029: Don’t Yell

Hearts Aflame
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was one of those lazy days in the Mina-Sehun-Kai residence. It wasn’t particularly lazy because they didn’t have classes, because they definitely do, but more because they didn’t have any plans ahead and none of the house residents felt like doing anything either. Mina and Kai were eating their breakfast extremely slowly on the mini dining table for four in their small kitchen, while Sehun was lying his tall, six foot body on the couch right across from them, purposely trying to wave one of his disgusting feet in front of their food. He even dug his toes accidentally in Mina’s cereal bowl and she had shrieked, quickly dumping the cereal and making herself an omelet. He even had the decency to whine about not getting one. Thankfully, he didn’t get his toes in her, or Kai’s, food again. 

“Get your nasty feet off of the table, Sehun, some people are trying to eat here and they don’t want to be exposed to your damn toes while they do so, again may I add.” Mina grumbled with a bite of food in , hugging her plate of omelet close to her chest protectively. 

“Do you know they’re disgusting." Kai joined, stating his words instead of asking. He too, was eating and his mouth was filled with food. Unlike Mina, he wasn’t eating an omelet, instead he chose to eat noodles.

“And Jongin,” Mina moved her eyes off of Sehun’s waving legs and over to him, finding her next victim. “I really don’t recommend noodles in the morning. We already have a ty food routine around this apartment, we don’t have to make it worse. I’ll make you an omelet, how about that?”

Sehun gasped, offended at not being offered one when he was the person who wanted one from the beginning. He paused, ceasing to wave his legs around and sat up correctly on the couch, turing to her with wide, perplexed eyes. 

“Why won’t you make me an omelet? Is only Kai so deserving of that?”

Unfortunately for Sehun, Mina was a great cook, and while she made some sort of buffet when she felt like it, he was occasionally exempted from touching her food when he was being a . Or, she’d offer the boys something to eat, fully-made by her and ignore the pathetic whimpers of him wanting some love too. 

Mina turned to give Sehun a glare, while Kai enjoyed being pampered with a grin. 

“I believe the answer to that question is obvious enough,” she said with purpose. “You deserve a cooked cockroach at best.”

He frowned, disgusted. “Ew, I’m not Chanyeol Hyung, I’m not into insects-- especially when they’re in my stomach.”

“Chanyeol Hyung doesn’t eat insects, Sehun.” Kai added preposterously, not understanding the joke like Mina who snorted, but soon found an opening for her to hate on Sehun even more by Kai’s statement, a smirk on her pretty morning face. 

“Yeah, you narcissistic sissy, you may be half wolf but you don’t need to eat like animals.”

Kai, honest to god, raised his hand for a high-five and she complied, laughing. Sehun merely grimaced sourly, and uglily may she add, Mina just continued to laugh. However, she soon ceased to laugh when she remembered something, taking a bite out of her omelet. 

“Speaking of Chanyeol, have any of you spoke to him lately?”

“Chanyeol Hyung?” Kai wondered out loud, while Sehun blinked his eyes at the sudden intrusion of her question. 

“Yeol? Why the sudden interest about him?” As far as Sehun knows, he didn’t think there was anything wrong with his Hyung, but it might be his occasional hiding habits he has when he’s close to exams. Thinking it was that, Sehun shared it. “I think he’s still overwhelmed with his exams. They’re two days away from now anyway.”

“So I might find him in his apartment?” She inquired. 

“Wrapped around books, hot chocolate and blankets? Probably. I recommend not visiting him in that state, he tends to get meltdowns when stressed, y’know.”

Mina didn’t think it was that. Sure, sometimes Chanyeol had awful habits of deleting his apps and not using his phone through the entire duration of his exams, but at least he informed them all before then so they wouldn’t disrupt or disturb him. These passing days, however, he simply seemed as if God picked him and threw him down below the gates of hell never to return. He wasn’t around their apartment snooping around like the rest of the boys — ahem Baekhyun and Jongdae mostly — and he wasn’t texting her, or anyone for that matter. He truly seemed like he was gone from this earth, just as that. She tried to contact him a few times but her calls went straight to voicemail. The first few times, she didn’t find it in her to panic, but now it has been close to three days. Something must’ve happened, right? And none of them actually noticed it seemed; Sehun and Kai were clueless. 

“Is it just me or does he seem to be... absent these few days?” She tried to say, blinking, and the two boys gave her their attention. “I mean, he hasn’t been online in the group chat for three days either. Is that really something he’d do because of exams without telling us? It seems unlikely of him.”

“Yeah, I miss his ugly morning emojis.” Sehun murmured, now appearing unsure. 

“You’re right,” Kai added, looking down at his soggy noodles, wondering how they missed that. “He’s.. he hasn’t been around lately.”

“Yeah? I know." Mina agreed, shifting her fork around her plate of omelet. “Do you think something happened?”

“I told you, his exams,” Sehun raised his head, refusing to succumb to the discomfort he felt within his chest at his friend. He also thought the rest were acting a little too extremely. It probably was nothing. “You know he turns into a monk when they’re near.” He added.

“We also know he turns into a monk when upset too.” Kai said, lifting his head to stare at Sehun first and then at her. 

“You’re not helping, Kai,” Sehun turned to her after rolling his eyes at Kai, and the older growled at the disrespect which Sehun all but ignored. “Honestly, I don’t think there’s anything wrong. You’re thinking too much of it. Everything has been fine the past few days except for your indecent grossness with my Hyungs, so why the sudden itchy y feeling?”

He was a bit right. Things have been alright for her and the boys the past few days. The boys were content, to an extent, with sharing, or trying to be, and she too was trying to be divided equally between them. For the time being, things were working out, and Minseok was also mildly disinterested in ruining her chances with the others, so none seemed aware of his bare feelings for her. All in all, everything was falling into a nice and steady place, so Mina felt at ease for the first time in a while. Maybe it was that the feeling of brewing content was making her blind to the signs of a withdrawing Chanyeol. 

“What’s the itchy y feeling?” Kai asked curiously, completely out of topic, and Sehun smirked, delighted someone asked. 

“Mina’s-y-sensors-coming-out-alive-to-sense-something-quite-unlikely-to-happen.”

“I can literally hear the dashes in your sentence, you wet noodle.” Mina commented blankly, no expression on her face, and that elicited laughter from both Sehun and Kai. Sehun’s laughter was loud and boisterous like the he was, while Kai’s laughter reflected his own personality. Mild, soft, and none-echoed.

“If you wanna go check on him, be my guest,” Sehun said with a clear of his throat, shushing himself and his big mouth by another glare from her. “And while you’re at it, can I have a falafel from the shop near his apartment, it’s very good and I get hungry between classes.”

The only thing he cared about was his stomach. Of course he’d offer her to go just to fill his stomach. He wiggled his feet again and she waved her fork threateningly around them to stab him. 

“Get the damn falafel yourself, what am I, your slave? You act like I exist only when you want something.”

“Hey, at least I know you exist!” He said in protest, sitting down yet again to give her the infamous Sehun glare. “Do you know how expensive the great Oh Sehun’s attention is? Girls at Uni would kill to be in your place.”

“I’d kill to be out of my own place.” She stabbed her omelet with her fork with a fake cry of anguish. 

“Rude,” he muttered, then as an afterthought, he repeated. “But can I get the falafel though?”

 

-

 

Not so surprisingly, Mina really did go to Chanyeol’s fancy apartment in the middle of the city, climbing up the shiny stairs with single minded determination and fixing the straps of her hair which got blown away by the winds. Minseok, Yixing, Chanyeol, and Suho live alone in their own apartments. Chanyeol and Suho came from rich families, meanwhile Minseok and Yixing used to work in their first few years of university, so they accumulated a bunch of bills for homes of their own throughout the years. Minseok refused to room with anyone which left Yixing alone, eventually having

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter