final.

Blackjack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Bae Joohyun straightened her black blazer as she entered the elevator. With a quick movement, she combed her black, wavy hair with a hand and pushed the 'UG 2' button with her free one.

She was at the eleventh floor from her own luxurious suite, on her way to the American-styled casino complex at the underground of the resort. She decided to gamble for the night since she had the time (and money) to spend.

Although the emptiness of the wide elevator and the calmness of the soft music playing inside was making her yawn every now and then, her internal happiness made her look forward to feeling the gambling chips again.

She made a wise move, which was to buy a fair percentage of stock from a company that she thought was profitable. And in just a month, the money she invested in them doubled. 

With luck by her side, she holds on to the hope that maybe she could triple her fortune.

Although the happiness within her cannot be contained, she still didn't show any external proof that she was feeling that way. 

Her face had always been a bluff; whether she was happy, sad, or annoyed — she kept the same cool and collected expression which makes everyone believe that everything is going well for her.

Ever since she was young, her father had already taught her how gambling works (although she was still not allowed to join games at her young age back then). He told her that sometimes, the expression of one player could lead to their misfortune.

Masking the basic expressions — such as happiness, shock, and frustration — into a neutral one may mislead the opponent. That was what she recalled from her childhood.

But as she grew older, the more she was exposed to the true meaning of this technique.

First one was that being able to keep calm and not rejoice over your playing hand keeps you from releasing so much dopamine (the happy hormone). When you get too excited over something (winning, in this case), might lead you to making irrational and impractical movements.

You might think you could make the best hand, and be led to thinking you should bet with all your money so that you win five times as big as it is. But the table might suddenly turn and someone might have a straight flush, and you'd go home empty handed.

Second and last thing that Joohyun realised about the tactic was a bit of the opposite of the first one. If you make the other players believe through your expression that you might not have the winning hand, the higher bet they would make.

Of course, if they think that you aren't too proud about the cards you have, they'll take the chance and raise the bet right away so that the rest would follow and make the earnings by the end bigger.

With that, you might just could beat his flush with your straight flush and take home all the money.

Anyway, you could always fold if you are unsure about the drawn cards.

And that whole technique for poker pretty much speaks for how she deals with the real world, too.

 

As the elevator finally descended to the underground, Joohyun was met with the fragrance of the rich.

Millionaires and billionaires don't smell as strong as people believed. They don't boast all the scent in the world, they don't make you smell their fragrance from thirty feet afar, nor do they smell like liquefied gold. Rather, they wear their perfume as subtly and as intriguingly sophisticated as possible. 

Usually, they know how to match the scent they use with the style and vibe they equip. And today, it seems like everyone in the underground casino chose to have a Tom Ford kind of day.

Joohyun personally believed that if your scent matches your appearance, you're already considered as someone attractive (because she loves scents, and the fact that the abstract beauty of what you smell like is physically interpreted with a visual aid such as your style, makes it a bonus).

With that, she unconsciously sniffed her own wrist and recalled the sultry vanilla scented perfume she had applied about four hours ago. 

She decided maybe she could get someone's attention for the night too, just for company... or someone to buy her more poker chips.

The place had always been silent (except for the slots' childish music, reels of the machine, and sounds of coins clashing together, and the roulette's wheel, and its ball dropping. Those ones were the real focus-breakers). 

Every now and then, you would hear someone say 'Call', 'Raise', or 'Fold' from the Texas Hold'em Poker players. You'd hear silent chattering over at the Baccarat area when they're betting either on the banker or the player. 

The sweet sound of the chips being stacked and added to someone's pile is truly a soothing sound to her. She could listen to it all day nonstop, and would still be addicted to it the next day.

As someone who spent her teenage years gambling with a portion of her own money and her parents' fortune, the sound technically means you just doubled, tripled, and basically just made your money grow bigger. 

Joohyun eyes the players she's passing by. From her own experience of winning and from her basic knowledge about facial cues, she could easily predict who has the winning hand, and who got unlucky with betting. 

She looks around some more; fine men in their fine suits gathered in their chosen table, exchanging their cash for a heap of poker chips. Some women with long hair and bombshell make-up chatted among themselves in the smoking area as they put their menthol cigarettes between their lips every now and then (Joohyun guessed it was menthol, because that's what it smelled like when she passed them by).

She walked around and tried to immerse in the atmosphere. 

She checked out which set of poker players would be fun to join in, or which ones she should avoid because from what she recalls, some of the guys here can be really pushy in trying to get your number.

The roulette also caught her attention. One of the dealers she usually sees around is on duty and was taking over one of the roulette tables. She decided that she'll play a bit there later.

 

She walked along the long line of the slot machines. Said machines were positioned near the other elevators on the opposite side that Joohyun rode, probably to entice the newcomers with their welcoming and uplifting tunes.

It made Joohyun smirk a little. 

As she watched the reels turn in alternate directions simultaneously, she's reminded of how her father told her never to spend too much money on the stupid slots. Since her father was a successful psychologist working in exclusive rehabilitation centers, he had dealt with people who got themselves addicted to gambling.

Apparently, the slots are the slyest machines in casinos and literally just the most unfair game to be at. 

It's easy to spot who's a veteran casino visitor/player. They're the ones that don't stay too long on the slot machines. Trying once or twice every time you come is nice, but spending a good amount of money on it basically screams 'I'm new to a casino!' to Joohyun.

Right now, one person was so concentrated on watching the reels stop one by one. It was as if she was wishing that the reels stop in her favour. And to her disappointment, she didn't make any combination.

The girl was wearing a dark grey sweatshirt. One of the sleeves was rolled until her elbow, while the other one was rolled about two inches from her wrist. The leggings the girl was wearing showcased her long and slender legs. Her bare ankle complemented her black rubber shoes. 

Her hair was a pleasing shade of dark brown that suited her. It was shoulder length and straight. 

Upon closer inspection (Joohyun didn't want to seem like a creep, so she occupied the machine beside the girl and inserted a $100 bill in the machine), she noticed that the girl was wearing a big-framed glasses. Said eyewear didn't have adjusted lenses, because by then if Joohyun looked through it, the view should be a bit trippy, right?

The five reels in front of Joohyun didn't get aligned for the jackpot (as she had expected), but she did win back $20 for getting the four-of-a-kind combination.

As that was happening, she heard groans of frustration from the girl beside her.

And it was a known voice.

"Kang Seulgi?" Joohyun asks, inserting another $100 bill into the machine she chose.

The girl beside her seemed to flinch at the sound of her name, but continued to pull out another bill anyway.

"Um... hi." She shyly and nervously greeted. "Slots sure are frustrating, right?"

Joohyun nodded, taking the $40 she won for making two four-of-a-kinds on different rows. "Yeah, it's not really an advisable game to play in the casino."

The two remained silent and went back to focusing on their own slot machine. Joohyun heard her machine say 'Big Win!' as she made four combinations diagonally. It made her win $590, an amount bigger than what she had spent so far for two games.

"I'm a fan, by the way." Joohyun says, although Seulgi was taken aback with her unwavering tone. 

It was the same professional and calm tone Joohyun used when she clarified for herself that it indeed was Kang Seulgi playing with the slot machine.

Seulgi was getting all flustered. Joohyun could tell that, with the way she suddenly cowered a bit to make it look like she shrunk with her shoulders inclining forward. She was also swaying side to side by now.

"You must be kidding..! It doesn't look like you're a fan." Seulgi said as she collected $40 from her machine and inserted another bill right away. "I mean... fans don't sound like that when they see someone they idolise."

Joohyun laughed. She stopped playing and decided to lean an elbow on the machine she was using and watched Seulgi's reels spin to a stop.

Seulgi won three free spins.

"You see, I'm not a teenager anymore and I'm too tired to squeal." She explains, and that's when Seulgi decided to look back finally at her. The reels continue to spin, making use of the first free spin. "Besides, let's say I did exclaim when I saw you, would you really want to deal with the people who would flock around you if they knew a celebrity was here?"

Joohyun knew better that the gamblers here wouldn't care either if a celebrity was here. Maybe they'd check to see for themselves, but it won't affect them that much since they're all from big companies and have their own brands anyway. It's not that rare as well to see a celebrity spend some time here, but usually they'd go over to the VIP area where it's more quiet and exclusive.

Judging Seulgi's concerned and enlightened expression now though, Joohyun guessed that it was Seulgi's first time in a casino (and she probably went to the slot machines first thing because it most likely reminded her of arcades).

It made a corner of Joohyun's mouth curve up to a smirk. 

She searched for a pen in an inside pocket from her blazer, and successfully brought out one along with a piece of paper.

She handed it over to Seulgi. "Autograph, please?"

The other woman could only chuckle a bit. "Signed for you?" 

"Yeah, address it to Joohyun." Says the 'fan'. "Then I'll frame it and hang it on my wall."

Seulgi continued laughing softly as she used her free palm as a surface to hold the paper up as she wrote a short dedication and signed it. After which, she folded the paper two times before handing it to Joohyun.

"I'll give this signed paper to you later," Seulgi playfully declares, as she returned Joohyun's pen. "If it's alright... could you accompany me for a while if you're not busy? I'm new here."

Joohyun nodded, both to Seulgi's request and to herself. She was right that it was Seulgi's first time here in the wide casino.

"Sure." Joohyun says, as she let Seulgi hop off her seat in front of the slot machine she used. "I kind of predicted you were new here."

The idol collected her winnings from the free spins, and the two decided to walk around a bit

"How could you tell?" Seulgi asked, curiosity obvious from her voice.

They made their way out away from the slot machines. Joohyun first spotted the roulette tables. She decided to make a brief explanation on why she thought Seulgi was having her first time in the casino, before they head towards a new casino game.

"Well, according to basic psychology, our minds usually get enticed and excited on something we haven't tried out before. In your case, this casino. The first thing that grabbed your attention, however, were the slot machines."

Seulgi nodded as she listened intently. Joohyun glances up to her every now and then to check if she was still listening, and to her delight, the taller girl really did.

Joohyun then took it as a cue to continue. "It's understandable because the slot machine's music's purpose was to attract the attention of people. It was given such music because it's the most unfair machine in every casino."

The two already reached a roulette table. The nearest one from the slot machine area had three gamblers betting on their desired numbers, putting token chips on top of each number tile. 

The older girl made a friendly eye contact with the dealer. It was the one she spotted earlier, the one she was close with.

Seulgi and Joohyun stopped just in front of the roulette table. Joohyun watched the players make their bets, while Seulgi was looking at Joohyun, as if asking her to continue her explanation.

"The chances of winning jackpot in a slot machine is one out of about thirty thousand tries. Although you're winning something from the hundred dollar bills you put in, you mostly win an amount lesser than you inserted every try, and the machine retains the bigger percentage of the amount you put in."

All of a sudden, the dealer says "No more bets!" as the ball starts to descend down the wheel. The roulette's pace slows down, and the ball continues to spin around the ball track. 

Once it landed on a number, the men who made their bets groaned.

The dealer keeps up with her bright smile. She grabbed something that looked like a chess piece and put it on top of the red tile with '27' on it from the table. "Twenty-seven, red, even. No bets win!"

She raked the poker chips towards her and organised them. One of the men walked away, and the dealer continued with her work. "Please, place your bets!"

Joohyun continued to explain. "Whenever someone plays the slot machine, the amount that can be won for the jackpot increases all thanks to that big percent from your money that you inserted. In the long run though, you lose more money."

The taller girl beside her nodded again, still looking at her. "So what's that to do with psychology? And why the music has something to do with it being unfair?"

"Picture yourself playing that unfair machine and losing a big percentage of money without the uplifting and jolly midi. Would you still risk your money despite knowing in the first try that the player cash back is only around forty percent?" Joohyun smugly grins to herself. 

She had never thought she would be explaining the clownery of casinos to someone she had only met. Not to mention, someone who is a first-timer here. What if she won't come back the more she exposes the rigged logic of casinos?

"Anyway the music affects our way of thinking. It's in a happy tone, so that even if we lose, or even before we play it, our minds get stimulated in thinking that we've already won even though hitting the jackpot is almost impossible in one seating. It's like losses disguised as a win."

Seulgi mouths an 'Oh' of realisation. 

"I knew you were a first-timer because you were so into the possibility of winning. I'm sorry to crush you dreams." Joohyun chuckles, and finally looks up at Seulgi again.

The taller girl seems to be amazed at how much facts she knew. 

On the other hand, the dealer announces again. "Twenty, black, even. No bets win!"

The two gamblers left, leaving Seulgi and Joohyun staring at the table. 

Beside the roulette wheel was a screen showing the statistics of the probabilities. Tonight, based on the previous rounds, there was 48% chance of the ball landing on a black, 48% on a red, 41% on an even number, 46% on an odd, 51% on the big bets, 45% on the small bets, and 3% of it landing on the zero.

"Well, since we're here already, do you want to try the roulette?" Joohyun asks, as she takes a seat. "This is fun, and this is a hundred percent luck based."

The dealer turns to Seulgi. Her smile never faltered; it was as if she trained every day and every night to keep smiling brightly. "Good evening, I am Park Sooyoung, and I am the dealer for this roulette table tonight!" 

Joohyun chuckles to herself and shakes her head in disbelief. "How come I get a different treatment whenever you greet me?" 

"Because it's you, Joohyun." Sooyoung the dealer says, flipping her brown, straight hair over her shoulder. "How come you bring a new girl here every time you go to me? Are you purposely making me jealous?"

This time, Seulgi looked confused (and a bit offended) from hearing the banter. Sooyoung, on the other hand, was laughing hard while smacking Joohyun's arm lightly. Joohyun was already in a punching stance, as if threatening to beat Sooyoung up, despite laughing along.

"Don't believe this liar, she's just playing." Joohyun tells Seulgi once she finally stopped laughing. "Teasing veteran gamblers is one of her own games, since she really can't play anything in the casino while she's on duty. Since you already know her full name, you can report her for unprofessionalism over that des—"

"That's right, I'm just playing." Sooyoung cut her off, still equipped with a stupid, giggly grin graced on her face. "Anyway, Miss Newcomer, if you come visit the casino again and see me, I'd gladly take a break for a while and get you a drink." She ended that with a wink.

Joohyun straightened herself on her seat and leaned over to her side to pull out the seat beside her, inviting Seulgi to try the roulette.

"She's Seulgi from idol group Girls Next Door, you uncultured person. She'll rarely visit the casino because of her busy schedule, so you'll have to deal with me instead."

Seulgi shyly sat down beside Joohyun. "H-Hello, yes I'm Seulgi." She bowed politely, like how an idol does out of routine.

"No wonder she's so beautiful and bright unlike Ms. Joohyun here who looked like she hasn't slept in ten years. And by that, I'm referring to the dark circles under her eyes, and her height."

This time, Joohyun just rolled her eyes and went back to her professional façade.

"Anyway, Seulgi." Joohyun takes out some cash and hands it to Sooyoung to convert it to gambling casino chips. Sooyoung stacked them up nicely before pushing it towards Joohyun. "This is the roulette table. It's completely luck-based."

Seulgi involuntarily raised an eyebrow at how Joohyun stressed on 'completely'. "How much do I pay..?" Seulgi innocently asks.

"Oh, dear. My heart melts at the sight of beginners." Sooyoung fakes herself tearing up. "In roulette, you don't have to pay before the game, Joohyun simply converted some of her money to casino chips so that she could play using it around the casino. It's like, gambling money. From what I heard from Joohyun, there's a philosophy behind that."

Joohyun raises an index finger as if to interrupt. "It's not a philosophy. Rather, a psychological explanation." Joohyun glances over to her audience (the two ladies before her), and was amused to see that they were listening. "We use gambling chips instead of actual money, like how we use tokens in arcades, correct?"

Two heads nod.

"You see, if you use real money when you want to bet high, you might have second thoughts of withdrawing from the game because you have a visual aid to look at when it's all over and the earnings are going to the winner. You become aware of how much you're actually losing. Using the chips make it seem like you're just holding toys, and you won't be too much conscious of the money you are actually spending and losing."

The two ladies lightly clapped in awe.

"See, our Joohyun here knows a lot of weird things." Sooyoung says. "She's a psychologist, and also a stock person, whatever it was." 

Joohyun nodded. "I work in a rehabilitation center, and to gain more money, I buy stocks from companies." After telling that to Seulgi, she gave Sooyoung a playful glare. "Why do you keep exposing my life to other people? I want to keep my mysterious aura."

"Oh, please," Sooyoung guffaws. "Once you get to know Joohyun, she really isn't that serious. She only has a very stoic face, so don't be scared of her."

Seulgi laughed brightly once again, with her crescent eyes. "I'll take a mental note of that, then." She hands Sooyoung some cash and the latter gave her a stacks of chips with the same amount corresponding to how much she gave.

"Anyway, playing the roulette is pretty easy. The easiest for me, if I might add." Joohyun says. "You put some chips over the numbers you want to bet on. If you bet on the number where the ball landed on the wheel, you get back the money you put there, and $35 per minimum bet you place because the pay out on this table is..." She trailed an index finger around the surface of the table to look for the rate. "Here, it says here that it's 35 per minimum bet."

Seulgi nods. "What happens if I betted on other numbers but still won? Will I get the same for the other numbers?"

"Nope. Sooyoung here will rake away the chips you placed over the other numbers and give back the stack on the winning number to you, along with the prize." Joohyun explains. 

Sooyoung approves with a thumbs up. "Minimum amount for a bet is $25. So let's say you put $25 on a number and won, you get your $25 back and have a prize of $35. If for instance you put $100 and won, you get your $100 back and receive a prize of $140 because that's four minimum bets, which gives you four times the pay out prize."

The beginner looked at Joohyun. 

"What should I bet on..?" She asked nervously; timidly, as if making sure she would spend her money wisely.

"Like what I said, this game is luck-based. You can bet on any number you feel like." Joohyun says. She then gives Seulgi a reassuring smile. "But you know, my birth date is kinda lucky. Why don't you bet on it?"

"What's your birth date?" Seulgi asks. Then a realisation dawns upon her. "What about you, though? What would you bet on if I'd bet on your birth date?"

"I'd bet on the same number, but if I do, this table would run out of money." Joohyun boasts. Sooyoung rolled her eyes teasingly. "Go ahead and try betting on twenty-nine. Put all your chips there, you might just get the beginner's luck."

The taller girl was taken aback from the suggestion. "Do you want me to go bankrupt? I won't put all of these right away!"

But Joohyun still insisted. "Come on, put your trust and luck on my birth date. If you lose all your money, I'll make you live in my suite."

Sooyoung whistled a descending set of notes, as if to cue that Joohyun was (1) being too much, and (2) she should get a room because Sooyoung wanted to see nothing from that.

"Hmm... I'll bet $500 first." Seulgi says. "I mean, it's not that bad, right? I actually might win and get lots of money. Just that I'm not good with the maths so I don't know exactly how much the prize would be."

"The touchscreen in front of you is for that purpose, Miss Seulgi." Sooyoung says. "From there, you could see the roulette table. You input a desired amount before clicking per number you would bet on. Along with that, you put a stack of chips here on the table on top of the tile of your desired number." 

Seulgi typed in '500' before tapping on the '29' button. She stacked five black casino chips (a black casino chip is equivalent to $100) and placed it on top of the '29' tile.

"There. See, I also have a screen in front of me." Sooyoung says, gesturing in front of her. Hers was a bit bigger and wider. "It helps me keep track of where the players betted on. It also helps me know how much the player betted on each tile, in case someone else betted on twenty-nine as well. It also helps me calculate how much I give you if you win."

The beginner seems to look as if she was so determined to win now with the amount of information going through her head. Seeing that, Joohyun thought to herself if Seulgi would even ever visit this place again. She doubts this was the place she really intended to go.

Thoughts like, 'Would Seulgi even retain these information for life, or is she remembering these just for tonight?', 'Will I ever get to gamble with her again?', and 'Oh wow, I haven't eaten dinner yet' crossed her mind.

"Aren't you gonna play?" Seulgi asks Joohyun, making the latter's thoughts disappear as she was taken back to reality.

Joohyun's stoic facial expression masked the sudden panic she had. "I'll just watch you win." She says with full confidence.

Seulgi side-eyed Joohyun. "You... If I lose, you won't only give me shelter, but also feed me and cloth me until I get rich again. The management I'm in shouldn't know I gambled..."

That made Joohyun laugh. 'Oh, Seulgi, it would be an honor.' That was what Joohyun wanted to say, but she knew all too well that it sounded creepy and rather stalker-ish. She kept the thought to herself and said a simple "Alright."

Sooyoung made the ball spin around the ball track now, making two pairs of watchful eyes follow its movement. 

The dealer was still smiling, although she herself intently watched where the ball was going. Seeing that made Joohyun feel nervous, because it was the first time she saw Sooyoung get so serious on helping her win.

The way Joohyun's heart beat made her feel scared. She had always trusted Sooyoung to make the ball drop on a specific number when she's showing off to someone, but how come she's so unsure? Was it because it was Seulgi that she's showing around right now? And that she had confidently told her to bet a big amount?

'What if Sooyoung misses twenty-nine today..?' That rang in Joohyun's head. She firmly pursed her lips to restrain squealing in anticipation and nervousness. The fact that she was aware of how fast her heart beat and how heavy she was breathing made her uncomfortable, knowing that a part of herself was becoming scared of the possibility of making Seulgi hate her for betting so high.

The ball now reached the bottom, making a 'clack' sound. It initially landed on a thirty-six red but it bounced. Seulgi leaned forward a bit to watch where the ball would go.

The spinning roulette slowed down, until it came to a stop. Joohyun could only close her eyes and try to calm her heart down. She doesn't want to see it for herself because she knows all too well she'll be so disappointed in herself (and at Sooyoung — you'll know why later).

Joohyun leaned an elbow on the edge of the roulette table and rested her forehead on her palm. She'll rely on the auditory cues instead to know if Seulgi won or not.

The ball landed on a ten black, but bounced once more to go to twenty-five red. Sooyoung and Seulgi watched over the ball and see if it would still move, but it only hit the borders at the edge of the twenty-five red portion of the wheel.

"Whoa!" Seulgi exclaimed, making her jump out of her seat and stand up to lean in and make sure that what she was seeing was real. 

'Yup.' Joohyun thought to herself. 'She won, no doubt.'

The eldest among the three sighed in relief. She found the courage to glance up at Seulgi's raised eyebrows and dropped jaw before she peeked at the wheel itself.

The ball landed on twenty-nine black, as if proving that miracles were possible. 

"I-It jumped, like a fish out of water..!" Seulgi exclaimed. "I won..!" 

That made Seulgi be extremely close to Joohyun as if to hug her out of excitement and relief, but the way Joohyun flinched and backed out a bit made Seulgi realise that it indeed was a bit awkward to hug someone you just met for a few minutes.

Joohyun can't deny she wanted the skinship though, just that she was too surprised with the sudden initiation of it from someone she just met — not to mention, someone she really liked to listen to on YouTube during her free time.

It made her laugh nervously. "Now, that's what you call a fish out of water. It means being uncomfortable. You misused the statement."

Seulgi just giggled and bow quickly in apology.

"Twenty-nine, black, odd." Sooyoung announces, and Seulgi still couldn't believe what just happened. The latter kept blinking in awe with a smile, making the person beside her smile as well. "You win!"

Joohyun gave Sooyoung a thankful smile, which was then returned with a playful wink as if to say 'I always got you, Hyun.'

Sooyoung put the thing that looked like a chess piece on top of Seulgi's bet and gathered $700 worth of prize. She stacked the $700 on top of Seulgi's $500 and pushed it towards Seulgi. 

"Thanks, Joohyun." Seulgi gives her new friend a very genuine smile. She flashes it too brightly, that Joohyun still couldn't believe a member of Girls Next Door was gambling with her tonight. 

"You got the money you spent in the slots back?" Joohyun asks, returning and reflecting the same smile Seulgi gave. 

The taller girl nodded. "It must be true that I have the beginner's luck and that your birth date was truly lucky!" 

Sooyoung only smirked and glanced at Joohyun, which was caught by the said gambler. The two of them knew something was up, but that wasn't noticed by the naive beginner.

"Well, do you want to play more?" Joohyun asks, being considerate both to Seulgi's excitement and to the possibility of this roulette table getting bankrupted if Joohyun pushes Sooyoung to let them win. "We could try other games if you want."

"Maybe one more round of the roulette, and we'll move on to another game!" Seulgi says all too enthusiastically, as her eyes widen in delight. "This is so fun, I hope I could win again!"

Joohyun took another quick glance at Sooyoung's expression. The tall dealer still has a smile on, but she was communicating with her squinted eyes and wiggling eyebrows as if cueing Joohyun to say something smart again.

Before Seulgi gathers a big stack of chips, Joohyun reaches over her hand. "I wouldn't advice you to put a lot of money this time. Beginner's luck is just for... the first time, you know?" 

The rising rookie in the world of gambling gave her a questioning look. "But I'm trusting you to give me a good number again! I may not have the same luck as earlier, but I believe you're a very lucky person."

Joohyun thinks to herself for a moment, then looks up at Seulgi. "Place a minimum bet to be safe. What if this time, we lose? You wouldn't want to lose all of your money, right?" 

"Oh... Right. I should be wise in betting." Seulgi says. "I should feel the atmosphere and try to predict which number seems lucky!"

"Exactly." Joohyun says. "This time, I'll play along. But we'll only place minimum bet, alright?" 

The two gamblers prepared a green chip each. 

"Place your bets, please!" Sooyoung says.

Seulgi places her chip on top of the black '10' tile. On the other hand, Joohyun went for an outside bet and guessed that the ball will land on a red portion (outside bets include guessing which colour the ball will land on, or if you bet it would be on an even or odd number, or if it will land on 1-18 or 19-36).

Their bets made Sooyoung look up at the ceiling and thought if something. After a few seconds of the sudden contemplating, she said "No more bets!" and made the ball spin around the ball track.

Once again, everyone anticipated on where the ball would land. For a dealer, Sooyoung looked too stressed and concerned over where the ball would land. It was finally noticed by Seulgi, and made her question why Sooyoung was too focused on the wheel.

She wanted to ask something, but the roulette had already stopped and the ball had already landed on a portion. Her thoughts were, therefore, cut off by Sooyoung's announcement of the number.

"Seven, red, odd." She declares. "You win!" 

Sooyoung puts the chess piece-like equipment on Joohyun's bet, rakes away Seulgi's chip towards the dealer's stack, and gives Joohyun a $35 worth of chips along with the initial betting chip.

"As expected of Joohyun, always so lucky." Sooyoung says in a tone that would make you think it was scripted, rehearsed, and has been said for the nth time already. "You're a very lucky person as well, Miss Seulgi, for having been accompanied by Miss Joohyun here on your first time."

Seulgi still had questions to ask, but she forgot what exactly what it was about. Everything was too quick for her this time, that's why the question disappeared in her mind the second the number was announced.

"That's why, you know, maybe consider hitting up Joohyun whenever you want to visit the casino again. Or ask her out every time you need some luck in your life, Joohyun's sure to suffice your needs." Sooyoung says with a wink, and with a promoting tone. 

"Whoa," Joohyun coughs. "Hold your horses, Soo. We just met." 

"It isn't that much of a bad idea..." Seulgi says. "I'll consider that, maybe." She continues, emitting the same playfulness Sooyoung radiated.

"Good." Sooyoung gives them a thumbs up. At the sight of a new player, she switches gears and re-introduces herself to the newcomer. 

Joohyun stands up from her seat, and was followed by her companion. She walked over to Sooyoung and gave her back a soft pat. "We'll be going now, Soo. See you around, and thank you... for helping me explain things out to Seulgi."<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter