Epilogue

Reading Writing Romance

Jun's heart was pounding like he'd just run a marathon, which of course was impossible with his leg still in the cast.

It was a little more than three weeks since the car accident. What had Jun's heart in such a tizzy was that today was his first day back at school.

Following his doctor's orders to rest and let his body heal hadn't been easy. In Jun's mind, he thought he was ready to go back to school last week, but his stamina wasn't back to where it had been before the accident. He'd still been ready for a nap every day after lunch.

The school administration had given Jun the option to work half or three-quarter days until he was back to one hundred percent, but he'd been leery to take them up on that offer. He needed to be back at school making a difference to his kids. Jun could only hope he wouldn't start nodding off during his 3:30pm staff meeting. The last thing he needed was for his staff to feel sorry for him.

He'd mostly conquered his pride when it came to Taecyeon seeing him at his weakest, but he wasn't ready for his professional colleagues to see him in such a vulnerable state. He knew Junho and Ewon had his back, but didn't want the other teachers to think he was milking his injury.

Thankfully, the May weather was warm enough for Jun to wear baggy cargo shorts to work. They were the only pants he could manage to get up over his cast besides sweatpants. Of the two, the cargo shorts were the more professional choice. 

The shorts weren't as professional as his usual suit and tie, but none of his dress pants would fit over his damned cast and there was no way he was going to wear a dress shirt and tie with shorts.

When he made it to the breakfast table, Gain and Taec were chatting over their bowls of oatmeal. He could see Blackie was enjoying her kitten chow and there was a new chore sticker on Gain's chart. Taecyeon was more organized with their daughter than Jun could ever hoped to be.

"Good morning, Principal Daddy!" Gain giggled.

"Good morning to you too, Princess Gain and to you Princess Taecyeon." Jun pressed a quick kiss to the side of Taecyeon's head before sitting down at his place at the table.

"Taecyeon's not a princess." Gain rolled her eyes.

Jun bit his lip to keep from laughing. He could see Taecyeon doing the same thing out of the corner of his eye "So, tell me what's going on at school today."

Gain exchanged a conspiratorial look with Taecyeon, which he almost missed when Blackie hopped into his lap "Well, we're having a musical group come in today."

"A musical group?" Jun looked to Taecyeon. 

Taec shrugged "I think maybe it's the high school band. It's part of their music program to introduce kids to the idea of learning an instrument."

Jun thought that was an interesting idea, but couldn't for the life of him remember this being on the schedule for May. He chalked it up to his Swiss cheese short-term memory and dug into his oatmeal.

11954234341082748434zeimusu_Swash_o  11954234341082748434zeimusu_Swash_o  11954234341082748434zeimusu_Swash_o  11954234341082748434zeimusu_Swash_o   

Since he wasn't able to drive with his broken leg, Taecyeon would be dropping him and Gain off at school today. Even though he'd spent time practicing with Taecyeon's car parked in the driveway, he still hadn't found a graceful way to get out of the car and then hop to the passenger side back door to get his crutches out. He wasn't the most graceful man on the planet and had almost ended up flat on his face a few times when he'd lost his balance on his one good leg.

"Is everyone buckled in?" Taec asked when he got into the car. He looked over his shoulder to see Gain."

"I'm buckled in. Daddy made sure."

"I can see that Daddy is buckled in too. You look very handsome, Daddy." Taec kissed the side of his head and started the car.

"Eww, kissing." 

Taecyeon grinned at her in the rearview mirror "Oh, so just because Jay hates kissing, you do too?"

"Yup!" Gain giggled "But I know that it means you love each other."

"Your daughter is the smartest kid on the planet."

Jun rolled his eyes. He in a deep breath to calm his nerves as Taecyeon pulled into the drop off lane at Little Wonder Clovers. This was it.

Taecyeon parked the car and quickly ran around to open Jun's door before grabbing his crutches out of the back.

He wasn't going to make a big deal out of it, but he was so thankful Taecyeon was there to see him off on his first day back "Love you."

Taec smiled "I love you too. I'll pick you up after your staff meeting." Taecyeon turned to Gain "Have a great day at school, love bug. I can't wait to hear all about the band concert!"

"Bye, Taec!" Gain waved as she walked at Jun's side toward the school doors.

Jun could see Junho and Ewon waiting for him. They pushed through the heavy double doors and held them open "Welcome back, Jun!" they both chorused. 

"I told you guys I didn't want you to make a big deal about my first day back." Christ, Jun hoped none of the other teachers or the kids were going to make a big deal about his return.

"Who's making a big deal?" Junho winked at Ewon.

"Yeah! We're just two professional colleagues holding the door open for our boss." Ewon ushered Jun into the main lobby.

Jun felt like a bit of a . There was no kid-made banner welcoming him back to school and from where he stood, he couldn't see any flowers waiting for him on the counter of the main office "Sorry, guys. Have a great day. I'll see you at the staff meeting this afternoon."

"Come on, Gain! We've got a lot to learn today." Junho escorted her toward the classroom.

"Bye, Daddy!" Gain giggled into her hand and walked with Junho and Ewon.

Jun watched his little girl head down the hall with his two best friends. He was lucky to be surrounded by so many people who loved him.

Heading into his office, Jun was relieved that there weren't any cards or gifts or anything that would remind him of the accident. It was nice that so many people at the school and in the community had reached out to him while he'd been convalescing, but all he wanted to do going forward was to put the accident behind him. Coming back to work was step one in that plan.

Jun his computer and soon all thoughts of the accident were behind him as he got lost in the literal mountain of email that had stacked up over the last three weeks. Some of it was junk mail letting the staff know there were donuts in the teacher's room or that the music teacher was out with the stomach flu. He was able to sort through those messages easily.

"Hey, Jun, are you coming?" Junho asked from his door.

"Coming where?" , did he miss a meeting? Damn his spotty memory.

"To the concert. It starts at 10am."

"Christ, it's ten already?" time really did fly when you were having fun. He still had a lot of email to go through, not to mention a stack of student evaluations to sign off on. After missing three weeks of work, he really didn't have time to go to a performance put on by the high school band. He could only pray that after the show, Gain wasn't going to ask to learn the drums "I'm gonna skip the show. I still have a ton of work to catch up on."

"You're the principal. You have to come, even if it's for a minute. Plus the kids are going to be so excited to see you." 

Jun knew Junho had a point "Okay, fine." Jun grabbed his crutches and followed Junho out the door. They turned right out of the main office and headed toward the gym, which was the only place big enough to host kindergarten through third grade all at once.

Walking into the gym, Jun could see the high school band holding their instruments at the ready. He could also see the teachers gathered together off to the side of the band. The kids were standing in a semi-circle with large poster boards in front of them.

"Okay kids, hit it!" Junho called out.

Jun stared in shock as the students started to play a rousing, marching band version of Wind Beneath My Wings. He could see the kids were starting to hold up their poster boards. Each one had a letter painted on it. 

A sentence started to form as the kids started holding up their boards one by one "Will you marry me, Kim junMin?"

"Jay and Gain, switch places!" Ewon called out.

"Will you marry me, Kim Minjun?" Taecyeon said from behind him.

When Jun managed to turn around, Taecyeon was down on one knee holding a platinum band in his hand.

"Say yes, Jun!" Hwang Narsha shouted. 

"Say yes!" Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul yelled.

"Listed to Doctor Khunnie, Jun, say yes!" Jay chorused "Oops, I mean Principal Kim."

Gain set down her card and ran to Jun "Say yes, Daddy. I want us to marry Taecyeon."

Jun was overwhelmed. The band was still playing while all of his friends were gathered together with their fingers crossed. Narsha and Nichlhun had taken time out of their days to be here for Taecyeon's proposal.

"I love you so much, Kim Minjun. I promise to make you the happiest man on earth if you say yes."

"I already am the happiest man on earth." Jun still couldn't believe this was happening. Taecyeon was on his knees with a gorgeous ring asking for his hand in marriage. What else could he say to the love of his life but "Yes!"

Taecyeon slipped the ring on Jun's hand and stood up to hug his fiancée "We're getting married." Taec whispered in his ear.

"Don't make me wait, Taecyeon." Jun held him tight. He'd marry the man of his dreams today if he could.

 

The End?