4th of July.....

Forever Young

Bobby sat on the bench in front of gym. His head down and his eyes staring blankly at the ground. There wasn’t practice today since his coach wanted to spend July 4th with his family but Bobby wanted to shoot some hoops. Just to get things off his mind. So he waited until someone would open the door for him. 

 

 

“What are you doing!” Jisoo said wrapping an arm around Bobby. He turned his head away, not wanting her to see his face. He hated it, making Jisoo worry about him. 

 

Jisoo grew suspicious. Why was Bobby acting all weird? 

 

“Hey.” He said forcing himself to sound happy. She grabbed his face and turned him towards her. A band aid was placed beside his mouth. Jisoo saw the unhid-able bruise on his cheek. It hurt her so much to see Bobby like this but she had to hold back from doing anything. 

 

 

*Flashback*

 

 

“Do you know how much money I lost because of you?!” Bobby’s dad shouted.

 

“Sorry..” Bobby said under his breath. 

His dad loosened up his tie and ruffled his hair in frustration. He signaled Bobby to come closer with his hands and punched him across the face.

 

“Sorry?!” He shouted in disbelief and added a couple of punches. Bobby felt dizzy due to impact of the punch. He felt a sharp stinging pain between his eyes. He could hear and feel his heart beating in his ears. His vision slowly becoming tunneled as each punch is landed on him. His father’s face became unclear, as if he were someone else. He holds his cheek as a fine line of blood runs down his nails. Bobby dropped onto the ground, whimpering and crumbled up as a well aimed kick from his father came in contact with his lower abdomen. He curled up into a ball. Using his arms to defend his head. Every blow sent a sharp searing jolt of pain through his body. 

 

“Don’t come home tonight.” His dad said and walked away. All Bobby could hear was the mumbles of his father. He had a faint view of him driving away. 

 

 

“Bobby!!!” Jisoo shouted at the top of her lungs. His face was covered in blood and his clothes an utter mess. In one shattered moment Jisoo’s heart and breathing stopped, just stop. Bobby’s eyes were almost shut with swelling. His arms wrapped around his guts like he’s holding them in. Her eyes widened and her bottom lip trembled. Her eyes walked from one injury to another, taking everything in. Her hands were shaking from how afraid she was. 

 

“I’m calling the ambulance.” She said barely managing to take out her phone. 

 

“D-don’t” Bobby begged. His voice was all wrong like he’s speaking while being choked. Slowly, he raised his hands and grabbed Jisoo’s wrist. 

 

“What do you mean don’t?! Do you want me to let you die here!” Jisoo argued and began dialing. Bobby’s grip grew more firm, no difference from when he first placed his hands on her. 

 

“P...p..please Jisoo. They’ll arrest my dad” 

 

Her eyes drip with tears. The walls that held her up, make her strong just.... collapse. The salty drops fell and drenched her shirt. 

 

*End Of Flashback*

 

 

 

“When will this stop?” Jisoo swallowed the lump behind . She squeezed her shirt to help from breaking down. Whenever this happened the only thing she could do was run away from the problem. It’s what Bobby wanted. 

 

“I’m alright.” Bobby let out a small chuckle but she saw right through his lie. 

 

“This is alright?!” She pressed her thumb against the bruise on his cheek. Causing him to groan in pain. “Are you going to live like this forever?” She added.

 

“Are you going to live like this forever?Jichu.” Bobby joked. Referring to her pikachu keychain. It doesn’t matter if it’s a pair of underwear or a toy. If it’s Pikachu, Jisoo had to have it.

 

“You know how much I love Pikachu.” Jisoo argued. 

 

“I envy Pikachu.” Bobby said. 

 

“Stop joking around.” Jisoo replied. 

 

“Are you doing anything tonight?” Bobby asked. 

 

“Nope.” Jisoo answered. 

 

“You want to go watch fireworks with me? I heard there’s a cruise ship at 6-11 and I was thinking we could go on the ship and watch them.” Bobby explained. He knew Jisoo’s parents would be too busy to spend July 4th with her so he planned everything beforehand. 

 

“That sounds really fun! Let’s invite Jennie and Hanbin.” Jisoo suggested. 

 

“U-uh Hanbin is busy.” Bobby said. Truth is, he wanted it to be just them two but knew he couldn’t say anything to change Jisoo’s mind. 

 

“Oh alright well it could just be the three of us then.” She said while unlocking her phone to text Jennie. 

 

“Right...” Bobby said under his breath. 

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

“Yeah I’m taking her to this cruise ship. Supposedly it’s a better view of the fireworks. I plan on kissing her, girls like that stuff and then bam! She’ll be mine again. Easy as pie.” Jaebum explained. 

 

Hanbin was a couple of steps behind Jaebum and his friends. He overheard a little of their conversation. “She’ll be mine again, easy as pie” was all he heard. Hanbin didn’t care for gossips so he chose to ignore it. 

 

“Hey!” Jaebum shouted. 

 

Hanbin gave him a cold stare. “What?” 

 

“Do you know where Jennie is?” He asked.

 

“What makes you think I know that?” Hanbin said narrowing his eyebrows into a straight line. 

 

“Aren’t you her friend?” Jaebum chuckled. He thought Hanbin’s attitude was distasteful but he believed they were friends and pretended to be kind.

 

“We’re not friends.” Hanbin answered.

 

“Well if you see her tell her that we have to talk!” Jaebum shouted while Hanbin was walking away. 

 

“Bastard, thinks he’s all that.” Jaebum said. 

 

“Let it be man.” His friends said patting him on the back. 

 

~~~~~~

 

 

 

Jennie’s POV 

I saw Hanbin walking across the campus. Why does he look so cold? I was a little intimidated by him. 

 

“Hey.” Jaebum said snapping me back into reality. 

 

“Hey” I replied. 

 

“I was looking for you. I even asked your friend but he said you guys weren’t friends?” 

 

“Who?” I asked

 

“The Guy you were with when I first arrived in Seoul.” Jaebum explained. 

 

“Hanbin?”

 

“If that’s his name then yes.” 

 

Ouch.. I thought we were friends but I guess I thought wrong. To be honest I was a little angry. Why would he talk to me as a friend then? Why would he joke around with me as a friend? Cold bastard.. 

 

“Ahh.. no we’re not friends.” I said

 

“Oh well, today’s July 4th and if you aren’t doing anything let’s go watch some fireworks? There’s this cruise ship we can go on.” Jaebum asked. 

 

“Oh..” I replied feeling a bit uneasy. I felt bad for not giving him a straight forward answer but I get really bad seasickness. He probably doesn’t remember since it’s been a long time.. 

 

“Oh?” He said sounding confused. 

 

“You forgot... I’ll get sick.” I explained.

 

“Even if it’s just for a little? I really want to make it up to you and I had everything sorted out.” 

 

Awww.. he even made plans? I can’t say no to that.. I know I’m going to regret this. 

 

“I guess going for a little while won’t hurt.” I said. His mood quickly changed, the smile of his grew wider. 

 

“It starts at 6, I’ll see you then!” Jaebum said handing me the ticket. I watched him walk away while waving bye to me. How did we turn out like this anyway? I hated his guts and now I’m reconciling with him? 

 

 

“Hey let’s go on a cruise tonight with Bobby.” Jisoo said popping it of no where. I was startled since I haven’t told her about Jaebum and I. Gosh I’m such a bad friend.. if I say no to her she’ll think something is up but if I say yes, what will I do with Jaebum?! Ughh! I’m losing my mind. 

 

“Cruise?” I asked.

 

“Yeah for the fireworks. It’ll just be us since Hanbin can’t make it.” Jisoo explained. 

 

“He can’t?” 

 

“Bobby said he was busy.” 

 

“Alright I’ll go.” I said. I was mentally smacking myself in the face. How am I going to be with them and be with Jaebum? Damn it Jennie you did this to yourself.

 

“Bobby knows the Captain so don’t worry, we’re going to be anchored down somewhere so you won’t get seasick.” Jisoo explained. 

 

“Why are you better than men?” I said receiving a finger heart from her. 

 

“What should I wear?” She asked.

 

“Ouuuu you’re dressing up for Bobby?” I teased. 

 

“Of course not! I’m trying to look good just Incase there are cute boys.” Jisoo quickly defended. 

 

“Mhmmm” I continued teasing her. 

 

End of POV 

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

There were a few knocks at the door and Hanbin got up from the couch to open it. 

 

“Hanbin!” Hanbyul said wrapping her arms onto Hanbin’s waist. 

 

“Mom?” Hanbin said. His mom raised a bag up. Inside the bag was a lunch box filled with Hanbin’s favorite foods. 

 

“I cooked you some food and Hanbyul wanted to come see you.” She explained. Hanbin looked down at Hanbyul to see her smiling. He placed his hand on her head and ruffled her hair. 

 

“Can you go with us to the cruise ship today?” Hanbyul asked.  

 

“Ah,-“ 

 

“Hanbin can’t go, he’s very busy with school.” His mom said cutting him off. 

 

“But he’s always busy with school! He never has time to play with me!” Hanbyul complained. 

 

“Hanbyul, we talked about this.” His mom got down to Hanbyul’s level and held her hand. “Now come on, your brother has to study.” She added but Hanbyul refused to let go of Hanbin. 

 

“I want to see the fireworks with you” Hanbyul said. She pouted her lips and stared at the ground. Hanbin felt bad for Hanbyul. As her brother he was useless and couldn’t even enjoy the fireworks with her. He wanted to be there for Hanbyul, seeing how she was acting right now. He didn’t want her to grow up without a brother. 

 

“I’m sorry Hanbyul.. I’m afraid I’m too busy.” Hanbin got on one knee and wrapped his arms Hanbyul.

 

“I wish you weren’t busy all the time... I’m always playing alone.” Hanbyul said under her breath. 

 

“Come on honey, we have to get your hair done.” Hanbin’s mom said while pulling Hanbyul off of Hanbin. 

 

 

Hanbin closed the door behind him and watched as they drove off. 

 

Jennie and Jisoo walked up the steps. Hanbin’s eyes immediately switched to Jennie. 

 

“Hanbin, are you really too busy for tonight?” Jisoo asked. 

 

“Yeah...” Hanbin answered. Jennie glared at him. Making him confused to why she was looking at him like that. 

 

“Studying?” Jisoo joked. 

 

“No it’s something else.” He lied.

 

“He’s too good for people who aren’t his friends.” Jennie said coldly and headed inside her dorm. So that’s why she’s acting this way, he must’ve told her. Hanbin thought. 

 

“I don’t know what’s up with her but have fun and stay safe.” Jisoo said and entered the dorm. 

 

 

~~~~~~

 

 

“What was that?” Jisoo asked.

 

“Nothing.” Jennie replied coldly. 

 

“Did something happen between you two?” Jisoo said narrowing her eyebrows down at Jennie. 

 

“Of course not, we’re not friends.” Jennie said. 

 

“Really? I thought you two were?” Jisoo asked. 

 

“I thought so too.” Jennie opened her closet and began picking out an outfit for tonight. 

 

“So something did happen?” Jisoo asked again.

 

“It’s nothing.” Jennie said throwing a lump of clothes onto her bed. 

 

“Let me borrow this shirt for tonight!” Jisoo said checking herself out in the mirror. 

 

“Go for it.” 

 

“Do you think it suits me?” 

 

“Bobby doesn’t care what you wear.” Jennie teased. 

 

“I-I said this isn’t for Bobby!!” Jisoo argued. 

 

“You look good with everything I don’t know why you feel the need to ask.” Jennie explained. 

 

“Aww Jendeukie!” Jisoo said doing aegyo. 

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Hanbin’s POV

What’s with her stare? Seriously. I tied up the garbage bag and walked outside to throw it out. 

 

“Yeah you owe me cash after this. I told you I could get her back. She’s so easily swayed by everything.” 

 

The voice sounded familiar. I tossed the trash bag into the dumpster and saw that it was Jaebum. I had a minor flashback of what him and his friends were talking about earlier. It must’ve been about Jennie.. I dusted my hands off and saw Jennie outside of her dorm searching through her purse. I took this chance to approach her. 

 

“You’re going with Jaebum?” I asked. She looked up at me with a cold glare. 

 

“It’s none of your business.” She answered. 

 

“I thought you were going with Bobby and Jisoo?” I asked. From the looks of it, it seems she hasn’t told Jisoo about him. 

 

“Can I ask why you’re questioning me? It’s not like we’re friends or anything.” 

 

I cleared my throat and looked at her. “Have fun.” I said and walked away. She was right, it’s not like we’re friends. So why should I worry? 

 

~~~~~

 

A couple of hours passed by and what Jaebum said lingered on my mind. It was already 7 o’clock. My fingers were tapping against my phone. I found myself getting more anxious as the minutes pass by. Screw it. I grabbed my jacket and and hurried out the door. I ran down the steps and entered my car, quickly starting the engine. There was no way I could let her get hurt. No one should go through the pain, twice. I went through it a couple of times and each time killed me. I can’t believe I was really leaving my house on July 4th. I began sweating while driving to the stupid cruise ship. It was getting darker and I knew they were going to shoot the fireworks soon. The sound of traffic grew faint and my mind was now elsewhere. 

 

 

~~~~~ 

 

I purchased a ticket and a boarded the ship. I have to find her before anything happens. 

 

“Hey! Watch where you’re going!” A man yelled as I was passing through. I didn’t have time to apologize and just continued rushing through the crowd. This ship is packed with so many people it was hard to tell who was who. I felt a little dizzy and my eyes wandered around not knowing where I was. 

 

“Hanbin?” Bobby said landing a hand on my shoulder. 

 

“Where’s Jennie?!” I asked. 

 

“She went to the bathroom. What are you doing? You can’t be here right now.” Bobby whispered. 

 

“I know I know, i’ll explain everything later.” I said moving towards the bathrooms. 

 

 

“They’re going to shoot the fireworks in 20 minutes!” Bobby shouted. I only had 20 minutes to find Jennie. This ship was filled with at least 500 people. How the hell am I going to find her?! 

 

I walked up to a familiar figure that looked like Jennie. I felt relieved and tapped her on the shoulder. 

 

“May I help you?” The lady said. 

 

“I’m sorry. I’m looking for someone.” I apologized and ruffled my hair in frustration. “Where the hell are you Jennie?” I said under my breath. 

 

 

“I thought you were busy?” 

 

I turned around to see Jennie with her arms crossed. Oh thank god! I rushed towards her. 

 

“Don’t hang around Jaebum.” I demanded. 

 

“I can hang out with whoever I want to.” She replied coldly. I expected that, considering how she’s been acting today.

 

“Jennie please. You don’t understand.” I said desperately. 

 

“Why do you care who I hangout with? Are we friends?” She argued. 

 

“That doesn’t matter! You need to go with Bobby and Jisoo.”

 

“I don’t have time for this.” She turned around and began walking away. I looked at my watch. 5 minutes until the fireworks were going to be shot.. I grabbed her arm and turned her around. 

 

“Why would I come all the way down here to tell you this? Fine, I said you and I weren’t friends because it was true. Plus I wasn’t sure if you thought of me as a friend. I’m sorry I said that... I’m sensitive when it comes to stuff like this.” I explained. 

 

Before she could answer fireworks were being shot up in the sky. The rumbling sound reminded me of being in the shed. As the kids shot fireworks around it scaring me. My brain was scattered of flashbacks of me being in the shed. All I could hear were the popping sounds of the fireworks and laughter that rang in my head. I fell onto the ground and covered my ears in fear. I couldn’t breath, it felt like I was being choked. My heart was racing and all I could do was curl up into a ball and hide my eyes. I shut them tightly not letting one peek slip. I saw myself in that dark shed curled up in the corner. 

 

 

“Hanbin! What’s wrong!!?” I heard Jennie’s voice in a distant but it sounded unclear to me. I squeezed my ears shut with all my strength. I felt her hands slither on top of mind and replaced my ear drum with the sound of music. It was a sweet melody of the guitar being strummed back and forth. All I could hear was the music. It cleared up my thoughts and I slowly opened my eyes to see her staring at me. I felt safe beside her. She didn’t try to mouth any words to me but instead sat there and stare at me. I could tell she was asking me if I was okay with her eyes. My heart was still pacing for some unknown reason.