Create a New Meaning

Eye Contact

 

17:40

 

A few minutes later, Minho asked how Taemin liked the book. It was the start of a really long monologue, one that left Taemin in complete awe. Minho who had barely spoken last time he was here, was suddenly talking like a news anchor, telling him about all the little details that he had missed.

Hearing Minho talk about the book like this made Taemin realise how he had been ignorant to at least 80% of its contents. But honestly, he was barely able to focus on what came out of the taller’s mouth. Just the fact that he got to hear his voice like this was almost unbelievable.

Witness him talk about something he was passionate about was probably one of the most amazing things he had come across in ages. Minho's voice was steady, he never paused. It was one consistent flow of information spoken very softly but passionately at the same time.

At one point, Taemin had to interrupt Minho. It had been a while since the latter had started talking and he wondered too much to keep the question back.

“Do you always talk this much if it’s about books?” he asked, startling Minho who had troubles to react to the sudden question.

“I…” He started, taking a small pause to his monologue while Taemin patiently waited for him to find his words.

“It’s very facile to speak about Literary works. I have much to say. Furthermore, I cannot make mistakes as everything I say, I know is true - I learned it from the books.” Minho said after a long pause of thinking playing with the pencil in his hands while watching them closely.

“You are a fascinating person.” Taemin said looking at the older intensely. “Can you look at me?”

A shudder ran through Minho’s body at Taemin’s request and his shoulders rose as he made himself smaller than he actually was.

“Can you?” Taemin asked again softly. Gosh he would give anything for Minho to look at his face.

“I…” Minho said, and the blonde saw his eyeballs moving rapidly – like they always did when Minho felt uncomfortable.

“Do I make you uncomfortable?” Taemin suddenly felt bad for asking the question.

Another minute of silence later, Minho had calmed down a little and was able to answer the question.

“No.” He said, voice stable again. “No, not uncomfortable.”

He wasn’t done yet, so the blonde waited a little more for Minho to finish what he wanted to say.

“I don’t get asked many questions therefore answering them on the spot is highly challenging for me.”

“Do you want me to stop asking you questions?” Taemin asked, a little unsure what he should take out of this answer.

“No.” The answer came fast – almost surprising the younger.

“No?”

“No. You are welcome to ask any questions you want. I will do all in my might to answer what you are wondering.” These sentences were obviously carefully thought through as Minho took his time saying them out aloud slowly.

Taemin couldn’t quite grasp the situation. What had happened in this year? Why was he suddenly talking so well? Was it because he read the book and it felt easy to get in a conversation about it? Was it because something happened in Minho’s life that gave him more confidence? The younger had a hard time getting to a conclusion, but nevertheless, he was incredibly happy to be having a conversation with Minho. Somehow it didn’t feel as if he had been gone for almost a year. All the memories of their interactions last year were so vivid – he remembered the moment he first saw him, he remembered writing the first note. And he also remembered how excited he was when he first read Minho’s name – he remembered how hard it had been to leave.

“Can I ask you a question too?” Minho interrupted Taemin’s thoughts, surprising the other for the tenth time today.

He was speechless for a second before smiling brightly.

“Ask away Hyung.”

“H-Hyung?”

“Yes, you are older than me so I should call you Hyung, shouldn’t I?”

Minho didn’t answer but just shrugged his shoulders, fingers turning the pencil again.

“Your question?” Taemin asked – changing the topic.

The question didn’t come. Minho’s mind was full. So many thoughts floating around. Taemin called him Hyung. Normally only his younger brothers called him Hyung. Taemin wasn’t his younger brother. His younger brothers were at home. He had to get home on time.

What time was it? He still had to get some reading done for today. With a glance at his wrist watch, Minho noticed that it was already 6pm. Why hadn’t he started doing his assignment? Without another thought, he turned to his side to open his bag, taking out two printed articles he had to go over in the little time he had left.

Ferdinand De-Saussure takes apart literary texts by applying structural linguistics. It was an interesting approach. Minho was captivated. He had read many of his articles, but he had never been disappointed by him. The tiniest words could have a meaning - Everything means something. There was meaning also where there weren’t any words. So many things to think about.

Honestly, the idea of bricolage as the main component of creating something was fascinating. There was nothing that hasn’t been there before. Every artist just takes parts of what is already there and combines it in a new and unique way. To “invent” something completely new was therefore impossible.

Minho never had the need to invent anything. He loved what was in the world. Why did he need to create something when he can just enjoy what is given?

Somehow while his mind travelled, it got stuck on Taemin for a second. He enjoyed Taemin’s presence. He didn’t have to make him up. He was just there. Sometimes he was gone. But now he was there again. Could he create a different situation if he said something? Bricolage was complicated. If he wanted to create a new situation, he had to take something he had done before and put it in a new context – create a new meaning.

He ripped out a piece of paper from his notebook. The question he wanted to ask was written on the piece of paper and he placed it right in the centre of the table. To his surprise, Taemin wasn’t sitting across from him anymore. Did he leave? Why did he leave? They weren’t done talking, he still hadn’t asked the question.

With a look back to his article, his mind focused back on De-Saussure, pushing the blonde male and the questions about his whereabouts to the back of his consciousness.

Taemin was in the back of the coffee shop preparing some things for the pastry they would make for tomorrow. After trying for a few minutes, he had given up on getting Minho’s attention while the latter had gotten ready to read his texts. Everything was going so well and then suddenly out of nowhere, it was back to where it had been a year ago.

Strangely enough, Taemin felt kind of hurt. But probably he just had too many expectations. The way Minho had been talking to him today was close to a wonder and he was thankful for every single moment.

As much as he wanted to keep talking to the taller, as much did he want to leave him space. Obviously, the conversation was incredibly challenging for him and Taemin didn’t want the other to pressure himself over his boundary.

He looked at the clock, noticing that it was almost time for Minho to leave. Instantly, he walked out into the main area, watching as Minho packed his things and walked towards the door, mumbling the small goodbye he always did.

While the taller was walking through the door, Taemin spotted a piece of paper in the middle of the wooden table.

Did Minho leave him a message? Without hesitation, Taemin hurried over and read what was written in the beautiful, familiar script.

Please pardon my incapacity before. I was taken a back by you calling me Hyung. I wanted to ask you for an answer to the following question: How have you been?

Sincerely,  
           -Choi Minho

 

Taemin let the piece of paper fall back on the floor, not even bothering to put it down properly as he ran out of the café.

Minho hadn’t gotten far, maybe 100 meters and it wasn’t long until Taemin caught up with him.

“Yah Minho-Hyung!” he shouted while jogging towards the taller male who instantly stood still.

“You didn’t even let me answer your question. How dare you leave like that?” Taemin said loudly when he reached Minho – completely out of breath.

“I- I…” Minho tried, head hanging low while he held onto his bag for dear life.

“Don’t just leave please. I haven’t seen you in so long.” Taemin said, facing the taller.

“Are you feeling mad now?” The latter uttered, hands still gripping onto the leather of his treasured bag.

“No no no. Don’t get me wrong, I am not mad. I just wanted to answer your question.” He smiled while still breathing heavily.

“You should do some sports.” Minho mentioned on the side as if it was the most natural comment ever, startling Taemin for a second before an amused chuckle escaped the younger’s mouth.

“I really, honestly, cannot believe you.” The chuckle turned into a vivid laugh after Taemin noticed that Minho’s lips were curled upwards as well. So the other knew how to make jokes.

“I have been doing alright. But I’ll be honest with you.” Taemin started after recovering from his laugh. “This is the first time in a year I laughed like this.”


 

A/N

Hey everyone. Here we have a new chapter! I am still overwhelmed by the amount of comments I get for this story. The chapters are written so much faster than the ones from other stories (I usually write those at least 2-3 time and have them beta-ed) So the fact that you guys are showering me with love for this story is mindblowing (I mostly upload the first draft after reading over it maybe once or twice - without anyone else beta-ing)

So THANK YOU SOSOSO much for all your comments. They made me love this story more than I ever thought I would and they keep me going. <3

 

Have a great day/night

I'll see you next time

 

xx

R