How They Met

HouseMates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nights in Seoul city on weekends are always busy and crowded with young adults partying at clubs, teens hanging out at fairs and arcades, families dining out at restaurants and couples taking strolls down the park and streets. Everyone was just out and about, spending some quality time with their loved ones.

Sitting on her bed with a face mask on and a book in her hands was Bae Joohyun, a homebody who spends almost every weekend at home in her room if she was not being forced to hang out, by her (very few) friends.

Content with her own company, staying home was always a bliss for the single lady who doesn't really appreciate crowds and noise. She'd rather be missing out on what her friends would call 'fun' and glue herself to her mattress with her books that she would habitually purchase weekly at the bookstore two blocks away from her workplace or alternatively binge watch on drama shows with chocolates and popcorn by herself.

She could normally finish up a novel within a week and complete a whole drama of 30 episodes in one sitting without skipping any parts but lately, she hasn't been able to carry out her normal weekend routine in peace. She hasn't even managed to touch the stack of books on her shelf yet and she could barely get through an episode without getting distracted. It wasn't even because she was finally having a life outside or that she was caught up with backlogs of work.

However, if it was anything she could put the blame on, she'd blame it all on the one person in the world that she despised the most, second to her Boss...

...and that is none other than her incredibly pesky housemate, Kim Taehyung.

 

 

<<------>>

 

Stuffing her earbuds into her ears, wasn't enough. Playing music on the highest volume with her headphones didn't help either. His annoying, loud voice could still clearly be heard from her room, bothering her peace. Glancing up at the clock on her wall, Joohyun scrunched her eyebrows so hard in annoyance and groaned out loud in seething anger.

'That. Is. It.'

"KIM TAEHYUNG!" -Joohyun shouted out loud with her face turning so red, she could probably explode.

Slamming her book close, she got up from her bed and stormed her way out of the room. She was so ready to break his game consoles and tv screen apart with her bare hands.

'BANG! BANG! BANG!'

Joohyun stomped on the door violently with her fist, forcefully twisting the knob of the locked door despite knowing it wouldn't magically open by itself.

"Kim Taehyung! Open Up!" -She ordered harshly.

It didn't take a while for her housemate to answer her. As usual, he would only partially open up his door to peek a look, as if there was anyone else in the house who would come knocking on his door apart from her. Then, he opened it up slightly wider, still blocking the view to his room with his body as if there was something precious, top-secret 'stuff' he was trying to hide from her.

"How can I help you, Miss Pain-In-The-Neck' ?" -he asked in a nice tone yet very displeasing to her ears, intentionally trying to push her buttons knowing that she was going to start nagging at him for how loud he was with his games.

"What did you just called me?!" -She pushed her hair back and questioned in a scornful tone. "Hahaha...I'm a Pain In The Neck? Me?! Unbelievable! Well, let's see...You put your stupid games' audio on blast. You shout your lungs out every two fuh-reakin minutes and it has been going on for about...hmm...I don't know THREE HOURS?! Who's the pain in the neck, now?!"

"You." -he simply answered.

"Kim Taehyung!" -She grumbled out of frustration, panting furiously as she shot him a baleful glance.

"Look, I'm in the middle of a game right now. And you're here, literally begging for my attention. If this isn't you being a pain in the neck, I don't know what is." -He gave her a nonchalant response, which he knew would vex her even more.

"Begging for your what, now?" -Joohyun's tone was getting dangerously low and her glare had turned cold.

"A-T-T-E-N-T-I-O-N. Attention. Alright, look. Here's the thing. If you don't like the noise, go out to the library or something. The park is a great idea, too. Anywhere else but this house is a great idea for you to be." -He said, casually giving her suggestions despite knowing it's already dark outside. "Or...maybe...you can go look out for a different place to stay. That is the best idea! You should really consider it."

"It's already past midnight, !" -She raised her voice again, this time a little louder. "And don't even try to get to that topic! I paid the monthly rent for my room and the utilities so I have every right to remain in this house. Perhaps you should be the one to consider moving out!"

"Excuse yourself, I paid the rent for the entire place before you came and begged the landlord to have that room!" -He began to argue,

"Of course you paid the rent, but inconsistently." -She emphasized, trying to win the argument over, "Which is why the landlord rented the other room to me! To help lessen your incapability of paying the rent for the house, ON TIME! Face it, Kim Taehyung. My presence in this house helps reduce your financial crisis. Your monthly rental has been split, Thanks. To. Me. The least you could do is to just be a little bit considerate now that I'm living here too. We've been through this argument for like a billion times already! Aren't you tired? Because I honestly am!" -she panted, trying to catch her breath after ranting out her thoughts to him.

"Are you done?" -He asked, giving her an unbothered look after hearing out her frustrations.

"Taehyung, I -"

'Click'

He quickly snapped a photo of Joohyun with his camera that came out of nowhere. The flash certainly made Joohyun a little dizzy, squinting her eyes a number of times as she tries to blindly snatch his camera from his hands.

"YAAAH!! You better be deleting that!I'm going to murder you!" -She growled, helplessly jumping on her feet to try and grab the camera. This is the part where she hates him. Throughout her stay in the house, she was slowly counting on everything about Kim Taehyung that honestly peeved her. His inconsiderate behaviour was an obvious one and that night, she had discovered that his height was another thing that truly bothered her.

'Why does he have to be so tall?! Why do I have to be so small?! Urghh!'

Flicking her hard on the forehead, Taehyung quickly closed his door shut and ignored the continuous loud knocks his housemate was producing. Grinning in satisfaction, he flumped his body on the bed with eyes still glued to the LCD screen that displayed Joohyun's infuriated face, with her eyebrows scrunched, cold-eyed glare and adorably tightened lips.

"Another shot of her face, into my collection of 'Joohyun's rage faces'...I wonder how much I could make if I were to sell these..." -he chuckled,

So far, Taehyung had successfully collected eight 'angry-faced' snapshots of Bae Joohyun, the housemate who he had no choice but to live with. One photo every week was his goal and the latest one marked their eighth week being housemates.

'She has tolerated my nonsense for two months, now. Impressive.'

Right after Joohyun moved in to the house, Kim Taehyung had made it a personal mission to drive her insane with his inconsiderate behaviour, hoping that he could eventually chase her out of the house.

 

Question: How did all the chaos begin?

Answer: Their landlord.

 

<<------>>

 

Kim Taehyung was a freelance photographer, a bachelor who had decided to move out of his parents' place in Daegu to live and work in the Seoul City.

It was one of his friend who had introduced him to a landlord, Choi Minho - who just so happens to be looking for a tenant to rent the house that they owned. In the beginning, Minho and his wife, Im Yoona, were pretty friendly and warm towards their tenant until he began to pay the rent late months after months.

Despite the constant nagging Taehyung had received from Minho, he still never really kicked his habit of not paying the rent promptly. And it wasn't even because he couldn't afford to pay. He just doesn't know how to manage his finances well. He invests most of his money on the most unimportant things and activities in life like partying, for instance.

Of course, Minho never really had the heart to kick him out since he had grown fond of the young man. Despite the bad habit, Taehyung was a really nice guy. However, he couldn't honestly keep giving chances and close an eye on Taehyung's irresponsibility.

He thought it would be a great idea if he rented the extra room in the house to someone else since Taehyung was only utilising one room and is barely ever home on weekends. He assumed that he was somewhat 'reducing' Taehyung's financial crisis by finding another person for him to split the rent with. Little did he know, it only added more burden into the guy's sanity.

Taehyung had initially agreed to what his landlord had suggested without giving any thoughts into the matter. All be cared about was for the rent to be split up. Dividing the rental payment would mean that he could spend a little more money on himself but he never thought he would hate the idea so much when his housemate moved in.

For a start, he didn't know that his housemate was going to be a lady. An incredibly noise-sensitive, naggy one too. He came home one night after a long tiring day of work to find the house spick and span with furniture rearranged and purple coloured everything, decorated around the house.

He almost had a shock of his life when he bumped into a lady wrapped in a bathrobe with her face covered in greenish cream, what seemed like a guacamole spread to him, casually strolling out of the other unoccupied room in the house. Her high-pitched scream tortured his eardrums for a good few seconds when she noticed his presence.

"Who the hell are you?!" -She instantly panicked,

"Who the hell are you?" -He shot back the same question to her nonchalantly. "I live here." -he answered plainly.

"What? No! I live here! I'm the new tenant in this house!" -She responded harshly, immediately grabbing the nearest ite

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter