The Chairman's Approval

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Lee Compound was located 20km outside the main city and one eventually arrived at the massive wrought iron gates via a dusty country road. There was not much to see from the road. Privacy was key, so if you happened to drive up and hop out of your car, approach the gates in the hope of spotting something of the lives of the inhabitants, then you’d be sorely disappointed.  The drive was tree-lined, long and winding, with no way of spotting the large house.

The compound was where Lee Min-sook lived with his sister and her husband, some cousins who continued to multiply and grow and take up more and more space on the estate. His wife and Soo-hyuk’s mother had passed away five years ago.

Gaelin hated coming here. Always afraid that the Chairman would finally convince Soo-hyuk to move into the estate. The idea of being trapped out here, away from her children and life itself made her feel claustrophobic but she knew there would come a day when they’d have to make a decision.

This was Soo-hyuk’s birthright and she knew how frustrating it was to see his extended family waltz around as if they owned the place. They didn’t work and collected allowances from the estate, that were earned from Lee Corp. Her husband and now her son and daughter were working for other people. This sort of thing didn’t happen in the Song Estate but the Chairman would not listen to reason. Losing his wife had made him sentimental and he wanted as much of family around him. The only thing that would change that, was if Lee Soo-hyuk moved in.

Kai, on the other hand, loved the estate. He had fond memories of running wild on the lawns, rolling down the hills with Sehun, Baek, and Arran and the estate dogs chasing them. Kai was not afraid of his grandfather. They had a close relationship and Kai was sure he could convince his grandfather to take his side.

“You people think I am old and don’t know what’s going on.” He clicked his tongue at Gaelin and Soo-hyuk. “I know everything.” Now he looked at Kai, “We Lees have always lived quietly. Yes, we have a lot, but we don’t flash it around town…” he paused, “But this new generation, started with your uncle Jungkook wanting to be an entertainer and with your brother Baekhyun and the actress and now with you Jongin and this model.”

They were still kneeling on the floor, heads bent. The Chairman had not told them they could stand or sit. Kai’s knees were starting to ache, that was probably the point. He felt sorry for his parents, much older than him.

“Will you be able to live a quiet life with that sort of woman?”

For once Gaelin was rooting for her father-in-law.

“It may not be what abeoji is used to but I am sure of Lilly. I am sure if abeoji meets Lilly then he will see that I am happy.”

“Hmph.” The Chairman shifted his weight from foot to foot. He was wavering. Kai could feel it. So could Gaelin and Soo-hyuk, “I will expect to meet her then.” He motioned for Kai to approach. Kai knelt in front of his grandfather. The Chairman tilted Kai’s face up, inspected it and smiled softly. “Very good.” He looked past Kai at Gaelin, “You, Song Gaelin will inspect this young lady first.” Gaelin bowed. The Chairman was guided out the room by a butler and then it was just Kai and his parents, “So when does omma want to meet with Lilly?”

Gaelin scowled as she stood. Without a word, she left the ro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter