Prompts

Can You Feel It? A Writing Contest [Winner Announced!]
Instructions
Choose one prompt from the ones below to guide you throughout your story, and remember to stick to it.
If your story has nothing to do with the chosen prompt, doesn't matter how good it is, we will have to disqualify your entry from the prizes, as it has broken the rules.
You can, and you are highly encouraged to make plot twists, though, mostly in cases of cliché prompts as a way of making it unique.
If you choose a cliché prompt, and writes what everyone already does, it might lose many points for lack of creativity.
However, you mustn't forget to follow the main point of your chosen prompt.
Prompts that are strikethrough aren't available anymore.

 

#01 Tell the story of a scar, whether a physical scar or emotional one.
#02 A group of children discover a dead body.
#03 A young prodigy becomes orphaned.
#04 A person who is deeply in love is crushed when their fiancé breaks up with them.
#05 A talented young person’s deepest fear is holding them life back.
#06 A poor young boy or girl comes into an unexpected fortune.
#07 A shy, young person unexpectedly bumps into their soulmate (literally bumps into them).
#08 A long journey is interrupted by a disaster.
#09 The end of a relationship. 
#10 Their deepest fear is holding his or her relationship OR career back.
#11 After living in poverty, they comes into an unexpected fortune.
#12 While on a journey, they are interrupted by a natural disaster OR an accident.
#13 You runs into the path of a monster.
#14 You're cursed every Wednesday to endure a tragedy, but on Thursday no one remembers.
#15 In a remote town, a veil between worlds opens once a year.
#16 A King stands in front of his Court and commands that his own child be executed. What events lead to this point?
#17 Cathedral walls writhed and heaved as the gargoyles were roused from a millennia of static malevolence.
#18 After slipping into a pond, they resurface in a parallel world where good is bad. There, they make a surprising friend.
#19 Green smoke swirled inside the only jar among the empty bottles. Its label read: Don’t open. Or do. It’s up to you.
#20 Being chased through time and space, your only escape is to find portal after, portal wherever they might appear.
#21 The kingdom was prophesized to crumble. Everything changes, but not quite how you thought it would.
#22 On the eve of their coronation they received a gift: a severed hand clutching a scroll sealed with their enemy’s crest.
#23 Imagine your protagonist finds a loved one acting completely out of character, for no explicable reason. Why is it?
#24 As the elevator door is about to close, you lock eyes with someone on the other side – someone from the past.
#25 They need help, but there’s a catch: they need to keep their goal a total secret from the helper.
#26 It all began the day I found myself on my knees cleaning out a dead man’s fridge.
#27 They are mistaken for a member of a cult, when they accidentally imitate their secret greeting.
#28 A detective finally hunts down a notorious killer, only to realise upon their arrest that they agrees with the killer's motive.
#29 A detective is assigned to investigate the very murder they committed.
#30 A murder at a secluded crime writing retreat leads to some unusual methods of detecting the killer.
#31 Awakening with a strange tattoo on their palm, they turn on the news and find out that everyone has one. Why?
#32 Write a dystopian story about a person who has their memory extracted and tried to find their way back to the truth.
#33 Their fingers traced the glass bottle in front of them and eventually reached the bundle of papers stuffed inside.
#34 You fall for the person who scares you the most.
#35 The window in the garden wall has been boarded up forever, but tonight a dull, violet light pulses in the cracks…
#36 A deep space crew find an alien object. They violently argue over who owns it. They realise it is observing them.
#37 The sun is going down and taking Earth with it. What will happen to those left behind on the doomed planet?
#38 After being invaded 50 years ago, a group of scientists set out to create a child that’s half human and half alien.
#39 An intergalactic manhunt for a mass murderer: you. Only thing is, you’re innocent, and didn’t think aliens existed.
#40 Time travel works, but only once in a person’s life. Write from the perspective of someone who chooses to go back in time, knowing they can never return. Where do they go and why?
#41 A historical character who travels to the present day and causes chaos when they steal back something that originally belonged to them.
#42 A group of archeologists who discover the ruins of Atlantis on a newly-formed volcanic island.
#43 Their family and friends believe that they are a mythological figure resurrected, even though they don’t believe it themselves.
#44 A warrior who discovers that their clan has been at war for centuries because of a typographical error that may have been deliberate.
#45 A magical world where all of the magic turns out to be an elaborate illusion.
#46 A miner who hits a vein of a strange new rock and becomes a target for a government agency that wants to keep the discovery a secret.
#47 A person who is obsessed with perfecting their life story by travelling back in time to correct mistakes or flaws.
#48 They fall in love with someone from an enemy clan in order to lift a curse.
#49 Your job is to create treasure hunts, but who finds themselves on someone else’s treasure hunt, and ends up discovering an old coffin.
#50 Two people who fall in love but come from planets where time runs very differently.
#51 After learning that their parents were guilty of a terrible crime, they set out to collect evidence against them.
#52 They awoke an ancient mythical beast while scouting for a movie location at a remote monastery.
#53 Soldiers take souvenirs from their fallen enemies, which proves to be their downfall.
#54 Lightning strikes a person and leaves mysterious words or a map burned onto her or his skin.
#55 After falling asleep during history class, a teen wakes up to find their school and town apparently abandoned, for what looks like years.
#56 On their 16th birthday, they miraculously survive a head-on car crash without a scratch. A week later when they scrape their knee playing basketball, it heals within minutes. Where did this power come from, and what can they do with it?
#57 Character 1 is hired to kidnap Character 2 to be used as ransom but end up falling for them.
#58 After hiking off trails in a remote mountain, they discover a shiny spherical object the size of a small car. What happens when an old man who claims to be the “guardian” of the object shows up, and what is the object?
#59 They have cheated death several times, and is confused about why they survive events that should have killed them. One day after narrowly escaping again, they see news of someone dying. This continues every time they escape, coming to the conclusion that someone else is dying in their place every time.
#60 In the year 2030, humans have perfected the ability to upload the greatest minds on the planet and turn them into sentient AIs to help us advance the species. You were on your death bed, having lived your entire ordinary life, and in a blink of an eye, you were greeted by a guidance VI.
#61 What doesn’t kill you makes you far too reckless.
#62 There was a door, despite it not being there last week and they felt the overwhelming desire to open it.
#63 They were becoming awfully good at playing the judge, jury and executioner.
#64 The stains were impossible to hide and hard to explain.
#65 Sometimes it feels like you’re only waiting for the moment “almost” isn’t good enough anymore.
#66 For all the ugly things they had done, their entwined hands looked beautiful together.
#67 It was a daydream and a nightmare, depending on who you ask.
#68 They told you there are only two options: getting married or going to war. You still chose the third one.
#69 A little while ago the sirens would have scared you but now all you could feel was relief.
#70 Not going to lie to you, we’re all going to die. But not today.
#71 They were not supposed to be alive - but here they were, living and breathing.
#72 Am I a hero or the devil’s son? Can’t figure out what side I’m on.
#73 The letter in their hand felt like it weighed a ton. Their hands were shaking because they knew: no matter if good or bad, opening the letter would change their life.
#74 They didn’t know that when they started to walk they would never return.
#75 In every century there where always four celebrated wielders of the elements in the world. One could wield fire, one earth, one water and the last one could wield air. But history seemed to forget about the fifth one.
#76 Some said the world would end in fire, some said in ice. Some people even said with zombies. But no one could have known that this was how it all ended.
#77 There was a moment in my life where I said No but meant Yes and I will never forgive myself for that.
#78 Sometimes the hand holding your own is the only thing that connects you to the world.
#79 Life should be easy when you have powerful magic. But when said magic is uncontrollable magnetism of a random body part, such as hair, chest, or foot, things get extremely difficult.
#80 What if you were able to travel in time but there is just no place in history that is safe for you?
#81 There is a common saying about the calm before the storm. But no one ever talks about the deafening silence after the storm hit.
#82 The incredibly loud explosion almost made their ears bleed and the shock wave knocked them off their feet. But while everyone ran away screaming and seeking cover, they calmly pocketed the detonater. And with a smile on their faces and the fire of the burning truck reflecting in their eyes they were satisfied. Because, after waiting for so long, they finally found out what an exploding truck sounded like.
#83 For the most part, everything seems alright… But once the party is over, you hear a voice calling out for you. It seems to be coming from the sea.
#84 The sea has terrified you for as long as you can remember. You believe your fear developed because of dreams you had as a kid.
#85 You wake up one morning and begin your usual early-morning routine. As you go to brush your hair, you look into the mirror, only to realize your reflection is a little off. No matter how you move, your reflection just stares at you. A few moments later, the mirror-you screams, “Guys! Come here! My reflection is moving on its own!!!”
#86 And I whispered good night to the stars as they vanished before my eyes. I mourn the things that once were, because though I cannot stop it, they will always leave again.
#87 You’re a small town therapist/counsellor who’s been seeing more patients than usual, and individually, they drop you little pieces and details about a recent, dark event.
#88 In the murky depths of the water, I could just barely make out a flash of a fin. Perfect. I cast my line, hoping for something good this time. There was a sharp tug, followed by another. I pulled back against it, but soon found myself yanked into the water instead of the other way around. At the end of my line, I was met with a human face rather than a piscine one.
#89 An infection nobody has seen for thousands of years ravages a city. When the quarantine is over there is something…new about those that survived and the ones that didn’t.
#90 I had always expected some weird things to come out of an Anime Club meeting outside of the school. Someone calling the police on us was not what I had ever imagined would happen.
#91 You’re at a family reunion practicing some sleight of hand tricks you picked up on the internet. Unbeknownst to your brother, you pick his pocket and find the ID of the missing girl from your small hometown who was found dead the week earlier.
#92 I heard the faint sound of gunshots and looked over, the young girl next to me had now ducked down and was praying in Hebrew. I heard the screams and footsteps get closer. The door opened and the shots were fired.
#93 A huge and ancient dragon loses her clutch of eggs.  She decides to adopt an office building full of employees as her children.  But to keep them safe, she doesn’t want to let any of them leave.
#94 One of our mutual friends talked us into being their victim for their first love potion and they need to document it for class.
#95 You came into the animal shelter looking for a manageable pet but you came out with the most snobby and angry gargoyle we had. I just saw you in the park a week later and they were the most well behaved creature there, tell me your secrets.
#96 My teleportation spell didn’t send me to my Mom’s house, it sent me to yours and I didn’t know if I should try to leave again, but the good news is, I walked your dragons while you were out.
#97 All it takes is a drop of your blood and they can read your future.
#98 All mythology is true yet false. if you look for it, it will never be true. That is why the gods of myth reveal themselves in back parking lots at 3am to tired students and children lost in clothing stores. They are not looking.
#99 A time traveler travels back to see the worship of mythological gods but is instead mistaken for one with their powerful ‘chariot’.
#100 The new gods have no idea they are. They effect the environment around them in inopportune ways. (One poisons the water they nearly drown in…which is a whole lake, another hunts for food but revives every animal they touch, a city-rat finds that from their footsteps spring flowers which breaks streets, etc…)