First Impression

How I met you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We are meant to interact with one another in this life and let our lives overlap.

But ironically, we aren’t meant to know the purpose of every person we meet.

 

- Chapter I -

First Impression

 

In this world that we are blessed to live in, every single meeting and chance encounter serves a greater purpose.

 

Sometimes, we need people to wake us up and help change the direction of our lives.

Sometimes, we need people to uplift us and remind us who we are.

Sometimes, it’s simply about those who are meant to hold space for us.

And other times, the universe sends us people to help us on our journey, even if they aren’t meant to be a significant part of it.

 

Indeed, not all encounters are supposed to last forever; some of them come in for just a mere moment in time. Perhaps it was to delay you, so that a reunion would be missed—or even to arrange an unexpected meeting with the love of your life without you realizing it.

 

 

 

“Excuse me!” waved a young girl with a high-school uniform. “Can you you answer to this survey for my school please?”

 

Taehyung stole a glance at his watch. He had an important meeting today and could not afford to randomly talk with strangers. But Taehyung being Taehyung, he nevertheless took the time to help the young schoolgirl and answer to her questionnaire.

 

“Oh thank you Sir!” smiled the girl after the other finished to reply her questions.

 

Taehyung slightly bowed his head and walked at a faster pace to his car.

 

 

“TAETAE!” cheered an old man.

 

“Mister Choi!” Taehyung forced a smile, and cursed his bad luck in his head to come across the clingy and chatty Mister Choi – today among all the days.

 

“I am going to the park! Come with me!” The old man grabbed Taehyung’s arm with strength as he opened a photo album full of pictures.

“Look at my new doll collection!”

 

“Mister Choi! I promised I want to see the pictures of your dolls but right now I’m really lat-“

 

“You said that last time I saw you!” The old man snapped back, tightening his grip with his veiny hands.

 

“Mister Choi…” Taehyung pleaded. “I can’t miss this meeting!”

 

“You prefer your boring meeting than spending time with me and my dolls…” The old man mumbled, yet untied his fingers around the younger’s arm.

 

Taehyung bowed with a sorry smile and entered in his car without further ado.

 

But the small minutes he lost talking with Mister Choi and the young girl led him to the biggest traffic jam. It was a matter of ten minutes. Ten little minutes that would have ensured him to drive freely to his destination.

If only Taehyung had not lost those precious minutes…

 

Today was a big day for him. He and another Korean photographer had been selected among thousands and thousands of professionals for the 2018 National Geographic Photographer Awards.

So this morning Taehyung needed to go to Seoul Plaza where the ceremony would be held in one month to meet the National Geographic Korean correspondent Kim Namjoon and the other nominee.

 

The other nominee Taehyung dreamt to encounter for years.

The other nominee who was no less than the renowned photographer Min Yoongi, known as M.Y.. 

 

Taehyung squeezed the wheel of his car.

He was scared, overwhelmed, excited, almost trembling as he thought about the mysterious photographer he never saw. Indeed, Taehyung never came across the infamous Min Yoongi. In truth he did not even had an idea of how the other looked like, but it was not important for him; because the most important thing for Taehyung was Yoongi’s talent, vision and philosophy.

 

More, Taehyung started his career as a photographer because of him. Min Yoongi was a role model; his work was a real inspiration; his ideology a motto.

 

Yoongi somehow helped the young man to remind him of who he was. He helped him to begin to be more true to himself with just his photographies.

Yoongi was so honest, so true to himself. He had this raw vision of beauty and did not care about what other people could think.

And that, that was exactly what helped Taehyung to question his life, to wonder if he was living each moment being true to himself? Or had he instead adopted the ideals and expectations of others, in an attempt to be someone that he thought others needed? Taehyung had always been this amazing child filled with fire and creativity, but somewhere along the way, he had forgotten what he used to believe in with such vigor. And Yoongi through his philosophy of life that transcended each of his photography helped him to overcome the decision (and journey) to be himself, to break the mold, and to live according to his own truth.

 

But here was Taehyung: running late to his meeting with Min Yoongi and the National Geographic Korean correspondent.

 

 

When he finally arrived in front of Seoul Plaza, Taehyung let a “wow” escaped his mouth. The building was immense with columns and gold decoration on th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter