Chapter 18

Reading Writing Romance

Taecyeon

While Taecyeon had driven to the hospital, he'd used the Bluetooth feature in his car to call everyone. The first person on his list was Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul. He wanted a familiar face with Gain as soon as possible. His next call was to Ewon, knowing he'd be the stronger of the two and would break the news to Junho.

Then he'd called Jongup. After losing his sister only a few short months ago, it was a heartbreaking call to make. Lastly, he'd called Hwang Narsha, knowing Gain would want her there. Hell, he wanted Narsha there. If Taecyeon ever needed a surrogate mother, today was the day.

Taecyeon circled the parking lot at the hospital looking for an open spot. Finally finding one way out in the back of the lot, he got out of the car and sprinted to the emergency room doors. He ran inside and saw Nichkhun pacing the hallway with Gain cradled in his arms "Gainoo!" Taecyeon yelled.

"Taec!" Gain reached her arms out to him.

He took the little girl from Nichkhun's arms. She clung to him like she was never going to let him go. Taec couldn't help noticing the shallow cuts marking her arms and face. Her dress was hard and crusty in spots. 

Looking down at her, Taec could see it was blood "Jesus, Nichkhun. Is she hurt? The nurse who called said Gain was fine."

"She's fine." Nichkhun leaned in to whisper "The dried blood isn't hers. It's Jun's."

Taec gasped, feeling his knees go weak.

"Come sit." Nichkhun grabbed his elbow and led him over to the waiting room chairs. When they were settled into the hard plastic chairs, Nichkhun wrapped an arm around Taecyeon's shoulders "I got here only a few minutes after you called me. I read Gain's chart and she's fine, aside from the scratches you see. They're from broken glass."

"What happened, Nichkhun?" Gain whimpered against his neck, wrapping her arms more tightly around his neck.

"From what the paramedics on the scene told me, Jun's car was hit on the passenger side while he was making a left turn. The driver ran the red light at the intersection of Teheran-ro and Yongdongdae-ro and t-boned Jun's car."

"Yongdongdae-ro? What the hell was Jun doing down there? Little Wonder Clovers and his house are on the other side of the city."

"Muffin day." Gain grumbled. 

Muffin day? "Oh, you mean Jun was going to get muffins at the supermarket?"

Gain nodded, burrowing her face into Taecyeon's neck.

"That explains why he was there."

"The other driver walked away without a scratch."

Of course he ing did "Why did he run the light?"

"Told the cops he was late for work."

Christ wasn't that always the way? One thinking he was more important than anyone else "Did they arrest him?"

Nichkhun's face looked grim "The cops sighted him for reckless endangerment and let him go."

Taec felt like his blood was boiling "They let him go with just a ticket?"

Nichkhun nodded "For now. If anything happens to Jun..."

What Nichkhun was struggling to say was that the cops would arrest the driver for vehicular manslaughter if Jun died. Jesus Christ, things just kept getting worse "How is he, Nichkhun? Truthfully, none of that ambiguous platitude bull." 

"I wasn't able to get any information out of the doctor treating him. The head ER nurse said he's got a broken right tibia and a head injury. You know how head injuries are, Taec, they bleed like hell. That's where all of the blood on Gain came from. The car was hit and then spun into the guardrail. The paramedics said it was the driver's side that hit the guardrail and that's what caused the head injury."

It really was a miracle that Gain hadn't been hurt at all. He held the little girl tighter and prayed God would spare Jun.

He'd been such an idiot when it came to his stubborn ex. It didn't seem fair that just when he was determined to get Jun back that something like this would happen to derail their relationship again. He refused to believe that he and Jun were not destined to be together.

"Jesus Christ, Taecyeon! Gain!" Jongup shouted as he ran toward them "Are you okay little princess?" he wrapped his arms around Taec and Gain, pressing a kiss to the side of Gain's head.

"Uncle Guppie!" Gain reached out for him, but didn't let go of Taecyeon.

"Where's the doctor? What do we know about Junnie-hyung? Where's the that did this to my family?" Jongup's dark eyes blazed with fury.

"Calm down, Jongup." Nichkhun said softly "Come with me and I'll tell you everything I know." Nichkhun stood up and walked with Jun's brother toward the hallway. 

Taecyeon knew Nichkhun didn't want Gain to hear the gory details of what happened for a second time. He took this quiet time to look down at Gain who was shaking a bit and clinging to him like a starfish on a rock "How are you doing, love bug?"

Gain sniffled and looked up at Taec "I'm scared, Taec. Is Uncle Junnie gonna be an angel like my Mommy?"

Taecyeon's heart broke in that second. How the hell did he even answer the question? Did he lie or tell Gain what he knew? He decided to go with the truth "I don't know, honey. The doctors are trying to help him."

"What's gonna happen to me if he goes to heaven?" Gain's bottom lip quivered.

God almighty, he was not equipped to handle that kind of question.

"No one is going to heaven today." Hwang Narsha said, taking the empty seat next to Taecyeon.

"Grams!" Gain climbed into Narsha's lap and hugged her tight.

"I brought her some clothes to change into." Narsha leaned close to Taecyeon and kissed his head "Minjun is a strong man. He's going to pull through this and then the two of you can get yourselves sorted out."

"I took your advice. I showed up at the school with flowers and when I got there, everyone was freaking out because they didn't know where 

Jun and Gain were. It was awful, Narsha. I can't lose him. I just can't."

"And you won't, Taecyeon. I'm gonna get Gain changed and then we can talk some more, okay?"

Taec nodded absently. He'd meant every word he'd said to Narsha. He couldn't lose Jun. Even though they were broken up and hurting, Taecyeon knew Jun was the man he was destined to be with for the rest of his life.

"Hey." Nichkhun gave his shoulder a squeeze and pointed to the door leading to the emergency room. A doctor in blue scrubs was walking into the waiting room.

Ttaecyeon's heart froze in his chest. The doctor wasn't smiling. Jesus, please don't let the doctor tell me Jun is dead...