Neighbor

Apartment C12

January 12, 2015 (5:30 p.m)

It was 2014 when Jimin moved into room C13, he didn't expect to get so attached to Mrs.Wong. Who coincidently looked so much like his own grandmother. Her kind and warm being was what he looked forward to many mornings. Seeing her feed cats by the apartment complex wasn't rare, the meows at night kept him up sometimes but he learned to deal. If Mrs.Wong didn't mind then he'd just ignore the sounds for her sake.

Mrs.Wong now had a service dog by her side as she limped from one corner to the next, desperately trying to offer the tall moving men some milk and cookies. Of course they'd decline with their boss only steps away, packing boxes.

 

 

So now, with a glass of milk in one hand and a cookie in the other, Jimin pet her other dog, Ginger, who tried to snap at his cookie. Her service dog only looked at Mrs.Wong's swollen face.

"You enjoying the cookies dear?" She asked as the moving men drove away, a weak smile forming. It wasn't as if she was looking for an actual answer. She wanted to find peace.

Jimin nodded anway, watching as she stopped her smiles. He gripped her waist tightly as they went back up the stairs (screw the land lord for declining the elevator offer). Once they made it, she opened the door painfully slow. Jimin followed her as she continued to limp inside. The only noise being her dogs claws tapping at the ground. Both dogs sat and the moment of silence became emotional. 

Mrs.Wong shook her head as she reached into her pocket for the key, placing it in the middle of the room where her carpet used to lay. Jimin could feel the cookies bubbling in his stomach. "I'm really going to miss it here."

Jimin looked down at the key, "I'm sure this place is going to miss you too, the  people all around here..especially the cats." He said the last part quietly, a bit humorly annoyed. Mrs.Wong finally let out a genuine laugh and Jimin laugh along with the contagious atmosphere. 

The dogs seemed to get excited too as they started barking. 

Mrs.Wong patted her dogs and let them guide her with a nostalgic smile on her face. He stood still, staring at the key from a distance. The very same keys with a bandage strapped around it, this was Jimin’s bandage. The Anpanman charm was no longer strapped around it, making him smile a little wider, at least she kept that.

Before finally exiting, he knocks at the thin wall. He remembers being able to hear her knock at this wall whenever she wanted him over to try eat her food. Such deliciousness could possibly never meet his pallet again.

The strange constant barking of her dogs brushed his thoughts away.

"Looks like they're really going to miss it here too. Even Patty, though she's only been with us for a few days." 

They continued barking. Ginger letting out a howl,Jimin's never heard before, as they drove off to the nursing home. He's glad he promised to visit, and he's glad he got her numbers. 

"I know there's three numbers but just try each one until you reach me. I even made Twitter just in case! It's I written somewhere there too." is what she said. 

There were no tears. Yet, the feeling in his heart made him want to crawl into a basket of pillows. He needed something soft, life is just too hard.

 

April 12, 2015 (2:54 p.m)

Jimin's been working long hours lately, he blames that for not keeping track of anything. The creaking sound of Mrs.Wong's late floor reminds him.

Someone's finally moved in.

He heard his neighbors whispering about it for a few weeks now, he doesn't know why it's taken so long for this person to finally move in. From the sound of everything, seems like this person didn't have much heavy furniture. There were only small noises here and there.

Thank goodness it wasn't a new forming family. He has no idea what he would have done if he woke from a baby crying every night. Even the thought was dreadful. Knowing it might be just one person moving in makes him calm. He sips on his lemonade, sinking into his couch.

They might have moved in right before his shift ended. For that, he was thankful. He can finally catch up on some sleep.

 

 

July 13, 2016 (12:03 a.m)

It's been a year and he hasn't seen his neighbor once since the noises started. It was yesterday  that he noticed the sounds coming from C12 sounding very..different. The casual guitar strings and tuning haven't been heard, the foot steps were off, the sound of an occasional trip or dropping of something shard completely stopped. You know that distinctive sound of anime music? You just know it's an anime. Yeah, that completely stopped too.

The only sign of someone living there was when the light by the door would turn on after Jimin's night shift. 

He remembers going up the stairs with his friend Hoseok and the light flickering on and off when they both made it at the beginning of the hall. It didn't help that they both caught the door a little open.

Hoseok looked at Jimin as to say,"Ah, so this is what you meant."

The lights stopped flickering, silence ensued. Both Hoseok and Jimin looked at eachother again and then at the slightly open door where someone could possibly be looking back. The crack was so tiny, so so dark.

The flickering started again but the silence didn't stop. 

Jimin opened his mouth to say something, the slam of the door shutting him off.

It didn't help that big chicken Hoseok let out a manly shriek.

 

They both step foot into Jimin's apartment in hurry, Hoseok pushing him to the side and locking the door.

"My heart is beating so ing fast. I'm sorry i made fun of you earlier.God, you didn't say he was creepy you should have warned me." He sat on the couch beside Jimin.

"News to me too..jesus ."

"What do you mean?"

Jimin sighed, "I mean, that was my first encounter with the neighbor."

Hoseok was shocked, "what?! You..haven't met him? Hasnt he been here for like a little over a year now?" Jimin stood silent. "That's really," Hoseok looked at the door "that's just really odd."

"Yeah I know. When he first moved in it wasn't so bad, he even played acoustic guitar and watched anime. It wasn't even the action anime it was Your Lie in April I know it was." Jimin walked over to his light switch, turning on the light outside.

 click

wait.

clickclick click click click

did his neighbors switch make this noise?

"So ing odd." Jimin switched it once more.

 

January 1, 2018 (11:00 a.m)

The neighborhood's been pretty peaceful recently. No creaky bed sounds from next door, no foot steps, no light flicker, just solid light. To be frank, Jimin stopped worrying about it. Even stopped thinking about it. All he really worried about was putting enough hours in to make some extra cash. And of course, with his boss being a total sweetheart, he's been able to make more than a dent onto his goal. 

Life was pretty alright. He even got to perform at a showcase with real people. He was just very pleased. 

Which is why he decided to walk over to his grumpy landlord painting the complex on his floor. He gladly took Jimin's offer and handed him a paintbrush. It was probably the chemicals in the paint talking but he suddenly got much more curious about apartment C12.

"So uhh.." he tried to sound as confident s possible."he's really something right?"

"Who?"

"Apartment C12. Tsk, he even gave my friend a scare around a year ago. Kind of scared me too. He's been rather quiet lately though."

This caused the owner to laugh, saliva spraying onto Jimin’s bare arm.

"What? C12?" He continued his laughter.

Jimin will never forget the words that left the man's mouth, his mouth was tight, he eyes wide.

 

"No one's lived there for years."

 

"..what?"

 

Laughter, "the last tenant left around 2015 after a few months of moving in. Yeah I remember him. Jeon Jungkook. After that no one has taken the place."

 

"No one's. ..what?"

"You okay, kid? You dropped your brush."

 

The knocking behind his wall was anything but comforting that night.

 

Today

 

 

At first, Jimin thought there just had to be a logical explanation. He tried to sleep it off but that just replayed the light flickering and door slamming event in his head.

He told Hoseok about this and all he did was make it worse. Coming up with stupid theories about ghosts haunting him, demons slowly away at his soul. No thank you, Jimin would like to keep his soul, thank you very much.

There was just way too many  connections with this "case". Logic was completely out of the question at this point.

Patty and Ginger barking, knocks, silent flickering lights, door slamming, no human figure (?). It just didn't make sense, but it did. There is definitely someone... something there and honestly it seemed anything but friendly. Jimin would love to just knock at the door and  politely tell whatever is there to go away but that wasn't going to happen. After everything? Yeah, no he rather just play detective.

 

 

 

Luckily, whatever lives there has been very quiet tonight. Jimin doesn't know when he last had such a comfortable feeling around him, but right now that didn't seem to matter. There was no sound and  the feeling of fear didn't intrude. It was just him and his drowsy thoughts. 

It was pitch black and he swears he felt himself grow alittle colder. He pulled at the blanket close to his face, snuggling against the sheets. 

"Nng"

Jimin quickly opened his eyes, the feeling of comfort long fogotten. And there stood a boy who was in just much shock as he was. He wanted to scream but the tightening against his chest prohibited it. He sees the boys face, clear as day, his blond hair practically creating a glow, his eyes sharp and round from shock, hand gripping at the end of his sheets.

He can see the boys eyes begin to shake, his mouth now closed and he just..fades away into the wall, right into apartment C12.