Fin.

Family Dinner

*

It’s the third time they argued in the grocery store over whether it’s better to get greener bananas or bananas more on the yellow side; Yeri thought it would be appropriate to bring Seulgi home for dinner.

Her parents had been all over her for this “mysterious” little girlfriend of hers. They had met in the library. Seulgi sat across from her, it was a sunny Thursday. When Yeri looked up from her mid-term papers, Seulgi was smiling at her. Instantly she thought of the dancing polar bear that had gone viral on Youtube. That was such a fun coincidence because later she found out that Seulgi was quite a good dancer herself. They had since been dating for eight months now. Yeri however, refrained from telling her parents that they had been living together in Seulgi’s off-campus apartment for quite a few months.

Irene and Wendy had a long history of guarding her a little too much and a little too hard. They huffed in relief when Yeri came out to them back in middle school, but soon they realized that it’s just as rocky as having a straight kid. Yeri’s somewhat flirting nature and good looks had attracted her plenty of suitors, some years older than her(some actually tried to make a move on Irene and was brutally shut down). They guarded Yeri like a pair of mama bears, anyone who wanted to take their daughter out needed to be valuated by them like in the Hunger Game.

They did extensive background research on this Seulgi kid, and everything screamed wholesome. It was almost too good to be true. She’s two years Yeri’s senior, about to get her degree in marine science. Good GPA and all that stuff. She also volunteered in a soup kitchen regularly. And by the pictures Yeri posted on Instagram, she’s quite good-looking.

The grand dinner.

This would be the first time Yeri brings someone home(willingly).

 

*

“What happened to the last outfit you picked out? It was perfect! “

Seulgi was standing buck in front of the closet, looking distressed and infinitely concentrated.

“No, it wasn’t. It was a disaster.”

Yeri sighed and pinched the tender flesh on her girlfriend’s , at which the older girl yelped. Yeri smirked contentedly.

“Just wear something casual, they won’t mind. Actually, they won’t mind at all. Unless,” Yeri wrapped her arms around the taller girl’s neck, face inching near hers,” Unless you wanna score one with my moms.”

The black haired girl’s eyes widened at her words, “No! Why would you even say that?”

“Well, they are both quite hot, to be honest.”

“Ew.”

“Seriously, just wear whatever. You are gonna look good.”

Seulgi kissed the smaller girl, then proceeded to rummage through her closet. She had to pick out the perfect outfit. Nothing too outrageous, no graphic tee or anything that had stupid words printed on them. No leather because her friends said that even though she looked good in leather but she could give off that “ boy” vibe. She wanted something decent, something that would make her look reliable. She wanted Yeri’s parents to trust her; she wanted to go on a long way with the younger girl. Sometimes when they were sitting around in the house, doing nothing, she would take one look at Yeri and her heart would swell with affection. She wanted to marry her. And she would marry her, some day in the future, hopefully not too far from where they are at right now.

After five more minutes of intense ferreting around, Seulgi settled down on a blue denim jacket, and some wash skinny jeans. She hoped that the color blue and the denim would give off a trustworthy air.

On the drive to Yeri’s house, Yeri told her girlfriend a bunch of embarrassing life events of her parents, with the purpose of loosening her up. For starters, she told the older girl about how Wendy often wore mismatched socks, and how Irene accidentally deactivated her Twitter account, wanting to reblog a video of a donkey dancing in the rain. Then she moved on to the saucy stuff, like how they have this racy Valentine’s day tradition of meeting up as strangers in an hotel. These little anecdotes successfully relaxed the older girl. She’s ready, Yeri thought to herself.

But is she ready enough?

 

*

It turned out that her parents really loved her girlfriend. They were stuffing her face with more food, staring contentedly at the way she ate, and complained why Yeri wasn’t more like Seulgi. It was as if Seulgi’s their new daughter, and Yeri was just a dumpster baby.

“Seulgi, did I tell you about that time Yeri got stuck in a slide?”

“No, but please enlighten me. “

Yeri waved her hands in front of Irene; there were already enough embarrassing storied outed, she didn’t need another one. Did they find out about my telling Seulgi all their hilarious daily events? When Irene started to tell the story in spite of her violent intervention, Yeri gave up and pinched Seulgi’s thigh under the table.

“Well, she was already in middle school, I believe. She and some of her friends went to the neighborhood park and there was this tiny little slide for kids there, her friends said that there’s no way she could fit in there, and of course, Yeri took the bait.”

Wendy laughed, her head already swarming with the images of their daughter stuck in the pink slide, “She got stuck. Her friends ran to our house and got us, she was saved, and grew up to be this terrible little turtle.”

“Mom! “Yeri whined, “Seulgi, Seul baby, they were so mean. They took pictures before they got me off of the slide! Not just a picture, they took a photo album worth of pictures!”

Seulgi smiled and patted the smaller girl’s head gently, successfully soothing her. The parents noticed this little exchange, their hearts swooning with adoration. Maybe this girl could be the one.

“Seul, this pizza, this is a frozen pizza, I’m telling you.” Yeri struck back, leaning into the older girl’s embrace.

“No, it’s not! You brat, it’s a homemade gourmet pizza! Have you ever tasted a cauliflower-crusted pizza this good? “ Wendy defended. Things were getting a little out of hand, Irene decided to diverge the current topic.

“So, Seulgi, why don’t you tell us some fun stories of you two? I’m sure there’re tons of times where this one embarrassed herself in front of you.”

“Mhm, “ Seulgi took a look at her sulking girlfriend, it was clear to her that if she even dabbled on those stories her parents wanted to hear, it would be the end of her bear life.

“Hahaha,” She chuckled nervously, then a light bulb popped into her head, “I’m glad that Yeri doesn’t have a dad, that would be inconvenient.”

“How so?” Irene asked curiously. On the other side of the table, Yeri was becoming anxious, she kicked her girlfriend’s calf under the table, but it was obvious that the older girl thought she was telling a good joke.

“Well, if she ever said something like ‘daddy, can you pass me the salt’ or ‘daddy, can you lower the temperature of the air-condition’, that would have been awkward.”

Wendy tilted her head, “Why would that be awkward?”

Seulgi giggled, “Because both her dad and I would go reach for the salt! Get it? I’m her daddy!”

No one would have to lower the temperature of the air-condition, because it had just plunged down to below zero. Yeri facepalmed, her parents, in turn, stared at the smiling girl seriously.

“I’m having second thoughts about marrying our daughter to this chucklehead.” Irene whispered in her wife’s ear.

 

 

-----

A/N:

Hiiii guys, it's me again! This was inspired by a tweet :  https://twitter.com/toujours_baechu/status/1003111496551976960

I hope you had fun reading this little thing, Seulgi and her daddy jokes lol...