01.

[ o n e s h o t ] A Special Gift

Nayeon had been acting a little strange and she had been getting really tired lately. Sometimes, Mark will find her asleep on their couch while waiting for him to come back from work and he will always carry her back to their bedroom which he didn't mind. What he really minded was the fact that he's never home later than 10 but, Nayeon would most probably be asleep at that time.

He had brought it up a few times but, Nayeon just brushed him off, saying that it's probably her getting all worn out by the young kids at her workplace or that the wedding preparations are getting a little more hectic. He was still sceptical about her explanation but accepted it anyway since it did sound like the most likely reason.

But still, he couldn't find a possible reason why would Nayeon suddenly craved for sushi when she doesn't really like them. And the fact that she's been avoiding sweet stuffs and got addicted to sour food.

The idea of her being pregnant did occur to Mark but he brushed that thought away since Nayeon will definitely tell him if it's true. She will also probably be the most excited since he knew how much his fiancee loves kids. He will never forget how he choked on his water when Nayeon joked about wanting ten kids in the future.

Mark and Nayeon had been dating for five years, ever since Nayeon blurted her feelings out. They were a couple whom everyone around them finds fascinating. Most of them had expected Mark to date a quieter and softer girl. Nayeon was the total opposite of that description. However, as one of their friends stated, that's probably also the reason why they are such a perfect match.

Now, it's been two years since the both of them had been living in their own apartment while their wedding is just a few months away. And within these few months, things got a lot more interesting.

"Are you sure you're healthy enough? I can take some time off to settle the issue with the wedding venue." Mark asked for the umpteenth time that morning while Nayeon helped him put on his tie, half ignoring his question. There's going to be an important meeting later and he's here worrying about her.

"Nayeon." His firm voice was what made Nayeon finally looked up at him. "Are you sure you're-"

"I am, silly. I am better than fine, we've gone through this topic for the past two weeks. Besides, you have an important meeting right?" Nayeon shook her head, chuckling lightly at how her fiance could be so long winded. Though it does make her feel really loved and that's probably one of the reasons why she kept falling harder for him.

"You're going to be late."

Mark sighed. He knew how stubborn Nayeon could get if she wanted to so, he had no choice but to just believe her for now. He gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead before heading out of the apartment. Nayeon watched him by the door until he's completely gone before she stepped back into their house to get ready.

When Mark got back from work, he's not surprised to find Nayeon asleep on the couch again. He turned off the television which was still playing the drama Nayeon had been watching lately. He assumed she fell asleep while watching. It really had been a long day for her since he knew that she went straight back to her school after settling the issue on their wedding venue instead of taking a full day leave. He felt a little bad for Nayeon to be the one handling almost everything. Jungyeon helped them out a lot but he wished that this big project of his will end soon so he will be able to spend more time with her and be of more help. But every time he offered his help and apologised, Nayeon will just tell him to focus on his work and that she knows how important it meant to him. And each time those words came from , he felt both comforted and guilty.

Mark can't help but to find Nayeon acting a lot more strange than before the next few days. She's been smiling a lot, not that she doesn't smile but that smile didn't seem to leave from the moment she woke up. He had spotted her humming a quiet tune to herself and sometimes, he would find her muttering to herself.

Also, Nayeon stopped drinking coffee the past few days. That was as weird as Nayeon starting to eat sushi. But she had just shrugged when he asked for the reason, saying she just didn't feel like drinking it.

That Friday morning, before he left for work, Nayeon gave him a wide playful grin.

"Just in case, your Sunday is booked by me. So if anyone needs you to rush anything, tell them no."

Mark raised an eyebrow at her words, looking at her as if waiting for her to elaborate more but she simply just shrugged with that playful grin still plastered on her face. He had no choice but to leave for work feeling all weird.

Just what is she planning? He checked his calendar, Sunday will be the 17 of June, was it a special date? It's definitely not either one of their birthdays since they're both September babies. Besides, he will never forget her birthday. It's definitely not an anniversary or a monthsary. So what is so special about that day? Guess, he will have to wait till Sunday to find out and hopefully not get slaughtered for forgetting about it.

Sunday morning came, Mark woke up to the smell of bacons and eggs. That girl's cooking definitely had improved, he thought to himself as he walked out of their room. He headed straight to the kitchen and saw his favourite girl humming to a random nursery rhyme while folding the eggs in the frying pan. He admired her for a while before walking up to her and wrapped his arms around her waist from the back.

"Awake?" Nayeon chirped happily.

"How can I not when someone is making something delicious."

"It's just something simple. I thought you might want to enjoy some American style breakfast. You probably missed it."

Mark smiled and rested his chin on Nayeon's shoulder before pecking her jawline which made her giggle. She had always been ticklish.

"Go and wash up, breakfast is ready." It didn't take long for Nayeon to finish cooking their breakfast. Mark chuckled lightly at how Nayeon looked so much like a housewife now as compared to the past when the only thing she can cook was instant noodle.

Well, she did learn a lot from him.

"So, what's this special occasion?" Mark asked cautiously, watching Nayeon while she prepared the utensils. She said nothing until she's sitting down right in front of him.

Mark gave her a curious look.

"You don't remember?"

Mark shook his head. He had tried cracking his head for the past two days but, nothing came to his mind.

"Am I in trouble?"

That question made Nayeon burst into soft laughter while Mark stared at her, completely clueless at what is so funny about the situation. But Nayeon didn't give him an answer instead, she took a small box from the counter and placed it in front of him.

"I didn't get you any-"

"It's okay." She's still giving him that same goofy smile.

Still clueless, Mark did as she said and unwrapped the gift, revealing a small box. He glanced up at Nayeon who gave him the 'open it' stare which he did. Sitting inside the box was a small photo or rather, an ultrasound photo.

"Happy Father's Day." The tone in her voice got gentle. It took Mark a few couples of repeated glances of her and to the photo before a smile formed on his lips.

"Nayeon, are you? Really?"

She nodded at his question, her smile as wide as his.

"Apparently I'm into my fifth week. I just confirmed it a few days ago." That explained everything Mark had been wondering about.

"We might have to push the wedding forward and make it simpler. I refuse to walk down the aisle with a baby bump."

Mark laughed at what she said and got up from his seat. He walked up to her and planted a soft kiss on her head then onto the tip of her nose. He gave her one glance before he cupped her cheeks and pressed a lingering kiss on her lips.

"Thank you and I love you."

---------

It's a really really straightforward oneshot. I got inspired by Father's Day and I just wanted to write this. Mark and Nayeon are both adults now so I think writing this is pretty appropriate. I imagined their age here as their current one or maybe just a little older. 

This is probably the first markyeon fic that I've gotten to writing cute romantic scenes. I hope it makes you guys feeling all fluffy too. 

I realised my current fics are all pretty light and not so much of dramas. Do you guys like that? I might have a romance short story coming up after Ambiguous tho. But who knows? Just wait for more info on that. For now, let's all enjoy fluffy markyeon.