ONE

Smile Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dear Sarang,

 I really hope you will send me a letter as a reply. I have already sent three and it's been a week since the last letter. I always wait for your words, dear. I sometimes cannot help but wonder if you even read my letters. I send them to you because you can read and write, unlike many in our village. I wouldn't know how to communicate with you otherwise. It's been three months, how are you?

Sarang took a deep breath. A wide smile was plastered on her face as she looked sideways to see if anyone was near. She had that blush on her cheeks as she went back to reading her husband's letter.

Is Omma doing fine? Don't forget to let me know, dear. Christmas is really near and it's really cold in the area I've been assigned to this week. I might be coming home this year, I don't yet know. I miss you all, let Omma know.

You're fine, right? It's been three months that you're living in a different house, in a different community; three months of you being Oh Sehun's wife, are you still facing problems with adjusting in your new home? I hope not. You can always tell me if you are. Send a letter to me this time round.

"Sarang!"

The girl, as if in alarm, folded the letter in a speed of lightening and turned around, "Omoni," she smiled at the lady who was standing some feet away from her, "Do you need anything?" she asked, standing up, hiding the paper and the envelope behind her back.

"It's going to rain. Get back in, dear," Sehun's mother smiled at her, "I see, you got the letter," she gave her a knowing look and watched the flustered expression on Sarang's face as she hesitantly nodded. The older woman chuckled, "It's okay, I didn't see that. Don't worry." She stepped towards her and patted her shoulder. A thunder was heard and Sarang quickly ushered the older woman into the house and closed the front door.

"It's so dark, Omoni," Sarang mumbled, holding on to the stand of her bed and waiting for her eyes to adjust to the view, "Where are you?" she panicked when some clashing was heard from the kitchen area. She wasn't used to the dark since her own home had electricity. But this community lacked in many things, she had learned after getting married. She held the letter tight in her hand as she looked around, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Sarang," she saw a streak of light from the candle Sehun's mother had brought. The elderly lady placed the candle stand on the nearby table and sat down on Sarang's bed. She patted the space beside her for Sarang to sit down as well. Sarang shyly took a seat on her bed and blinked at that parcel that she had seen with the letter earlier. "Sehun sent this parcel with the letter," his mother said.

"He...did?" Sarang looked at the letters scribbled on top of the parcel.

"What does it say?" Sehun's mother asked. Sarang took the box from her and examined the untidy handwriting of her husband.

"He wants us to open it together," Sarang smiled at the elderly lady who smiled back at her, "Omoni, he said he'd be coming home for this Christmas. He asked about you in the letter."

"For Christmas?" His mother asked, wide eyed with that beautiful smile on her face. Sarang nodded, well, that was partially true. Though she knew that he wasn't yet sure if he'd be coming home for Christmas but that smile on his mother's face had become her favorite in the three months of being with her. She couldn't help but say that. "What else did he say?" She asked, with those dazzling eyes of hers. Sarang now knew where Sehun had gotten his eyes from.

"Oh, he wanted a reply back and asked about... me," she shyly mumbled, "I couldn't read the whole letter, Omoni," she gave her an apologetic look, "I'll tell you once I am done reading it, okay?"

Her mother-in-law smiled at her, patting her shoulder, "Let's open this now." She started to gently unwrap the box while Sarang reached out to help her with the scotch tape. "I'm so glad I now have you to read my letters. I used to ask Jinhye to always do it for me," she said.

Sarang simply smiled at her, "What do you think is inside, Omoni?"

"Let's see," his mother mumbled with a bright look on her face, "Is that a hairpin?" she said in a low voice, her hand reaching out for the sparkling piece in the corner of the box, "Isn't this beautiful?" his mother asked, taking the hairpin out of the box, "This one is for you, I think."

"I think it'll suit you better, Omoni," Sarang said, after shaking her head with a smile, "turn around, I'll fix it in your hair," she took it from her, studying the delicate design of the hairpin. The beads sparkled in the dark, the hairpin was indeed beautiful.

"I'm so sure, darling. This one has to be yours," his mother said, taking the hairpin from her hand, "Your husband knows how beautiful you'd look when you would wear this."

Sarang blushed a shade of red, looking away. She always turned shy whenever her husband came into the conversations. It was always heart fluttering to think about him. In no time, Sehun's mother had fixed her hair into a bun and put that hairpin through.

"My daughter-in-law is such a beauty," his mother caressed Sarang's cheek. Sarang looked away, "Sarang, you know, I used to have a daughter."

Sarang looked back at her with arched brows, "A daughter?" Sehun's mother nodded with a sad smile, "Was she older than Sehun?"

His mother nodded, "I don't know where she is now," she sighed, "She was gone one morning. Sehun was only sixteen back then," she seemed to be staring into space, "I don't know why she went away."

"Did she go to school?" Sarang asked and she shook her head as a reply.

"She used to go to the school in the village but maybe she never liked studies. Sehun's father was there back then and he used to push her to study. Maybe, that was why she left and... never returned."

"Omoni," Sarang squeezed her hand, unable to comfort her in any other way.

His mother shook her head, "Well, Sehun brought me another daughter. I have you now, Sarang. I'll forever be grateful to my son," she smiled.

There is a fair going on in the village nearby. The hairpin reminded me of you, maybe because it was so beautiful that I couldn't take my eyes off it, just like I couldn't take my eyes off of you. I hope you like it. The hamadan inside the parcel is for Omma. Omma always had a thing for hand fans.

It's my fifth year in the military but I never felt so excited to go back home. Seokjin Hyung is coming home with me. I wonder if I'm the only one excited to come home between us two. Are you eager to see me again? Do reply.

—Yours, Sehun.

She sighed, a little annoyed. His letters were never this short. Did it have to end?

Sarang pulled the drawer of her study table beside her bed and placed the letter with the other three. She had a dreamy smile on her face as she closed the drawer, her mind occupied with the thoughts of her husband. Sehun was the sweetest, she smiled at that thought. Her husband did look like he didn't own a heart at all but he was completely different on the inside. 

Life had always been easy for Sarang ever since she was born. However, she didn't know anyone as her mother until she got married. Her family used to only consist of her father, her two elder brothers and her aunt. She was too young and fragile when her mother passed away and she realized what she had missed for the nineteen years of her life when she met Sehun's mother. She cared for her as if she was her own daughter from the very first day. She was glad that her father married her off to such a family even though there was no electricity in the village and she had work all day alongside Sehun's mother. She was happy, remembering those fleeting moments when her eyes would land on those precious letters.

Do reply. Those words rang in her head but she blushed at the thought of writing back to her husband. She was too shy, he had said that to her in the day of their wedding. She never knew she could blush so hard for a man.

"Sarang!" she heard her name being called and dashed out of the room. It was still so dark and the only light came from a candle on the nightstand and from another on the shelf across her room. She took the one from her nightstand and strode towards her mother-in-law's room right beside hers.

"Omoni,"she softly called out to her. Sehun's mother's room was all dark and that was usual because it was late and most of the people of the village had fallen asleep. The moon was nowhere to be seen that night and its light was missing.

"Sarang," the elder lady called out to her and Sarang smiled when she spotted her on her usual place near the window.

"Omoni," she smiled back at her, "Why are you awake so late at night?" 

"Did you read th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter