New Server

Glory

“Welcome to Heenim Cybercafe!” Heechul, the owner of the cybercafé greeted the customers who were coming in. When he realized that it was actually Taeyeon and Jonghyun, he went over to personally greet them. “Jonghyun-ah! Taeyeon-ah! What brings the both of you here today?” He asked. “Isn’t it the launch of the new server tonight?” Jonghyun said. The three of them chatted for a while. Then, Heechul organized two seats for Jonghyun and Taeyeon.

 

“Here, Area B, seats 9 and 10 upstairs.” Heechul handed two account cards for the both of them. The area on the second floor was for the VIPs. Since Jonghyun was a professional player, he had to hide away from the crowd of users downstairs.

 

Heechul is the owner of the popular internet café chain named Heenim. His internet cafés are so popular that there are currently twenty different branches all around Korea. There were talks of another few branch openings in other countries of Asia. The name of the internet café was named after himself. Talk about self-love huh…

 

Not only is he a successful businessman, he used to be one of the main rosters of Team SJ. A powerhouse of Phantasy League in the early days of the league. When old age was catching up on Heechul and his fellow team members, Heechul had decided to retire and open up an internet café using the money he earned from his years in the pro scene. Honestly, Heechul had only wanted to make a simple living from this internet café but he would have never thought that he would make it this far.

 

Heenim Cybercafe was a premium internet café providing many different facilities for its customers. Not only were the cafés big, each containing seven rows with 15 seats on both sides of each row. The café also provides well cooked food and 10 rooms for customers to rest. There were also smoking areas for customer that preferred to smoke while gaming.

 

After he had helped sort out a few things for his employees, Heechul decided to go upstairs to play Phantasia with his two friends. “Call me if you need any help.” He told his employees before he went upstairs. “It’s almost midnight! Are you two ready?” He asked as he sat down in front of a computer beside the other two’s. They both nodded. “Why are you even here Jonghyun? Don’t you have a strict schedule?” He asked curiously. Back in the early days of the league, there was not much of restriction for the pro players. They did not need to sleep on time and practice with fixed hours. “Everyone was given two days off since the new server is launching.” He answered Heechul.

 

Jonghyun was a player from team Shinee. He made into the pro scene during Taeyeon’s final year in the professional scene. The two of them became friends from an after party held by Jonghyun’s team when they successfully made it into the season play-offs. They were rookies that year so it was quite an accomplishment for them.

 

“Oh.” Heechul replied. As the clock hits midnight, the three of them slide their new account cards into the Phantasia Online machine, a log-in device that is connected to their computers. Account cards only needed to be inserted into the device for the players to log into the game. Since Phantasia Online is an extremely popular game in Korea, the device has become a standard computer accessory for internet cafés.

 

“Have the both of you decided which class are you playing?” Jonghyun asked. “Of course I’m choosing BladeDancer! It’s the class I’ve been playing all these years!” Heechul said excitedly. “We have to make sure we get to log into the game first though.” Taeyeon said.

 

It was true. When Phantasia first launched their second server years ago, the server had too many people logging in at once causing the server to break down. So, the developers of the game decided to limit the amount of accounts that can log into the game during the launching of a new server.

 

When the new server was officially launched, the three of them immediately logged-in. They successfully logged-in. Heechul had obviously chose to play the Swordsman class based on what he said just now while Jonghyun had choose to play the Figther class. It was the class that he specializes in after all. Taeyeon was still hesitant in choosing the class she wants so she leaves that for later.

 

In Phantasia, there were a total of six classes. Swordsman, Mage, Marksman, Warrior, Fighter and Nightwalker. Each of these classes have their own sub-classes. Heechul used to be a Bladedancer player while Jonghyun was a striker. Taeyeon’s account’s character was a Battle Mage when she was in the pro scene but she was a master in all six classes including the sub-classes. This is why she was hesitant in choosing her new character’s class. In the end, she had chosen the Marksman class.

 

‘I'll just choose which sub-class later on then.’ Taeyeon decided. Sub-classes can only be chosen when a player reaches level 20. All sub-classes have their own specialties and unique skill sets. A player can learn all the skills of their chosen classes that are below level 20 but when a player reaches level 20 and chooses a sub class, they cannot learn skills from other sub-classes.

 

The Marksman class was obviously a class that deals damage from a long range based on the name of the class. It has a total of three classes in total. They were Sharpshooters, Launchers and Spitfire. Taeyeon just felt like playing Marksman. If someone had told her that she would return to the pro scene with this very account that she is playing right now, she would have thought that person was crazy but who would’ve thought huh….

 

The three of them all spawned at the Hall of Beginning. It was the place where players all start their game at. They soon started to accept quests from NPCs and were completing them. They all knew what their goal was for finishing all these quests. The equipment rewards given from the NPCs were not important since they were only White Equipment. There were a total of five different grades for the equipment in the game. White, green, blue, purple and orange.

 

White equipment was the lowest rank amongst all the different colour grades as they do not provide any additional stats aside from the basic attack strength and speed. The stats of white equipment were also the lowest compared to the others. Green equipment was a grade higher than white. It does have better performance than white equipment since it provides additional stats but compared to the other grades, it was low. Blue equipment was the most common equipment used. They can be earned from dungeon drops and the stats were not that bad. As for purple and orange, they were the rarest equipment with orange being the rarer one. Players need to at least have some skills to obtain them.

 

There was also another grade of equipment known as the silver equipment. These equipment were all self-made. Phantasia Online provides the players an equipment editor that lets the players to create their own unique equipment. These equipment are the ones that top-tier teams of the professional league uses. They were considered the strongest and highest grade due to it being able to be upgraded without limits. Players can constantly upgrade and change their silver equipment unlike the in-game provided ones. You can only do so much with those.

 

However, not all silver equipment were powerful. Self-made equipment weren’t necessarily powerful but the most powerful equipment were definitely self-made. Silver equipment could only either be an epic piece of unique equipment or a unique piece of trash.

 

Taeyeon and the other two clearly did not care about the equipment. What they care about however were the skill point rewards. Skill points are very important for a character as they are the points used for learning and upgrading skills. In Phantasia, different skills require from 10 to 50 skill points. If a max level, level 70, character managed to finish all the necessary quests then the account will have up to 4000 skill points. However, the maximum skill points a character can obtain 5000. So, the other 1000 skill points left to obtain requires some luck and strength to obtain.

 

Currently, they each have around 320 or more skill points. Taeyeon decided to learn a few skills and was left with some points. She decided that it enough for now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/n: I guess im probably doing world building and Taeyeon's character development in the early stages of the story before we truly dive into the main plot. You think I should make Jessica appear next chap?