two.

strangers | hyunjin x jeongin

it has been an hour since hyunjin's "conversation" with his mother. hyunjin stepped out of his room to put his plate on the kitchen sink; he was able to finish his food but it took him so long because he really didn't want to eat. it was 4:30 PM, and hyunjin's parents were out to visit his grandmother because it was a sunday. hyunjin decided to hang around the living room for a while, and he turned the television on even if he really didn't have any intentions of watching anything.

he kept on pushing the buttons on the remote control, but he was never really comprehending whatever is shown on the television screen. he just sat there, motionless, his eyes glued to the screen as his fingers continued to move along the remote control's buttons.

a few moments later, there was a knock on their front door. it was faint, so he didn't pay attention to it at first. instead, he turned the television off, as to make the person by the door believe that no one was home. hyunjin sat there and didn't move an inch as he waited for the person to leave, but instead, he heared more knocks, and they were much louder than the first. hyunjin decided to give it a few more moments, and he thought that the person would finally leave afterwards.

"uh, hello?" and then there were more knocks that followed. "uh, sir? not to sound weird, but i saw your television screen was earlier. can you open the door, please? my family moved next door and my mother asked me to bring some food, and maybe make some friends. sir?" more knocking commenced after the person spoke.

hyunjin had no choice but to open the door, after all the person behind the door already knew he was there and hyunjin thought that if he did open the door for him, then he would already leave. hyunjin lazily walked towards the front door, and also lazily opened the big wooden door. and then he froze in his spot when he saw who was standing there.

in front of hyunjin was a boy holding a plate of what looked like rice cakes. hyunjin looked at the plate he was holding, and then he let his gaze travel to the boy's face. the boy had a huge smile plastered across his face, his eyes were even crinkled because he was smiling too widely. one striking feature that the boy had was the fact that he had braces, which made him look like a child, as compared to hyunjin.

"hello, sir! i'm jeongin. we just moved next door! my parents are still settling in, and they sent me to give you this!" the boy, whose name is jeongin, said brightly. he motioned the plate of rice cakes closer to hyunjin, and then he put one of his hands out for a friendly handshake. "it's nice to meet you! what's your name?" jeongin tilted his head to the side slightly as he asked and as he waited to hyunjin to shake his hand.

hyunjin didn't even bother to answer. instead, he just grabbed the plate of rice cakes from jeongin's hold and lazily put it on the dining table. hyunjin didn't even bother to close the front door, leaving jeongin with a questioning look. "uh, sir?" hyunjin was almost back to his seat in the living room when jeongin called his attention once again. "sir, i was asking for your name..." jeongin peeked inside hyunjin's home, letting his voice fade as he watched hyunjin grab the remote and turn on the television again. jeongin was still standing by the front door.

"hyunjin," hyunjin said plainly, not even glancing towards jeongin's direction. "and don't call me sir. i'm not that much older than you are." jeongin pursed his lips as hyunjin's cold tone rang through his ears. jeongin could only nod, and he has to admit that he's a bit intimidated by hyunjin's presence, but after all his mother told him to go send some rice cakes and invited them over for a friendly dinner later tonight.

"uh, sir? i mean... hyunjin," jeongin spoke, and hyunjin grimaced. it's been so long since someone called his name ever so gently and softly like that. only seungmin was able to call his name like that, and having someone else call him like that made him miss even more. also the fact that jeongin and his family moved into seungmin's old home bothered him.

"uh, my mom wanted to invite you and your family for dinner later tonight," jeongin continued speaking as hyunjin kept quiet. "she says it's a nice way to get to know the people of the neighborhood. be there, okay! we'll be waiting! goodbye! see you later!" hyunjin turned his head to look at jeongin by the front door, and when he did, jeongin flashed yet another wide smile towards hyunjin and waved his hands. after which, jeongin did the courtesy of closing the front door, and then he ran off to their new home.

jeongin scrunched his nose as he walked towards their own front door. "what's wrong with him?" he asked himself as he thought of hyunjin's cold treatment. not being able to find an answer for his own question, jeongin just shrugged. "eh, maybe he was just having a bad day. i might as well befriend him during dinnertime tonight."