Chapter 1

Roommates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I sighed as I pulled my hair to one side of my head then looked down at my phone, reading the article about my groups’ recent album having one of the lowest ratings yet. It’s been 2 years since we’ve debuted and we’ve done terrible. You could say that we’re a one hit wonder. Our debut song was a smash hit, but not really any of our other songs have done well since then. Only our hardcore fans appreciate our recent album. We’ve been receiving tons of comments left on our fan cafés and other social media networks to just disband and quit wasting people’s time and money. These comments have gotten much worse with the performances of our title track never making it very high on the music shows like Music Bank or The Show.

Because of these comments, my members and I have started to work extra hard to prove that we’re really trying to make our careers come to fruition, but they’ve just all slowly lost hope in the group and then conversations bringing up the possibility have come more often. I’m not technically the leader of my group, Moonlit Flight, but with all of this I’ve been acting more and more like it. The actual leader, Choi Mimi, has kind of just stepped down from the role without saying anything. And with me living with my new roommates, I’ve been so much more stressed because I never have the time to stop by our dorm to try and figure something out due to having interviews, practice, and other types of work to do. I had a passion for composing and writing songs back when we debuted and actually composed and wrote our debut song, but haven’t been able to find the time to do it since then. About 2 months ago I had started to learn different techniques and such from different trainees in my company who had a great talent for it.

However, with all this stress and a full schedule, I’ve been coming home to the Roommate house later than usual. A couple times Dong Wook and Se Ho would wait up for me like they do for Bom, but a lot of the time, I don’t get home until after 6 am so they don’t see the point in doing it anymore. Well, that and Dong Wook is busy filming his drama all the time.

My days usually consisted of getting up for work at 8 am and working until 5 am and getting home around 6 and sleeping 2 hours to repeat the process. On my days off, I’m so exhausted from working that I sleep soundly for quite a while, causing Sung Woo to often wake me up for breakfast, or Chanyeol to come convince me to get up and go outside when he isn’t busy. It seems like they are the ones always lifting my damp spirits.

Today, Soo Hyun, Chanyeol, Ga Yeon, and I decided to go grocery shopping considering the barren state of our kitchen. It’s been about a month that I’ve lived with them and I guess Chanyeol is the closest friend I have, purely due to us having similar schedules and even though EXO is doing extremely better than my group, he seems to understand what my group is going through. Although Bom is in the same boat as well. We both get home late from our busy schedules, but in this entire month, I think I’ve talked to her a total of 3 times. She’s just not an easy person for me to talk to. It might be the fact that she’s my sunbae or just the fact that I’m truly jealous of how well 2ne1 is doing. It might just be the fact that 2ne1 and BIGBANG are such big names in this industry that I could never be able to talk to either of those YG artists when I run across them at music programs and such.

“You alright, unnie?” Ga Yeon asked from beside me. I nodded and smiled shyly up at her. I haven’t been able to get close to her either. I’ve just been so exhausted when I’m home that I can’t strike up a conversation with the MMA fighter. It seems that I’m the only one who doesn’t know much about her as I’ve caught her talking to all of them at least once. I would like to talk to her as we’re roommates, and she seems like such a nice girl, but I just haven’t found the time due to her being sound asleep and snoring when I get home. Honestly, it’d just be nice to talk to someone who could understand the pressure. I don’t really want to talk about it with Chanyeol due to his group being so much more popular. Plus, who knows what the viewers would think if I expressed how exhausted I am from trying so hard, but getting nowhere. A lot of people have expressed that they don’t understand how we managed to stay active for these last two years considering how unpopular we were. Alright that’s enough complaining about how “hard” my life is.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter