first

Divergent AU

Felix leaned against the metal walls, looking down in the pit with a tight heart. He was never comfortable with heights, and that was the exact reason he would hang out here a lot. The adrenaline rushing through his veins, making his head light and his muscles tense was something he could never get enough of.

 

Though this time he was interrupted by desperate shrieks and it didn’t take long for Felix to realize it’s that time of the year. He remembered his first time jumping down and how scared he was. Felix wasn’t born into dauntless, he was from amity. But even for him the continuous smiles were too much. Though he had struggled trying to get in, being almost thrown out a few times he managed to get through it with the help of Chan. Chan had been the ace of his year, even though he came from abnegation.

 

But now, seeing the tear covered face of a girl with black and white clothes he felt more irritated than anything. Most of the kids jumping down were dauntless, though there were some Candors and Erudites. Felix unintentionally made a mental note that this year there were no Amities. He sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets as he walked away from the scene.

 

It didn’t take him long to find his friend in the cafeteria, bent over a plate filled with sweets. Felix scrunched up his nose at the sight but still walked over to him. With a swift movement, he snatched the untouched muffin before sitting down in front of the other. “Yah!” Jisung protested loudly, looking up at him with big eyes and stuffed cheeks. “You could lose the calories.” Felix teased, taking a bite out of the muffin as the other’s face dropped.

 

After swallowing the food stored in his cheeks he glared at Felix. “Are you calling me fat?” Jisung said loudly, kicking the blonde boy’s shins. He shrugged it off with a laugh, taking another bite of the muffin before placing it back on Jisung’s plate. The boy shot him one last glare before hogging his food close to him.

 

“The new kids are here.” Felix mumbled, nodding towards the pit as he watched him eat. “Already?” Jisung echoed before adding: “How many new ones?”

“Three.”

 

“What kind?”

 

“One candor and two erudite.”

 

“Candor.” Jisung repeated, pulling up his nose. Felix never understood the rivalries between factions, although he did understand why everyone was weary of dauntless. Even he was weary of his own faction.

 

“Makes me wonder if they really got dauntless on their tests,” Felix mumbled. It wouldn’t be the first time a person choose a faction that they hadn’t gotten on the test. Jisung just softly hummed, turning back to his food.

 

“If they didn’t it would be stupid to choose dauntless.” Jisung whispered so softly it was hard to understand in the loud cafeteria. With pursed lips Felix watched him stuff his mouth with cornbread. This always happened, whenever he brought up the test Jisung would get quiet or change the subject.

 

“Well either way, keep Chan away from the switchers.” Felix replied, dropping the subject because he didn’t want the other to stuff his face and excuse himself to the bathroom. Almost on command, a strong arm locked around Felix’s neck. A laugh erupted from the boy, his hands loosely grabbing the arm. “Chan!” He called out almost breathlessly with a smile. They managed the lift up Jisung’s mouth and with a giggle he threw his muffin right at Chan who caught it before it dropped on the ground.

 

Chan smiled softly, his dimples decorating his face as he let the younger go. “You should watch your back if you’re talking about people.” He said, amusement lacing his words as he tossed the muffin back to Jisung, who caught it effortlessly. “Shouldn’t you help the kids?” Felix shot back as Chan took a seat next to him, rubbing his neck with a frown while ignoring Jisung who was loudly laughing at him.

 

“I’m not assigned to them this year.” The older replied, shrugging his shoulders while patting his grey bangs to try and fix them. “Looks like they won’t make it then.” Felix commented without much thought but Chan flinched at his words. “The trainers this year will take care of the new kids, it’s their job.” Chan frowned, flicking the blonde’s forehead to shut him up. Jisung grinned at him, pointing his finger at Felix before letting out a chuckle. The oldest turned to the brown-haired boy: “And you should stop eating so late.”

 

“His stomach could digest the entire dauntless kitchen and still sleep like a rose.” Felix mumbled and Jisung nodded in agreement, a sheepish smile on his face before he took the last bite of the muffin. Chan shook his head with a smile. “We should tell Jihyo to stop giving him so much food.”

 

“Jihyo loves me.” Jisung shot back with a cheeky grin and almost drop a piece of the food in his mouth on the ground. “She really does.” Felix agreed sadly. “She only gives me an apple as a snack but gives Jisung five meals.” He said with a pout, folding his arms over his chest which made Jisung’s smile only wider. “Favoritism shouldn’t be allowed.” Chan replied, but he knew the girl liked Jisung more than the average dauntless for some reason.

 

 

 

“Well.” Chan said with a clear voice, putting his hands on the table and pushing himself up. “If I don’t have to help the new kids I’m just going to sleep in.” He said, nudging Felix one last time before leaving the table. Felix hummed: “I’m gonna sleep too.”

 

“You’re all boring.” Jisung complained, although he stood up from the table too and followed his friend to the beds.