shatterdome-100

said the sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaebum’s wrapping up his introductory Kaiju Assault Lecture when Jinyoung steps inside his classroom. Considering how the door is actually at Jaebum’s end of the lecture hall and he’s facing his class and combine that with how light Jinyoung movements are, Jaebum shouldn’t know this. He doesn’t even have the advantage of the ghost drift to let him know of Jinyoung anymore. But what does tell Jaebum of the younger’s presence is the eerily quiet hall and the look of reverence on the faces of the new cadets. It’s a rare sight to see one of Dream High’s pilot, let alone both of them at the same time. And considering the fact that one of those pilots is now the Executive of the Tokyo Shatterdome, it is even rarer still to see them together.

Jaebum resists the urge to smile as he dismisses all eight of his cadets. He looks to the end of the lecture hall to see Jinyoung gripping on his cane and smiling politely at the trainees as they pass him with dreamy looks in their eyes. Jaebum wonders if he looks like that every time he catches a glimpse of Jinyoung. If he does, he wonders how Jinyoung still doesn’t see it after all these years. But that’s the irony, Jaebum thinks. They shared a bed, they shared a life, they shared their minds; but in the end, all the important things are left unsaid and Jaebum is left with a gaping hole in his mind and a heart that aches endlessly.

“Jinyoung.” Jaebum calls out to the get the younger’s attention as he approaches him and his bright eye assistant Hyunjin. Five years ago, Jaebum doesn’t even need to think for Jinyoung to know that Jaebum needs him. Now, Jaebum has to seek him out with his eyes, his words, his touch just to get Jinyoung to look in his general direction. But he deserves this, Jaebum thinks bitterly; after all, he did this to Jinyoung. Took away his strength, his leg, the light in his eyes and only the guilt, the shame, the regret is greater than the love that Jaebum has growing inside his chest.

Jinyoung turns his smile to Jaebum, and Jaebum can see how the petals of his lips bloom into softness and sincerity. Jaebum’s heart stutters traitorously. How bold, how daring of him still to love Jinyoung this much after all that he had done to Jinyoung.

“Hyung.” Jinyoung greets a little breathlessly and Jaebum is reminded of how much he misses his voice. He hasn’t heard Jinyoung’s voice this close in a while now, only able to catches glimpse of it blaring over the siren.

“What can I do for you today?” Jaebum asks and holds the door open. Jinyoung passes him with a playful look in his eyes, the bottom of his cane clicks against the concrete floor of the hallway as they walk toward Jaebum’s office. Jaebum looks down briefly to see Jinyoung favoring his natural leg and leaning on the cane. He wants to scold Jinyoung for it: it’s been nearly five years and Jinyoung’s still making a habit out of being dependent of his walking stick. But what right does he have now? What right did he have then? So, he doesn’t say anything, he bites his tongue and goes to Jinyoung’s right side, prepared to catch Jinyoung if he topples.

“Can’t I visit my favorite hyung?” Jinyoung asks in return, falling into steps besides Jaebum, their breath syncing unconsciously. It’s eons ago when they last drifted, but old habits die hard.

Jaebum turns an unamused look at Jinyoung. Five years ago, Jinyoung would visit him just for the hell of it. Now, Jinyoung is an Executive, second only to Director Jihoon in the chain of command, he doesn’t have the time to just casually visit Jaebum just because he’s his favorite hyung anymore. More time then not, it is under order.

Jinyoung looks at him sheepishly as if he knows what’s going through Jaebum’s mind. Jaebum wonders if he does, even though the ghost drift is nonexistent between them now. He doesn’t doubt it though, Jinyoung knows him best.

Jinyoung makes a vague gesture with his free hand and Hyunjin neatly places a vanilla folder into his open palm. His hand trembles as he clenches onto it and he say “The PPDC has a proposition for you.”

Jaebum looks at the folder skeptically before Jinyoung s it into his chest, making him scrambles to catch it. It’s quite hefty, Jaebum muses as he weighs it up and down. Jinyoung’s fingers flicker, urging him to open it. And Jaebum does as Jinyoung commands. He peers into the document to see a stack of profiles of Rangers and slams the folder shut with contempt. Jaebum’s tempted to throw into Jinyoung’s face, but he already caused enough damage to Jinyoung’s person. He knows what Jinyoung is asking from him and he croaks out with a bleeding heart “No.”

How can Jinyoung ask this of him?

He wonders if Jinyoung can hear his heart breaking.

Clearly, he doesn’t, because the younger immediately turns to look at Jaebum square in the eyes and demands authoritatively “Why not?”

Jaebum swallows thickly, chest constricting with unspoken words. He replies weakly “I can’t.”

“What do you mean you can’t?” Jinyoung demands again. He pulls himself to full height as he advances on Jaebum and ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter