Chapter 1

just in case you’re feeling the same

Jinwoo was studying at a secluded corner of the Humanities building when Mino suddenly plopped down on seat opposite him.

"Hyung, I have this huge problem and I think you're the only one who can help. Would you go on a fake date with me?"

“I'm sorry, you need me to what?” Jinwoo stares at Mino in shock. It's almost unbelievable that Mino would be asking this to him, out of all people. But Jinwoo suddenly remembers that Mino would go to any length to get something he wants, and the request doesn't seem that ridiculous.

Still, that's on a Mino level. On a normal human being level, it was out of this world nonsensical.

”I’m sorry, I know it’s weird, But I sort of need you to date me for like, a month” Mino pleaded. “Maybe even just 2 weeks.”

"That question was rhetorical." Jinwoo narrowed his eyes at Mino. "For just a month? I'm assuming this for some kind of bet?"

"Not for a bet, but this girl in my major is getting really obsessed with me and no matter how many times I reject her, she still refuses to let go. It's driving me crazy. Please hyung, you gotta help me."

"Why me? I thought you said you're not gay."

"Exactly! I think me being gay will really shock her enough for her to let go."

Jinwoo continued staring at Mino in incredulity, the silence almost convincing Mino that this was a bad idea until Jinwoo burst out "Do you know how ridiculous your request is? Did you forget what happened 7 months ago?"

7 months ago:

Jinwoo and Mino had met in a module's group project. They had the same friends circle, where Jinwoo's roommate, Seunghoon was in the same dance crew as Mino, and Jinwoo's junior in the acapella club, Seungyoon, was in the same major as Mino. Still, they never really met properly until that module. Due to the intensity of the project, they often stayed up late nights at each other's dorms, rushing deadlines. Soon, Jinwoon developed a small crush on Mino.

When he confessed to Mino at the end of the module, Mino had politely rejected him by saying he wasn't into guys. It hurt, but Jinwoo had concluded that Mino wasn't intentionally leading him on and it was simply a one-sided crush. They remained friends, not particularly close, but still hanging out from time to time due to the same friends circle.

-

"Uhhhh I didn't. But hyung, this is exactly why this is so convincing. I’m sure you’re over me now. Aren’t we friends now? I would ask Seungyoon, but he’s crushing hard on some girl. Hoon and the other dance kids are such bad actors they’d be found out in an instant.”

Jinwoo looked at the pleading look in Mino's eyes. He had indeed gotten over his crush on Mino surprisingly quickly, since they hadn't seen each other a lot this semester due to the lack of shared classes. He was sure that he was completely over Mino, but still he wasn't sure if this was a good idea. Running his hands through his hair in frustration, Jinwoo let out a huge sigh.

"Let's say I'll help you, what do I get in return?"

"Ehhh?"

"There's nothing free in this world, my dear dongsaeng." Jinwoo smirked at Mino. "What, you think just because we have the same friends mean I'll readily help you?"

"Fine...what do you want?"

Before Jinwoo could reply, a notification pinged from Mino’s phone. "Oh , I think she's coming this way." Mino took one glance at his phone and swiftly shifted to the bench where Jinwoo was sitting, wrapping one arm around Jinwoo's waist while his hand cupped Jinwoo's face.

"What do you think you're-" Jinwoo's startled shout was muffled by Mino's lips, gently pressing against his own closed lips.

"Play along, please." Jinwoo felt Mino's lips move against him, more than hearing him. When Mino's hand finally let go of his face, Jinwoo turned around to see a girl staring daggers at him.

"Sorry, Ji Ah, but I already told you I’m gay and I have a boyfriend. This is Jinwoo." Mino's arm tightened around Jinwoo's waist.

"Oppa, you-, you-, you're too cruel." The girl ran away, crying.

Once the girl was out of sight, both of them let out big sighs of relief.

"So, that kiss do anything for you?" Mino’s teasing shook Jinwoo to reality, reminding him that Mino still had his arm around his waist.

Jinwoo shoved Mino hard. "What the hell do you think you're doing, you crazy person!" Jinwoo rubbed his lips vigorously, as if to erase the trace of Mino. "We haven't even agreed to anything!"

"Fine, I'll do whatever you want. Anything, hyung."

“I really want to be better at dancing. The auditions for the Little Prince musical is coming up, and I really really want the lead. I would ask Hoon but he’s way too busy with his classes. Also-“

“Also?! You have more than one request?!”

Jinwoon originally only wanted to elaborate on the musical, but seeing Mino’s annoyance at his requests, Jinwoo decided mess a little with Mino.

“Do you want my help or not?” Seeing Mino’s silence, Jinwoo went on. “I think your friend Jinhoon is kinda cute? You could get me a date with him. He’s single right, and I heard, bi?”

“You want a date with Jinhoon?!” Jinwoo’s glare grew, leading to Mino to cower a little. A pissed off Jinwoo was kind of scary. “Fine, fine, since he’s been saying he wanted to meet someone new anyway.”

 Jinwoo glanced in the direction were the girl had ran off, "Are you sure this is a good idea? She seems really hurt. Do we even have to continue this?"

"Don't get fooled, my dear naive hyung. She's vicious.” Mino shudders. “She has been following me around for a month already, I can’t catch a break. She will definitely follow me around to confirm this. Let’s just start with 2 weeks.”

“2 weeks ugh fine. You’re paying for all our dates. And you better bring to some fancy restaurants! Also, don’t ever kiss me without permission.” Jinwoo jabbed a finger in Mino’s chest.

Mino simply raised his eyebrow, “C’mon hyung I know you liked it.”

“Remind how did I ever like you?” Jinwoo rolled his eyes.  “Ok so how should we do this?”

“I’m thinking some dates around campus, like 3 times a week? Like eating lunch or dinner together if we are both free. Maybe I’ll even walk you to class! Or you walk me.”

“Then I better get 3 dance classes a week.”

“Damn, hyung, you drive a hard bargain. Alright.”

-

After his morning class, Jinwoo was surprised to see Mino waiting outside his lecture theatre.

“Isn’t our date at 6pm tonight?” They had texted and set up a timing for their first ‘date’ yesterday night, which was a dinner and joining the movies club’s open-air cinema at 6pm.

“How can I wait until 6pm to see you? Let’s go to lunch together!” Mino stretches his arms out to Jinwoo, eyes darting frantically to the left. From afar, Jinwoo could make out the girl from yesterday, Ji Ah starting at them.

Jinwoo plastered a bright smile on face and hugged Mino, loudly announcing “Aww my boyfriend is so sweet”.

“See, I told you she still be following. At least she’s doing it from a distance now.” Mino whispers.

Jinwoo gives a tiny nod, trying to ignore his slight quickening of heartbeat when he felt Mino’s breath on his ear. It’s just the adrenaline of a fake relationship, he tells himself.

“Sorry, I knew we said dinner, but she actually confronted me after class and accused me of having a fake boyfriend to drive her off.” After Ji Ah was safely out of sight, Mino explained his sudden appearance.

“Wow, she is scarily acute.”

“See, that’s what I said! That’s why I came to see you right away.”

“I was going to have lunch with Seunghoon anyway.

“Does he know?”

“I didn’t say anything. Should we tell him?”

“Nah, one less person knowing means less chances of Ji Ah knowing. She has skills like a FBI agent.”

“How is Hoon going to buy us suddenly dating? He knows about the incident 7 months ago.”

“What?! You told him?!” Mino yelps in surprise.

“Being rejected isn’t the greatest feeling in the world and I needed to vent.” Jinwoo raises an eyebrow at Mino, who thankfully looked a little embarrassed.

“Well, we can just tell him I finally realise how gorgeous and nice you were, and college is all about exploring and stuff, so I asked you out. I mean, it doesn’t just take a gay guy to know you are good-looking, hyung.” Mino’s voice turned all serious, leading Jinwoo to feel a little flustered.

“Ha ha nice flattering. Keep it up, boyfriend!” Jinwoo gave Mino a thumbs-up, trying to lighten the mood and hide the fluttering he feels in his chest. Luckily, Mino only grinned at him, and then, grabbed his hand.

“We are nearing the dining hall, hyung. It’s showtime!”

-

 “Hyunggg, what took you so long! And why is Mino here, I thought-“ Seunghoon stops abruptly upon seeing Jinwoo and Mino’s entwined hands.

“What is that? Since when? What?!!” Seunghoon pointed accusingly at their hands, eyes growing big.

“I realised how gorgeous and nice Jinwoo is, and I couldn’t stop thinking about him since last semester, and you know the incident, ah I was really stupid!!! I mean, college is all about exploring and gender shouldn’t matter right? So I was reluctant to confess until yesterday when I finally got the courage to and Jinwoo hyung luckily agreed to go out me.” Mino gushed.

Jinwoo blushed and hit Mino lightly on the arm, while internally remarking at his own great acting skills. He even let out an embarrassed laugh while he gazed adoringly (as much as he could muster) at Mino.

“Jinwoo hyung, are you sure about this guy? Absolutely, 100% sure?” Seunghoon narrowed his eyes at Mino.

“Are you even my friend, Seunghoon hyung?” Mino grumbled.

“You! I didn’t even know you were into guys. Of course I gotta protect Jinwoo hyung, he’s my babyyyyy.” Seunghoon declared the last sentence with a flourish, getting several passer-by looks. Jinwoo simply shook his head at his roommate’s antics.

“I mean, he’s still good-looking as last time, doesn’t hurt to try, right?” Jinwoo turned to look at Mino again, who, surprisingly grew slightly bashful under Jinwoo’s gaze.

“Is that a slight blush I see, oh my god, Mino you are really whipped already!” Seunghoon let out a loud laughter, earning him a slight kick from Mino.