09. Surprises Surprises Surprises

유리(Yuri) Glass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

09. Surprises Surprises Surprise

(That's three surprises up there; the best kinds you can have. You're welcome.)

May 30, 2015

Yoona nearly fainted in surprise seeing Changmin in her doorsteps with a coffee in hand and a greeting that almost made her want to literally faint.

But in shock, she only responded with, “What are you doing here?”

Changmin laughed as if she’d said something funny. “I’m taking you to work, Yoona-ssi. Here, take your coffee.” He handed her the coffee, which she took instinctively. “You’re ready to go right? We’re gonna be late soon.” Then he took her folders and closed the door behind her.

“Changmin—” She felt too lost for words that she just found herself following behind him.

He opened the passenger seat for her but she didn’t move from her spot as he moved to his side ready to go in but noticed her. “Did you forget something?”

She looked at him right then. “Changmin— you don’t have to do this… I can—”

“Only for today, Yoona. It’s a special day, remember?” He smiled at her so warmly and so annoyingly sweet, she felt a little guilty.

Oh. Hell. Just this once. She nodded with a small smile. “Thank you— for the coffee and the ride.”

 “And for the flowers,” Changmin added, grinning. “Sorry. Look inside.”

Her brows creased as she peeked inside the car and saw a huge bouquet of colorful flowers. “You can’t be serious. I can’t bring those inside the office.”

“Why not?”

“Because…” Because Jung Jessica will throw a fit. “Because my boss will be furious.” Stupid.

Changmin suddenly looked as if he was trying to hold his laughter that it annoyed her. “I’ll talk to him, don’t worry.”

“No— I… Ugh… Fine. I hate you, Shim,” she said finally and took her seat. She practically ignored him the whole ride as revenge, which unfortunately didn’t entice Changmin in leaving her alone for the day since she received a message from him just a moment after he dropped her off.

From: Shim Changmin

See you at dinner tonight. Have a good day at work!

For the first time in years, Yoona was actually looking forward to her birthday dinner. Maybe because it’s been a long time and today actually feels different from all the others. She just can’t tell how or why it’s different this time around.

It’s Changmin, a voice whispered but she shook her head and pushed the thought away as soon as it came. Then she started wandering way back in the past. Her memories were in pieces and they came not only with remembrance but also with emotions that wrapped her mind and heart like clouds.

“Hey,” a distant voice called, but her mind wandered somewhere else that she didn’t pay much attention to it.

“Yoona...” The voice sounded clearer this time and she unconsciously turned her head.

Maybe because she was feeling a little hazy and her mind was somewhere, but the moment her gaze fell upon the figure, she saw Choi Seunghyun and her heart pounded inside her chest.

She blinked twice and as her eyes came to clear, she breathed in relief.

Changmin. Shim Changmin looked at her with his usual smile.

“What are you doing here?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter