Chapter 6

Reading Writing Romance

Ewon

Ewon couldn't believe they were actually doing this. In ten minutes, he and Nichkhun were getting married.

With the ink still wet on their marriage license, they'd driven to Kai Jewelers just over the state line into Gangnam and got matching gold wedding rings. The most romantic part of the whole thing was Nichkhun asking to have the words "For Wooyoung" inscribed inside their bands.

This wasn't how Ewon imagined his wedding day. He wanted flowers and spiffy tuxedos and sappy love songs. What he was getting was a quickie wedding at the Seoul City Hall with Junho serving as their witness. Ewon couldn't stand the thought of everyone being there for his pitiful, loveless wedding, so he'd only asked Junho to stand with him.

"Here comes the groom, riding a broom!" a familiar voice sang out.

Ewon was fidgeting with his tie when he heard the commotion coming up the stairs. He exchanged a confused look with Nichkhun.

"There they are!" Hwang Jay shouted, running toward Ewon and Nichkhun. Gain was right behind him carrying a bouquet of purple flowers. The rest of their friends were trailing behind all dressed up for their special day.

"I'm here to be your best man, Ewon." Jay grinned up at him.

Ewon looked at all of their friends. He didn't have to look far to figure out who the culprit was in bringing everyone here today.

"Come on, man." Junho pulled him in for a hug "I couldn't let you get married with just me here." 

Hearing the sadness in Junho's voice nearly brought him to tears. He needed to buck up and just say I do. He could cry all he wanted in his bedroom later when he was alone.

"We threw together a little potluck reception at my house for after the ceremony. The guys brought hot wings and burgers and I made you a cake." Narsha took turns hugging Nichkhun and then Ewon.

"I bought the beer." Kwanghee slapped both grooms on their backs.

Ewon then locked eyes with Jun "Earlier, that 'broom riding groom' thing. Did you call me a witch?" Ewon narrowed his eyes.

Jun looked innocently and shook his head no "I would never!"

"The Jung/Horvejkul party?" Ewon was about to say something when a man dressed in a suit called out into the hallway.

"Guess that's us." Nichkhun tentatively reached out for Ewon's hand.

Ewon grabbed on like a lifeline. That familiar hum of attraction sang through his veins like it did every time Nichkhun touched him. Wouldn't it be something if this friendship turned marriage of convenience turned into a red-hot romance?

Ewon shook his head. That kind of thing made a good plot line in a romance novel or those sappy Korean dramas, but didn't happen in real life.

The room they walked into was a simple office. No pergola with roses twining up the side of it. No large vases with flowers. No aisle. No string quartet. Ewon pasted on a fake smile and walked at Nichkhun's side to the justice of the peace. 

"Are you ready to begin, gentlemen?"

"I do!" Jay shouted.

"You're gonna have to wait your turn, Jay. Ewon is mine." Nichkhun winked at the little boy.

Ewon almost believed Nichkhun meant what he said.

"We are here today to join Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul and Jeong Ewon in marriage."

"That's Jung." Ewon whispered. Jesus Christ, the JP couldn't even get his name right. And compared to Nichkhun's his was the easiest to say.

The JP cleared his throat "Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul and Jung Ewon in marriage. Does anyone have just cause to show why these two should not be married?"

Crickets.

That was one thing working in Ewon's favor. At least no one was busting into the room to say they were pregnant with Nichkhun's baby or that he was already married to four other men. Ewon snickered.

"What's funny?" Nichkhun whispered. A huge smile burst across his face.

"I was waiting for some woman to burst in here and say she was pregnant with your baby or someone to say that I was the husband No.5." 

Nichkhun snorted and started to laugh.

Maybe being married to Nichkhun wasn't going to be as lifeless as he imagined.

"If you boys could stop giggling like schoolgirls, we can get on with the rings."

Nichkhun's pure black eyes darkened with what Ewon thought was anger as he turned back to the JP. He let go of Ewon's hand to fish the ring out of his pocket.

Ewon wasn't an expert on Nichkhun's body language, but he was pretty sure he wanted to punch the cut-rate JP in his face. Ewon snorted and started to crack up again. He had a feeling the JP might just walk out of the room before he finished marrying them if Ewon couldn't pull himself together.

"Place the rings on each other's fingers and repeat after me: with this ring, I thee wed."

"With this ring, I thee wed." Nichkkhun and Ewon chorused.

"I declare you husbands. You may kiss your groom."

Ewon looked at Nichkhun with shock in his eyes. He'd forgotten that weddings ended with a kiss. Christ, did he even brush his teeth before they'd left the house? 

Nichkhun didn't seem to be fazed by the kiss at all. He bent forward and pressed his lips to Ewon's.

Ewon was unprepared for the fireworks going off in his mind and his pants at Nichkhun's simple kiss. He gasped against Nichkhun's lips and pulled away stunned. Christ, did Nichkhun feel that too?

"Congratulations. May your marriage be happy and fruitful."

At that, Nichkhun and Ewon burst out laughing.

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg

 

Nichkhun

Nichkhun hadn't been expecting Narsha and Kwanghee to throw them a reception. He also hadn't expected the backyard party to be as nice as it was. Narsha had mentioned wings and burgers, but there was so much more.

Someone had brought a homemade pasta salad and deviled eggs. There was a huge tossed salad and marinated steak tips. When Jongup and Jennie showed up an hour later, they brought lobster and steamed clams.

Then there was the wedding cake. Nichkhun had been thinking it would be a lopsided homemade cake with crooked lettering, but the cake was a three tiered masterpiece, done in rainbow fondant with white hydrangea blooms on the top tier.

Ewon was just standing there and staring at it. Nichkhun had a feeling he was about to burst into tears. Not wanting to see his husband cry on their wedding day, Nichkhun leaned close to him "So, when do you think would be a good time for us to start getting fruitful?"

Ewon burst out laughing "Narsha really outdid herself."

Thank Christ Ewon didn't take his comment seriously. Nichkhun had no idea when or if they'd ever get fruitful. This was just an arranged marriage of sorts. He was willing to sacrifice love and so that Wooyoung could have a safe, loving home.

The last thing he had time to worry about now, between getting approved as foster parents and then starting the adoption proceedings, was figuring out his confused feelings for Ewon.

Their first kiss as a married couple had confused him enough for one day. Even though it was a barely-there peck, it had shot a bolt of lightning through his entire body straight to his . He'd seen the stunned look on Ewon's face and had a crazy second where he thought maybe Ewon felt the same thing. Nichkhun had quickly reminded himself that it was a fake marriage. Ewon probably hadn't been expecting a real kiss.

Not that Nichkhun regretted it. If given the chance he'd probably kiss his new husband again. If only to see if the lightning bolt of attraction that shot through his body would happen for a second time.

"Excuse me, family!" Hwang Jay shouted. The little boy was standing on top of one of Narsha and Kwanghee's patio chairs. 

"Yeah, excuse us, family!" Gain joined in, shooting Jay a dirty look.

"We would like to make some toast!" Jay said proudly.

"They are so cute." Ewon said from behind Nichkhun.

For some reason Nichkhun didn't want to look into that deeply, he reached out for Ewon's hand.

"I thought it was a pretty good wedding, even though no one was dressed like a T-Rex."

"Or Wonder Woman." Gain chimed in.

Ewon started to giggle. He looked up at Nichkhun who was chewing on his bottom lip "I had no idea people wore costumes to weddings." Ewon whispered.

"I would have called dibs on T-Rex." Nichkhun whispered back, starting to crack up all over again. If the worst thing he could say about his fake marriage was that he and his new husband laughed all day, Nichkhun would consider that a win.

"I have the legs to pull off Wonder Woman." Ewon struck a pose showing off his legs. 

"You would have looked bangin' in her tiny boy shorts!" Nichkhun agreed on a giggle.

"Uh, excuse us, grooms?" Jay had his hands fisted on his hips "Would you like to share what's so funny with the rest of the class?"

That made Nichkhun and Ewon laugh harder. Ewon was going to have his hands full come fall when Jay and Gain would be students in his first grade class.

"We're sorry, Jay. I was trying to picture myself as Wonder Woman."

"I bet Khun was too!" Taecyeon called from behind them.

"Anyway." Jay rolled his eyes in a perfect imitation of Chansung "Gainoo and I want to tell Won-Won and Khunnie how happy we are that they got married."

"Even though we're still angry they didn't ask us to be in the wedding. Me and Blackie would have worn matching dresses." she crossed her arms over her chest.

Nichkhun started laughing again. Gain did everything with her black cat.

"Guys, the idea of a toast is that you give the married couple advice for their future." Jun snorted and tried to hide his laugh with a cough. 

"Yeah, you don't yell at the grooms for not including you in their special day. Even though you only had half an hour to iron a dress shirt and throw on a suit." sarcasm dripped from Chansung's words.

Nichkhun and Ewon were laughing so hard they were leaning against each other.

"Okay, well here's my advice. Laugh all the time, just not during important speeches. Hugs make people stop crying." Jay looked solemn delivering his marriage advice.

"Adopt a cat. Cats make people happy." Gain waved at Jun and Taecyeon "Oh and never go to bed angry. That's what my Daddies say. 'Damn it, Jun! We're not going to bed angry!'" Gain growled, sounding like Taecyeon.

A very embarrassed looking Taecyeon ran up toward the kids and scooped a screeching Gain off the chair she was standing on "Gainoo's right. Don't go to bed angry. Always respect each other's position on an issue, at least until you can kiss them senseless to get them to see the light." Taec waggled his eyebrows at his fiancé.

Chansung joined Taecyeon and the kids "All kidding and hurt feelings about not being invited to the wedding aside..." he paused for dramatic effect "we're all thrilled with the promise of what this day brings for you and our family. The two of you are going to be amazing parents to Wooyoung and I think in the fullness of time, you're also going to be amazing husbands. To Ewon and Nichkhun!" Chansung held up his bottle of Gangseo. 

"To Ewon and Nichkhun!" everyone chorused.

Nichkhun turned to his new husband. The word "husband" still shocked him every time he thought of Ewon that way. No one knew what the future would hold, but Nichkhun was willing to be open to whatever was to come.