Ubi Doobi

Infinite Daddies

 

 

 

 

"Why Ubi?" the interviewer stressed in disbelief, "Why did you name your daughter Ubi?"

"Aghh," Hoya winced, unwilling to answer the question as Dongwoo fiddled with his thumbs.

In the end, "It was non-negotiable," Woohyun replied for them. 

 

**********

 

It was only fair, so there was nothing he could do about. 

Hoya'd named Infi, therefore Dongwoo got the final say on their own daughter's name. 

But why were all of his choices so...bad?

Thankfully, Gyu'd talked Dongwoo into allowing Hoya three vetos. 

The first of which, went immediately into effect, "I will not call my child Wooya!" The least absurd of all of Dongwoo's attempts to mash their names together...At least he was smart enough not to pitch "Yadong." ... 

"Why not~?" Woohyun pouted from across the room. Suppressing his laughter, as Dongwoo accidentally proposed that their daughter be named after the HoyaxWoohyun ship 

"Yeah! Why, not?" Dongwoo seconded him, "If she were a boy we could name her Hodong."

"Hell no! Absolutely not!" Hoya didn't need that old wound re-opened, either.

"Why not--?" it took a few seconds, but then it set in. Dongwoo nervously giggled in shame. Hoya's birth name was Hodong...until Kang Hodong showed up on TV and all of the other kids bullied him. "Sorry~"

Then, "Hyung," Jong interrupted, "Why not just keep her birth name? I think Chaeyeon is really pretty."

But, Dongwoo shook his head. "No way! Then again~" he changed his mind and opted for mixing her original name with theirs, "Chaeya? Chaewoo? Hoyeon? Hochae? Yeonho? Yeonwoo? Chaedong? Dongchae? Dongyeon? Dongyeon! Doyeon?"

"Ngh.." Hoya grimaced, "Maybe~" He didn't want to use his second veto so carelessly.

"..Good enough!" Dongwoo cheerfully wrote it down in his notebook of scribbles. 

All throughout the week, Hoya skidded on ice as he pushed aside all of his lover's suggestions. Bizzare names, English ones that Hoya couldn't pronounce right, animals, inanimate objects... "Cheery," Cheerios?

All of which, he casually let Dongwoo scribble down to remember later. As if Hoya'd genuinely consider them.

He'd only clearly drawn the line at Elsa, "Veto!" Everyone named their child Elsa after "Frozen." He wasn't going to be one of them.

"Mmm," Dongwoo bit his lip, "..Ok..." He was obviously dejected, but at the same time secretly delighted that Hoya'd finally used up another one of his verbal rejections.

Now he only had one left, and Dongwoo was ecstatically shooting off all kinds of nonsense like crazy.

He was confident that he'd select the perfect name for their little girl, but he also didn't want Hoya to hate it... So he really tried to take Hoya's reactions into consideration every time he pitched an option. "Agh..." but, Hoya wasn't open to Dongwoo's style of naming. 

It had to be perfect. Her name had to showcase how special she was. It needed to be unique, cute, and have a certain ring to it. It couldn't be too out there, but it had to be quirky.

Really, Dongwoo didn't know what he wanted or how to explain it. 

Then it happened.

"Cooby! Cooby! Cooby! Cooby!" Dongwoo yelled with conviction while Hoya eyed him in shock. 

"What the...? Veto!" The last one. It'd slipped out of his mouth. No hesitation whatsoever, because it was pure stupid.

"Fine then, Ubi!" his hyung quickly altered his final decision, "Ubi!" No objections left.

"Ubi!?" Hoya couldn't believe what he was hearing. What kind of a name is Ubi? How did it come to this?

"Ubi! Ubi! I choose Ubi! It's so cute~! I love it!" his lover squealed as if it was already finalized. Before switching his attention to their social worker, "Where did we put the papers? We've decided, her new name is Ubi!"

What happened? Hoya replayed the scene over again in his head. Completely dumbfounded, "..Right.." 

 

*Flashback*

 

The social worker had brought Chaeyeon over to their place for their third "Home Test." And the boys were especially nervous because it was the first time that she'd get to meet Nicki. 

Who could predict how well she'd react to a large Pitbull? But, if it all worked out well then their adoption was finalized.

Thankfully, Chaeyeon didn't seem too frightened. Only slightly whimpering as Nicki sniffed her head and her face. Thereafter, giggling once she'd realized that the big beast was a sweetheart.

"Yii~," she squealed as she grabbed onto Nicki's fur the same way that Infi does. And as always, Nicki didn't mind the rough treatment as she kissed her new little friend.

"See," Dongwoo pointed out to the social worker, "Nicki's great with kids. She's Infi's personal bodyguard. I'm sure that she'll be just as great with Chaeyeon."

Then while the lady was agreeing with him, she'd asked, "Have you decided on a name yet?" 

So, Yadong stepped aside and talked in the kitchen some more. One thing led to another and then they heard it. They overheard Chaeyeon trying to say something to her social worker. 

And Dongwoo wasn't about to miss it, "What? What is she saying?" as he ran over and knelt down next to them. 

The social worker was giggling.

"Cooby~" Chaeyeon repeated as she smiled brightly while playing with Nicki's ear. 

"Cooby?" Dongwoo asked.

"Ne," the lady laughed, "No Chaeyeon, Scooby-Doo is a Great Dane. Nicki is a Pitbull."

"Aigoo~" Dongwoo cooed. Petting Nicki's head as he tickled their soon-to-be-daughter, "Is Nicki Scooby-Doo~? Is she~? Tickle tickle tickle."

 

*Back to the present*

 

Hoya snapped out of it. "Hyung...just so we're on the same page here, you do realize that you're naming our only daughter after a cartoon dog?" Adding, "Who smokes pot while traveling around with a group of mystery solving hippies..."

Dongwoo hummed for a moment. Considering if this really was a good idea. Yeah, "Ne."

"..."

"I'm naming her Ubi. Her name is Ubi," he asserted once more over Hoya's silence. He'd learn to love it.

"You are naming our daughter after Scooby-Doo!!!!!" Hoya really couldn't believe that this was his reality.

A little while later, Hoya asked the social worker, "How does Chaeyeon know Scooby-Doo?"

She couldn't tell him, she just shrugged.

Were they watching it at the orphanage?

Maybe.

 

++++++++++

 

Ye~ Another quickie!

I think I like this quickie format. Should I keep it this way or stretch it out?

Later on, we'll: Go to daycare, Go back to the zoo, learn to swim, have our first fight, Say "no" all day long, learn the alphabet, and so much more.