The Nightmare is Real

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That Friday morning every member of the Consortium (except for Kai) woke with a feeling of dread. It was one of those days when you knew it would be safer to stay at home. 

It was especially worse for Chen. He woke way before his alarm and for just one moment it felt like his life was normal. But then he remembered what happened and a feeling of dread filled him. The nightmare was real. 

Last night he accused his wife of having an affair and she hadn't denied it. His Minah, the girl he’d loved since he was old enough to know what love was, had cheated on him. 

Beside him, Chanyeol snored soundly. His kid brother could be selfish. Living his life to the fullest, obsessed with his music, running off with Sehun or to the States, but last night Chanyeol stayed up late with him.

They drank wine, complained about women, Kai’s engagement, and the state of the Consortium and when they were properly drunk, had wandered down memory lane. “Do you remember when we broke into the morgue!??” Chanyeol had laughed so loud Chen hadn’t been able to resist laughing with him, “Baek and I had to distract the guard.” (GQ2/Chap 42 – Morgue Breakin https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1307013/42/morgue-breakin)

“How could I forget!? I thought we’d get caught for sure.” But they hadn't been caught. That night they found an important piece of information that led them to Kris. 

“Things were different then…” Chen reflected, “We worked together. Everyone knew their place.” He’d told Chanyeol about Sung-kyung then. Everyone else knew. It was wrong for them to keep these secrets. If Chanyeol was upset, he did what he always did, took the pain and moved on.

Chen buried his head in the pillow and felt the sting of sudden tears. He felt so helpless. He didn't want to go out into the world. 

“Hyung?” Chanyeol sounded distraught. Chen wiped his eyes across the pillow then grew still. “Hyung…” Chanyeol rubbed his back.

“What am I? Five?” Chen threw off the covers, “I have to get to the office.”

“But hyung…”

“I’m fine, Chanyeol.” he insisted before his brother suggested something absurd like they play hooky.

We need to speak.” Minah grabbed his arm as soon as he entered their bedroom.

“You need to move your things back to Finite.” He shook her off.

“Chen! We have a child.”

“Should have thought of that before huh? Yeji will stay with me and don’t you dare use a child as leverage.”  

“Are you not even going to listen to me?” she followed him down the passage to his bathroom.

“No. I don’t have to do that anymore.” He slammed the door in her face, “Please be gone by the time I’m out or I’ll have security do it for me.” He pressed his forehead to the door and closed his eyes. Please leave me alone. I don’t know if I’m strong enough to give you up if you don’t leave.

***

Taeyoon’s head hurt. One too many cocktails. Urgh, and she had to get to the office. Her patients were scheduled earlier cause of Kai’s engagement announcement party.

“You’re awake.”

Taeyoon froze. Oh no! Slowly she turned her head and faced the Lee House Master.

Taemin smiled, “from the shocked look on your face I can tell you can’t remember seducing me.”

How could she have…agai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter