final.

My reputation's never been worse | Kim Jongdae
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jongdae trudges through corn covered fields, the tiniest droplets of sweat gleaming against his rough elven skin. His cursed short legs don't get him far very fast, but he has the stamina and mediocre magic to make up for it, even if others don't believe it amounts to much. He's got a damn estate to reclaim and if risking his life and rescuing a so-called princess helps him in doing so, then so be it.

Sure, the small plot of land isn't much, but for Jongdae, it's the only place he's ever been able to properly call home.

It's not easy—pushing through the endless rows of starch and carbs. Each laboring sound of a crunch underfoot with each step; it’s draining but Jongdae perseveres nonetheless. Not only does the white noise of shoe against vegetable irk his over heightened senses, but the obnoxious grey donkey named Baekhyun who makes sure to fill in any silence that envelops the pair of delinquents is also just as obnoxious.

Jongdae wouldn't say he hated the company of the other...creature, but he definitely didn't welcome it. Countless times Jongdae has lost his nerve and snapped, stopping to scold the other.

Jongdae has to give it to him though—most who'd met him, either cowered in fear from first glance or laughed at the mere sight of a tiny little elf roaming the forests without a colony. Baekhyun seemed ecstatic to have met Jongdae though, thanking him in his own strange way by his hooves and trotting around in circles. Jongdae wasn't sure if it was due to him being a talking donkey or just because of the fact that Baekhyun obviously wasn't right in some places.

He's shrugged off the fact that this trip wouldn't be a quiet one and much to his chagrin, Baekhyun caught up to him, his voice gradually growing louder as the distance closed between them. Baekhyun found it harder than Jongdae as he only had hooves to create any form of a berth through the field which is why he kept falling behind and the elf was minorly relieved because of this.

"You—know—" Baekhyun speaks between small pants, "—when we get—back to the—forest." He halts to stomp on the next stalk, "we can room together—right?"

"No," comes the blunt reply. Jongdae doesn’t even hesitate.

"But—we're such a good team!" Baekhyun proclaims in protest, hooves trampling over vegetation.

Jongdae rolls his eyes. The mere thought of living with Baekhyun gives him more of a  headache that he is already sporting. He doesn't even want to entertain the idea. "Baekhyun. We met this morning because you were being locked up by little Lord Luhan's merry good-doers. This," he gestures to the both of them, one hand waving between the space between them, "this is a business thing. Once we're done with this, we go our separate ways and the deal’s done."

"Wow, way to kill the mood," Baekhyun mutters, pouting.

"I'm a damned half-breed," Jongdae tells him, a bitter edge to his tone. "Don't expect anything else.

 

-

 

 

-

 

When the castle finally comes into view a feeling of relief floods through Jongdae. Despite the fact that it is placed in the middle of jagged mountains with dangerously sharp steeples and boiling lava acting as some sort of dug around barrier, Jongdae can’t wait to get in, take the princess (if she was even there) and return to his forest.

Even Baekhyun, who seems to have the energy of a sprite fairy seems to have deflated over the journey which has lasted two very long and painful days. He didn’t even look up when their destination came into sight and Jongdae had to throw a pebble at his ear to gain his attention.

"Baek's awake! I'm here! What's happening?" The creature screams, looking up with a bizarre look in his eyes. He blinks.

Jongdae decides not to question it and only points to the ancient structure of the castle, which appears suspended above the mountains. It almost looks like some fortress in one of those fairytales. Baekhyun's eyes light up for a fraction of a second before his mouth finally gets to work again.

"I—Dae, is it really? Are we finally there?" Baekhyun doesn’t actually give him time to answer though as he prances around in his silly circles again, the bottoms of his hooves. Jongdae grimaces at the sight and regret starts creeping in when the donkey doesn’t shut up.

"I'm so happy! Ugh, I thought my toes were gonna fall off from all that walking!”

“You don’t have toes,” Jongdae utters under his breath.

Baekhyun continues, completely ignorant of the remark. “I don't know how people can go on long journeys like that! I was almost regretting coming with you!”

I wish you didn't come, Jongdae thinks as he kicks at a nearby pebble absentmindedly. Baekhyun babbles on and the words go right over the other's head. The once vegetation underfoot crunch had evolved as they'd passed through the outskirts of the Kahoran lands and entered into the wilderness that stretched between Kahoran and Yelund, a neighboring city, home to the eastern mountain range even though the range was a great distance from the city. They'd passed through dry desert land, a lush green forest, slick wet swamp—there was a variety of environments and Jongdae was sure they'd explored it from top to bottom of the list.

It doesn't take them too long to actually reach the castle but once they actually got closer to really see what they were up against, Jongdae isn't going to lie—he may be a little intimidated. However, he's seen a lot worse. A colony of angry elves was much worse than a creaky bridge suspended over a river of spurting lava. He can handle this.

With a casual hop in his step, Jongdae starts on his way. He doesn't even realize how quiet the donkey has grown until halfway across the bridge when he takes a quick glance over his shoulder to check on the other. Baekhyun is absolutely terrified—horrified—and it’s written all over his face. He steals looks below him, to the side and back, and his big, bucky teeth bulge over his bottom...lip, anxious and afraid.

"What are you looking at? You stinkin' elf!" Baekhyun turns his nose up at the other.

Jongdae has the slightest grin plastered on his face, chuckles just waiting to roll from his tongue. In a sing-song voice, he replies, "You scared, Baekkie?"

"Shutup! It's an animal thing, okay?" The donkey's voice quivers on the last syllable and Jongdae grips the ropes running parallel along the bridge, acting as handles, harder. He grins, turning around to fully face the other and jerks his hip to one side. The bridge swings with a wild force that sends Baekhyun absolutely bonkers and he begins to trot forward, squealing and cursing Jongdae's name.

"You—you—you despicable elf! Stop— ah! stop! It's not. It's not— funny!"

Jongdae laughs heartily, stepping back with each advanced step the donkey takes, swaying the bridge as he went. Baekhyun screams and squeals, even when they reach solid ground. It takes the donkey a few seconds to register the fact. His breathing slows for a second and his cheeks blow out in a hollow, exasperated breath.

Then, his mouth gets back to work.

"Jongdae! You—You could've killed me! Are you crazy!? Do you know how dangerous that was?" Baekhyun screeches and Jongdae reaches down to ruffle the fur between his ears, chuckling. Baekhyun snorts in response, shaking his head.

"It was funny! Come on, have a little fun!' Jongdae tells him, a ghosting smirk playing over his lips. It’s fun to see Baekhyun so flustered and worked up.

"That was not—ugh! That wasn't funny, Jongdae! What's funny about walking across a rickety bridge over a boiling lake of lava?!"

"Eh, suit yourself then."

The elf continues forward and Baekhyun has no choice but to follow after him.

"Suit yourself, I will damn well suit myself when I throw you in on the way out..." The donkey mumbles to himself.

Once they step inside the castle, however, both go quiet, conversation halting as they take in their surroundings.

Greeting them is crumbling brick, possibly centuries old, and two large pillars upon the entry way. Inside, in what seems to be a lobby, there is scattered debris and skeletons with old and rusted armour to accompany their fallen soldiers. Jongdae crouches down by one of them, removing the helmet and shining it with the back of his sleeve.

Blowing the dust off of the surface, he whispers in a low voice, "I guess we're not the first to come here."

"No kidding."

Baekhyun approaches another skeleton and pokes at its side. It rolls over, helmet falling open and the donkey screams upon seeing the hollow skull of a dead man. He returns to Jongdae's side in a blink and tells him, "Let's just get the princess and get out of here."

"I wonder what killed them..." Jongdae thinks aloud, ignoring the other.

"For both our lives' sakes, I hope we never find out," Baekhyun replies.

"But seriously, this place! It's magnificent!" Jongdae points up ahead, "Look at that staircase! It's huge!"

"I thought the elves were wealthy. Ain't you guys got like, I don't know, bigger castles than this?" Baekhyun's voice echoes through the cracked walls, bouncing off in waves.

"Not castles. More like homesteads,” Jongdae corrects him. “And besides I don’t live with them anymore, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah. Deformed elf or whatever," Baekhyun mumbles, obviously uninterested. "Oh, wait! Didn't Lord Luhan say that she'd be in the highest tower? Shouldn't we take the stairs then?"

Jongdae nods, "Yeah. Good thinking Baekhyun. Never thought you'd ever use that brain of yours," he adds, grinning to himself.

"I heard that, you idiot."

"Hm," Jongdae responds as he begins to climb the stairs—or what's left of it. Some blocks are missing and as a result, it becomes more of a leap the frog activity. At one point, Baekhyun almost falls into the abyss of the large and swirling case. Luckily, Jongdae manages to pull the other to safety.

Their illusion of safety is short-lived, however, because as soon as they get back to making their way up the impossible staircase, the roar and rumble of an unimaginable beast shakes the ground beneath them and Jongdae struggles to hold himself steady.

Baekhyun's shrill screams pierce the air and Jongdae looks out for the Donkey, gripping hard onto the front leg of the other. Baekhyun appears downright useless, squirming for security in this unreal, earthquake-like situation.

The rumbling doesn't stop; well not completely. When it does, it happens in short intervals, only to start up once again. It becomes stronger and stronger by the minute and the volume only increases, a dreadful chorus. That's when Jongdae realizes that they should probably get out of there. Heaving, Jongdae mutters a silent apology before launching off of the staircase and onto the next level of rooms below them.

They land with a thud and Baekhyun heaves with sharp rugged breaths. Jongdae has no time to help him calm down though and he struggles to lift the donkey up onto his shoulders. Baekhyun helps though as he seems to catch on, allowing himself to mold around the curve of Jongdae's neck and shoulders. Jongdae makes a run a for it, crossing another large room that resembles a dining hall.

Once he's past there and safely out of sight of their pursuer, Jongdae sets the other down onto the floor and Baekhyun gasps eyes widening as he peers over the other's shoulder.

"What is that?!"

Jongdae frowns and turns just in time to see the scales of a burgundy reptile, trying to fit through the opening underneath the staircase. The sheer size is captivating and as fascinating as it is, Jongdae doesn't spare anytime gawking at the thing. He deems Baekhyun good enough to run now that they're on stable ground and grabs a sword from the floor, making a run for it. Relief flushes through him when he hears the sound of frantic trots behind him and he makes for another set of stairs that he can see peeking out from the corner of the next turn.

Baekhyun follows without hesitation and even though wonky on his hooves, he manages to keep up with the other. They make it to the top of the stairs which leads to another room, presumably on the floor above and Jongdae cheers internally when he spots the main flight of stairs towards the end of the hallway.

However, the dragon is a complete fool and just before he steps foot upon the main flight, hot, dry heat spreads up his pant leg, skin burning, but not quite. He curses and jerks back.

"You crazy dragon!" Baekhyun yells.

The animal growls back at him and Baekhyun squeals in fear, running to Jongdae's side. "Short elf man! Get us out of here I ain't putting up with any of this fire blowing stuff. I thought we was saving a princess!"

"Well me bloody too! So if you would stop holding my leg," Jongdae shoved Baekhyun away from him, "I could take care of the problem. Now..." He looked around, trying to spot something that could be of any help. Suddenly, he had an idea.

Looking down at the donkey, Jongdae told him, "Stay put and don't move unless I say so, got it?"

"Got it," Baekhyun chirps.

Jongdae proceeds to slide down the remainder of the railing to the bottom floor once again, haphazardly avoiding the blowing fire of the dragon, hot flames at his heels. He winces when the heat come close to his clothes, almost setting them ablaze and Baekhyun shrieks from the second floor every time Jongdae comes close to being burnt to crisp.

Cursing under his breath, Jongdae runs, leaping onto the large tail of the dragon. He pounds upon it with such force, the wind knocks out of him and the beast whimpers in obvious pain, stiffening. Jongdae would grin if not for the fact that in the next few seconds, he finds himself suspended in air being thrown out of the cracked opening of the ceiling.

The wind rips through the folds of his thin tunic and pants and once again, the wind is knocked out of him and he lands upon a dusty wooden floor, the planks beneath him howling in protest. He grimaces, curling into himself. He doesn't dwell upon the pain for long. A voice interrupts his thoughts.

"Ser knight?"

Jongdae looks up and sees a maiden—the princess—standing over him, eyebrows pulled into a deep frown. She wears a long, well-fitted red dress, gold patterns lacing the outline and the hemming and her long brown hair is plaited in a braid that falls down her neck and stopping at her s. His helmet muffles his wheezed response.

"Princess?"

"Y-Yes," she clears . "I mean, yes, it is I. Princess Ebony." Even in the oddity of the situation, Jongdae still finds it in himself to feel amused at the irony of it all. Princess Ebony, the princess with the palest, most porcelain looking skin he'd ever come to lay eyes upon.

The princess, continued. " And you are Ser...?"

"Jongdae," He manages. "Call me Jongdae."

She nods and Jongdae stands, trying his best not to wince in pain. The princess looks at him for a moment, like she wants to say something but Jongdae's really not up for it at the moment and grabs her wrist. He still has Baekhyun to rescue.

The princess shrieks when Jongdae pulls her towards the door and tries to pull away in protest. "Where are you taking me?"

"Uh, out of here?" Jongdae tells her, trying to get the door open. "Ugh, stupid lock." Pulling the ancient metal contraption clean off, Jongdae kicks the door down, the slam of the object creating a loud bang which echoes through the room.

"B-But this isn't how it is supposed to be! You're supposed to lead me down a rope and take me away on your valiant steed!"

"Well sorry princess, I don't do the routine!" Jongdae yells back, leading her down a set of spiralling stairs. They take a turn into another hall but it is far too narrow to be the main hall. Jongdae goes down another flight of stairs before finding the main hallway—this time it is not by size or familiarity but because of the littered skeletons and the silhouettes burnt into the stone walls of the castle.

"Well that's what all the other knights did," The princess argues.

Jongdae scoffs, "Yeah. And look how well that turned out." He purposely kicks a passing skeleton for effect and grins at his own slightly disturbing humor. Oh well.

The princess groans in frustration and Jongdae resists the urge to roll his eyes. Luckily, they don't have to dwell in awkward silence for too long. Unfortunately the growl of the dragon nearby is what fills the gap in the atmosphere.

"You didn't slay the dragon?!" The princess cries.

"That's uh, still on my to do list." He says, leading her to the dining hall.

"Why are we coming to the hall? The exit is that way!" She suggests, eyebrows pinned in anger.

Jongdae approaches the edge of the ledge of the third floor—he knows because he spotted the second floor railing that overlooked the dining hall—and before he even lays eyes upon the dragon, he knows that Baekhyun is still alive and breathing. Not like the Donkey could ever go down without much of a fight anyway.

"You know, uh, I don't think I'm emotionally prepared for a relationship with so much....uh, physical contact..."

Jongdae teeters closer and the princess whispers panicked. "Jongdae! What are you doing?"

Grabbing a chain that connects to the chandelier and onto a lever-pulley mechanism from the side of the wall, Jongdae replies, "I've got to save my ."

"What kind of knight are you?" The princess asks in disbelief.

Jongdae turns around. Propping himself up onto the ledge, he takes hold of the chain with a firm grip and winks, before dropping into the abyss of the large dining hall. "One of kind."

The princess runs to the edge to find him landing dangerously on the cobble floor. Baekhyun's shrill scream of joy and relief fills the air when he sees the elf. The tail—now wrapped around the donkey—tightens, as if a protective cage and it makes Jongdae wonder...was he wooing the dragon?

He shakes his head. He can't think of that right now.

"Jongdae, finally! I never thought she'd leave me alone!"

"Shut up Baekhyun and come here!" Jongdae tells him.

The dragon growls once again, the loud sound of the beast thrumming through his veins and Jongdae instantly ducks when it aims a ball of flame his way. The hot element is millimetres away from causing him sure death. Jongdae circles round the dragon, in hopes of distracting it, to allow the Donkey to squirm his way out. Thankfully, it doesn't catch on as Jongdae riles it up, provoking it by jumping upon its nape and coming round again to its front, all the while wrapping the chain around its neck.

When Baekhyun is a safe distance from the beast, Jongdae runs to a nearby pillar and begins to secure the chain around it, hoping to the dear gods that he doesn't get his burnt in the process. Once he's done, Jongdae runs, picking up the donkey and trails up the stairs to grab the princess as well.

He has no time to waste and with a harsh tug, pulls the princess with him and together they dash down the crumbling staircase, the angry beast on their tails.

"Hey princess," Baekhyun chirps.

"He talks?"

Jongdae nods, huffing. "Yeah, it's getting him to shut up that's the trick."

He runs towards the entryway and almost drops to his knees when he eyes the two large pillars that greeted them upon entering. They step over scattered rubble and debris, the loud thump of the ever nearing reptile keeping him energised. Adrenaline pumps through him. Despite the burn of his lungs and the pain that courses through his body from the impact of his fall, Jongdae pursues the exit.

"Jongdae, the dragon!" Both the princess and donkey scream.

"I know! Just keep running!" Jongdae huffs.

When they reach the bridge, Jongdae pushes the princess in front of him, urging her to go and does the same with Baekhyun. "Go along, I'll take care of the dragon."

In a frantic rush, the princess tugs Baekhyun along, quick to obey Jongdae's demand. It might not be the escape she was hoping for but it's all she's able to get at the moment.

Jongdae turns behind him to hear the groaning of chains and the squeal of rusted, corroded metal rubbing together. He cringes at the sound. The burgundee reptile growls, realizing it is trapped in the mangle of chains. It struggles against the hard material keeping it from pursuing its prey. Jongdae takes the round helve of his barely usable sword and charges forward towards the beast, ignoring the dramatic cries from behind him.

Oh wyrd world, he knows what he's doing—if he didn't he'd already be dead at this point. And a dead elf was a useless one and Jongdae was far from useless, despite what his colony perceived of him.

The howling of the reptile does nothing to intimidate or scare him as he dodges the small fireballs thrown his way and rounds once again to the rear end of the dragon. Following the now tightly pulled chain, he trails about twenty metres down the foyer hallway and grabbing a gaping loop of chain, jabs the blade inside and impales it into the cobble wall. A wailing sound follows soon after and Jongdae runs for it, keeping low and close to the wall.

As expected, the Dragon's labored breathing becomes louder and louder and Jongdae ducks as he braces for the ball of flame hurdling his way. He rolls the rest of the way to the pillar room—roughly five metres— and from there jumps to a straight sprint. He is glad to see Ebony and Baekhyun waiting fervently on the other side of the bridge.

If his legs were sore before—he's in agonising pain now, however, the fact that they're so close to freedom, to escaping and to regaining claim over his property, keeps him going and somehow, they make it far, far away from the dragon's lair.

 

 

-

 

 

-

 

 

Jongdae hadn't realized that Ebony was still ignorant of the fact that he was basically a mistake to the world.  It hadn't crossed his mind that princess might have had an underlying prejudice towards...well elves in general and when she asks him to finally remove his helmet and show his face to her, Jongdae freezes, feeling just a little self conscious.

Over the years, he's learned to get used to the fact that common folk couldn't comprehend the fact that he is the unintentional byproduct of a human and an elf and that no, these ears aren't fake and no, you can't touch them and no, he is not apart of some ridiculous circus act. Just thinking about prior encounters—failure or not—gives him a pounding headache.

Maybe Ebony was different, however Jongdae highly doubts that, considering her royal status. Either way, he doesn't save her the benefit of the doubt.

"No," he tells her flatly. "I don't want to."

The princess' hopeful smile falters but she stays persistent, a hint of exasperation in her tone. "But I would like to see the face of my rescuer."

"And I said," Jongdae snaps, "I'd like to keep my helmet on.”

“Why?”

“Why not?” Jongdae challenges.

“How am

The princess visibly huffs, face going red with annoyance. "Remove the helmet now, or, or—"

"—Or what?" Jongdae taunts with a mischievous grin.

"Or I will march right back in there and all your efforts will be ruined!"

"Oh but princess," Baekhyun interrupts, whining, "we've only just gotten out!"

"Woah, woah!" Jongdae exclaims. "No one is going back in there! Not after all the crap I've endured just to get your pretty face out of there!"

"Then remove the helmet!" The princess practically shrieks and Jongdae takes a step back, eyes widening, her tone shocking him. Even Baekhyun looks taken back.

Ebony breathes heavily, chest rising up with a steady motion and Jongdae holds his hands up in surrender.

"Ok, ok, I will!"

Slowly, reaching towards the edges of the hat, Jongdae begins to remove the armour from his face. He keeps his gaze on the princess and can already feel the judging eyes squinting into a glare. Just as expected, the princess' eyes zero in on his ears and she gasps, a hand coming to cover . Shocked would be an understatement when describing the look on Ebony's face.

Jongdae looks away, cheeks heating up when Ebony continues to stare, face ridden with shock, surprise and obvious disappointment.

"Y-You're—"

"—a deformed elf. Yeah I know, no need to spell it out for me." He replies bitterly, throwing his helmet to the floor, running and hand through his disheveled, unbrushed hair.

"B-But where's prince charming? My knight on a stallion? Please tell me you are not my prince to be."

Jongdae snorts. Of course. The princess is expecting prince charming to come and sweep her off her feet. He shouldn't be expecting any different of her. "Well sorry, princess but I'm not the guy. You're prince charming," Jongdae waves toward the distance, "is back in the kingdom of Kahoran. He's hired me to come to fetch for you."

"Lord Luhan!" The donkey tells her.

Ebony frowns, a sharp crease forming between both eyebrows. "B-But why didn't he just come out here himself? T-That's not how it's supposed to work!"

"Good question! You should ask him when we get there!" Jongdae remarks with annoyance.

"But I have to be rescued by my true love!" The princess declares. "Not by some deformed elf and his-his pet!"

"Hey! I'm his friend!" Baekhyun snaps at her.

Jongdae rubs the wrinkles from his forehead, brushing back the loose strands of hair, and sighs. "Look, princess, you're not making my job any easier—"

"—Well I'm sorry, but your job is not my problem." She says indignantly. "And you can tell this Lord Luhan that if he wants to rescue me properly, then I'll be waiting right here." She plonks herself down upon a boulder, one leg crossed over the other.

Jongdae feels the anger and impatience building within him. Wyrd world, why does the universe hate him with a passion? He's already cursed enough as it is. But no, everything just has to go wrong for him starting with his property to this stupid quest and now the princess won't even say thank you? Goodness, she's lucky he hasn't killed her already.

Pointing a harsh finger at her, he marches up to her and growls, "Look, princess, I'm no one's messenger boy. I'm a delivery boy."

She glares at him. "You wouldn't dare."

Jongdae grins, teeth bared. In one swift movement, he picks her up by the waist, throwing her over the shoulder. She yelps and Jongdae chuckles inwardly at her pathetic attempt of punching his shoulder blades.

"Ugh—! Put me down!"

Ignoring her, he begins down the track, calling out to Baekhyun.

"You coming too, Baek?"

"Right behind ya Dae!"

The princess shrieks. "This is not dignified, put me down!"

 

 

-

 

 

-

 

 

It's about late afternoon when they reach the bottom of the mountain and Jongdae will admit that he is overly exhausted from the journey. His limbs ache at every movement and with the princess hanging lax with boredom over his right shoulder, it doesn't make it any easier. However, he doesn't want to stop—the nearest inn is much too far than Jongdae could make it and the closest place to stop would be...well the eastern elven colonies that reside in Yelund.

Baekhyun voices his concerns in his blunt manner, "Jongdae I'm hungry. Jongdae, I'm tired can we stop?"

Every time, he refuses and every time, his breaths become heavier, each laboring step burning up through his shins. After a few more minutes though, Jongdae nearly collapses and he and the princess go tumbling through rock and gravel. Baekhyun yelps, coming to their help and Jongdae is dazed, mind beyond the veil.

The princess leans over him, breathless, brows pulled together. "Jongdae? Jongdae, are you alright?"

He nods, eyes squinted. The sun feels so much warmer and hotter on his skin and he can feel the sweat pooling at his chest, his neck and dripping down his face.

Ebony turns to Baekhyun. "Hey, we need to find a place to sleep for the night. We can't keep going on like this." Her voice is soft; resigned. She sounds tired as well.

"Don't look at me!” Baekhyun retorts hopelessly. “I don't even know where we are!"

The princess looks toward Jongdae for help and the elf gives in, sitting up with a groan.

"Alright, I know a place."

 

 

-

 

 

-

 




 

Despite the amount of time Jongdae has spent away from the settlement, from the moment he steps in, it’s obvious not one elf has forgotten his face. Or well, most probably his height. He tries to ignore all the eyes trained on him, all the gasps he can hear as he passes through the settlement. But it’s hard. It’s hard to control the anger that bubbles within, to control the suppressed distaste for these elves. Jongdae’s been holding back his whole life. Oh how satisfying it would be to bite back for once. His fingertips yearn for release.

 

Unfortunately now is not the time for revenge.

 

Ebony stays close to him, a hand holding onto the end of his sleeve. He can sense how rigid she is. He doesn’t blame her. Not when the elves aren’t doing anything to hide their shock or surprise. He feels the urge to pull her closer; protect her. But he decides against it. She’s a princess and he’s just the result of a mistake his mother made.

 

Baekhyun seems to cling to his side as well, mouth shut tight.

 

And as much as Jongdae hated this place, he can’t deny that it is one of the more pleasant sights he’s ever seen in his life. It’s still very much the same as how he left aside from a few unfamiliar buildings and flora. The flora, though, is unlike any other flora of the common folk.

 

He doesn’t have to ask Ebony or Baekhyun if they find the sight mesmerizing. The shock and admiration rolls off their faces in waves. Not many of the common folk have seen an elven settlement with their own eyes - most aren’t usually welcome to sightsee - people only really hear stories about the beauty of elven flora.

 

Some have attempted to sketch or paint out what they think elven flora looks like but having grown up with it at his doorstep, Jongdae can say that no artist can ever do its beauty justice. It’s just one of those things you can’t replicate or describe well enough - you have to see it with your own eyes.

 

The home of the Chief is about a ten minute walk into the settlement. It’s not hard to miss, especially since it has the largest wall surrounding it.

 

When they get to the gates, Jongdae immediately notices one of the guards. He has his silver hair in a long tail, trailing down his back through an opening from his helmet, matched with armour made from animals hide and silver. He holds a long spear on the ground He feels the fear setting in, spreading from the pit of his stomach and into the centre of his chest. His heart pounds and he’s sure everyone can hear it.

 

With slow breaths and careful steps, Jongdae stands in front of none other than Jongin; son of Chief Garlon, second chief in command. And he hates his guts to bits. Just the thought of him makes Jongdae want to throw up.

 

However, for now he will endure the other’s presence. Besides, the look on his face is priceless. Mouth hanging open, jaw slack, his grey eyes wide with shock - Jongdae feels just a small bit triumphant. Even if it only lasts for a split second.

 

“Chen?” Jongin saying his elven name makes him want to run and hide. It’s just another part of his past he wants to forget. “Since when were you alive?” The elven language rolls off the other’s tongue naturally just like how it once did with Jongdae. Now his elven sounds...unnatural.

 

“Funny,” Jongdae gives him an unimpressed look. Jongin grins, the silly grin he always wears when he wants to mess with you. Jongdae would know. He continues in elven. “I need to talk with my brother.”

 

“No hi, or, nice to see you again? How warm of you Chen.”

 

Jongdae refuses to show him how much Jongin irritates him, and only pushes his request forward once more. “I’d like to speak with my brother please. Call for Yifan.” Jongin arches an eyebrow. Jongdae sets his jaw. “Please.”

 

Jongin halts for a moment, holding Jongdae’s gaze then lets out a breath. “You do realize that none of the table of Chiefs will approve of this right?”

 

“Does it look like I care about that?” Jongdae snaps.

 

Jongin shakes his head, still with a silly smile. “No and it’s really funny actually.” He looks towards Ebony, raking his eyes up and down her body. Without thinking, Jongdae steps in front of her, holding an arm out.

 

This seems to fire Jongin even more. “Oh I see.” He leans down to their height. “You’ve got a wife now - or is she just your harlot?” Jongin’s eyes flick towards Ebony as he says it, biting his lower lip.

 

Jongdae feels his skin burning now, an unfamiliar sensation and his hands yearn to release, to reach out and do something. But he clenches a fist, drowning out the thoughts, the warmth in his fingertips, the urges. The last thing he needs is to make a scene and attract attention to himself and the other two. Or worse.

 

Hurt the son of Chief Garlon.

 

With as level of a voice he can manage, Jongdae speaks up once again, his patience wearing very, very thin. “If you don’t open this gate for me Jongin, you will regret it. Don’t forget that I’m much more capable than you.”

 

At that, Jongin takes a step back, the smile finally falling from his lips. His adam’s apple bobs up and down nervously, no doubt replaying a series of flashbacks that usually ended up with him on the ground, cowering in pain. Jongdae can see it in his eyes.

 

Good, Jongdae thinks, watching the startled Jongin with a slight smirk. He hesitates with his next reply. “I—I can’t get you in there without leaving my post but I’ll let you through the west opening. I trust that you’ll know your way from there.”

 

Surprised but relieved, Jongdae gives him a curt, “Thanks.” And allows him to lead the way.

 

Sure, news will travel fast and by tomorrow morning, Vlank will know that he’s here but at least by then, he’ll have Yifan. He feels ashamed, having to rely on his brother even after ten years; or maybe he feels more shame in the fact that Vlank still scares him. To this day, the night terrors have never left him. They’re not as frequent but it still happens.

 

Ebony and Baekhyun are quiet, still clinging to him but now, Ebony has looped her arm with Jongdae’s. He feels weird about it, but doesn't question it. She’s in an unfamiliar place where strange and freakishly tall elves are all staring at her and speaking in a different language. At least for Baekhyun, he just seems like a clueless donkey. Jongdae sympathizes with her.

 

Jongin fiddles with the towering gate for a few seconds before it clicks and the lock gives away. He yanks it open and pushes through, revealing the Terik Eylwe garden, translation for long and everlasting if Jongdae can recall correctly. It’s in full bloom just as it should be at this time of the year and if Jongdae didn’t know any better, he’d think he was stepping into heaven.

 

There’s stairs leading down into the actual garden and Jongdae leads the way — not before giving Jongin one last salute. An elven symbol of gratitude is usually a kiss to the cheek but for those who aren’t comfortable with it, a fist to the chest is the alternative. Kisses are usually only used during a coming of age ceremony or Nehemirilia, day of the prosperous.

 

Jongdae takes the lead, unhooking his arm from Ebony’s, and then takes her hand, albeit hesitant. She doesn’t seem to mind it though and follows, Baekhyun right behind her. As Jongdae is stepping onto the soft surface of the grass, He hears the lock click back into place and the clinking of Jongin’s armor as he returns to his post at the main entrance.

 

Scanning the area, Jongdae checks for any groundskeepers. At this time of day, the only elves that should be roaming the garden is them unless a member of the chief's household decides to go for a little stroll, although, Jongdae doubts it. The Terik Eylwe garden has only ever been used during times of grief, if he can remember properly.

 

Often, Jongdae would come visit when he was upset. Something about it is just awfully calming.

 

Hands still clasped and an eye on Baekhyun, Jongdae guides them forward, right through the middle of the garden. It wouldn’t be smart to move along the edges as that’s where most of the groundskeepers tend to trail. Jongdae just has to trust his memory.

 

It’s a fairly large garden, stretching out and around a quarter of the abode—the west quarter. Using different plants as checkpoints, Jongdae picks up his pace. They need to get inside fast if they’re to avoid any elves. It’ll be time for dinner soon, which means most of the chief elders and families will be preparing themselves and that the staff will be setting up the dining hall. This gives Jongdae the perfect time to sneak into Yifan’s quarters.

 

When the stairs to the entrance of the west wing finally come into view, he lets out a breath. However, he stops abruptly, behind a Gorek bush, ducking down, pulling Ebony and Baekhyun down with him. Just in front of the entrance stands a guard—and this time, Jongdae doesn’t have the comfort (or discomfort) of knowing him.

 

Cursing under his breath, Jongdae releases Ebony’s hand and places his hands on her shoulders instead. Looking straight into her eyes, he hushes in a serious, breathy tone, “I’m gonna do something that you probably don’t wanna see so...just close your eyes, alright?”

 

She looks uncertain, but nods anyway and without hesitating, Jongdae stands. The guard doesn’t spot him straight away—he’s about five meters away when the guard finally notices an intruder. Hands grasping onto his spear tight and knees bent into a defensive stance, Jongdae takes this opportunity.

 

He watches as the guard’s face twists with sick recognition; but it’s too late. Jongdae s his hands forward, energy and adrenaline coursing through his body, and with sparks of bright red, the guard drops to the ground, body limp. He’s not dead, but it sure does look it.

 

Jongdae didn’t intend to kill, didn’t need to kill. He only needed him out of the way. With haste, he climbs the stairs and drags the guards body away from the door, to ensure that no one stumbles upon it. He’ll wake up in due time.

 

Then, looking towards the Gorek bush his stomach almost drops. Ebony stands there, fear written all over her face.

 

Baekhyun looks just as shaken but Jongdae knows that now is not the time to comfort either of the two.

 

Pulling Baekhyun to his side and Ebony by the hand, Jongdae leads them once again, to the stairs. They climb in a painful silence, passing the guard’s unconscious body on the way.

 

Just as he expected, the hallways are relatively empty and Jongdae takes a right to where he knows Yifan’s wing will be. Slipping in through the front entrance of his brother’s abode, Jongdae allows himself to breathe a sigh of relief. There are no guards in there, only Yifan’s guardian, Yusra, a mountain fairy.

 

She gasps upon seeing the trio but is quick to lower her voice when she sees Jongdae’s familiar face.

 

“Chen?” Floating closer, “Is that you?”

 

He nods, grateful to know her loyalty lies to Yifan and Yifan only. “Yes it is I. Yusra, where is Yifan?”

 

“He’s washing up in his bathing chamber, although he should be back soon enough but Chen. May I ask why you’re here all of a sudden? And who are these…” she looks both Baekhyun and Ebony up and down. “Acquaintances who accompany you?”

 

Swallowing, he nods. Gesturing to the other two, he explains in a soft, but urgent voice, “This is Princess Ebony and Baekhyun. We’re looking for a place to stay before we make way to the kingdom of Kahoran where Ebony is to be wed. Please, Yusra, just one night.”

 

The fairy folds her arms, biting her lower lip as she weighs the issue before her. Sighing, she tells them, “Follow me.”

 

Yusra takes them to a guest room and on the way, she tells them in the common tongue, so that Ebony and Baekhyun will understand, “I don’t have a say in anything around here but once master Yifan is finished with washing up, I’ll alert him of your arrival. He’ll take care of arrangements from there.” Then to Jongdae, “You shouldn't worry about being found out by the Chief. Yifan is still very much the same as when you left him. I’m sure he’ll be ecstatic once I share the news.”

 

Jongdae gives her a smile and a bow, “Thank you, Yusra.”

 

“It is alright,” she says before leaving to resume her duties.

 

Ebony settles herself on the edge of the bed, a large wooden frame with a an assortment of blankets laid upon a mattress, and Jongdae decides to sit beside her. He may as well use this time to talk to her. Shoulders touching, Jongdae begins, “I’m sorry you had to witness that.”

 

“What are you?” Ebony asks. It’s not in a derogatory way, only curious.

 

“My mother was an elf, hence the ears. And my father, apparently, was a sorcerer. I guess I’m the end product of an affair gone wrong.” Jongdae stares at his fingers, fidgeting.

 

“It’s not something to be ashamed of,” Ebony finally says. “Especially if it wasn't your doing. You couldn’t have controlled your mother or your father’s actions. I-It’s so wrong of them to take it out on you.”

 

“Doesn’t change what I am.” Jongdae laughs bitterly.

 

“What you are, doesn’t make you who you are.” Her voice is steady, firm. Serious. Jongdae doesn’t want to hear any more of it.

 

He stands, “I’ll let you get some rest.”

 

Ebony watches him as he steps out of the room. Maybe they’re not so different after all.


 

-



 

-


 

Yifan, it seems hasn’t changed much. He still prefers to let his hair run free down the plains of his long back, and he still towers over Jongdae like the pillar he is. He looks like he hasn’t aged a day, skin as soft as it had been ten years ago.  

 

When his eyes land on Jongdae’s, he is lost for words, lips parted. “Chen? Is it—is it really you?” He steps forward, eyes moist and filled with longing. His large hand comes to cup Jongdae’s face, careful, as if the smallest touch will make Jongdae disappear into thin air. Jongdae is still, unmoving. He allows Yifan to process it.

 

“I-I’m not dreaming,” Yifan’s chin quivers and he bites his lower lip, choking back a sob. His long arms pull him in for a bone crushing hug and Jongdae struggles to breathe. But it doesn’t matter, because it’s Yifan. “It really is you brother. It really is.”

 

Yifan holds him steady for a solid minute before pulling back, hands on his shoulders. “Chen, I—how? Why?”

 

Jongdae laughs, reaching up to wipe the tears that fall from his brother’s eyes. “It’s good to see you too.”

 

Yifan smiles, small but genuine. “I’ve missed you a lot brother. You can’t even imagine.”

 

“I don’t,” Jongdae says, as a tear of his own escapes, “have to imagine. Because I missed you too.”

 

Jongdae then introduces both Ebony and Baekhyun before Yifan leads him to his study to talk, leaving the two to their own devices.

 

Jongdae inhales before explaining, “Ebony is to get married to Lord Luhan of Kahoran. However, we need a place to stay for tonight before we make the journey tomorrow.”

 

“Chen,” Yifan’s voice is laced with obvious concern but somewhere, faintly, Jongdae hears fear. “Father—Vlank—would never allow it. You know it.” He does. “How did you even get in here?”

 

“Jongin,” Jongdae supplies, and for some reason, under Yifan’s hard stare, he feels even smaller. Fear starts to trickle in, piled with exhaustion and fatigue. He feels so fragile.

 

“Chen, you know how fast word gets around here. Vlank won’t be civil this time,” Yifan tells him and although his tone isn’t condescending, it feels like Yifan is scolding him. He’s not fifteen anymore. He’s an adult who can take care of himself.

 

“When was he ever civil, Yifan?” Jongdae asks with a level voice, looking up with angry eyes. “Don’t you dare tell me that the exile was civil. You’re not allowed to say that! Not after what this entire colony put me through!”

 

“Chen—” he pleads, reaching out. Jongdae swats his hand away.

 

“Don’t call me that. That’s not my name anymore.” And it’s true. He left Chen here along with his fifteen year old self. He doesn’t want to be that weak little elf who couldn’t fend for himself. He rises, turning away from his brother. “I-I need to take a walk.”

 

“Chen no—” Jongdae doesn’t listen to Yifan as he steps out, his vision blurred by the tears that mar his eyes. Not quite the reunion he’d pictured.



 

-


 

-



 

They say that when you’re angry, you don’t think before you do things. Turns out they are right. Jongdae doesn’t pay attention to his surroundings, storming through the grounds in blind fury. He doesn’t know why he’s so on edge, so angry. He’s not even mad at Yifan. He doesn’t know who he’s mad at. Maybe he’s just mad at the world. The universe.

 

He needs to clear his head. It’s a stupid idea, to be running through the homestead like this, especially in his situation.

 

The homestead hasn’t really changed from when Jongdae left. Maybe a few alterations to the gardens or new servants here and there. Or maybe it has. Jongdae is too occupied with his own thoughts to focus on the outside world.

 

Flashbacks filter through his head; memories of lessons with Hetrycah, most of them ending with him on the floor, beaten and bruised by his classmates. Mouth filled with grass, pebbles and mud as his hands were held behind his back, strain burning up through his shoulders. Mocking laughter and elven curse words thrown his way, accompanied by sticks and stones, to add to the blow. Cressa, his older sister, frequent in them, eyes dark, face flushed with twisted satisfaction.

 

How convenient that the exact person that has haunted him over the years bumps right into him, then and there. The wind is knocked from his lungs, back hitting the floor hard. He wheezes upon impact and blinks through the blur of tears. Those same eyes, same long nose, and long brown hair greet him.

 

“Chen?” Surprise is etched onto her face, but there’s also something else. Mirth. Malice. Maybe both combined. “To what do I owe this...pleasure?” She tilts her head, arms folded.

 

Jongdae doesn’t entertain her and sits up, jerking backwards as she advances. He panicks, looking around. He’s in one of the main corridors. He can tell from how the height of the ceilings have increased from before.

 

“Don’t bother running, brother,” she scoffs. “I’ve already heard from Jongin of your arrival. Did you really think you could prance in here unnoticed?”

 

Jongdae doesn’t look at her, and grits his teeth, unable to form a proper response. His jaw is clenched tight and he squeezes his eyes closed shut. He can feel the energy moving through his veins, pumped by adrenaline and anxiety, his fingertips warming.

 

“Don’t try your silly magic tricks here Chen. We both know you’re far too weak to even grasp that kind of power,” Her confidence is feigned; superficial. Jongdae can pick it up in the way that her voice wavers, subtle but not noticeable. He breathes in, deep.  

 

He thinks he might just explode. Control. He needs to control it—

 

“Cressa! Chen!” Yifan’s voice interrupts his thoughts, a wave of relief washing over him. However, it only lasts a moment, because as he’s turning around to face his brother, he spots another familiar face. His blood runs cold, and he tenses. His fingertips stay warm, fueled by fear.

 

Vlank walks beside Yifan, colds eyes trained on none other than Jongdae. Ebony and Baekhyun trail behind, heads hung low. He swallows, trying to mask his anxiousness. He doesn’t think he’s doing a very good job because Vlank looks exactly like he did when Jongdae was exiled. Triumphant. Victorious.

 

He resists the urge to spread his fingers. To let the sparks fly. To direct them at Vlank’s heart.

 

Yifan rests a hand on Jongdae’s shoulder. “You come with me and Father. Cressa will take care of your guests.” He shoots Cress a look and the girl just rolls her eyes, silently complying. If there’s anyone other than Vlank that can tell her what to do, it’s Yifan. “Come on.”

 

Jongdae avoids Vlank’s gaze, focusing on the floorboards that move with each step. The air is tense between the three of them. Or maybe it’s just Jongdae that feels it. As much as he hates Vlank, he trusts Yifan. He’ll be ok.

 

He knows Cressa would never harm someone without proper reason (although, ironically, she did so with Jongdae, but that must be some twisted exception) so he’s not entirely worried over Ebony and Baekhyun’s well being. Besides if she were to hurt them, or endanger them, there would be heavy repercussions. After all, Ebony is a princess and meddling with matters of the common folk is a major crime within the colony. It’s considered unforgivable.

 

When they come to a stop, Jongdae immediately recognises the room. It’s small, but spacious in terms of layout. Like the rest of the homestead, it has greenery climbing along the walls as decoration, and small plants lining the skirting boards. Jongdae and Yifan wait for Vlank to take a seat before following suit.

 

Even after all these years, it’s a habit to follow Elven tradition. Jongdae doesn’t know if it’s a bad thing.

 

Yifan is the first to speak. Jongdae fiddles with his fingers, looking down, submissive.

 

“Chen,” he starts softly. Jongdae glances up at him. “Father has agreed to let you and your guests stay the night, however, you must leave by morning and—” he clears his throat, swallowing. “You are never to return to the colony again. This will be the only time he will make an exception.”

 

Shock. That’s the initial feeling. Then there’s doubt. How can he be so sure that Vlank isn’t secretly planning to just hang Jongdae publicly then and there?

 

“Don’t go getting any ideas,” Vlank says, looking straight at him. “I’m doing this for the princess. You must know how influential her bloodline is in the world of the common folk.” Jongdae doesn’t but he doesn’t comment. “It’d be foolish to bring treat her inhumanely.” To treat her how you treated me, Jongdae thinks bitterly. “You’re sleeping out back, with the faeries. I meant what I said at the exile.”

 

Jongdae tenses. He hadn’t been giving himself false hope but Vlank’s words drove the nail in, pounding hard. Vlank’s last words to him at the conclusion of his exile still ring clear in his mind today.

 

“You are your mother’s mistake. You should be ashamed of what you are. You’re worse than a half-breed. You’re scum. If it weren’t for you, she wouldn’t be dead. You’re lucky I’m not returning the favor. Now get gone before sunset. I don’t want to see your face ever again!”

 

Standing with clenched fists he says, “I’ll get going then.” Yifan doesn’t say anything, looking down in silence. He almost laughs. Maybe his brother isn’t as courageous as he lets on. Because at the end of the day, he still bows down to Vlank, just like all the others. Jongdae doesn’t want to look at him.

 

He walks out, head held high, with no trace of tears. He doesn’t need Yifan. He doesn’t need anyone. He’s only ever been able to rely on himself. He’s in control.

 

He doesn’t bow.


 

-

 

-




 

Ebony is exhausted. She barely even notices the sun on the horizon, set low, almost dark. It’s only until Baekhyun points it out that she remembers. It’s not like how it was in the tower, with no audience to watch as she transformed. But now there are watching eyes.

 

She’s never really thought about what she would do once she was rescued. Actually no. She has. The plan has always been to break the curse with a kiss after escaping with her prince. But somehow, a strange elf shows up in her tower, along with his non-stop talking donkey and unconventional way of dealing with things. Such as cracking nonsensical jokes and throwing her unceremoniously over his shoulder.

 

Fortunately enough for her, Baekhyun is equally as exhausted and has fallen dead asleep on the rug beside the raised bed. Ebony tiptoes quietly into the bathing chambers, closing the door quietly behind herself.

 

It’s built with a strong wooden structure, just like the rest of the homestead, even the bath. She slips off her clothes, and sinks down into the water, sighing as the warm water laps over her skin in waves. It’s nice, especially after a long day.

 

She closes her eyes and waits, anticipating.

 

It happens quickly. Just as it has every night since she could remember.

 

When she peels her eyes open, she looks down to dark, mud colored skin, several shades darker than that of her natural skin tone. The tears fall from her eyes in silence, mixing with the murky, scented water that fills the bath.

 

“Who will marry your daughter if she looks like she was charred in a fire? Did you ever think before doing things? Because of your carelessness, she’s a walking circus act! A walking piece of soot! Do something about it Teancum. Before I take matters into my own hands.”

 

The sun has set.




 

-



 

-



 

Jongdae keeps his word to Vlank, or rather complys obediently and readies himself by morning. He meets Ebony, Baekhyun, Cressa and Yifan in the dining hall, where breakfast is being served. A sack is thrown over his shoulder, containing food for their journey. By foot, it should only take them another day and a bit to reach Kahoran.

 

He doesn’t join them at the table and instead places a hand on Ebony’s shoulder as he tells her in a quiet voice, “Meet me at the front gates in an hour. I’ll be waiting. Don’t be late.”

 

Cressa’s hard gaze and Yifan’s submissive attitude doesn’t go unnoticed. Jongdae ignores it. If Ebony senses the awkward atmosphere between the three, she doesn’t mention it. He’s thankful.


 

-


 

-


 

-



 

Just as planned, they meet at the gate an hour after breakfast, however, Ebony and Baekhyun are joined by an additional figure. Yifan. Jongdae scowls.

 

In a low voice, “Why are you here?”

 

“To them,” Yifan doesn’t meet his eyes and instead focuses on reaching into his pocket. Jongdae swallows. “And, to give you this.” He opens his hand and inside sits a human-sized necklace, made with a simple cord of string with a copper ring looped through.

 

“What…” Jongdae eyes it. He clears his throat. “What is it?”

 

“It was mother’s.” His voice is reverent, meek. Underneath it, Jongdae detects an apology. “It’s a tradition, among common folk, to exchange rings between lovers. I found it among her belongings after…” he doesn’t finish the sentence. He doesn’t have to. Instead he s it into Jongdae’s hands, closing his palm around it. Yifan’s hands are warm, comforting.

 

It reminds Jongdae of when he was younger, maybe ten, and they’d sit in silence as Yifan and yusra washed the mixture of dirt, grime and blood from his outside classes and his brother’s large palms massaged soothing circles, unspoken apologies on the tip of his tongue.  “Keep it. It’s yours.”

 

“Yifan I—”

 

“—I know that no apology will ever make

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter