Out of Bound

Spring, You | 봄 같은 여자

It was their lunch break and the girls was heading to the nearest cafeteria to grab something to eat. And, while they fasten their steps, pushing their way through crowds of people, probably with the same destination, Bomi was in her own world, surrounded by useless thoughts regarding Byun Baekhyun. 

 

"Hey, Eunji." 

 

Bomi said slowly, doubting whether she should continued to unravel her curiosity. She looked at Eunji hesitantly as the latter shot her eyes at her, bobbing her head, silently questioning what was her deal. 

 

"I... ermmm... was just wondering... I know Hayoung knows him because they were in the same group last year. But, hmmm what about you? Since when do you know Baekhyun?" 

 

To her surprise, as if Eunji had a hunch on the topic, the girl let out a loud sigh before staring straight onto her eyes. 

 

"Why were you so interested in him, Bomi?"

 

She flinched, out of words to explain herself. It hits her. Eunji was right. Why should she be this enthusiast over someone who she barely knew, who she would never even budge an eye to before? Why should she even care if someone like him doesn't want to get to know her or even be her friend? 

 

"No. He's out of your bound Bomi. Don't you even dare to execute anything that comes to your mind now." 

"Executed what?" She furrowed her eyebrows, suddenly feeling the tension in the air as Eunji stared hard at her.

 

"Oh you know. All those tactics that you used to make the boys crawled onto your feet." 

"Hey." Bomi winced, taken aback by the remark. She took a deep breath, controlling the surge of emotion that boils up in her. 

 

"I just want to be his friend. That's all." She struggled to maintain her composure. 

 

"Yeah. You always said that anyway. Friends." Eunji sarcastically  air quoted the word 'friend'.

 

"And, the next thing that you know, they'll misunderstood your gestures and thought you're flirting with them, and fall into your innocent trap." She casually pushed the door of the cafeteria, ignoring the disquiet girl. 

 

"It doesn't usually ends like that..." Bomi said softly, still trying to stand for herself. 

 

"But most of them will."

 

A troop of students then passed by them and Eunji snickered as she recognised one of the boys. 

 

"There's one of them." She said as she pointed to a guy who nonchalantly brushed her judging look away. 

 

Bomi took a glance at the pointed person before looked away nervously. With her peripheral views, she could see the guy is also staring at her while playing with one of the girl's hair which she believed would be his new girlfriend. Bomi tried to act normal as she scooped a spoonful of chicken noodle casserole onto her plate. 

 

"Heechul is a friend." She said hesitantly before swallowed upon a thought of 'used to'. 

 

It reminded her how he always helped her around, cheering her up every every time she is stressing out over an assignment or even a major exam. He always there for her.

 

Well, used to. 

 

Until, one day he suddenly disappeared after a night of confirming that he was among the many, that they were just friend. And not more than that. 

 

He then gone. Out of a blue. Out of her world. 

 

"It is called fling Bomi. The way you treated them with your so called thoughtful gestures, melted them with your cute smile that they thought were only meant for them, that's the problem, Bomi. You have unintentionally gave them a false impression that you might be interested with them." Eunji made a pause, this time there was softness in her stare. 

 

"Although to be fair, I can't completely blame you on that. They were too fool to believed that you're flirting with them."

"Is it wrong for me to be kind then?" She peered earnestly at Eunji with her bright eyes. 

 

It started to raise a concern as Hayoung realise the weight of the conversation, thus she stepped in, trying to console her best friend. 

 

"Nooo... it's not Bomi. You're just being yourself. Just like Eunji has said, they were just dumb creatures who misinterpret girl's nice gestures toward them as flirting. You're not a fault, Bomi. You're absolutely not." 

 

Bomi knew by then it doesn't matter anymore what she had to say to make it sounded better. Hayoung and Eunji had said it all and she should just keep her silence to avoid intensifying the topic. 

 

But, she also wants them to understand. That she doesn't deserve to be compared to those girls who only play innocent hearts, pulling guys around for their own benefit. She is nothing like them and she need Eunji and Hayoung and even the others to know she is better than that. 

 

"I really meant nothing beyond it when I agreed to become their friends. I was just-"

"Who the heck took my Gucci bag?!"

 

She was then abruptly stopped by a sassy voice that came across the room. Her eyes darted onto the tables where the noise came from and she squinted in dispute as she recognised to whom it belongs to. It was Tao with his popular group, The Summer Boys. And, just like Bomi, they were being called so for their attractive appearances and cheerful personalities. 

 

The clique consist of Suho, the class president and the school's skipper, Luhan as the striker, Min Seok the midfielder, Chen the tennis player, The third dan taekwondo's master Tao, Kris and Lay the basketball players whom one is a chaebol's only son who changed his girls like he swapped his cars and the latter is a hidden heart breaker, silently hurting the girls with his innocent smile or better knows as the genius aka Baekhyun's rival, Kyungsoo the volleyball setter and Sehun who happened to be their official photographer. 

 

And, there was also Chanyeol. Who will sometimes joined them as well for he surprisingly hold a position as the school's quarterback but he clearly didn't belong to the group. Bomi did not even know how to describe the guy. He is just... weird and extraterrestrial. The others always said that he doesn't even belong to this world. Notwithstanding that, he is still idolise for his own charm, the so called captivating dorky smile. 

 

"So you were saying just now?" Eunji titled her head on a side, meeting her eyes. But, before she could even justify more, Hayoung interrupted with her sweet smile.

 

"It's okay Bomi. You don't have to explain yourself. We understand you." 

 

And, that is when Bomi knew she needed to stop herself, ceased her urges to fight back. She let out a quiet sigh as she settled onto their usual seat about 2 or 3 table away from The Summer Boys. A while after, an effortless smile curved on her lips as Sehun vigorously waved her hello. 

 

***

 

The lunch break had finished couple of minutes ago and Bomi couldn't seem to kill her curiosity over the fact not even a glimpse of Baekhyun was seen at the cafeteria. And as soon as she caught a sight of him, nose in book at the third row of the lecture hall, waiting for their afternoon lecture, she unknowingly smiled and breathed in relief. 

 

"Where are you going?" Eunji crooked her eyebrows as Bomi going up the stairs. The latter halted her steps and approached her as she signalled her to sit by Baekhyun. 

 

"I thought you didn't like the thought of me and him as friends?" She whispered, earning a giggle by Eunji.

 

"You should snap out of your world, princess. I bet you have zero attention during today's morning lecture, don't you?" 

 

In which the statement then further increased the curiosity within Bomi. 

 

"We were supposed to sit in a group even in lectures this year, Bomi. Meaning one group per row." Hayoung explained with her gentle smile. 

 

"Oh." 

 

Bomi then walked toward Baekhyun, knowing the girls are not that comfortable of sitting within a close range with a guy. She realised it when her friends will choose not to mingle or even sit by guy whenever it is possible. Perhaps to lessen the awkwardness between them.

 

And at times like this, she has to thank her parents for giving him two younger brother as those experiences kind of taught her well on how to act around other gender. 

 

Approaching the guy, half excited, half worried concerning trivial things such as how she should address him, the thing that he would likes, his interests so that they can have a lengthy conversation and during the short moment she even thought of asking his family background, his life and she quickly shook her head at that. 

 

Why would in the world would she wanted to know his life? His FREAKING LIFE?

 

She realised it is getting out of control; this whole Baekhyun thing and she took a deep breath, controlling her own mind. That is when she glanced on a book that he keenly hold on his hand, reading each phrase on it. She carefully sit by him and with a nice smile she uttered, 

 

"What is that?" 

 

Baekhyun looked a second to his side, bowed slightly, and flipped the pages to show the front cover, before continued to put his focus on the book.

 

"It's a book published by the school to simplify all this year's lecture." 

"Oh really? Where do you get it?" Eunji on Bomi's left side interrupted. 

 

Bomi widened her eyes when Baekhyun suddenly changed his cold guy look into this enthusiastic kid with his lollipop. Or in this context, a book. 

 

A FREAKING BOOK.

 

"So you remember two days ago when we met at the library and I said I was searching for this one? I  manage to spot it at second floor, the sport section." His eyes glistened with excitement and delight as he brightly smiled.

 

"Sport section?" Eunji lifted her eyebrows. 

 

"Yes! I wonder who would put such a great book there." 

 

It then start to make sense to Bomi. Of course Eunji would know him. Both are book worms and they probably noticed each other when they spend time at library. 

 

"Library, huh?" Bomi jolted when someone actually spoke her mind.

 

"I would never go to such place." Chanyeol put his bag and took a sit beside Baekhyun. 

 

Bomi wanted to nod so bad, agreeing with every point the guy had to say. She would second them as she herself had the same thought. She couldn't understand kids who go to library to study. All this time, she only go there to ditch classes or even to sleep, as she find it was the calmest place ever in the earth. 

 

But, if she did that, then it would definitely destroyed any opportunity left for her to make amends with Baekhyun thus she shut close and waited for Baekhyun's response. 

 

"Each people had their own preference. I won't say which one is better. I think it's fine as long as you study and pass your exam." Baekhyun spoke calmly, back to his normal attitude. 

 

"So, do you personally think this book is good for people who couldn't grab things in lectures?" Bomi asked, still trying to steal his attention. 

 

"Maybe." He said, smiled nicely but with his face practically in the book. 

 

"Oh really? How's that?" 

"You would know if you read it." 

"Are you implying that I should borrow this from the library?" 

"I doubt they still have another copy though." 

 

Bomi started to get impatient when none of Baekhyun's attention was reserved for her. She then took a shocking measure, knocking the table before snatching the book away when she thought nothing would work. 

 

"Hey." 

 

Baekhyun raised his head, slightly annoyed with the girl. He flashed her what-is-wrong-with-you face, with his tense eyes. 

 

"Mind looking at my eyes when you're talking to me, won't you?" 

 

Bomi slide the book back with her eyes fixed on Baekhyun's. 

 

"Oh. Someone salty." Chanyeol interrupted, poking his head from Baekhyun's back with a mischievous smile. 

 

"It's none of your business, dude." Sehun cleared his throat. 

 

Chanyeol sent death glares to him, wanting to argue but he cancelled the thought as his eyes caught on the elegant Professor Seo who gracefully walked in with her alluring figure. 

 

The boys were whistling and clapping over her seductive smile as she tapped on the mic. 

 

"Hello, guys." 

 

And, roars overfilled the hall with the simple greeting.

 

***

 

After the lecture ends, as she packed her stuff to go home, Bomi managed to steal a glance at Baekhyun. He was discussing things with Chen and Chanyeol, who she believed must be regarding the assignments that they paid no attention to during their group meeting earlier. And, as she realised what would wait for her if she interfered; which of course would be the nosy Chanyeol, she quickly went to Namjoo instead who was waiting for her with a smile. 

 

"Bomi-ah! How I wish to be in the same group with you too." Namjoo cutely pouted. 

 

She put a hand on the girl's shoulder and pat it gently. 

 

"Me too, Namjoo. But, it's okay. I bet your group mate is better than mine." She said as she eyed Chanyeol who was laughing like a fool over his another silly joke. 

 

"Oh. Don't even let me start on it. I don't know what fate had for me really, but this would be the perfect time to question about it." She let out a sigh of despair. 

 

"Don't tell me you're stuck with Luhan again this year, Namjoo?" Eunji gasped before clutching her stomach with a silence laugh. 

 

"I guess you're really destined to be with him after all." Hayoung said with a cheeky smile. 

 

Bomi could only smile as they walked back to their hostel. It was a day to day habit of Namjoo to be complaining on the guy as he can't seem to leave her alone without teasing her even just for a day. 

 

"I'm so tired of his lame jokes." Namjoo rolled her eyes. 

 

"I wonder how you withstand him during your first year, Bomi." 

 

Bomi swallowed hard, trying to hide her blushed cheek. 

 

"I... brushed him off. I guess that's how I survived." She grinned widely before it fainted a bit when she realised Eunji was shaking her head lightly over her white lies. 

 

"It's okay, Namjoo. Let's soothe your feelings with ice cream, shall we?" Chorong who came from behind wriggled her eyebrows and the others nod frantically over her idea.

 

***

 

"Oh, yes! I forgot to ask you, Bomi. Who is your new roommate?" Chorong bobbed at her while her ice cream. 

 

"Naeun." She simply said. 

 

"Naeun? As in Son Naeun? Oh. That..." Namjoo tried to find a suitable word when Eunji suddenly cut her off. 

 

"Sounds great if it's me. I like the way Naeun portrayed herself to others. She's comfortable with herself without even had to pretend to be someone else." 

 

Bomi's lips twitched a little as she gave a quick nod. Son Naeun reminded her so much of herself during her first year. Independent, strong, bold, and... Alone. She looked afar as the girls started to discuss things about Naeun. The truth is, she adores that girl. There is something in her that she felt close to whenever they had interaction with each other. But, as a roommate? She's not sure anymore. The trauma that she had with Eunji kind of haunted her all this while. She was thankful enough when she got a carefree, sweet girl like Hayoung as a roommate during her third year. But, would it be the same with Naeun? Would she feel at home every time she came back from the class or does she had to barge into other's room again this time? She let out a quiet sigh at the thought and curved a tiny smile as they parted their ways to their respective room. 

 

***

 

When she arrived, she saw Naeun was already getting ready for a bath, and she arched her eyebrows at the sight. 'That was fast.' Bomi thought to herself. 

 

"Oh hi." She politely greeted. 

 

Naeun bowed with a sweet smile before heading to the bathroom. Thirty minutes later when Bomi was lying at the bed, busy with a new chapter of her favourite manga, the girl had already in casual clothes, probably heading somewhere. 

 

"Library." She said as she flashed another sweet smile at her and wordlessly walked out from the room without any other explanation. 

 

Bomi frowned a bit. 'What's up with the library and all this people that connected to her keep on mentioning the place?' She thought to herself. 

 

And, then she realised. They're students and going to library is quite a norm for them and she laughed at herself for that. 'Enough with the ignorance, Yoon Bomi.' She smacked her forehead. 

 

Just when she thought she would spend the first night of her fourth year alone as it was already too late for Naeun to come home, and the girl probably had prepared to camp out at library, she heard steps coming in approximately at 3 am. She was too sleepy to even bother but her heart skipped a beat when she heard sniffles coming from the girl's bed. She peeked a bit, wanted to ask, and she's already going into warrior mode, trying to protect the latter, but she cancelled it when her night lamp got switched off and the girl snuggled into her blanket. 

 

And when the morning light shines in the next day, she sighed in defeat when she lost her chance to clarify more on last night's occurrence. Naeun had already left the room earlier with a piece of note she left on her table, 

 

"I'll get going first. Had something to do. Have a nice day." 

 

"Well, there would be next time." She said as she stretched herself.