Two

Tit For Tat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Sooyoung has two contrasting personalities to her whole self; one on stage - Joy - and the other - Sooyoung - shows itself when she feels comfortable with the people around her. She has always made sure to remain professional and maintain a distance on stage because it’s just a persona used specially for her job. Her charisma is not something to be trifled with or doubted in the least but off-stage, Joy is terribly affectionate and full of aegyo towards her members. She is proud of it because it brings the members laughter in ways she never thought it would when they were first chosen to form the group.

The first person who approached her to make friends was Kang Seulgi; the talented queen among the trainees then. Seulgi’s long training period had amazed Joy when she first found out and Joy wanted to learn so much from the latter. She was overjoyed when she found out she’d be in the same group as Seulgi after the interim evaluation.

“Sooyoung?”

“Yes, Unnie?” Joy answers without turning around. She already knows she won’t be able to control her expression in front of one of the two involved parties in her horrible mood. It’s not her fault and Joy knows it, which is why she feels worse. “Sorry I wasn’t performing during practice. My back was aching so bad.”

Irene doesn’t respond to that sad excuse, because it’s nowhere near the actual truth that Irene wants to hear. She can see through Joy’s lies at once but she isn’t going to force the younger to open up because everyone needs their space sometimes. It’s obvious from the way Joy isn’t having breakfast with them or even if she does, she leaves the table first. The one who always leaves first is Wendy, because of her crazy diet and Joy is the last to leave the table along with Seulgi.

Then again, everyone’s been behaving weirdly ever since the night of the SMTOWN concert so Irene doesn’t want to question it. She might not be ready to receive the various answers that could be causing this. Being a leader doesn’t mean she’s capable of handling things head-on yet.

Irene moves to stand beside Joy, her eyes scanning the latter’s study desk. She can’t help but smile tenderly when she sees the books on atop it; her girls are still studying to improve themselves.

“Seulgi tells me you’ve been avoiding her, Sooyoung-ah. What’s going on with the two of you?” Irene takes on a sterner tone this time. She’s not playing around, neither does she want more unbelievable excuses. The longer this issue lasts, the more obvious it’s going to be. “She’s quite upset about it but she’s too scared to talk to you.”

What kind of response is Irene or Seulgi, in that sense, looking for? There’s nothing in the world Joy wants than to maintain the group peace but she needs time to build up her act again. It takes a lot of strength to pretend nothing is bothering her, particularly because everything is happening in front of her.

Joy sits on her swivel chair with her head tilted towards the ceiling, staring blankly into space. She hates being involved in drama but how to go back to acting normal towards Seulgi? If someone were to ask Joy about how she’s going to handle this, she can safely say she has no freaking idea. Seulgi is one of the purest, most innocent people Joy has ever seen but this is an odd level of pure. Seulgi never seems to get the hint when Joy tries to tell her something on the quiet… and that happens to include her blossoming feelings for the dancing bear.

What to do?

 

*

 

Taeyeon sits alone in the café, reminiscing memories of her group members and the hard times that have occurred between them. They really proved everyone wrong and became the legendary girl group everyone said they wouldn’t ever be when they first debuted. They might be busy with solo activities right now but she has faith that they will come back as a full group really soon. It is because of her members that she has the strength to go solo and do well in her endeavors; though her lack of ability to express these important, heart-warming feelings might remain in a torturous cycle because of the things she hears from the public.

It is unfortunate, but she is noticing someone else retreating into shell of their own self. She doesn’t want to stand by without doing anything or she might have to watch that person regret it in time to come. She hates it because it’s one of her precious dongsaengs involved.

“How troubling.”

“What is, Unnie?”

Taeyeon rolls her eyes when she sees the young one sitting in front of her; she’s been waiting alone for almost half an hour now. Here comes one of her closest dongsaengs, walking in without a hint of remorse.

“You’re late, Kim Yerim.”

Yeri pouts wistfully, sending Taeyeon one of her most charming smiles (though it doesn’t work like she expects it to). She hands Taeyeon a packet of gummies she purchased on the way over here, giggling when the older woman starts beaming like a child at the sight of her gummy snacks. So much for being a mature, wise woman turning 30 soon, huh? Yeri honestly can’t imagine it happening; Taeyeon has so many different sides to her and most of them don’t even meet the late twenties range. Her personality is the one thing Yeri looks up to the most, because she's just so strong in handling everything that gets thrown at her face or onto her plate. 

It is one of the reasons why Yeri comes to Taeyeon for advice, and this is one of those times right now. She knows there is tension in the dorm and it happens to be between two best friends on either side. Joy and Seulgi; who get along the best when it comes to having fun together aren't speaking to each other. Irene and Wendy; who happens to be a couple are on the verge of having their relationship on the rocks.

“Unnie,” Yeri starts hesitantly, catching Taeyeon’s attention instantly. Hesitance never comes from the younger one. “That day at the waiting room, you could feel it too. And that’s why you hugged Wendy-unnie so tightly and for so long, right?”

“Yes.”

A straight answer isn’t exactly what Yeri is expecting, but it assures her that Taeyeon is nowhere near involved in the couple’s problem either. She, being the piggy in the middle, can’t do much to help because all of them have been treating her the same. Getting involved in the couple’s issues doesn’t seem to be smart or something Yeri would do; trying to solve the misunderstanding between Joy and Seulgi is just as impossible – the murderous way Joy glared at her two days ago when she took her phone as a joke is enough warning as it is.

“I know Wendy finds it difficult to watch Irene and Seulgi having fun together so I made sure to explain the excessive fanservice,” Taeyeon says softly, sipping her hot chocolate. She can’t even smile though. “But if Irene isn’t going to assure Wendy every now and then, they’re not going to last. I’ve been through it too that’s why Wendy stayed with us in the waiting room to listen.”

“Unnie…” Yeri frowns, gently patting Taeyeon’s hand resting on the table.

It’s okay.

Taeyeon will be okay as long as she doesn’t let the people around her sink into the same mistake she did – she too missed the opportunity to assure her girlfriend of the past, and she regrets it to this very day.

“Help them out, Yerim.”

Yeri gulps awkwardly; she doesn’t know how to tell the older members that she wants to help. It is, after all, none of her business and there will always be a barrier because of their age differences. She is close to all of them and perhaps goes overboard with her teasing sometimes but emotional problems are not easy. 

“I’ll try my best, Unnie.”

 

You see... Yeri doesn't always seem to be at her brightest, which is why Wendy relishes that moment whenever it happens in front of her. She was called out by Yeri to have some ice cream together after her recording so here they are, sitting in a dessert cafe with none of the other members around. The truth is: Wendy guessed Taeyeon would tell Yeri sooner or later, considering how close the two of them are. It is normal, almost second nature, for Taeyeon to get someone else to help if she can't do it personally. Asking Yeri out of the remaining members is kind of a question mark still though; is it the smartest decision to be made? 

Well, Yeri's idea of help is making Wendy pay for her dessert combo and watching her eat to her heart's content...? Nevermind, Wendy will keep shut instead; their youngest might be a satan in disguise but when she gets worried, her concern goes above and beyond.

“Unnie… I know you’re not okay. I know you don’t like seeing Seulgi-unnie and Irene-unnie so close together.”

Wendy clenches her jaw visibly, crossing her arms over her chest. She really detests this topic more than anything else in the world, and that’s talking about her weight included. She doesn’t like it when the people around her start talking about how Seulgi and Irene would make a good-looking couple even if she knows it herself. These are the kind of reminders that used to make Wendy work harder to be compatible with Irene but not anymore; now they just cause pain. It breaks Wendy's heart to keep imagining Irene's life without herself but the sight of Irene and Seulgi in each other's arms keep appearing in her dreams; the only place where Wendy can feel at ease with herself. 

It's almost as if fate is showing her a sign: that maybe... Irene deserves Seulgi instead. Seulgi, who is perfect in every single way and definitely charismatic enough for fans to be accepting should they get exposed. There are already people who will most likely wish Seulgi and Irene every happiness but for Wendy and Irene? 

“True. I hate it when they’re together. I hate the fact that my best friend is better than me in every way.” Wendy’s nostrils are flaring in slight anger as her emotions work up into a knot. She bites her lower lip to hold back the tears pooling in her gorgeous eyes. “I really don’t like it when fans ship them like that; it doesn’t make me angry but it hurts. It hurts, Yerim. And even with that, Irene won’t ever realise.”

Irene?

Yeri’s initial frown grows even deeper; she doesn’t remember Wendy ever calling Irene by her stage name, mostly because Wendy adores Irene’s birth name so much. It isn't something too big to pay attention to but it's one of the tiniest details that matter the most sometimes. One good example will be how Joy doesn't seem to be around at home as often anymore; she doesn't come out for movie nights as long as Seulgi is there first. Or it could be the times where Wendy asks Yeri if Irene and Seulgi are alone in the living room before coming out - neither of these things used to happen.

It worries and pains Yeri to know that fanservice is the issue standing between the four members. She hates being addressed as the maknae most of the time but she wants to come home and be welcomed by her joyful unnies who always love and pamper her like mothers. Now coming home seems to be a question for Yeri too. 

“I hate that we’re on domestic terms, Seungwan-unnie,” Yeri admits albeit bashfully, though that vanishes the moment she sees Wendy grinning at her like Cheshire cat. “But I know Seulgi-unnie and Irene-unnie love you very much; their actions don’t mean their true feelings. You know that.”

Wendy changes the topic as soon as she gets the opportunity, and Yeri doesn’t stop her this time. She can tell some load has at least been let off Wendy’s mind and for that, she’s thankful. Yeri doesn’t always have a good way with words, neither do her actions exactly spell 'L-O-V-E' and that’s why she often sees her teasing as a form of affection. Wendy, on the other hand, is so smooth with both her words and actions effortlessly hence the nickname ‘Butter Wannie’. She knows how to make it sound as if she’s fine when in reality she’s not – and that’s exactly what Yeri is (unfortunately) missing at this point.

Wendy is fine.

Seungwan isn’t.

 

[Sooyoungie - 04.15pm]

where are you unnie

can you come get me

 

[Seungwan - 04.20pm]

sure

want me to bring Yerim?

 

[Sooyoungie - 04.23pm]

why not?

 

Joy keeps her phone in her pocket, sniffling into her sweater paws as she watches the crew have fun without her. She's usually a good sport for these gatherings and whatnot after the end of a drama but her thoughts are jumble

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter