~The beautiful you in the rain

Downpour

 

 

181118


 

 

‘I divorced my husband of eight years because I finally realised that I was a lesbian,’ Joohyun announces as soon as both she and Seungwan sit down on the first available coach in the corner of the pub. Sehun has disappeared to get them all drinks; Jongdae and Seulgi got stopped at the door by some friends and knowing Jongdae, it will take some time before he remembers that they are actually there to entertain an entirely different company.

Seungwan’s jaw goes slack, not entirely sure what she was expecting from the evening with the older woman but probably not such blatant honesty and openness towards a virtual stranger. Her mind starts reeling, looking for an appropriate answer but clearly not fast enough, because Joohyun finally turns around to her properly.

‘Just thought I’d get that out of the way,’ the woman adds, looking at the DJ matter-of-factly, no embarrassment or bashfulness in her words.

Oh, wow, Seungwan thinks, blinking. She has a feeling that she’s too sober for this kind talk.

‘Oh, well… Welcome to the club? I guess,’ Seungwan responds, pursing her lips awkwardly and nodding before she reflects. ‘I mean, not the divorced part, obviously. The other part.’

Somewhere along the short exchange, Seungwan recognises the near foolish bravery that accompanies those who have recently come out. Seungwan used to be like that, she used to be loud and angry about her uality, mistakenly assuming that everyone was against her and judging her, and therefore always going on the defence first.

Joohyun doesn’t seem loud, though, and she doesn’t seem angry either. She seems… bored? Bored, as if she has already been forced to explain herself one time too many. As if all eyes were constantly on her, this time for real.

Perhaps that really is the case.

Hearing the younger woman’s words, Joohyun sits straighter and gives Seungwan an inquisitive look.

‘So this is why my brother insisted that I go out with him tonight.’ The stare turns not so subtle as Joohyun looks the other up and down, as if trying to assess. ‘But I don’t know if you’re my type. I’ve never had a type, I think, so I’m not very good at this.’

Seungwan furiously blinks at her companion, at this point no longer certain if this isn’t by any chance an elaborate joke that she was set up for. Not by Sehun, he could never; but maybe by the rest of their gang. Bae Joohyun herself doesn’t look like a person who’d condone such humour – or waste time on it – but who knows. The conversation has taken a sudden, much too surreal turn for the radio host not to question its validity.

Seungwan decides that she might as well just retaliate with sarcasm of her own.

‘I have to admit, I wasn’t even aware until right this moment that this is supposed to be a blind date. Otherwise I’d’ve brought my special lesbian purse.’ Joohyun doesn’t laugh, though. Instead, she just looks at the other intensely, as if trying to decide on the next course of action.

‘I don’t know if I like you, Seungwan,’ she finally leans away, making herself more comfortable on the sofa and reaching out for her bag. She takes out her cell phone.

‘Ouch?’ The situation feels too weird for Seungwan to even really be offended.

‘But it doesn’t matter. Let’s exchange phone numbers. You can take me to a gay club, can’t you?’

The host’s mouth once again opens in surprise. Before she has the time to question the whiplash of information, Sehun arrives with drinks and that part of conversation is officially over.

Seungwan gulps down her mojito in one go.

 

 

 

‘So she wasn’t your type,’ Kim Yongsun reconfirms, trying to get a straight-forward answer out of the convoluted story that her friend Joohyun is telling her. She’s been standing at the door to Joohyun’s office for the last ten minutes, unconsciously rooted to the same spot where she was taken aback by her friend’s confession of the previous night. Joohyun approached her out of the blue just as the other was leaving and they were now both on their feet, awkwardly trying to analyse the situation.

If Yongsun had known that it was going to turn into a gossip session for the two of them, she’d have waited with her coffee break until now, not taken it an hour before. Especially when standing up proves more and more difficult with each passing day.

‘It’s hard to say…’ Joohyun hedges. Yongsun was the first one that Joohyun came out to, even before Junmyeon and Sehun. It was stressful but at the time Joohyun figured that if she couldn’t receive acceptance from her friend of almost nine years, nobody else would grant her the same. She was not disappointed. ‘She was nice, very talkative. I think she was nervous, Sehun didn’t tell her that I was… you know. She took it as a set-up.’

‘Wasn’t it?’ Yongsun frowns again, crossing her arms over her chest as much as she can with a pile of documents she is still holding. ‘I mean, your brother doesn’t seem an extremely cunning person so maybe not.’

‘I guess he just thought that I could use a friend…’ Joohyun responds hesitantly. She has yet to discuss the previous night with her younger half-brother.

‘You do have friends. Several. So either he deems that girl good enough for you, or he thinks that you need a 101 in lesbianism from a more profession guide,’ Yongsun jokes, feeling relief when her companion finally chuckles lightly. She’s been worried all this while – worried that Joohyun will take this new post-divorce situation as an excuse to close herself off, like many do.

‘Maybe I do,’ she only teases back.

But the Joohyun that Yongsun knows is not the kind of person. If anything, she seems even more determined to get back on the proverbial horse even though, having met her ex-husband at seventeen, she has never really been part of the dating scene. No, Bae Joohyun is most certainly not dwelling on her still not yet fully closed chapter of the past. Rather, the only problem that can arise from the situation is the fact that the woman has always been impatient and she might get easily discouraged by the lack of immediate response to her active search of a romantic partner.

‘So you don’t know if you like her. But you’re still meeting her for lunch today, aren’t you. Is that why I’m being stood up? Do I need to fight her for your attention from now on?’ Yongsun continues humorously, narrowing her eyes in suspicion in an attempt to lighten up the mood.

‘Please, nobody would take you seriously. You look like a big watermelon, my friend,’ Joohyun gives her colleague’s protruding belly a pointed look. The other nods in defeat at her six month pregnant appearance.

‘And I feel like one,’ she replies. ‘I’m so full of water, I have to ing pee every fifteen minutes.’

‘Language. This baby better not inherit your mouth.’ Joohyun shakes her index finger in mock upset in Yongsun’s direction, turning around and walking up to her desk. The conversation suddenly reminded her of the message she was supposed to send to Son Seungwan earlier this morning but she has been too busy with the budgeting for the next quarter to actually do it.

Yongsun follows her back to the room, leaving the door slightly ajar.

‘It better does. We don’t need another killjoy in this house, my dear husband is enough of a downer.’ When she receives no reply, she snickers. ‘Look at you, already so preoccupied with your new girlfriend. Today a date, tomorrow a wedding..?’

‘You’re going on a date?’ Joohyun looks up at third voice joining in. She inwardly sighs – trust Junmyeon to know exactly when to enter the scene.

‘Not really a date, just… Making a new friend?’ She replies, knowing exactly that no matter how casual she is about it, Junmyeon’s overthinking will do the heavy lifting for her.

‘It is a date. They met last night. At a bar,’ Yongsun bombards the man with what Joohyun considers absolutely unnecessary information. Now she sighs for real, seeing the man’s expression.

‘Oh. That’s… that’s nice. Good luck,’ Junmyeon quickly reflects, before clearing his throat loudly and pretending that he doesn’t feel utterly uncomfortable. He’s not doing a good job of it.

‘It’s not a date,’ Joohyun insists anyway, but the seed has already been planted. She knows her ex-husband, too well. This is all he will obsess over for the rest of his day.

This is why Joohyun didn’t want Junmyeon to find out. Not now, when there is virtually nothing happening between her and Seungwan, or anyone for that matter. She wanted to take her time; to distance herself from him and to give him time to get over the unexpected curve ball that she has sent his way when she asked for divorce. He certainly does not need to know that she is looking around - actively too.

He doesn’t need to think that she has managed to get over their fourteen year relationship in the span of only three months, or that she didn’t love him enough to take the time to mourn his loss.

Even if that is perhaps exactly what’s happened.

But it’s not that she has never loved him. She only suspects that she has never actually loved him the way that she supposed to as his wife, and neither of them deserves to be stuck in a half-hearted situation like that.

‘Is there something I can help you with?’ She finally says when the silence between them prolongs. She notices from the corner of her eye Yongsun making a vague hand motion before she quickly withdraws in the direction of her own office. Trust her best friend to cause the damage and then leave Joohyun to deal with its aftermath. But it isn’t really Yongsun’s fault, anyway; she would have had to face this problem sooner or later, anyway. Joohyun just hoped that it wouldn’t be a Wednesday morning when she is tired and hasn’t had her coffee yet.

‘I was just going to ask whether you’ve had the time to look over the financial proposal for the Mucha exhibition,’ the man responds, attempting to sound normal but there is still that strange tinge to his tone, letting Joohyun know that he will not forget about her plans so easily. She supposes that it is unavoidable, seeing how they work together but it still feels awkward. It’s almost impossible to have a fresh start with a former lover looming over your back and the woman is quickly becoming acutely aware of it.

‘I’ve made some alterations because we will not be able to accommodate all thirty paintings. Read through and write me an email with your feedback. I’ll get back to it when I have a free moment, since it’s not an immediate concern yet,’ she hands him the file lying at the bottom of her own little pile of accomplished tasks for the week.

‘Right. You prefer everything in writing.’ He smiles at her, almost expectantly and Joohyun nearly cringes because she knows exactly what the man is doing. Looking for validation. Making sure that he’s still the one that knows her best. The little ticks of his that she has always taken for granted and never questioned – even appreciated at times - suddenly all begin making sense and Joohyun cannot help but get annoyed.

She doesn’t want to hurt him because it’s not fair to him when he’s done nothing wrong. But if she keeps indulging him, it might not end well in a long run. Junmyeon doesn’t look like he has fully come to terms with her decision and it is in all of their best interest that he do, and fast.

She says nothing, busying herself with uselessly shuffling her belongs around on the surface, hoping he gets the hint. He doesn’t.

‘How’s the apartment?’ He asks again, awkwardly standing in front of her, squeezing the papers given to him with much more force than necessary.

‘It’s fine, I suppose. Comfortable,’ she replies curtly. What are you doing..?

‘So you went out last night?’ He tries again and this time she looks up.

‘Junmyeon, please. Let’s not do this.’ Her plea is soft spoken, vague but her ex-husband understands anyway. He heaves out what is probably meant to be an embarrassed chuckle but it sounds too short and too flat to be one.

‘I don’t know how to not do this,’ he admits. His grip on the folder intensifies.

‘I’m sorry, but you will have to learn,’ she says only, her heart breaking at his resigned expression. ‘I know what you’re doing but you don’t have to. We need… time, not bonding right now.’

‘So we can’t even be friends anymore?’

‘I think that’s something you should ask yourself.’ Once again, he understands the connotation immediately for he reddens and nods.

‘Have a good day,’ he bids her a quick farewell without another glance, leaving in a rush.

Joohyun sighs. She knew it was going to be difficult when he uprooted and turned her whole life upside down. Even though the majority of her family and friends were almost surprisingly very accommodating and supportive, she cannot expect the same from Junmyeon. Is that what being stuck between the iron and the hot place feels like?

 

 

 

Seungwan herself doesn't really know why she agreed to go out for lunch with Bae Joohyun of all people. She was, for the lack of a better word, completely ambushed by Sehun the previous night - despite the somewhat fair warning. As she hasn't seen him the entire morning, it is hard to gauge if his actions were an actual set-up or merely a genuine concern for his sister. Especially since, judging from Joohyun's relaxed and unbothered attitude, she clearly doesn't need any cheering up.

Seungwan looks up to confirm the building in front of her, but it's just a formality. Busan Cinema Center is but the most well-known institution in the city. It also so happens to be where her lunch date works. Seungwan looks over the text she received around 10 o'clock while she was still recovering in bed. She didn't get particularly drunk the evening before but she is also an infamous lightweight in their circle so it didn't take a lot for her to secure a headache the next day. Normally Seungwan would still be in her pyjamas at this hour, but Joohyun asked to meet for lunch and intrigued, Seungwan agreed, offering to pick her up straight from her office as the radio host doesn't need to show up for work until early afternoon. She still doesn't really know what she thinks of the older woman, but it has been some time since she has had an opportunity to meet anyone new, and especially this blunt. In a way, it is quite refreshing.

Despite the seemingly abrupt ending of their initial exchange, Joohyun didn't hesitate to fill her in with details of the story between more shots of tequila. She didn't sound upset or particularly traumatised; more than anything, she seemed in a rush to start her new life and Seungwan, despite all the accompanying absurdity, found her proactive attitude endearing. God only knows that whatever Joohyun wishes for will not happen overnight, and might not happen even in a year or two, if Seungwan is to be only one example of the drought on the local dating scene.

She arrives at the lobby, looking around with interest. She's been there barely a handful of times, usually around October when Busan Film Festival takes place and she is sent as extra help to conduct interviews as events tend to all take place at once and it's hard for only one reporter to get a hold of every single artist appearing in the area. Try as hard as Jongdae might, it’s impossible for him to be in four places at once. As long as it’s still not cold and windy, Seungwan doesn’t mind the job; otherwise, she doesn't particularly care for films, going more often to indulge her friends rather than please herself.

There is a receptionist there, barely paying attention to her surroundings as she busies herself with organising the paperwork in front of her and Seungwan decides that there is no point bothering her. Her companion is bound to appear sooner or later as arranged so the woman approaches the posters hanging on the opposite wall, announcing upcoming exhibitions and movie screenings. She looks through them, feigning mild interest. It's still better than simply standing there awkwardly.

'Can I help you?' She turns around only to spot the rather tall man in a navy suit standing behind her. She frowns in surprise at the sudden attention because it is ultimately a public space and such mindful attitude is not common, as far as she is aware.

'I'm- I'm just waiting for a friend, she works here,' she feels obliged to explain, for a reason she cannot even fully comprehend. She has always had the tendency to blubber a lot when pressured or taken back.

'Oh yeah?'

'Bae Joohyun,' she adds, once again without prompting. Is this man working here or..? Seungwan begins regretting her oversharing when the man’s frown deepens, as if assessing her. She is aware that her attire is not as impeccable looking as his is. With a simple pair of black jeans, a khaki wind breaker and her blonde hair tied in a messy bun on top of her head, Son Seungwan looks every inch relaxed and casual.

She doesn’t want to assume Bae Joohyun’s romantic interest – especially since she was so unceremoniously shot down the night before, without making a single move on the other woman whatsoever - so she decided to just be her comfortable self for the occasion. She has a feeling that the man in front of her does not approve.

'I'm here, sorry for being late.' Bae Joohyun descends the stairs in the exact moment that Seungwan is ready to find the first plausible excuse and flee. The older woman looks as elegant as the man does – a white blouse, a pencil skirt and high heels to finish the professional look. She is carrying a black coat draped over her elbow, blindly sorting out her possessions in a small bag and simultaneously trying not to trip.

When she notices the man standing on the side, she sends him a tight smile and nods at Seungwan, quickening her step.

'Let's go,' Joohyun decides without hesitation, leading the younger woman away from the brewing awkwardness. 'I'll see you later,' she tells the man in passing and the two exit without another word in a rather rushed pace. Once they have distanced themselves from the building, Joohyun and her high heels slow down considerably, turning to her companion. 'Ex-husband, sorry about that.'

So that was Kim Junmyeon? Seungwan has seen him once or twice in the past, but standing just far way for her to not be able to remember clearly. His features rang familiarity but nothing more. In all honesty, Seungwan doesn’t even remember having been introduced to him at that one function she attended upon Sehun’s invitation.

'I thought your divorce was amicable?' She can’t help but ask when they face each other again.

'It was,’ Joohyun confirms before sighing deeply. ‘But feelings are not something that you can erase just as fast. It’s not as easy as signing a piece of paper so…’ She trails away.

‘So you’re trying to be patient with him?’ Seungwan guesses.

‘Something like that. He heard that I was meeting you and I honestly wouldn’t put it past him to show up downstairs on purpose. Sorry again.’ Joohyun approaches the road, looking around for a taxi. She changes the subject. ‘How about we get out of Centum for a while? My lunch break is quite long and all my colleagues will probably stay in this area. I don't wanna fuel any more gossip, I’m having enough of it as it is.’

‘Sure,’ Seungwan agrees easily and both get in the back seat once the car arrives. Joohyun gives the driver her desired address and the younger doesn’t question her choice. It is a seafood restaurant that she has heard of before. It is only when they arrive does Seungwan belatedly realise that this venture might just be way above her daily budgeting. The menu located on the stand outside the door indicates prices of 90,000 won and more per dish.

‘Don’t worry, it’s my treat.’ Joohyun notices the now wary look that Seungwan sends the establishment and quickly pushes the blonde inside before she has time to contest the lunch plans that Joohyun has made.

‘Oh, I’ll just pay for my-‘

‘Nonsense, I asked you to come. It’s only logical that I pay.’ Seungwan doesn’t say anything to that, merely looking around discreetly as they are being led towards a cosy table in the corner. Joohyun has booked in advance – of course he has; she looks like a person well put together. Everywhere else, the radio host notices nicely dressed couple sharing lobster and, strangely enough for the early timing, cocktails.

Wait, is this a dat-

‘It’s not a date, don’t worry.’ Joohyun announces as if reading the other woman’s mind. She hangs her coat on the chair closest to her, before sitting down and receiving the menu from the waiter.

Not that Seungwan thought it was a meeting of a romantic nature - after all, she did purposely dress her usual self, not to impress – but it’s still a little disappointing, to be once again rejected so explicitly.

‘Do you have any preference?’ Joohyun looks at Seungwan expectantly and the latter becomes aware of the fact that she spaced out for a tiny bit, without having even opened the lunch booklet handed to her.

‘Er, I mean, I’m not that familiar with seafood.’ Beyond ironic, considering that they live near the ocean and it is only Busan’s specialty. ‘My flatmate’s boyfriend makes the most awesome chilli shrimp, but that’s about it. Maybe you can just order for the two of us?’ She doesn’t know if that is the answer that Joohyun is waiting for but she only nods and points to several things on the card, finishing her order with two glasses of white wine.

‘Goes well with the lobster,’ the older explains off handedly. She busies herself with her purse for a moment, eventually putting on glasses with a sharp, black rim. Not that Seungwan needs any more reminding but Bae Joohyun is attractive and now that she’s turned out to be a lesbian, her attractiveness only intensified.

The radio host inwardly curses Oh Sehun for putting her in this situation in the first place. His sister’s hotness is something that Seungwan would rather not know about, especially not when Joohyun comes with a lot of problems, top of the list being an obviously jealous ex-husband.

Or the fact that Seungwan is apparently not even remotely interesting to her.

‘So you’re probably wondering why I asked you out like that,’ Joohyun prompts again, finally properly facing her companion. Seungwan inadvertently strengthens in her chair, feeling the scrutiny all over.

‘Yes,’ Seungwan decides that she’s been coy enough for today and Joohyun seems to appreciate the radical change in her attitude, for she smiles widely.

‘Let me phrase it like that. I don’t know what my brother was trying to achieve when he arranged our meeting last night, but if he was hoping to set us up, he’ll be disappointed. I don’t think someone like me will mesh well with someone like you. I’m not trying to offend you, I’m just stating facts,’ she rushes when she notices Seungwan open . ‘You’re very pretty but I think we might just drive each other crazy and I suppose I need a girl more similar to myself, in both line of work and general attitude.’

Seungwan wants to argue that they don’t even know each other well enough to put forward claims of this sort but on second thought, she remains silent. If Bae Joohyun has already decided – unprompted – that she doesn’t find Seungwan attractive then the latter should not beg her to reconsider. Especially when this whole ordeal has been so surreal from the start and she might just be right. Perhaps this was never fated and Seungwan merely got her hopes up due to the on-going drought in her own romantic life.

‘So you called me here to reject me? I don’t remember ever making a move on you, though.’ As usual, Seungwan decides to laugh it all off. ‘Wow, maybe it is my lucky day, after all. I’m even getting a big break up lobster without having invested one ounce of emotions into this relationship.’

‘Don’t be silly,’ Joohyun dismisses, putting her forearms on the table and tenting her fingers together as she gives Seungwan her full attention. Her smile makes Seungwan somewhat uneasy.

‘So what do you need me for? You’re looking for a friend or something?’ The younger frowns, grabbing the glass of water standing in front of her and taking a sip.

'Son Seungwan, you’re gonna help me find the woman of my dreams,’ Bae Joohyun announces, finally leaning away.

Seungwan chokes.

 

 

A/N: Thank you for sticking around. Now that I've outlined this story, updating should go faster. Please upvote if you liked and have a good day~

 

*Title: Taeyeon - Rain