My safe haven [RED VELVET: SEULRENE]

Ajoomma's bin

Bae Irene, a rising soloist and an actress with multiple job offers, album release, endorsements and packed schedule with tours and photo shoots but despite the soaring fame, she wasn't happy.

 

Throughout her career, she felt like she's living in someone else's shadow. She doesn't really feel like she has accomplished anything despite the awards that can fill out an entire room. Because after all, she accomplished those becase—

 

" how do you feel like being BoA's little sister? " all her life, she felt like all what she has right now belongs to her stepsister, Kwon Bo-ah. BoA who is the queen of Korean pop.

 

Irene softly smiled, trying hard not to be blinded by continuous flashes of cameras that are attacking her " I'm proud and very blessed " she briefly answered, the response that she's been repeating for almost every time she will get asked about it. I'm proud, I'm very blessed, I'm very thankful, I'm grateful— like a broken recorder.

 

" your movie is a massive success, what does your sister feel about it? " it should be about her, it should be how do I feel about it, yet her sister's name is always tailing everything that she does, everything that is supposed to be just her. Irene has never felt like she's the main lead of anything, she's just a second lead behind her sister, she felt like it's her defined position in this world.

 

" I'm really thankful that a lot of people enjoyed it and of course, I'm grateful about everyone who made this whole movie a great one and to my co-actors that really did an amazing job " she answered, leaving out the details about her sister's 'reaction'.

 

" have BoA watched it yet? " Irene bitterly chuckled inside her mind, even how hard she tries to shake off her sister's name in the topic, it just cannot.

 

" I'm not sure, she's busy " she smiled, tired of trying to escape from her sister's name.

 

BoA has barely helped Irene throughout her career because they had never been fond of each other, most likely BoA, she doesn't have a soft spot for Irene. BoA just helped Irene get in the agency where she is in and from that, Irene has worked hard for herself.

 

The unfair feeling that lingers onto Irene's heart is the credit that BoA is receiving in her whole career that it covers up the hard work that she had put in it.

 

People thought that she had it easy because of BoA, that she didn't have to sweat, spend too much time on practicing, but they failed to see every sleepless night that Irene did to practice her vocals, every bruise she earns whenever she practices her dance— she didn't have enough credit for her hard work. 

 

Irene and BoA are step-sisters, although most people don't know that they are just step-sisters. BoA's mother died when she was just a teenager and for years her father just poured every ounce of his attention primarily to her but everything went differently when her father met Irene's mother. 

 

Irene's mother is beautifully elegant and that easily captured BoA's father's heart even with the fact that Irene's mom already has her. Being a charismatic guy that BoA's father is, Irene's mother fell in love with him as well. They exchanged vows that they would take care of each other and accept every condition that there is in order to be together.

 

Irene never had a good memory with her sister because when she started to be aware of the world, her sister is already the queen of Korean music that she barely sees her around. BoA was once her role model, she dreamt of being like her one day, but the highly thinking of Irene towards BoA shattered—

 

" Irene wake-up, we're already here at your parent's house " her manager gently shook her shoulder. She slowly opened her eyes and looked outside the window to confirm it.

 

" I'm going to sleep here, just pick me up tomorrow " she said before hopping out of the van, not even bothering to say goodbye to her manager. She hates having more than a business relationship with people, she had enough of having her walls down.

 

Irene deeply sighed before entering the house and having a smile on her lips. Some maids noticed her and immediately greeted her " where's mom and dad? " she asked.

 

" they are already at the kitchen with your sister " a maid answered which made Irene nod and continued her trails towards the kitchen where she can already hear the liveliness through waves of laughter that are coming from the direction.

 

Irene had to fake a cough to make everyone be aware of her presence " omo, here's the reason for this gathering! " it feels so good being the 'main', Irene thought.

 

Her mother immediately stood up to give a big and warm hug which she gladly accepted and her step-father just smiled at her " congratulations " BoA hugged her as well " you did a great job " she smiled.

 

If this is a movie, I bet she'll get an outstanding award " thank you unnie " Irene smiled back. They have to do up to this extent because their parents ' think' that they have a very close bond and neither of them wants to crush the happy family figure in their parent's eyes.

 

" now sit down, sit down " her mother enthusiastically told the two " I've cooked every food that I know you guys would like, please help yourself. I know it's hard to have homemade foods especially you Irene " her mother said.

 

" we're very sorry that we couldn't go to the premiere of your movie earlier, something came up " her father said which made Irene frown— she never really expected anyone in the family to attend it but 'something big came up'? What is that?

 

" Seulgi came back home from States " her father said making Irene's frown got deeper. 

 

Seulgi is BoA's child, she had Seulgi when she's on the peak of her career with another rising singer so she had to hide the girl but like what everyone says, there's no secret that can't be found. Despite that, BoA's career didn't come into an end and even skyrocketed.

 

It helped that the man who is the child's father is Yunho who is very loved by the public as well, but even so the public accepted Seulgi, BoA and Yunho has still decided to send Seulgi away to hide the kid from the limelight " she wants to spend her eighteenth birthday here " BoA explained more.

 

The last time that Irene had seen Seulgi was when the kid is still 2 years old. Irene has been always fond of Seulgi because she somehow became her playmate. Seulgi also has that eye smile and chubby cheeks as a baby that Irene adores.

 

" too bad that you've arrived right after she went upstairs to have some rest. She's very big now and very pretty, you'll be shocked when you see her tomorrow " her mother said with a big smile.

 

" hmm... " Irene can only hum and continue eating her food, she ain't that excited although she once liked the kid when she's a baby. 

 

 

Irene grunts when she felt like her sleepiness in her body is starting to wear off, she stretched her short limbs and arms before slowly opening her eyes but her princess-like waking up scene became a horror—

 

Irene immediately sat up, inching away from the person who's still a bit blurry from her vision " wh... who are you!? " she shouted.

 

The girl giggled, tilting her head slightly as she looks very amused at Irene who's now having her vision clearer and clearer as seconds pass by— the girl has very long chestnut colored hair, monolid, face is very refined, plump naturally pink lips, long lashes, and warm eyes— Irene was awed by how beautiful the girl is.

 

" Seu... Seulgi? " Irene even had to scratch her eyes to confirm her guess— she has only seen Seulgi as a grown up in pictures that her mother occasionally sends her.

 

" mawmaw wanted me to wake you up for breakfast " Seulgi calls her grandmother mawmaw and her grandfather pawpaw, she finds it adorable when she was a little kid and that nickname grew on her so she just decided to continue calling them that way.

 

" but you look so peaceful as you sleep so I can't get myself to disturb you " she shrugged as she explains " I just waited for you to wake up on your own, Joohyun unnie " Irene momentarily froze when she heard what Seulgi just called her, it was her birth name that has long forgotten when she entered the entertainment industry, even her parents call her by her stage name now.

 

" is there anything wrong unnie? " Seulgi asked— that eye smile is still there, it's much more adorable compared to when she was a baby. 

 

" ju... just go down now, I'll get myself ready and follow you in a minute " Irene seemed very flustered. Luckily, Seulgi followed her in an instant and went out of her room.

 

Irene went down to have breakfast, she's already dressed because she has a morning shoot and her manager is going to pick her up in a minute.

 

" can I go with you? " Seulgi asks as she munches a toast " mom went out very early, mawmaw and pawpaw will have their afternoon nap later— I'll get bored " Seulgi added.

 

" defi— " nitely no... Irene was cut off by her mother who agreed on her behalf " of course you can! Irene would take good care of you, right sweetheart? " her mother asked with a big smile, something that Irene couldn't handle to reject.

 

" of course " Irene nonchalantly said.

 

Irene had no other but to bring Seulgi with her, that immediately put her in a bad mood. Now I have to babysit? She whines inside her mind as look at the well behave Seulgi who's just sitting next to her whilst she's having her hair done.

 

Seulgi is just sitting quietly right next to Irene but she is garnering a lot of eyes. Some might probably recognize her as BoA's daughter since some of her pictures are circulating around the internet and some might be just simply captivated by how beautiful looking Seulgi is.

 

" ya " Irene threw one of her face masks on Seulgi's lap " wear that if ever you feel uncomfortable " she says without any hint of expression in her face.

 

" don't worry unnie, I don't really feel uncomfortable " Seulgi brightly said.

 

" I'm not worried, don't mix it up "

 

Irene's shoot started, Seulgi was left watching her behind the camera. 

 

Irene's just trying hard to finish the shoot quickly but even so, she still takes it very professionally, expressions and poses change every click of the camera, complying to the demand of the photographer.

 

" great! great! " the photographer shouts every once in a while " very nice, you work like your sister! Just like your sister, you're like a perfect replica of BoA— very professional. People should just hire you if they can't afford BoA's talent fee " the last thing he said after the last shot.

 

It was a very usual thing that Irene hears in everyday basis and she's so used to it but suddenly someone steps up for her " isn't that a bit rude? And can't you compliment her without mentioning another artist's name? " a voice echoed around the studio, it came off very calm but it made everyone stop what they are doing and paid attention to Seulgi who voiced out her displease.

 

" sorry? " the photographer looked at Seulgi and started scanning her from head to toe—

 

" I said if you're going to compliment her, do it properly " Seulgi continued, trying hard to use simplest words for the man to understand her " do I need to write it down for you? Am I speaking too fast for you to understand what I mean? " she tilted her head like she's talking to a kid.

 

Irene's quick enough to rush to Seulgi's direction, hiding the girl behind her and from the photographer's wrath " I'm really sorry— she grew up from another country so her attitude is a bit... I'm really sorry " Irene can only apologize for multiple times which Seulgi can't understand why but she felt apologetic for having her unnie do it.

 

Seulgi gently grabbed her unnie's arm to make her stop from apologizing on behalf of her " I'm sorry " Seulgi apologized " I didn't mean to come off too rude, I just want you to compliment my unnie properly. I'm sorry " Seulgi repeated.

 

It's new to Irene, no one has ever defended her, stood up for her or even took her side in situations like this. 

 

It's kinda funny to have Seulgi who is my step-sister's daughter to stood up from me.

 

" next time don't do such kind of scene. No, scratch that, there will be no next time " Irene sighed as she watches Seulgi eats a huge serving of ice cream by herself. The girl insisted to stop by the ice cream parlor and Irene who was touched by what Seulgi did earlier, she can't bring herself to say no.

 

" just in case you go with your mother, you don't say that kind of things. Do you understand me? " Irene asked Seulgi who's attention is like a kid's.

 

Seulgi stopped from eating and rested her chin on her palm " but I won't do such thing for my mom, she doesn't need saving " she said.

 

Irene frowned " and I don't need any either "

 

" I don't think so? " Seulgi said " don't your ears tingle from every time people mention my mother when it shouldn't be? I mean I always see your interviews on the internet and there are no, not even one interview that my mother's name is not mentioned and hearing it personally today— I can't help it " 

 

Irene looked very amused at the 17 years old girl in front of her— am I just being comforted by this kid? And all of the people, from the daughter who made me feel worthless? Irene can't believe what she's feeling right now, it's ridiculous.

 

" from now on, if I ever hear that kind of treatment again and I'm around— I can't promise that I won't speak up " Seulgi said before continuing on eating her ice cream.

 

" why? " 

 

Seulgi obviously froze but composed herself quickly before answering to Irene's question " because I like unnie " she smiled radiantly.

 

 


 

 

" what? " Irene's eyes widened to hear what her manager just said " can... can you repeat what you just said? " with her gritted teeth and clenched fist, she's controlling her emotion.

 

Her manager just bit his lips and avoided Irene's eyes before saying the news again " the... " he faked a cough like he's trying to get the words that kept being stuck on his throat " you are not going to do the movie with director Lim, he suddenly changed the actor line-up... " his voice was covered by fear and pity.

 

" why is that so? " she calmly asked. She looks collected and calm but in the inside, she's boiling and anger is filling up her heart.

 

" about the scandal that surfaced the internet weeks ago, director Lim said that he doesn't want to work with actors that have a mess in their name. The movie is highly anticipated by many and it will be director Lim's last one before he retires so he wants everything to be perfect " her manager thoroughly explains.

 

Hearing the petty reason for why she suddenly got kicked out of the film, Irene can't help but burst out— cursing every damn media outlet that keeps on putting out ridiculous news about her being a mistress of the heir of the largest electronics company in the country.

 

" I'll talk to him " Irene sternly said which her manager immediately opposed—

 

" we can't really do anything about it Irene-ssi " her manager pleads for her to calm down " even the agency didn't do anything because they knew nothing's going to change— you know director Lim "

 

Irene just fell back on her seat as she accepts her defeat with a heavy heart— that damn...

 

A celebrity's name is usually getting tailed by malicious issues and scandals, those horrible rumors are like a shadow of their fame. The famous and relevant you are in the industry, the horrible and vile the issues will tail you. It's as if people behind the media are not thinking of what consequence it will be, they just threw out information that they don't even know if it's true or not.

 

 

Seulgi stopped from humming some song when she noticed that Irene's already awake, displeased eyes were showing " uhh... hello, unnie? " Seulgi cautiously said, brows twitching as she gets chills from how Irene looks at her.

 

" don't you have your own room " Irene asked " you have, right? Then why are you always barging inside my room whenever I'm sleeping? " she continued, sitting up to talk to the younger girl properly.

 

Irene is at her parent's house, she doesn't want to be alone at her apartment for now and for some odd reason, her parent's house has always been very calming and peaceful except when her step-sister is at the house as well.

 

" it's not the time for breakfast, lunch or dinner— what do you need from me? " Irene sounds so tired and done, she just wants to ask the girl what she needs to get rid of her quickly because she's not in the mood to entertain anyone.

 

" my aircon broke so... " Seulgi explains.

 

" this whole place is large, there are vacant rooms or you can even go to your mother's room— why do you keep on bothering the hell out of me? Is it fun? " Seulgi shook her head, fingers started to fidget.

 

Head slightly down, Seulgi started to talk in a low and apologetical voice " I've... I've seen the news and I thought you will feel better if you have someone beside you at this kind of times... so I went here " she explains.

 

Irene is all around the news right now, her name is trending in every social media outlet because of some rumor that has very baseless evidence— but being people are, they are believing it and attacking Irene.

 

" ya " Seulgi raised her head to look at Irene " I've been in this industry for years now, I've encountered more horrible things than this and look at me, I'm still alive. I've encountered numerous malicious issues about me but I'm fine. Don't flatter yourself too much from what happened last time, I don't really need you "

 

" you've faced those things all by yourself but now that I'm practically around, I don't want for you to be alone. I'm here so you can somehow— " Irene cut Seulgi off.

 

Irene let off a mocking laugh " wae? What can 17 years old kid can do? Don't make me laugh " she said, she's done with the conversation and she just wants for the girl to get out of her sight " and who are you to me? You're just my step-sister's daughter, we don't even share the same blood. Seulgi, you're practically a stranger to me "

 

That made Seulgi shut , head immediately dropped and have her step back from Irene " I'm... I'm sorry " she softly murmured before walking out of Irene's room.

 

Irene shut her eyes, bit her lip as she runs her fingers through her hair " I shouldn't have... " she let out a grunt, kicking her blanket to free her legs from it " I shouldn't have poured my annoyance on her " she sighed.

 

Irene might feel guilty about what she said but it's too late to take her words back, she knew that she took her words far than it should be.

 

Maybe it's for the good, she'll stop bugging me from now on, she thought to herself as she let the water stream down onto her body, feeling the cold water waking her up. 

 

After taking a shower, Irene put on casual wear and went to grab her hat, face mask and car key. There's no way she's going to stay at the house after what she did, she'll just going to get stressed out by guilt if she stayed at the house for another hour or so.

 

" ija " Seulgi found her grandmother has already sat beside her " are you okay? I've been calling you multiple times now, do you have any problem? It seems like you have a lot of things on your mind "

 

Seulgi flashed a smile " I'm okay mawmaw " she lied. Of course, she's not okay, after hearing those words from Irene, she's completely not okay. 

 

"  aigoo " her grandmother sighed " I guess you're getting bored here in the house, having no one to hang out with. I can't really hang out with you because I'm too old for that " she felt sorry for her grandchild.

 

" it's okay mawmaw. Really, I'm fine " Seulgi flashed a brighter smile to ease her grandmother's worry.

 

" here " her grandmother took out a black card from her clutch and handed it to Seulgi " go out and explore but be sure to bring a driver with you because I bet you are not familiar with the directions and don't go home too late. Alright? " she smiled at Seulgi, a very loving one.

 

I guess it's true that grandparents really do spoil their grandchildren, Seulgi thought.

 

Seulgi went out with a driver, she's doesn't really want to go and wander around since she's not in the mood but her grandmother insisted her to. Her grandmother even asked the driver to bring Seulgi to different places where teenagers usually come— Seulgi felt bad for being bothersome to the driver but what can she do with her grandmother's orders?

 

" ma'am we're here " the driver said as the car stops in front of a cafe.

 

" do you want to come inside with me? Let's eat? " Seulgi invited the driver but the man in his mid-40s only smiled shyly and shook his her, rejecting Seulgi's offer " I'll park the car there, you can just go there whenever you're done " he said instead.

 

Seulgi hopped out of the car— she's used to being alone when she eats but the place where their driver left her is something that doesn't impress her " there's a lot of cafe better than this in States " she sighs as she looks at the cafe in front of her.

 

She's hesitating on whether she'll go inside or no " but if I won't where would I go? " she asks herself. She sighed for the second time and about to leave and ask the driver to bring her to another place when she notices a ruckus going on inside the cafe— 

 

Seulgi's never been fond of troubles and hassles but then she found herself walking inside the cafe to see what on hell is happening in there.

 

People have their phones up, continuous flashes as they try hard to capture what's happening " omo, is that really Irene? That Bae Irene? " Seulgi overhead from one of the girls beside her and the name caught her attention quickly " the news say that she's a mistress and I guess it's true, having the legal wife splash water on her " a bunch of little giggled stung Seulgi's ears.

 

Seulgi made her way to confirm what she just heard, pushing away people that are blocking her way " you... " Seulgi witnessed a middle-aged woman holding a glass of water and her unnie looking like a wet duck.

 

" how dare you— " just in time when Irene is about to get a slap, Seulgi blocked it making her the one to receive the slap, it echoed around the place mixing with the sound of a gasp from all the watchers like they are watching some kind of drama for free.

 

" ya " Seulgi places her hand on her redding cheeks, her cheeks felt numb from that hit " are you a man? Why do you hit so hard!? " she annoyedly said. Coming from States, Seulgi never grew up with age hierarchy so she sometimes fails to remember how she should adjust herself with the country that she's currently in.

 

" ya!? " the woman only raised her brows " do you know who you are talking to!? "

 

" aish " Seulgi softly cursed and turned her back from the woman to face Irene who's eyes are widely opened and mouth slightly gapped from shock " are you okay unnie? " she asked.

 

" are you ignoring me!? " the woman harshly pulled Seulgi's shoulder to make her turn around " are you a fan of this !? Kid, you shouldn't be idolizing a mistress, you might turn into one if you do " an insulting smile was written across the woman's lips which completely irked Seulgi.

 

" look, I'm trying to mind my manner ma'am, please don't push me to be rude to you " again, Seulgi turned around to see Irene's state, taking off her jacket to put it around Irene's shoulder " let's go unnie " she said as she tries to help Irene up.

 

" yes! Take out that out of here! Take her and never come back! Stop ruining somebody's family! That mistress need to be in hell! " and that was the last shot. Seulgi let go of Irene and finally turned around herself to face the woman—

 

" my unnie is not a mistress " she sternly said " why are you acting up like that? Your husband might be cheating from time to time? You won't be making a mess if your husband is loyal to you " Seulgi nods her head, mocking the older woman in front of her.

 

" Seulgi... " Irene grabbed Seulgi's arm, stopping the girl from opening any further " stop now, let's go " Irene's eyes were pleading making Seulgi follow what she wants and they both made their way out of the cafe.

 

" our driver drove me here, the car is parked nearby " Irene shook her head and instead dragged Seulgi towards where her car is parked.

 

" I'll call mom to say that you're with me "

 

" then how about the driver? He might be waiting for me "

 

" I'll ask mom to message the driver as well "

 

Irene started to drive off, no one's talking— the whole car remained silent as Irene continues to drive. The silent drive ended up at the Han river—

 

" are... are you okay unnie? " Seulgi softly asked as she plays with her fingers.

 

" yes "

 

" don't you think we should make a complaint about what she did? "

 

" no " Irene's answers were playing with either yes or no until Seulgi run out of questions to ask her.

 

" didn't I tell you that you shouldn't be doing that kind of thing? " Irene looked at Seulgi who's head immediately dropped.

 

" I'm sorry "

 

" why... why do you always... " Irene sighed " why? " 

 

" I already told you unnie, because I like you " that makes no sense for Irene. Like? We've never seen each other throughout her growing up years! The last time I saw her was when she's 2 years old and that's it. How the hell can she like me as her unnie? I've never been an unnie to her.

 

" I'm not the person you think I am " Irene tries hard to grasp into the situation.

 

" you don't need to be the person who I think you are "  Irene definitely don't get Seulgi and she can't read what the girl is thinking.

 

" I'm sorry for always bothering you unnie " Seulgi looked at Irene and found out that the older girl already has her eyes fixed on her " I've always adored you since the time that I am able to figure that I am living in this world " she shyly chuckled.

 

" I've watched you performed on television, your interviews on youtube. I've always bought your album and downloaded your songs on my phone, I've loved listening to you unnie " Seulgi shyly confesses " maybe that's why I thought that we're close enough, I'm sorry for crossing my line "

 

" I'll never enter your room ever again or talk to you if you're not in your mood or force my presence when you don't need it " Seulgi paused " but don't refrain me for protecting you " it's funny to hear a 17 years old say that to me, Irene can't help but to ridicule the girl's words but somehow, oddly, that 17 years old girl is making her feel safe and comfortable. It's weird.

 

" I'm sorry too " Irene lifted her hand to reach for Seulgi's hair " and thank you " she briefly ruffled the girl's hair.

 

" but unnie, why didn't you fought back earlier? Why did you just let her do that to you? " there was a hint of annoyance on the younger girl's voice which Irene found it very adorable. 

 

" I guess because I knew that you were coming " she jokily said— dodging off the question.

 

" seriously unnie! "

 

" fasten up your seatbelt, we're going back " Irene completely ignored the question and started the car's engine—

 

" if you keep on being nice, people will always take advantage of you! " 

 

" shut up now and fasten your seatbelt " Irene repeated.

 

Seulgi sighed and followed Irene's orders " I don't understand you unnie " she said " you could have just smacked that woman in her face or something! " Irene giggled at Seulgi reenactment of that 'smack'.

 

" you'll never understand because you're not in my place " I didn't want to cause any more issue under my name, fighting back will only fire a lot more of controversies and I'm tired of it.

 

" it to be young, people tend to belittle our understanding " 

 

" to be you then "