처음 (THE BEGINNING)

보디 가드 (THE BODYGUARDS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(a/n: This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to real people or events is purely coincidental. All characters, places, and incidents are either imaginary or used fictitiously.)

 

Bold- english conversation

Italized- thoughts 

And the rest are Korean conversation

 

-----

"Put the gun down, Mr. Smith," she said firmly, as he was about to shoot.

 

Mr. Smith laughed and looked at her. "You think you can control the situation? How do you plan to beat someone as experienced as me?"

 

However, he slowly put the gun down, smiling in a way that surprised her.

 

Hmm, another one of your traps.

 

She stayed alert and gave him a confident smile, putting her gun back at her left side. They were in a deserted room that felt as creepy as a haunted house, with Smith seeming like the vampire living there.

 

The room was full of spider webs, and the weak light helped her keep an eye on him. He was known as the most wanted criminal in America, involved in smuggling, assault, drug dealing, and human trafficking.

 

"I might just be better than you," she replied boldly, unfazed by his laughter. "Keep laughing, but today is your last day," she said quietly, grabbing his attention.

 

He ceased his laughter, adjusting his tie and attire. "Killing me won't be easy. My retribution stands between you and that goal." he declared, walking towards a table and leaning against it. "You know, as a man, I'm uninterested in the likes of you." 

 

She looked at him, crossing her arms—a clear sign she was bored. "Oh? And why's that?" 

 

"Simple. I don't engage in combat with women. It would tarnish my image. Yet, your reputation as a formidable fighter has given me pause." he admitted.

 

"Cut the nonsense, Mr. Smith. Just give up and save us both the time," she said, running out of patience

 

Don't make me do this, Mr. Smith. Come on.

 

"Feisty, I like it. Unfortunately, I'm not up for a fight. But if you want me to surrender, there's a condition." He countered, arms crossed, a smirk playing on his lips.

 

Her brows furrowed. "What kind of condition?"

 

"I'm glad you found me. Being #1 on the record brought you here. Without that, we'd never cross paths." he mused, leaving the girl perplexed. "You know I know your name. I just wanted a proper introduction... I've watched you on TV and, I won't lie, you're even prettier in person." his smugness evident.

 

"Are you eager to know my condition?" he asked, sensing her impatience, chuckling again. "I'll surrender myself if you agree to be... my girlfriend."

 

Her eyes widened, not expecting this bizarre condition. It was absurd, an unexpected twist in an already improbable situation. This wasn't some romantic drama where the hero and villain fell for each other.

 

"You must know that'll never happen, Mr. Robert Smith."

 

Robert theatrically placed a hand over his heart, gazing at her with mock sorrow. "Ah, the sting of rejection. Ouch! You're quite heartless."

 

"I'm giving you one more chance to surrender," she warned, a note of seriousness in her voice. But Robert remained oblivious, still nursing his heartbreak over her rejection.

 

"I won't budge until you consider my condition. Believe me, I'll kick my bad habits for you, and we'll live happily ever after." 

 

You're leaving me no choice, then.

 

Her hand firmly gripped her gun, aiming it at him and surprising him. His anxious eyes darted between her and his gun on the floor. As he lunged for it, she quickly acted, making the gun fly out of his reach. Seeing his plan foiled sparked panic in his eyes, and he turned, planning to run away.

 

"Ah!" He cried out as he collapsed to his knees, his legs disabled by her shots. Even in pain, he smiled. "This is why you intrigue me. You're a challenge worth pursuing—hard to obtain. Men appreciate strong women, they love a challenge." he confessed, his smile unwavering even in the face of injury.

 

Before the girl could respond, the door swung open, revealing her companions who had stood by her.

 

"Enough antics. Take him away, he's been nothing but a nuisance."

 

They instructed, helping him up and securing him with handcuffs. As they led him away, he paused, turning to gaze at her once more. "My affection for you remains unshaken, My Yoona," he declared. The police chuckled, while the girl rolled her eyes, urging them to move on.

 

Her phone buzzed in her pocket, its caller ID catching her attention. "Hello?" she answered.

 

"Unnie! The scene's been cleared. Come down so we can leave," the voice on the other end urged.

 

"Yeah, I'll be right there." Ending the call, she descended the stairs, her gaze lingering on the space around her. A sigh escaped her lips, and she glanced at her watch—it read 6 PM.

 

As she emerged from the abandoned mansion, she was met with the presence of police officers, paparazzi, and ambulances. Amidst the commotion, a familiar voice called out. She located the brunette waiting by their car, leaning against the door.

 

"Do you want to drive?" she offered, about to hand over the car keys.

 

"No, you take the wheel today. I could use a short nap," 

 

A nod followed, and Yoona settled into the passenger seat, preparing to rest.

 

The engine hummed to life, and slowly, the rhythmic sounds lulled her into a peaceful slumber.

 

-----

"Yoona Unnie, wake up. We've arrived."

 

Groggily, Yoona opened her eyes and stretched her arms, glancing at the girl who had woken her. "Why do I feel so warm, Seulgi? Look, I'm even sweating," she remarked, using tissues to blot her sweaty face and even removing her coat.

 

Scratching the back of her neck, Seulgi chuckled nervously. "Ah, hehe, Unnie. I was feeling cold, so I didn't turn on the air conditioning. My bad."

 

"Seriously, Kang Seulgi? You could've just cracked a window open. Thank goodness I still managed to sleep well." Yoona scolded playfully, rolling her eyes. "Fine, just make it up to me next time. Let's go, Sergeant is waiting inside." With that, Seulgi pulled Yoona out of the car and led her into the building.

 

Warm smiles and congratulations greeted them from the people inside. Ah, this feeling is wonderful,

 

"That's why I have such fondness for our job." Yoona spontaneously declared, catching Seulgi's curious gaze.

 

They were making their way to Sergeant's office for a debriefing.

 

Seulgi raised an eyebrow. "Why's that?"

 

"I love how they value and respect what we do. Their constant support means a lot, especially when compared to my mother. She's still opposed to my career choice." Yoona explained, her tone a mix of reflection and sincerity.

 

Seulgi patted Yoona's back reassuringly. "Don't worry, Unnie. While she might be against it now, I'm sure she'll come around and become your biggest supporter in the end."

 

Yoona's parents split up because of her father's job as a Superintendent at the New York City Police Department. He was key in solving many unsolved cases in America, which brought a lot of stress. Originally from Korea, he moved to America when he was 10 and lived in New York City all his life. His parents owned a successful business, and that's where he met Yoona's mother, Khloe Simmons. Khloe owned a fashion business and was the CEO of her family's company.

 

The intense demands of Youngjae Lim's job as a Superintendent took up most of his time, creating distance between him and Yoona's mother. Their marriage fell apart because he was so focused on his work, leaving Khloe feeling neglected and leading to their divorce. Khloe later found companionship with James Simmons, who had two sons close to Yoona's age. At first, Yoona was upset about her mother starting a new family, but she began to understand Khloe's reasons as she got older. Although Khloe invited Yoona to be part of this new family, Yoona's deep love and loyalty to her father made her choose to stay with him.

 

Yoona greatly admired her father's dedication to his work, which inspired her to become a detective. Although her father initially opposed the idea because of the risks involved, he eventually supported her choice. However, convincing her mother, Khloe, was more challenging due to her worries about Yoona's safety. Ultimately, Khloe gave her blessing but with a condition: "Just ensure you stay safe. I may not fully support it, but I respect your choice." They maintained their bond through daily talks, yet Yoona still missed having a complete family. Despite her wish for her mother's return, fate had already made its decision.

 

Khloe's new family didn't grow larger; she was satisfied with just having Yoona. Her deep love for her daughter was evident in her choice not to have more children, highlighting the strong connection between them. Yoona would always be her cherished child.

 

When they entered the Sergeant's office, he was deeply involved in a phone call. He signaled for them to sit down with a hand gesture, and they did, patiently waiting for his conversation to end.

 

After a few minutes, the call ended, and he turned toward them with a warm smile. "My Lovely Daughter and My Lovely Niece! I couldn't be prouder of both of you. As expected, you handled it with such finesse. It seemed like a walk in the park for you two."

 

The person they saw behind the desk was Sergeant Sungjae Kang, Seulgi's father, renowned as the top Sergeant in San Francisco thanks to his hard work and skills. His family was connected to Yoona's through their mutual cousin, Youngjae, whose father and Sungjae's mother were brother and sister, making Yoona and Seulgi cousins.

 

Seulgi had an older brother whom her father had originally hoped would continue the family's policing legacy. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, leaving Sungjae disappointed. It was only later that he realized Seulgi herself wished to follow in his footsteps. This discovery brought him immense joy, and he, along with her mother, fully supported Seulgi's career choice. For Seulgi, having her parents' love and support meant everything.

 

Yoona played an instrumental role in Seulgi's journey, inspiring her to strive for her goals. Seulgi recognized this debt of gratitude and held Yoona in high esteem, for it was through her influence that Seulgi found the determination to follow her own aspirations, guided by her father's supportive presence.

 

"It's because we did a great job, Dad. If not for Yoona Unnie, Robert Smith wouldn't be in jail today," Seulgi chimed in, her smile directed at them.

 

The bond between Seulgi and Yoona was exceptionally strong, likely due to their shared profession, keeping them united.

 

"What do you mean? If it weren't for you, I'd never have located him," Yoona retorted, a smile gracing her lips.

 

Sungjae observed the girls and returned their smiles. Yoona had become like a daughter to him after her move to Los Angeles for her job, leaving her father to handle New York City cases. Sungjae had promised Yoona's father that he'd care for her as his own. "Hey, neither of you would have put him behind bars if it weren't for the both of you," he interjected, giving them a thumbs up. "Anyway, the reason I called you here is that we're dispatching

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter