Chapter 1

What a Woman!

In Yoon Bomi’s opinion, there's nothing worse than having to show up at school three weeks early to be put through six hours of sport conditioning a day just to make sure everyone's whipped back into shape by the time school starts. She'd thought that once she left high school that she'd finally be rid of strict practice schedules and a no nonsense coach, but she was wrong. Her current coach was nothing like the coach she had in high school. In fact, she was worse.

"Well, that was just repugnant," Her couch barks, glaring at the volleyball team. "Bomi-ssi! I didn't make you top dog in this squad just for you to turn it to atrophy like your muscles after summer break!"

She hears a snicker from her left and Bomi turns around to glare at her best friend and roommate, Oh Hayoung. "That's why I should have been captain," she mutters so only Bomi can hear, smirking in her direction.

"Maybe if you didn't spend your whole summer ing everything that moved you wouldn't have tanked during your try out for the spot," Bomi instantly fires back. Hayoung inclines her head in the brunette's direction as if to say "Touché" before turning back to their coach.

Bomi makes sure to wipe the grin off her face as she turns back to her coach, sprinting off the field when they're finally released for showers.

Before they even get through the threshold of the locker room both girls are swept up into a huge hug that borders on painful in Bomi's opinion.

"Hayoungie! Bomi-ah! I'm so glad you see you guys again!" Naeun gushes as she releases the two girls.

Hayoung reaches up to peck the girl lightly on the lips. "Missed you too, Naeunie. Where were you anyway?"

Naeun smiles adoringly at Hayoung. "I couldn't practice today because coach said so. I had to go get physical with the doctor to be able to be on the squad this year."

Bomi turns toward her locker before opening it, trying not to laugh at the dubious expression on Hayoung's face but failing miserably. Earning her a glare.

She turns back to Naeun, looking a little confused. "You mean you had to get a physical and not get physical, right?"

"Sure okay," Naeun says a shrug, not really caring for a difference between the two phrases. "Come on, Hayoung-ah, let's take a shower."

Hayoung smirks at the blonde girl before giving Bomi a pat on the shoulder. "Later, loser."

Bomi shakes her head in disbelief as she watches her two friends walking toward the showers, their giggling only dying down once they're out of sight.

She closes her locker and opts out of taking a shower in the locker room, preferring to use the showers in her dorm hall, complete with less .

Slinging her bag over her shoulder, she walks out of the locker room, treading tiredly back to her dorm. The long hours that she spends practicing genuinely annoy her, but Bomi has always had an affinity towards the sport. Whether she likes the physical challenge, the shorts that catch the attention of the guys and the girls, or whether she just simply likes the power trip of being in charge, Bomi isn't sure. But she's sure that she likes volleyball.

"Hi, Bomi," a shy voice calls to her and Bomi breaks out of her thoughts of a relaxing shower to look at whoever greeted her.

She smiles slyly before giving the black-haired girl a leisurely wave. "Hi, Joohyun-ah," she purrs in return. She and Joonhyun have hooked up a couple of times, not that anyone would know that because Bomi keeps her trysts with anyone in the school private. They're casual, but always private. No one knows about what she does behind closed doors and she keeps it that way. Her smile broadens as she walks away from the girl, feeling her eyes on her as she gives an extra sway to her hips. Yes, being in the volleyball team has its perks.

But it's been an uphill battle for her to balance volleyball, the squad's name, and school. In high school, balancing being a in a sport team and a scholar in school was seen as an accomplishment. But here, in college, you were either fully committed to the books and didn't play a sport, opting for theater or something else artsy as an extracurricular, or you were in the jock archetype and didn't do well in school at all, simply passing along with mediocre grades to be able to play in the next big game.

Bomi, however, did both. And she did it well. Balancing a near 4.0 GPA and the volleyball squad placed Bomi in a category all her own. She was a jock yes, but she was also studious, proving to professors and judgemental peers alike that jocks were more than capable of passing college courses with grades that were better than simply mediocre.

"Ow, !" she exclaims, body propelling backwards from the momentum of bumping into someone. She silently chastises herself for not paying attention.

"Sorry," the girl she has hit mutters before giving a loud huff, crouching on the ground to retrieve her fallen items.

"It's okay," Bomi murmurs distractedly, wondering who the girl is. Normally if this were to happen on this side of campus—the sophomore dorms where Bomi has more clout—the offender would be apologizing profusely to Bomi, practically begging for forgiveness.

"You must be new," Bomi says a little louder before bending down and picking up one of the girl's books. She rocks back on her heels to stand up right at the same time the girl does. She's unrecognizable. Bomi takes in the girl's stature, long deep black hair, strong, high cheekbones, full pink lips, and dark eyes that barely contain the girl's annoyance. Bomi tilts her head a little. The girl is beautiful…but utterly unrecognizable. And her outfit isn't particularly fashionable but Bomi approves of the short skirt.

"No, I'm not actually," she replies, making a show of holding her hand out and waiting for Bomi to hand the book back.

"So then you know who I am," Bomi states, forgetting about the book in her hands. She lets it fall to her side, more concerned about the beauty in front of her that doesn't seem to give a damn about who she is.

The girl blows out a quick stream of air in exasperation before gracefully placing a lose lock of hair behind her ear. Bomi watches her every move with piercing eyes. "I do not know who you are," she states evenly. "And please forgive my rudeness but at the moment I do not care to. I'm late for an appointment that simply cannot wait. So if you would kindly hand me that book in your hand I can be on my way."

Bomi's eyes widen at the girl's boldness, her almost crash way of handling her without seemingly a care in the world. She wants to be angry, but she can't find it in herself to be. She is, however, a little annoyed.

"Are you a sophomore?" she questions, looking around to make sure, yep, this is definitely the part of campus where sophomores are housed. And Bomi isn't so full of herself to think that everyone on campus should be able to put her name with her face, but the sophomores sure can. All of them.

"Junior," the girl replies flatly. "Now, if you'd please…" she trails off, eyes falling from Bomi's own to the book she has in her hand.

She switches the book from her right hand to her left, chuckling inwardly at the girl's sigh of annoyance before extending her now unoccupied hand. "I'm Yoon Bomi," she replies.

Brown eyes stare at her hand curiously before giving it a quick shake. "I would say it's a pleasure meeting you, Bomi-sshi, but you seem arrogant, presumptuous, and a tad annoying," the girl says honestly as she releases her hold on Bomi's hand.

Her eyes narrow as she snorts indelicately at the barrage of insults from that single statement. "Isn't it presumptuous to assume all of those things about me? I mean, this is our first time meeting and let's be honest; you haven't exactly been the poster child for great manners either."

"Yes, perhaps I should apologize," she muses without actually verbalizing an apology. "But you see I'd already told you what –five whole minutes ago that I was late. I also told you that I do not like being late under any circumstances. And instead of handing me my book so that I could be on my way, you started a meaningless conversation with me because your ego took a hit because of the simple fact that I have no idea who you are."

"What are you doing here anyway?" Bomi asks rudely.

"I have a friend that lives in these dorms," she responds a little too haughtily for Bomi's taste.

She arches a perfect eyebrow as she regards the black-haired girl. "So you have a friend that lives in these dorms, but you don't know me?" she asks doubtfully. "All of the sophomores know me."

"And?" she asks with a shrug. "You act as if every conversation a sophomore would have is just dripping with the words 'Yoon Bomi'. Not everything is about you apparently because I for one have never heard of you before this terrible encounter."

Bomi is beside herself, gritting her teeth in sheer annoyance at the audacity of the girl in front of her. How dare she talk to her that way? "You know what?" she growls. "Take your book." She practically shoves it in the girl's direction and it's plucked from her hand without a single word.

Without another glance, the girl walks past Bomi, grumbling about how late she is for her appointment.

"Wait," Bomi calls as she spins around to face the girl.

Her shoulders tense and Bomi watches with no small amount of amusement how the hand not curled protectively around her books tightens into a fist. She's glad that this annoying girl is as irritated as she is.

Bomi steps a little closer to get privacy, glad that the campus is nearly empty since the school term hasn't officially started yet. "I didn't get your name," she says, feigning disinterest.

A loud, boisterous laugh from the unknown girl startles Bomi into taking a few steps back. She folds her arms tightly across her chest and her hip to the side, wondering just what the hell is so funny.

The girl wipes a tear from her eye, staring at Bomi with a smile. "Not everyone likes to be so well known like you do, Yoon Bomi," she says snippily. "Just call me anonymous."

She spins on her heel and walks away without a backwards glance and Bomi's left wondering if she feels more angry…or intrigued.


"Naeun-ah is staying over tonight," Hayoung says around a mouthful of potato chips. She flips through channels on their TV before hoisting her legs up on the table, sinking back into the couch.

Bomi walks into their common space with a frown on her face. "You give a new meaning to the term couch potato," she quips, not commenting on the Naeun staying over thing because they've both had their fair share of company over. It's nothing new to them anymore. The fact that Hayoung mentioned it is simply for Bomi to be prepared for if she wakes up at three in the morning to go to the restroom and sees Naeun sleep walking….

"Keep it up and I'll give a new meaning to the term man-slaughter," Hayoung says dryly from her spot on the couch.

Bomi flops down on the other couch, watching TV but not really paying attention as her thoughts drift back to that girl she met outside the dorms. It still makes Bomi's blood boil, even after she took a shower to calm herself down and took a nap right afterwards. The insulting remarks that fell from the girl's lips, and Bomi admits, they were pretty lips. Pink, and pouting. And Bomi recalls with amusement that at one point the girl really was pouting because of how annoyed she had been with Bomi. But still, Bomi didn't really appreciate what was said to her and how it was said.

"Do you think I'm arrogant?" she asks, removing her eyes from the TV screen to look at Hayoung.

Hayoung guffaws, nearly choking on a potato chip that sends Bomi into a fit of giggles. "Not only are you arrogant," Hayoung grips. "You're annoying, pig headed, over bearing–"

"I'm serious."

"No, you're not arrogant." Hayoung rolls her eyes. She hates having to placate Bomi because that always means she has to show feelings which she doesn't particularly like to do. "Where's all this coming from? A few hours ago you were all up in my grill about how I didn't make captain because I was ing too many people to even concentrate on being ready to try out. Which, by the way, you were eating 's over the summer too so I don't even want to hear that again."

Bomi blushes all the way up to her hairline and the tips of her ears at the obscene comment, coughing into her hand to avoid how awkward she felt. "They weren't s," she mutters.

"What-the--ever. Point is, I wasn't the only one getting busy," she says to make her point. "Now anyway, back to the matter at hand. What the hell has you all in your feelings?" she coos in a way she knows embarrasses Bomi. "Who made big bad Bomi feel all bad about herself?"

Bomi blushes even harder at how ridiculous that whole situation sounds coming from Hayoung's mouth in that tone of voice. "Nothing, it's stupid. I just…there was a junior outside the dorms and she called me arrogant. Among other things," she grumbles the last part.

Hayoung snickers at the disgruntled look on Bomi's face. "Why would she do that?" she questions, dying to know how and why this mystery woman told Bomi off.

Bomi scowls at her friend's obvious enjoyment out of what Bomi can officially call the worst eight minutes of her life before continuing. "Well, I ran into her outside the dorms and we got to talking and she told me she didn't know who I was. So then–"

"Let me guess," Hayoung drawls. "You got all y with her because she didn't know who you were."

Bomi nods.

"But she surprised you," she continues, "with some iness of her own. So the two of you met in a battle of wills. Two y es ing each other out," she finishes with a laugh.

She sighs at how stupid it now sounds, hanging her head in defeat. "That's pretty much how it happened," she mutters.

"Face it, Bbom," Hayoung says from her spot on the couch. "You met your match and now you're in here sulking because instead of being the kiss you were expecting, she put you back in your place faster than your own mother could."

"I just…she didn't have to be such a ."

"And why not?" Hayoung asks. "You were being a ."

"I wasn't–"

"Bomi, I know you. I'm pretty sure that you were giving her attitude."

Rubbing the back of her neck, she sinks back into her seat. "Should I apologize?"

Hayoung snorts out a laugh at the very idea. "Don't you dare. Seriously, I'll make fun of you forever if you do that. Just let it go. This is a big school and on top of that she's a junior. I really don't think you'll see her very much again. I mean, you didn't even know she existed until today, right?"

"Yeah."

"And she clearly didn't know you existed until a few hours ago," she snarkily replies, watching Bomi sink further into her seat. "So, no big deal. Let it go. And make me a sandwich."

Bomi leaps up out of her seat, nodding at Hayoung's advice before she heads toward the door.

"Hey," Hayoung calls loudly after her. "I said make me a sandwich!"

"I'm not your !" Bomi calls just as loudly as she makes it to the door.

"Where are you going anyway?" Hayoung asks with a raised eyebrow.

Bomi smiles slyly at her before opening the door. "Joohyun’s," she says to her before walking out.


For the first time in her life, Bomi can say that Hayoung was right. It had been three weeks and she hadn't seen the black-haired girl that she ran into at all. It was both relieving and a little unnerving. It was as if the Heavens opened up and dropped the girl down for that one blindingly irritating instant before the earth swallowed her whole. Bomi knew she was being irrational. As Hayoung said, it was a big school and the girl was a junior. The chance of the two of them crossing paths again was slim to none. But still…

"'Sup, hottie," she hears growled into her ear as her eyes are covered by two large hands. Bomi would normally be alarmed but the voice was too familiar and could only belong to one person.

"What, Taejoon?" she demands and the boy in question his teeth at being caugh. They're in the dining hall, in the section that clearly belongs to jocks as Bomi looks around to see large, defined muscles of the football and basketball players peppered in with the lithe, flexible bodies of the cheerleaders.

He plops down in the seat in front of her before taking his burger out of its wrapper. "Nothing much," he says before taking a bite. "Party tonight. I got the booze."

She bites her lip in contemplation before releasing it with a smile. "See you later," she says as she walks away.

She passes by Hayoung and Naeun as they walk over to the table, glaring back at Hayoung after receiving a particularly hard slap on the .

Finding her target, Bomi closes in on a studious looking black-haired, sitting by herself at a table. "Taeyeonnie," she says warmly.

Said girl looks up at her, removing the glasses from her face with a smile. "Bomi-ah."

She leans forward, chestnut hair falling alluringly around her shoulders as she smiles at the girl. "How would you like to go to a party with me tonight?" she asks, staring intently at the girl.

Taeyeon blushes at the chestnut-haired girl before diverting her eyes. "You know I don't do parties, Bomi."

"Come on," she coaxes gently. "It'll be a good way to unwind before the stress of the semester rolls around in just a mere three days."

Her eyes watch Taeyeon intently as the black-haired girl mulls over the idea. She nods with a smile a moment later and Bomi internally smirks at her victory. "Okay."

"Thanks, sweetie," Bomi says in a sugar coated voice before walking off, leaving the other girl a blushing mess at the table. She's determined to blow off some steam before school starts.