Spring like girl

Spring, You | 봄 같은 여자

Bomi squinted over the shining blazing sun. It was first Monday of January, first day of her final year. She skipped happily, flashing her radiant smile as a constant thought echoed, 'another day to be the dazzling Yoon Bomi. Another day to pretence.' Her smile almost fainted as she was reminded by the words. But, she try her best anyway, to portrayed her amiable side to whom it may concern. 

 

"Here comes the summer like girl!" A hooted was heard when she passed the administrative office. 

 

"Oh, it's Bomi!" Some others squealed in delight. 

 

Bomi only nodded briefly and waved at them while turning upward breathtakingly. Bomi was known to be quite eminent in their school for her amiability and friendliness. The kind of girl who always smile cheerfully to others, constantly lending a hand to someone in need. The type of girl that ones rarely will appointed as enemy.  She enjoyed the deeds anyway, for she recalled how grateful their eyes peered on her every time she offered a help or even a genuine smile. Bomi was always polite to both girls and guys. And, that's the very reason both gender were practically in love with her to the core.

 

But, if she could be honest, she would've not named herself as a 'summer like girl'. Bomi hated summer. The only time that she ever enjoyed the supposedly hot, scorching weather was when drizzle or shower came along with it. For she could then snuggle herself inside a heavy blanket or even sat by the window with a warm sweater, wrapping her slender fingers over a cup of black tea, enjoying the sound of the rain. Yes. She would love that better. 

 

And, if she can choose, she would prefer herself as a 'spring like girl' instead. Bomi wasn't very sure of it but she was extremely fond of the season. That when the flower bud start to open with a glance of their vibrant colours, that when a gentle, delicate breeze blowed, slightly brushing away her flowy hair or even when she stood still, eyes staring upward, astonished by the amazing soft blue colour of the sky. 

 

She loves them. 

 

It was not too cold, for she will certainly despised it since all her fingers and toes will get pale and blues easily considering she suffered from hereditary anemia. And, it was not very warm either. Not to the point that she felt her face burned with the heat and sweat profusely trickled downs her face. It was an intermediate weather, the one that doesn't have to excessively glow, neither it have to be melancholy dull. 

 

She loves spring. And she wished to be like one. Inspiring people to buck themselves up as they continue on their life after experiencing harsh winter. 

 

She shook her head over the trivial thoughts and rushed her steps as she glanced on her watch. It was nearing 8.30, and she was nowhere near her lecture hall. 

 

As she finally arrived, she carefully pushed the door to minimise the creaky sound that come with it considering their building was the ancient one but her radiant sight was enough to create commotion in the room. She ignored it anyway, fixing her eyes on one person as she climbed the stairs, approaching the figure. 

 

"Annyong, Bomi." 

 

Bomi replied the girl's warm greet with a jolly grin. 

 

"It's great to see you again after a long holiday, Hayoung-ah!" She half-whispered with her high-pitched voice as she hold dearly onto the girl's hands. 

 

"Hi Bomi." Another voice called her. 

 

Bomi poked her head over Hayoung. It could just another illusion of hers but she was pretty sure she saw Eunji's lips curved into somewhat a thin smile. 

 

"Oh hi... Eunji." And this time, her high-pitched, joyful tone sounds more like a force. 

 

Bomi almost flinched when Eunji suddenly extended her hand, and she immediately caught on the sight of the small cute wrapped box on her palm. In an instant, an overwhelming warmth spread inside her, considering the girl was not in good terms with her for a couple years back, even when they shared a same circle of friends. 

 

"It was a new year gift. I couldn't send you one considering you didn't text us your new address." 

"Yup. Why didn't you tell us you're moving out to new apartment, Bomi? We could've come and give a hand." Hayoung playfully huffed. 

 

Bomi flashed a wide smile, this time heartfelt, as she lightly shook the present sideways. 

 

"Geez, thank you Eunji. You're the best." She genuinely thanked her as she start to build hopes that their relationship will turns better for once. 

 

Bomi still remember when she was in her second year. It was the first time she ever had a roommate as she was not granted with an accommodation during her first year. She was among those who get selected for a second intake as her grades and school interview doesn't went that well to begin with. But, she was thankful anyway. It was her dream to be in Sungkyunkwan. Her parents always picked on her, trying to make her obliged to choose a teaching profession instead but she rejected them bluntly. 

 

Bomi wanted to be an architect. She wanted to draw various plans of skyscrapers, high-rise, tall towers, and she envied those who got to explore the art behind every historical place in the world. 

 

However, after months of finishing her A-levels, her heart almost shattered as she stared onto a lifeless letter that she took with a trembling hands from the mail man. 

 

She read the sentences all over again as it written, 

 

"We're terribly sorry to reject your application. We appreciate your interest toward our University. And, we hope the best for your future." 

 

She almost feel her legs wobbled and wanting to gave her weight up. But, she hold herself strong anyway, for she knew nobody will do her such a favour. Thus, she sent another application, seeking for a second chance. 

 

Approximately two months later, another letter came in and this time she jumped in joy as it was finally a letter of acceptance instead. 

 

But, she can't denied a sinking feeling, the sense of inferiority start to overfill her as she realised what a cold, dark world Sungkyunkwan was. 

 

Everyone was practically at each other's throat, nitpicking and sneering at their own batch mate, comparing their skills and intelligence that Bomi somehow couldn't digest the behaviour. She didn't understand why would ones wants to pray for others failure when all of them could work together for a success. 

 

Until one particular day, she accidentally bump into Eunji's glistened eyes. The girl was at a laundry room when Bomi peeked into it as she heard a few sniffles. 

 

"Are you okay?" She tentatively voiced out. 

 

She was quite new to her peers, and she always held her nose up, exhibiting her confident self, every single time she passed by them, to avoid the awkwardness that may arise with an eye contact.

 

And, perhaps that was the reason she was unsure of the identity of the girl, if she's actually one of those in her class. But, she knew they've met before. She could tell from the stern looks that sometime pasted on the girl's face when she encountered into a stranger. 

 

To her surprise, the girl raised her head up to her, stiffly. She was curling herself just a moment ago and now she quickly stood up, stared with a strong gaze at Bomi. 

 

"I'm fine. You can ignore me. My laundry will be done soon." She pointed to the one of the washing machine. 

 

Bomi heaved a sigh as she realised the statement somehow sounded more like a plea. A begging for someone to come to a rescue, to keep her safe, to make she feel better. That's when she knew, she was destined to be there, for the poor girl. 

 

Her eyes was on the washing machine as she uttered, 

 

"Hmm, I don't know you. But, I think we've met before. I'm not trying to be a nosy girl or anything related to it, but if you really need a good listener, I'll be more than glad to be one."

 

She took a glance toward the girl and she saw a wretchedly confused look written on her face. She then flashed the warmest smile ever as the girl finally broke down in tears, showing her vulnerable side to a complete stranger. 

 

"I'm sorry. I wanted to call my mom, but she was in an urgent meeting with board of directors and I didn't know other things to do except for laundry to clear my mind out of it." 

 

Bomi patted her shoulder gently, keeping a respectable distance with the unknown girl. She nodded lightly as the girl continued, 

 

"School is hard and my roommates made it worse. She hates me, think that I'm a snobbish mommy-girl just because I talk about my family a lot. She also influenced others not to talk to me, spreading rumours about my haughtiness to stop others from befriended me." 

 

'We're already 20 for god sake.'

 

Bomi almost cursed under her breath as she shook in disbelief over the fact people in university still literally acting like a child. 

 

"Thank you, Bomi." The girl smiled sweetly as she wiped her tears. 

 

Bomi lifted her eyebrows, slightly widening her eyes, startled as she heard the girl casually said her name. She peeked down at her chest, to see if she accidentally hang her student ID around her neck hours after class but she found nothing. 

 

"We're in the same class. I'm an architecture student too." The girl chuckled as she gazed on Bomi's perplexed expression. 

 

And, it sound a lot cuter than Bomi thought it could be. To the point that it somehow doesn't suit her tough personality she portrayed to others. 

 

"We do?" She frowned even more. 

 

"Yes. And, I know you. You're the legendary Yoon Bomi." 

 

And, Bomi had never been as bewildered as that before. She cleared her throats, hiding the confusion in her. 

 

"Pardon?" 

"People always talk about you. In a good way I mean. You have your own special, unique way around others that made them  unknowingly seek for companion from you. Yet, you never depends on anyone. And, it somehow amazed them how you would survived on your own sometimes." 

 

Bomi could feel heat start to congest her cheeks due to the overly praised compliments, and she pretty sure her cheeks had resembled a ripe tomato by then. Red and plump. 

 

Yet, she can't help but to be agree with the girl. Everyone was figuratively clinging onto one another, displaying a fake smile and Bomi dislike it. That's why she chose to be by herself. 

 

No drama, and no whatsoever problem that may arise from the cheap, hoax friendship. 

 

And, that was practically the end of their interactions. Both of them survived their first year after that, pretending as if they never met each other that day. There would be some days though, when Bomi would sometimes smiled sincerely at her as they across each other and the girl will slightly bow and flash a smile back at her. 

 

She can't help but to feel glad as the girl now earns couple of friend that seems a lot nicer than her despicable roommate. 

 

That was until on the first day of her second year, when she finally rolled her luggage, entered the hostel room with a sticker of her name on the door, she got shocked as she realised Eunji's happy tone was welcoming her from the inside. 

 

"I guess it was destiny after all, Bomi. We accidentally met each other in first year, become acquaintances, and now looked at this. Let's be closer from now on." 

 

The remark itself was a total disaster. And, what happened after that was unbearable for Yoon Bomi. She grimaced over the memory. She still remembered how she swore to herself to put the small remark into a big picture, to become the girl that Eunji will proudly called as a good friend, boasting to others. But, it was proven to be useless after all. 

 

She, Yoon Bomi, could hardly become close to someone named Jung Eunji. 

 

However never in her life, would she ever detested the girl, she even appreciated the fact that her name was put into a same room as Eunji. Because of her, Bomi earned a few girls who she can spelled out loud as friends. Those who always at her sides, who never turned their back from her, those who finally embraced her in the way she is comfortable with. 

 

"Okay class." Professor Shin cleared his throats, as he make a way to the podium. 

 

Bomi returned to the reality and diverted her attention to the professor. They were basically there for a simple briefing regarding dos and don'ts as a fourth year architecture student. Something about punctuality to classes, warning on not to miss the deadlines for the reports, full attendance and blah blah blah. 

 

Bomi couldn't even care less on what her professor was babbling. It was the same reminder over the years anyway. 

 

And, what's new? This year assemblage of students is. 

 

Sungkyunkwan has a distinctive way in causing miseries to their students. The group mate for the yearly project will be changed for every consecutive year. 

 

They said it was to enhance the bond between each students. Bomi think it was a complete nonsense. Why should the school attached them together with someone who they're not keen with? 

 

However, this year is different. It was their final year and she can't wait to finally got to know her group mate for the final year's project as those people could be blessing in disguise or it could even turned out to be a poisoned chalice. 

 

***

 

"Oh gosh! I'm so excited. Who would've know that we got into the same group?" Hayoung squealed in delight. 

 

Yup. Who would? She let out a quiet sigh. They were 10 people in one group yet none of her last year's group mates made into the list. To be honest, she felt quite comfortable with those people. They were nice and she hadn't encounter any trouble while they were in the same group. 

 

But, at least she still had Hayoung, and... Eunji. Although she wasn't that sure of the latter, as the girl doesn't seems so fond of how the group was formed. 

 

"Let's strive harder this year." A mysterious guy then come out of nowhere, tilting his head to the side, peeking on Hayoung. He smiled politely as he uttered those words of encouragement. 

 

Bomi who was on her side, almost twitched away for the sudden gesture. 

 

"Who is that? I've never seen him before." Bomi finally blurted out her thoughts as the guy moved away from their sight. 

 

"It's Baekhyun. We're in the same group last year. I guess we will work together again." Hayoung smiled as she reminisced on the guy's courtesy toward her. 

 

"He always helped around. You should be rest assured as he was indeed a great addition to the group." Hayoung then pointed on his name at the list. 

 

"See here, Byun Baekhyun. It's him." And her smile grew wider.

 

"Oh gosh. Don't tell me that you don't know him, Bomi?" Eunji interrupted. 

 

Bomi furrowed her eyebrows with a curious, do-I-really-have-to-know-him look. 

 

"He's the top in our class! The only person who got rewarded with The Talent Award of Korea in our school, Bomi-ah! He's that Byun Baekhyun!" Eunji enthusiastically exclaimed.