~When the rain starts, it will soak even my heart

Downpour

 

 

180619


 

 

‘…That was Duncan Sheik and his Half-life,’ the female DJ announces in a soft, velvety voice before letting out a thoughtful hum. ‘Although at times it might indeed seem that moments are slipping though our fingers, let us not forget that it is never too late to start again and to love again. How do I put it?’ She hums again. ‘If you are in a dark place right now, I assure you that it will not last. You will heal and you will learn to trust again. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow, but someday. And that day is closer than you think. Right now? This is just a downpour, it’s nothing. Just a violent torrential rain that shall pass in a blink of an eye. We are in Busan after all, aren’t we. We’re more than experienced,’ she chuckles to herself quietly. ‘Now, as for the next song we have a caller’s request for Han Kyungsoo’s Angel. I will leave my dear listeners with this last tune as I say good-bye for the evening. This has been Son Seungwan and your evening choice One of the-

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon turns off the radio that all this time has been playing in the background before looking back at Joohyun with an air of finality.

‘You sure you don’t need my help unpacking?’ His smile is tight, awkward even as he takes one long glance around the room packed to the brim with boxes. The woman dismisses him with an accommodating hum and a quick head shake.

‘Sehun promised to stop by later. Plus, don’t take it the wrong way but I really just need you not to be in my house right now.’ For a moment, Joohyun thinks that her companion might take offence but then he chuckles shortly, nodding in understanding.

‘Fair enough,’ he replies. ‘I’ll be out of your hair, then.’ He does not move though, still surveying the surroundings. ‘It’s so weird to go back home alone,’ he admits, looking her in the eyes one more time. She approaches him, squeezing his left palm in both of her own.

‘We’ve lived apart for quite some time already…’ She gently reminds him of the last three months and he lowers his head, sheepish.

‘That’s true. It just feels so… final.’

‘I just really need some time alone right now. So don’t feel bad, because I’m not your responsibility anymore.’

He nods again, his smile even more pained but he does step towards the exit this time.

‘You will never not be my responsibility, Bae.’ He sighs. ‘It’s not like we can avoid each other at work but I’ll do my best to give you space. Just… if you ever need anything, I’m still here for you.’

When the man finally disappears in the lift, Joohyun closes the door promptly, letting out the breath she didn’t realise she was holding until now. It does seem final, she concedes, Junmyeon’s words coming back to her like an echo. But in a good way.

Everyone said that theirs was a perfect relationship. The prettiest faces in their academy, they inevitably gravitated towards each other. At that time the attention of somebody as well liked and good looking as Kim Junmyeon flattered Joohyun immensely. He was the perfect gentleman, taking her on romantic dates and protecting her when necessary. Even though it has never been in her personality to be coddled or excessively taken care of, she liked it. She felt special. She didn’t know any better.

High school sweethearts, they both graduated on top of their class, both aced their entrance exams, both received perfect scores on their university diplomas. Their wedding was beautiful beyond belief. Joohyun looked like a princess, walking up the altar in her silky white dress and Junmyeon, Junmyeon felt like the luckiest man on Earth. They went on a perfect honeymoon, found perfect jobs and a perfect apartment overlooking the ocean. Joohyun’s in-laws adored her, her husband adored her, her co-workers adored her. The proverbial world was at her feet.

Then passed eight years of marriage that for an untrained eye looked absolutely blissful.

Eventually, even their divorce was perfect. Joohyun has always been aware that Junmyeon loved her much more than she could ever love him, but he still accepted what he couldn’t change and signed the papers without creating any real difficulties. They split up amicably, dividing their assets fairly though in all honesty, Joohyun didn’t initially want to allow it for the simple fact that Junmyeon had brought in incomparably more into their union - mainly his family possessions as well as the apartment partially paid off by his parents as a wedding gift. He has even helped her pack and move into the new flat in Centum City.

Although it isn’t nearly far enough from their old place as she would like, she cannot exactly afford to move away just for the sake of it when her office is virtually around the corner. The couple still shares their work environment, their small circle of friends and for seven more months, even that silly yacht docked in the harbour that Junmyeon insisted on renting, hoping to find a high class hobby that he could later invest in. Like her ex-husband said, there is no avoiding each other and no real point to do so either, except maybe the slight awkwardness.

But he has been perfect until the very end. Joohyun, though? Joohyun is certainly not.

She ruined that impression on March the 9 when she finally gathered the courage to look him in the eye and say that she couldn’t do it anymore.

 

 

 

‘Seungwan! Seungwan!’

The woman turns around at the sound of fast footsteps and somewhat hesitant calling. The presence immediately brings out a sincere smile on her lips. She stops mid step, adjusting the strap of her canvas bag as she waits for her companion to catch up to her.

‘Hey, you still around? Thought all writers have already left for the evening.’

‘Yeah well, I was going to, actually, but then I remembered Jinki hyung told me to proof read the script for Chanyeol hyung’s broadcast tomorrow and long story short, it to be the youngest in the team. I’ll be their errand boy until I’m forty.’

Seungwan laughs. Sehun is easily her favourite co-worker. On a more timid side, he nonetheless possesses the sort of positive attitude that the woman herself is keen to be around. He doesn’t speak often but when he does, it’s always smart and to the point.

Or sometimes, like every human being, he will complain but the way he voices out his problems remains Seungwan more of a fatigued fondness than real annoyance. And team leader Lee never really takes advantage of her friend, anyway.

‘I was wondering if you’re going to that get together at ten? At Sharky’s?’

Oh, right. It has completely slipped Seungwan’s mind that there was supposed to be a company outing to welcome this year’s batch of summer interns. The clock on the wall right behind the man conveniently catches her attention and indicates that it is already quarter past eight o’clock. Normally Seungwan herself would have stayed after the end of the broadcast to look over outlines for the next day, but the studio is already virtually deserted so she’s off the hook.

In all honesty, drinking with her boss is the last thing that the woman wants to be doing tonight but her mood has nothing to do with the friends that she expects to see there – on the contrary, their division is quite small in numbers and therefore by default, tight and protective of each of its members. It’s just that the week has been exceptionally stressful and tonight’s show has also tired her out to the bone.

‘Ah, I mean…’ She trails away, unsure what to say. Sehun frowns, looking apologetic as he reminds her that,

‘Some of those interns will work on your content throughout the season so you might wanna take a closer look at them before the actual routine starts.’ That’s Sehun’s way of reminding her that it’s incredibly rude not to introduce herself to them on the first day (or night).

She sighs as she nods.

‘I guess I’ll be there, then. What’s it to you, though?’ She asks curiously. He looks away, biting his lower lip for a moment as if trying to decide how to phrase his request.

‘Well, here’s the thing. I was kinda hoping that you could help me with something. You know my older sister…’

‘Yeah?’ Seungwan prompts encouragingly after a few seconds of hesitance on Sehun’s part.

Having worked in Busan Far East radio station for more than three years, Seungwan thinks that she can pride herself in knowing the majority of her team like a family would. Although they don’t meet outside work often, they do nonetheless spend a lot of time together. Every now and then, conversations of a more personal nature are bound to seep through their regular shop talk; and especially among those of similar age, the bond is quite comfortable and friendly. Sehun, Jongdae, Sooyoung and Seulgi are more than just everyday background noise – they are good friends and reliable companions in times of need. They are people who are the first ones to get her drunk on a party but also the last ones there, holding her hair when she pukes into the toilet bowl.

For a person without real blood ties like Seungwan herself, that means everything.

‘What about her?’ She asks again when Sehun delays.

Who in their office doesn’t know Sehun’s sister? Although related only through their mother, the half-siblings are all the same close and she is part of his everyday life nearly as much as his job and his circle of friends. Seungwan hears of Bae Joohyun frequently enough and Sehun has no problem bringing her up in the conversation comfortably. The radio host has also briefly met the older woman soon after she joined BFE, though not long enough to be able to call it a real introduction. Being one of the organisers, Joohyun had gifted her younger brother tickets to an orchestra performance taking place in Busan Cinema Centre. Seungwan tagged along at the time – so did Seulgi – but the four of them exchanged no more than a few words before Joohyun had to leave to welcome the other guests. From afar, Seungwan could only admire the lithe silhouette in a long, strapless cocktail dress making her rounds among the invited and making sure that there was enough champagne for everyone.

Truth be told, Seungwan forgot all about their brief encounter the moment her own drink arrived.

But she ended up learning everything there is to know about Bae Joohyun in the following months anyway. Perfect face, perfect job, perfect husband. Apartment in Dongbaek? I think Sehun mentioned that on one occasion, Kim Junmyeon’s family had it bought for them. Otherwise nobody their age could ever afford to live there. Seungwan’s own three-room flat that she shares with Seulgi is just off Namcheon subway station and that find in itself was incredibly lucky as it takes them less than twenty minutes to get to work without killing themselves over rent every month.

‘She got divorced today.’ Seungwan, who has involuntarily taken an express train down the memory lane during the ten seconds that it took Sehun to articulate his next sentence, nearly snaps her neck at the information, that’s how fast she lifts her head in surprise.

‘Oh. Erm, that’s- that’s horrible.’ She doesn’t know what kind of reaction her friend needs from her, and whether this development even affects him directly.

He is quick to elaborate.

‘They’ve been separated for a few months now so it’s not exactly a shock to the family or anything.’ Did Sehun ever mention this? Seungwan’s too tired to remember. ‘They just finally made it official. But, I was wondering…’

‘Oh Sehun, what is it? Spit it or we’ll be standing here all night.’ She warns him, some of her usual playfulness still present despite the fatigue.

‘I wanna bring her to the gathering tonight, but I need somebody to keep her company.’

‘Why? You gonna be busy making moves on Sooyoung?’

‘What- No!’ Sehun goes beetroot red on the spot, spouting indignantly. Seungwan cackles evilly, energy so needed for the night ahead suddenly replenished. They all love teasing him about his crush, mostly because he never fails to amuse them. Sometimes it to be the third wheel in their little group but sometimes, in situations like this one, it certainly does not.

‘What is it then?’ He sighs, giving up on trying to explain to his friend that no, he does not want to go out with Sooyoung.

‘You’re good at this,’ he says simply. It’s his turn to take the woman by surprise. ‘At consoling people. Your listeners love you. I, on the other hand, never know what to say.’

‘You write my scripts, Sehun,’ she gently reminds him with a smile but he just shakes his head.

‘It’s not the same. I only write the outlines. Your best lines always come from experience.’

‘Was it a bad break-up?’ Seungwan asks after a moment, suddenly reluctant to take on the responsibility that could potentially become Bae Joohyun’s divorce advice. Sehun denies more vigorously.

‘Not at all. It’s… quite complicated, I guess I shouldn’t talk about it unless she chooses to share the details but my sister and Junmyeon hyung are completely okay. I mean, as okay as you can be when you divorce after 8 years of marriage,’ he admits.

‘So it was a mutual decision?’ Seungwan supplies, still unsure what it is exactly that she’s supposed to do with this information.

‘She asked for it. She… she just wasn’t happy with her life.’

When he falls silent again, the woman purses her lips, thinking it over.

‘So you want me to console her a little?’

‘…I don’t think she’s all that sad, actually.’ At Seungwan’s confused frown, Sehun adds. ‘It’s more, like, melancholy? What I would like is if you could just strike up a conversation with her once we arrive. About anything, really. I don’t want her to be alone tonight in the new apartment but I’m not such a good company. In fact, don’t even mention that I told you about her problems. I think what she needs right now is simply a night away from her current life. That’s all.’

‘Okay, I can definitely do that,’ Seungwan assures, although deep inside she still feel reluctance at the prospect of what could technically be a very awkward dinner arrangement.

‘Great. I’ll mention it to Seulgi and Jongdae hyung as well but you know what they’re like when we’re out in a bigger group. I can only count on you, Seungwan.’ You mean, I’m the only miserable single, got it, tightens in an uneasy smile, though she knows that Sehun doesn’t mean it that way.

But while all her heteroual friends pretty much flirt among themselves, she has limited choices. A deep sigh escapes her lips. It’s been too long since she last hit the clubs in Jung-gu.

 

 

 

‘Can’t we just stay in tonight? I thought you were going to help me unpack,’ Joohyun counters her brother’s unexpected invitation to his company’s dinner. His words catch her half way through washing the new dishes and putting them away to the cupboard above the sink.

‘We can always do that tomorrow. I think it will do you some good if you get away for a moment. I promise all my friends are cool with it.’

‘Sehun, I don’t know…’

‘Junmyeon hyung is worried about you, too. He doesn’t want you to sit around and overthink.’

Junmyeon’s the one who always overthinks, not me, Joohyun silently begs to differ, clearly exasperated but otherwise keeping quiet. It’s obvious that her ex-husband asked her too gullible for his own good younger brother to keep an eye on her, even though it was Joohyun herself who filed for their separation, not the other way around. But if it means that Junmyeon will stop worrying about her, she supposes that she can indulge him by making it clear that she is not in any way miserable without him.

Then again, perhaps that realisation will only further dampen his already sour mood but they no longer owe each other anything, and while Joohyun will always care for the man, she now doubts whether it was ever possible for her to be in love with him. Trust and companionship have been there, yes, but attraction? Probably shallow and reaching only as far as acknowledging the man’s objective handsomeness. He’s been good to her all this time. He was somebody to brag about at work. They’ve always shared pleasant conversations.

But it wasn’t all that great either – especially not in the department that was supposed to be her marital responsibility. At first she thought she was just nervous. After some time, she became utterly confused at her own inability to enjoy with him. Towards the end of their marriage, though, turned into pure torture.

When she finally admitted in front of herself just why she felt that way, she wasn’t in any way horrified; she was relieved instead.

‘But only for a little while, alright? I really am tired, it’s not an excuse. I would have been fine anyway, it’s really not such a big deal to be home alone. I was just going to turn in for the night, maybe watch a movie in bed or something.’

No doubt she would have gone straight to her Carol DVD and started ing, like she has for the past three months thinking that she has at least eight years’ worth of pleasure to catch up on but her younger brother certainly does not need to know that.

Sehun nods, content at her change of mind.

‘It’s just Sharky’s. If I call the taxi now, we should be there in no more than thirty minutes.’ Gwangalli beach is close enough to the part of Haeundae that Joohyun now lives in but in all honesty, everything is close enough in a city like Busan.

‘I don’t wanna drink too much, though,’ she says offhandedly, finally giving up on the dishes and entering the bedroom in order to find the black leather jacket and high heels that she deposited there solely based on the fact that it is the only decently organised space in the entire flat right now.

‘You don’t have to,’ the man confirms, already fumbling with his phone.

Joohyun hears his muffled conversation with the driver as she stands in front of the mirror, surveying her own appearance. Even though she has been continuously complimented throughout adulthood, oddly enough she has never really cared for that kind of validation until now. She used to be happy at the attention received from female classmates and when Junmyeon entered the picture, it stopped being important altogether. She never felt an explicit need to look attractive for him. She used to think that she was simply comfortable, feeling accepted for who she was. Now, putting on one more layer of red lipstick just at the mere thought of maybe meeting somebody remotely interesting, she knows that it was not that.

Fourteen years. I can’t believe I married the first guy that peer pressure subjected me to. Nonetheless, for a fourteen year long relationship, she is aware that it could have also gone infinitely worse. Junmyeon let her go, even if his own little world has suddenly fallen apart in the process.

Thirty-two years old and divorced, Joohyun is certainly seeing herself in a new light. She tosses her long black hair over her shoulder once or twice, trying to decide which side looks better. A mainstream bar in the middle of the touristic district is perhaps not exactly the best place to find the kind of relationship that Joohyun is looking for but it’s a start. One of these nights she will finally take a taxi and find that gay bar in Seomyeon that she’s read about online. She’ll put on her best dress and pretend that this is her scene and that she knows what she’s doing. There is no point feigning ignorance – she’s always turned heads so it’s not hard to imagine that there is a girl out there who would fall head over heels for her.

Hopefully it won’t take Joohyun another fourteen years to meet her.

 

 

 

Seungwan enters the bar twenty past ten, looking around for her own company. She sees some of her co-workers already present, warming up with their first beer in hand and waiting for whatever they’ve ordered to arrive at the table. The girl makes her way through the crowd, occasionally briefly stopping to say her hellos but otherwise looking for a truly familiar face - or at least an empty spot to hold on to before the rest of her group gets there. If she’s going to spend two or more hours in the pub, being continuously squeezed by the guests trying to reach the counter doesn’t seem like a fun option.

Jongdae and Seulgi are late, but that’s nothing new and Seungwan doesn’t feel too worried about Sooyoung. When she appears, she appears. That’s the first and most important rule about the youngest in their circle.

Half way through crossing the room, Seungwan remembers that she’s there for a reason other than merely chaperoning Sehun’s sister so she takes another look around and indeed, the new interns are all sitting awkwardly around the biggest table in the hall, left to socialise with Seungwan’s division manager, Yunho. While he’s generally a really relaxed and helpful guy, there is still nothing worse than being forced into an informal situation with your boss on the first night of your employment and pretending that you have no care in the world.

Seungwan is more than aware because she’s been there and done that herself.

She takes a moment to introduce herself and her programme – although BFE is one of the more prominent radio stations in the province, the woman has no illusions that her own show can boast a similar impact. For a six to eight o’clock weekday format, even its name is odd – One of these nights would fit Chanyeol’s midnight show better, or even Sooyoung’s daily presentation of top twenty charting pop hits. For some reason, however, it belongs to Seungwan’s evening programme filled with melancholic ballads and calls from listeners asking for advice. Although her line of work suits Seungwan just fine, she is aware that her target audience seem to be mainly sentimental housewives and people stuck in traffic on their way back from work.

‘We haven’t exactly decided on the role division for the interns yet but we do have a big fan of yours among us tonight so you might just find yourself working with her soon.’ Yunho turns around in his chair to properly face Seungwan; there is mirth in his voice as he points to the girl sitting in the far corner. ‘Kim Sejeong.’

Seungwan is pleasantly surprised at the genuine interest and sends the intern a smile to which the other responds in kind, a blend of embarrassment and pride at being noticed fighting for the better on her cheeks now completely reddened.

Seungwan means to approach the girl and strike up an easy conversation that would allow not only to pass the time but perhaps also to actually get to know each other better, except that in that exact moment Jongdae’s boisterous voice lets her – and half of Busan – know that the rest of her company has arrived.

‘Seungwan!’ He shouts and she turns to the door, honestly ready to wave them away and return to the brewing conversation. Her resolution wavers though, the moment she spots Sehun among them – and not only him. There is a woman walking alongside the man, somewhat unsurely looking around and despite the casual clothing, looking slightly out of place. There’s no denying that she’s gorgeous, but Seungwan already knew that.

When her gaze once again falls on her work companion, Sehun gently beacons her with a single head motion. She sighs, albeit not unwilling. That’s her cue to fill in the shoes for the evening. She excuses herself from Yunho’s table. Still, the night has just become more interesting, Seungwan thinks in passing as she walks in her friends’ direction, eyes back on who can only be Bae Joohyun.

 

 

A/N: People who discover their uality later in life are just as valid as those who've known since adolescence. Also, DJ Wendy needs to happen in real life.

This is just a side project, but I've been continuously writing The Purity Club for almost two years and I need some variety. Please upvote and stay if you liked, and I hope you're all having a good day.

 

*Title: IOI - Downpour