three.

strangers | hyunjin x jeongin

jeongin hummed as he stepped inside their new residence. as soon as he did, he got greeted by his father, who was already in the middle of unpacking some small decorative materials that will be displayed in their new living room. "hi, dad. do you need any help?" jeongin asked politely, with a huge smile plastered on his face. his dad just shook his head and said, "no, son, i'm fine. you should start unpacking your own stuff, so you don't have to do it after dinner tonight. you'd most likely end up being tired afterwards, so you better start now. your brothers are already on it in their own rooms."

jeongin nodded obediently and walked across the living room and onto the stairs. as he was making his way up, his dad spoke again. "oh, right, did you befriend the kid from next door? the neighbors said he's only a year older than you are, so i presume that you guys are just gonna get along just fine." with that, jeongin grimaced and shook his head. he saw his dad flash him a worried look, and jeongin was quick in switching back his dull expression to his bright one. "but worry not, dad!" jeongin said, trying to sound positive. "i already told him to come with his parents for dinner tonight. i think he was just in a bad mood so we never really got to talk earlier. but i'll try again later!"

"that's good, soon. good luck." and with that, jeongin went to his room and started to unpack his things. his mind was occupied with all the things he had in his bag that he hasn't gotten to think about the kid from next door while he's at it. after putting all of his clothes inside his new closet, jeongin picked up a shoe box he took with him from his old home and grinned when he opened it up.

the shoe box was filled with old pictures of him, along with his parents and his two brothers. he laughed at his young and goofy self, a wave of memories entering his mind. there were pictures of him with his family at the amusement park, pictures of him and his two brothers while they were out buying ice cream, and other memorable photographs.

soon enough, jeongin's smile faded. he coninued to look through the photos, and a hint of sadness pricked him, because even if he had his parents and his brothers by his side, he felt really alone. he never had a really close best friend with him, because as a child, he never really got to mingle with other kids aside from his own brothers. sure, he was thankful of the love that his parents and his brothers give him, but he thinks that it might have been a bit different if he had a best friend of his own, someone whom he could call in the middle of the night and chat about the smallest, most stupid things.

jeongin closed the shoe box with a sigh and put it under his bed. when he sat back up, he caught a glimpse of his bedroom window. he squinted as he saw the rays of sunlight entering his room, and then saw that his bedroom window was parallel to the bedroom window from the house next door. as if on instinct, he found himself standing from his bed and towards the window, so he could take a closer look.

as if it was timed, someone from next door entered the room, and it was the person jeongin talked to earlier, the cold guy from next door. "what was his name again...?" jeongin mumbled to himself as he tried to remember. "ah, that's right, hyunjin. his name is hyunjin." jeongin nodded to himself and looked at hyunjin. the latter was now seated by his desk, and he seemed to be on his computer, working on something.

something inside jeongin wished that hyunjin would turn his head towards him so he could wave his hand and start over with befriending him, but even when jeongin waited for a few minutes, hyunjin just sat there. jeongin gave up with a soft sigh, and he lied down on his bed. he was looking up at the ceiling and tried to think of things he could say to hyunjin once they meet again later tonight.

"hello, i'm jeongin! remember, from earlier today?" jeongin practiced in a cheerful tone, and even practiced how to extend his hand for a friendly handshake. jeongin shook his head afterwards. "no, no, that sounds too... cheerful. hmm." jeongin tapped his chin and kept on thinking, taking glances by his window from time to time. unlike him, who was feeling a bit excited and nervous about their second meeting, hyunjin still sat there, looking unbothered by anything.

"ah, whatever," jeongin said, flailing his arms in the air as he did. "we'll just see what happens later. i hope dad's good luck will come for me."