

This is so not me.

 

I’m not used to it, really.

 

“We’ll be in our rooms then I’ll see you guys after school for our first meeting this school year.” I instructed before going on with my walk with Jimin to our room.

 

We can see the freshmen lining up in their respective lines and we waved at Hoseok who was holding out our school flag.

 

“Hoseok-hyung, fighting!”

 

“FIGHTING!”

 

They all laugh before the two of us, Jimin and I, carry on with our walk.

 

“Oh hey, Tae. Have you heard about that freshman that gets perfect score in our entrance exam?” Jimin inquires, looking at his phone probably already logged in in their school’s portal. “It’s been two years since it was last perfected and it was by you. No one perfected the exam after you until this someone. You followed Namjoon-hyung a year after and after you, no one follows.”

 

“I haven’t heard about it.” I said, taking the stairs. “What’s his name?”

 

“Jeon Jungkook.”

 

A sudden thump inside my chest and I stopped walking, causing Jimin to bump into my back and his phone slips away from his hands.

 

“Aw, dude don’t stop so suddenly.”

 

“Sorry… I just thought I heard that name before. Did they post a picture?”

 

“No. They just said that he’s from Busan.” A thump inside his chest again. “And that he just moved back from there to here because of his mom’s work.”

 

Jimin is suddenly reminded of a story Taehyung used to tell him. His eyes widened and met his best friend’s wide eyes too.

 

“Is he the same person you knew? Who was it again? Kookie?”

 

“I… I’m not sure. I’m young back then and I didn’t care to ask about his full name and their family name and –“

 

“Aren’t you guys walking too slowly for seniors?”

 

“Oh! Namjoon-hyung!”

 

The former president of their student council let out a dimpled smile. “Hey guys. I’m about to pick up some of my things back in the Student Council office before I left for my morning lectures. I didn’t know I’d be bumping with you guys here.”

 

It was always a pleasure to bump with your friends so early in the morning especially on this busy day and I who values their friends so much, appreciates those rare chances. Knowing that half of our group of friends are now enrolled in college including Jiminie’s boyfriend, a music genius, Min Yoongi-hyung, we both expected to see them rarely now than often.

 

“Aren’t you with Yoongi-hyung, hyung?” Jimin shyly asked and I snickers to that because only Park Jimin remained a blushing mess by the mention of his boyfriend’s name even after dating for two years now. “Shut it, Taehyung.” He said and elbowed me on my side that I have to whine through the pain.

 

Namjoon always find it funny when Jimin and I bicker like kids, he’s used to it by now. Actually, all of them are. We are after all the maknaes in our group. But in reality, I’m the youngest of them all. Jimin is older than me for a few months.

 

“Yoongi-hyung’s classes don’t start till the afternoon but he is inside one of the studios our school owned. He said he’ll be meeting someone today and record a few songs he’s working on for the Preliminary Project.”

 

“He found someone that could sing with Jin-hyung?” I inquire, slightly aware of what the two are talking about.

 

“Ah, yeah. He’s really  talented, according to him. The kid can dance and sing and good at sport too. Can actually do more than that, but we never know until he comes right?” Namjoon shrugs and the two of us just nods because that’s true. No one, in the category of too good to be true, is to be believed at just by hearing rumors about them. “Anyway, if you guys want to know you can go and ask Yoongi-hyung more about it. I believe Hoseok knew him too, because according to him as well, that kid is popular back in Busan.”

 

“Is Busan a keyword for today or something? I’ve been hearing it since this morning.” I said with a giggle before I bid Namjoon-hyung goodbye.

 

“I wonder what’s so special with that kid Yoongi-hyung is working with right now…” I eyed my best friend as I opens the door of our classroom, immediately greeted by our classmates as they go in. “He said he’s working with that kid from Busan, it was someone he knows and he wouldn’t want anyone to sing the song he wrote other than Jin-hyung and that someone from Busan.”

 

“Well, he’s probably someone he knows for so long for him to put his trust on him that much, Chim. We know how perfectionist Yoongi-hyung is.” I clarified, I don’t want the sound coming from Jimin because it’s obviously jealousy and I always hated that feeling.

 

“I know… I just want to know who he is that made Yoongi wants him that much when I’m here and can probably sing that song he wrote… he doesn’t even have to wait.”

 

“Chim, calm down. You are losing focus here. Yoongi-hyung won’t even try cheating on you because he loves you so much. Need I remind you how he confesses his love for you?”

 

“Ugh, don’t even think about –“

 

“How he puts on a song inside our broadcasting room and play the song he wrote for you and –“

 

“Tae shut the up before I make you.”

 

I raised my hands in defeat and smiles playfully at him. “I just want you to stop getting jealous over someone you haven’t met yet.”

 

The noise from below coming from their school ground caught my and Jimin’s attention that we stopped talking. It was Hoseok-hyung being followed by the freshmen.

 

“This here is the shoe lockers…”

 

Both Jimin and I hear Hoseok-hyung talking with that so called loud voice of him. “I knew he’s the right man for the job.” Jimin claims beside me as he moves closer to the windows so he could get better access of what’s happening down there. “No wonder the school director asked him this favor, he knows how to charm the kids.”

 

“I know.” We are afterall, experienced the welcoming charms of Hoseok-hyung when we’re just freshmen.

 

Hoseok and Namjoon are once part of the Supreme Student Government of our High School. They were consistent with their positions and both have it since they’re merely freshmen. Namjoon started off as the first year representative back in his days and Hoseok were voted as one of their school’s external officers. When the two became sophomores, Yoongi claims the seat as the president after Jin, Namjoon-hyung’s boyfriend and also the son of the school’s director and owner. It was also Yoongi that points at Namjoon as his Vice President and Hoseok as the school body representative.

 

That’s when Jimin and I became first year and I became the first year representative by default because of my perfect scores for the entrance exams. Jimin joined the SSG when he was appointed as the secretary.

 

Yoongi-hyung left for college and passed the seat for presidency to Namjoon-hyung, making Hoseok-hyung his vice president and Jimin as the secretary. I moved out from my position because I was told to be the President automatically once I became a senior myself so just before that happens, I want to be free.

 

And now I’m here.

 

It’s not something I don’t enjoy of doing because I honestly do enjoy the leadership and responsibility. I kind of have it coming anyway, I was just dodging it for I’m not ready for it yet.

 

“Hey, Yoongi-hyung texted me… he says the first year representative will be the one to sing the song for him.”

 

I didn’t quite heard Jimin uttering those words beside me. Apparently he’s that worried to even ask his boyfriend so early.

 

“He said he’s his friend from Busan. Four years younger than him… he just sent me a picture, Taehyung.”

 

But I didn’t turn around and look at him because someone just caught my eye.

 

I know Bambam and Yugyeom. They’re like brothers to me because they’re associated with Jimin and Hoseok-hyung in their dance club. But that someone behind Yugyeom and Bambam is someone I… I feel like I know that someone.

 

“He said he’s expecting for the kid to join dance or any of the sports club but was told that he’s joining the art club.” Jimin continues beside me because he doesn’t seem to notice how I become tensed all of the sudden. “Oh… it’s the same person that perfected the entrance exam. A guy named Jeon Jungkook… look Tae –“

 

Jimin paused, finally noticing where I’m looking at.

 

“Oh, that’s him.”

 

The kid, Jeon Jungkook, as if he felt it in him that he’s being stared at looked up and met my gaze. His smile falters but didn’t left his lips. Our gazes locked up and – it’s as if everything goes in slow motion.

 

“Kookie…”

 

I don’t know why I uttered that name but when Jeon Jungkook’s smile gets wider, I suddenly got the confirmation I unconsciously wants to have since the morning I heard his name.

 

“Hi.” He mouthed.

 

And that was as all that he said before he look away.

 

And , did I just – did I just had something I lost once back to me?

 

Did that really just happened?!

 

“Tae?”

 

I turned to Jimin who was confusedly looking at me as he’s still handing me his phone and there I saw the picture of Jeon Jungkook.

 

All smiles, eyes wrinkly as he does. And oh… is that the distant bracelet paired to my own?

 

“He visited Yoongi’s studio this morning and they took this photo and –“

 

“It’s Kookie… he’s Kookie…”

 

“What?”

 

Poor Jimin for not understanding me but – “This Jeon Jungkook is Kookie, Jimin. He’s my Kookie.”

 

--

 

JUNGKOOK’S POV

 

As my mom dropped me in front of the school I’ll be attending from now on, I bid her goodbye and turn away quite excitedly. I don’t even know why I’m this excited but maybe after knowing who’s going to be here excites me.

 

My friends are enrolled here. Yugyeom, my bestfriend is enrolled here and my other best friend, Bambam. I’m excited to meet the two of them after being parted for who knows how long. What I remembered though is that, after I left with my family back to Busan, I have known those two in kindergarten.

 

Yoongi-hyung is also here. He’s the closest friend I have aside from Bambam and Yugyeom. My favorite hyung, like how I always call him of when he’s not anywhere beside me. I met him in Daegu, when I and my family visited some family friends there. Yoongi-hyung teaches me how to play the piano. I learned a few things from him like, song writing and beat writing. I used to call him through our landline phone up until I graduated Elementary school but soon started messaging him using my phone I received as a gift from Mom once I start attending middle school.

 

Jin-hyung is also here. He’s my cousin, by the way. He’s really nice and takes care of me a lot when I was younger. He’s five years older than me so that explains that. He used to visit me before in Busan just to check on me and to teach me some of his recipes.

 

And last but the one I most anticipated of meeting, Taehyung.

 

He’s going to be here.

 

Jin-hyung surprised me with his name before and I confirmed it to him whether we are speaking of the same Taehyung I know when I was five. I was as surprised when we really are talking about the same person.

 

I don’t hold too many memories with him inside me but those memories with him don’t fade away in my head, like a tattoo.

 

When Jin-hyung mentioned his name, my hands started shaking. He gives me all the heads up I need about Taehyung. Updates like how he is and what he’s currently doing as we speak.

 

They’re friends and Yoongi-hyung says he’s his boyfriend’s best friend.

 

Yoongi-hyung were as surprised knowing the Taehyung I claimed to be my first love is the Taehyung his boyfriend has for a best friend.

 

It was pretty all over the place but yeah, that’s how it is.

 

All eyes were on me as soon as I stepped inside the campus. Jin-hyung gets me ready for this situation because this school apparently looks up to those who perfected their entrance exam. I admit it was really hard and Math gives me a hard time but it’s not something I can’t manage so yeah. After all, I made it to myself to be number one so I could be the first year representative by default and join Taehyung in the student council.

 

I look around until I met the guy with a huge sunshine-like smile named Hoseok-hyung as he would like to be called for.

 

“Um, hi.” I greeted, already taking out my phone to view my conversation thread with Yoongi-hyung. “I’m looking for the Studio Building A-College Department…”

 

“Aren’t you a freshman though?”

 

“I – ah, yes I am. I just have someone to meet in the place I mentioned before I join you guys here.”

 

He smiles blindingly at me, almost reminding me of the ones Taehyung used of giving me. “Oh, okay then. It really is quite early for you to come here. You still have 1 hour and fifteen minutes to kill before school officially starts but that isn’t the case in the college department. 7AM classes are already halfway starting over there.” I didn’t really need to know that but I let him talk. “Okay so listen, you see that bridge in the third floor?” I nodded as I look up to where he’s pointing at. “Take that path and you’ll be going straight to the College of Music. The Studio Building A is right beside it.”

 

“Oh, okay. Thank you –“

 

“Are you Jeon Jungkook?”

 

I paused before smiling at him. “I am.”

 

“Oh, I knew it. You must be the one Yoongi-hyung mentioned to me. The freshman that gets a perfect score in the entrance exam and the one who will be singing for his preliminary project… but I heard about you before though. Aren’t you part of that dance crew that’s popular in Busan?”

 

Oh, he knows so much about me. But still, I smiled at him kindly. “Yes, I used to be a part of it. Not anymore though. Because I got to move back here in Seoul and it’s not something I really enjoy of doing… though I admit it’s one of my favorite past times.”

 

“That’s too bad then… I thought it’ll be nice to have you join in the High School Dance crew.” His smile is no longer there when I look up to him, making me want to apologize and say I’ll think about it but as soon as I open my mouth he gives me a smile again and pats my shoulder. “Well, if you ever change your mind, look for Park Jimin, okay? He’s the captain of the High School Department dance crew. You’ll know him soon because he’s the SSG’s Vice President.”

 

“Yoongi-hyung’s boyfriend then?” I asked and he nods. “I didn’t know that much about him from Yoongi-hyung but, okay. I’ll keep what you just said in my mind.”

 

Once I left, I go straight to where he told me to go so I could meet Yoongi-hyung.

 

The college buildings are understandably bigger and I know by the looks of it that I’d be lost wandering around but thankfully it didn’t happen for Yoongi-hyung came out of the room I believed he was into to call me.

 

I hurriedly go to where he is and he smiles as soon as he saw me running. “Don’t run in the hallways, kid.”

 

But still, he opens up his arms widely to welcome me in it. “Hyung, I missed you!”

 

“Yeah yeah, I know you do. I missed you too. How have you been? You’re taller than me now.” He motions to compare our heights and I laughed at that.

 

“Of course I am. I’m fifteen now after all.” I said and follow him inside the room he came out to. “So, how are you hyung?”

 

“Been well, kid. Been well. Right now I’m stuck in this part of my song because as I’ve already told you, I have no one to sing it for me that could go perfectly with Jin-hyung’s voice.”

 

“You really want me to do it? I think your boyfriend will want it to be him –“

 

“I tried to let him sing the song for me but it’s not the one I’m looking for so yeah…” he plays the song and soon the room is being lulled by Jin-hyung’s voice. “I want someone that will compliment Jin-hyung’s voice and I don’t think Jimin is the right choice.”

 

“And you think I am the right choice?”

 

“Well yeah, I know how beautiful your voice is, Kook.”

 

“Naaah, I’m not that good but okay. Maybe I’ll try this one. I like the sound of it.”

 

“Thanks, Kook. I owe you. How about we eat after your classes today? I can let you meet my boyfriend and I can almost see how he’d ask his best friend to come with us.”

 

“His best friend…”

 

“Yeah, your first love. Taehyung.”

 

I blushed at that because yeah, even now I hold on to my feelings for Taehyung. It’s something I developed myself over the years. I just can’t seem to find someone that would be more than Taehyung.

 

It was a random encounter, a chance that we both let slipped through our holds but now I’m back.

 

I can probably meet him again.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Okay to what? Okay to meet my boyfriend and Taehyung or okay with eating outside after your classes?”

 

“Okay with both.”

 

Actually, I’m not letting myself hope too much because I’m not expecting Taehyung to remember me. Not when I’ve grown so much over the years.

 

What I’m actually hoping to happen that day is for me to see him again together with that smile of his.

 

“Aaaah…” I whined as I held out my hands up high to grasp on nothing. “Let me hold you again, Taetae…”

 

--

 

TAEHYUNG’S POV

 

Meeting him back when I was seven is fate. Losing him is destiny, but meeting him again after so much longing is a combination of both.

 

I thought nothing could make me want for the day to end so I could start the meeting with the student council soon. And then Jeon Jungkook happens.

 

“You’re not coming in?”

 

“I… Chim, what if I’m wrong? What if they’re not the same person? I’m –“

 

“Well, there’s only one way to find that out right? Get inside!”

 

I nearly fall on my knees when Jimin abruptly shove me inside and it got everyone to worry over me but I’m busy looking around to meet someone’s gaze but he’s not there.

 

“Uh, hello everyone… I’m – I’m Kim Taehyung. I may not look like it but I’m this year’s SSG President…” I start. “So um, did you check who’s not here yet?”

 

Jimin looks around and take the attendance sheet from the secretary to check. “First year representatives aren’t here yet.”

 

“W-Who?”

 

“Jeon Jungkook and Park Jimin – I have someone with the same name as mine?” Jimin asked surprised and it got me looking at him too. “Woah, really? Is it a girl Park Jimin?”

 

“Probably. Jeon Jungkook is a guy.” Their secretary inquires. “He’s a very handsome guy.”

 

“Not to mention, he’s been getting a lot of attention since he came this morning. I heard even the college students were all eyes on him.”

 

“He were seen with Min-sunbaenim this morning so what are we expecting?”

 

“He was seen with whom, now?” Jimin asked, snatching the phone from the second year representatives and there he seen pictures uploaded in our digital paper portal of Jungkook and Yoongi exiting the studio the older usually occupies. “Are rumors going around about these two?”

 

“Uh no, Yoongi-sunbae did say that he’s his friend and his dongsaeng. And that Jungkook says he’s more of a student than any of what Yoongi-sunbae claims him to be.”

 

“A student?” I asked this time, slightly tearing my gaze away from the phone Jimin is holding. “He’s a student of Yoongi-hyung?”

 

“He apparently learned how to play the piano through him and –“

 

“Sorry we’re late! We got lost trying to find the SSG Office and – oh.”

 

Park Jimin paused and looks around only to see the members of the SSG are all focused on one phone. “I guess we’re not in trouble yet?”

 

“No, please come in.” Jimin, my best friend Jimin, pointed to the seats meant for them. “Where is Jeon Jungkook? I believe you’re Park Jimin?”

 

“Ah yes, sunbae. I – Jeon Jungkook will be – hey! Here!”

 

“You run so fast, Jiminie.”

 

Both Jimin and I stood frozen by the mention of that name. Jiminie is a nickname Yoongi gave Jimin and that voice held me frozen just because.

 

“Sorry we’re late, sunbaenims… We promised it’s a onetime thing. We got lost trying to find our way here.” Jungkook immediately looks at me and smiles. “I hope we’re not in trouble…”

 

“You are not, don’t worry.” Jimin was the one to talk to him and he actually needed to push my shoulder down so I could sit and so we could start. “Tae?”

 

That’s when I break my gaze out of Jungkook to turn at Jimin. He held my hands that are shaking and with that I calmed down a bit.

 

I look around again and my gaze ended at Jungkook. “Welcome…” I stopped and smile at him, “to the Supreme Student Government. My name is Kim Taehyung from 3rd year advance class. I’d like to start this meeting with us introducing ourselves to know each other better starting with you,” I nod at him and he immediately stood up. “The popular first year.”

 

“Ah, yeah. I’m Jeon Jungkook. From the first year advance class… I just moved back from Busan… please take care of me.”

 

And that felt so nostalgic for me, I smiled.